As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] vs the unending tide of grey plastic

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Taking care of family members with terminal illnesses is what got me back into painting originally. It was something quiet I could do to keep busy while watching them, and when they were awake it was easy to maintain a conversation.

As far as bad hand problems, try painting primed white models with nothing but successive washes and dry brushing. You avoid a lot of the wrist motions that dick up your joints, and can get some really neat effects with minimal effort.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    Taking care of family members with terminal illnesses is what got me back into painting originally. It was something quiet I could do to keep busy while watching them, and when they were awake it was easy to maintain a conversation.

While not as serious as terminal illness, I'm a carer for my partner and can confirm that it's an excellent and productive way in which to pass the time while keeping them company.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Also, shifted the Heldrake, another £70 for the kids Christmas funds. In addition:

l1vowhmz7fqn.jpg

Kneel on
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Phewwww haven't painted in years

Test model for my Skitarii Skaven color scheme, please give protip

d6iPAFNl.jpg

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Arch wrote: »

Protip: Keep doing exactly what you're doing.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »

d6iPAFNl.jpg

The skin tone / red / green is already a really good combination of colors! Maybe a little *very* light gray-blue patina on the metal?

• Options
    TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    I have a little bit more cleanup to do, but as a test run Anvils of Heldenhammer Liberator I'm pretty happy with it.

jGOFWH9.jpg?3
    SNjXHxS.jpg?3
    6RZKX6b.jpg?2
    bPOyOyf.jpg?2

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    That looks prett good and the highlights are nice and clean.

If you wanted you could add a another light grey highlight for the sharpest edges. It could make it look even more like shiny black armour.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So in the next week or so I'm going to actually start paining the Abyssal Dwarfs I'm finally getting around to finish putting together, and I'm trying to figure out a good paint scheme. For skin I think I'll go with grey like Duergar, with brass or bronze for their metal stuff, and black for details and symbols. I was thinking of making their beards white, but I might go with something more "normal", like brown or reddish, and for the color of like robes and shields and stuff I was thinking maybe orange. Mostly it's the beard/hair color and the main base color for clothing and non-metal equipment I'm still trying to decide on. Trying to go with an "Ariagful Goddess of Dark Flame" theme, but I don't want to make them too "monochromatic" as my brother put it (too much black, white, and gray everywhere) though I might go for it if my brass/bronze and (probably orange)? makes up for it.

Can you make that sort of monochromatic spectrum with a lot of your stuff look interesting, or should I shy away from having too many related shades the same non-color?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I'd say go full monochromatic on their skin and armor, but then contrast it with super bright flaming beards. Like full on bright fire effects for all their hair and eyebrows.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Speaking of fire, is there any sort of clear plasticine style material that is thick enough to stay in position but still malleable before it dries hard?

After watching a tutorial on building river terrain I thought that if there was a way to use intermingled/swirled thin layers of red/orange/yellow tinted "clear" material on an individual miniature it might make for a pretty cool fire effect if it was applied on top of paint on a Legion of the Damned marine.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Still working on Chenkov. I'm pretty close to being done.

20170328_232520_zpsidztjlug.jpg

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Speaking of fire, is there any sort of clear plasticine style material that is thick enough to stay in position but still malleable before it dries hard?

After watching a tutorial on building river terrain I thought that if there was a way to use intermingled/swirled thin layers of red/orange/yellow tinted "clear" material on an individual miniature it might make for a pretty cool fire effect if it was applied on top of paint on a Legion of the Damned marine.

This gives me ideas, green for the sludge on the plagueclaw catapults....

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ok. I think im done. All I need to do is base him and cote him.

20170330_035859_zpsdcfpxurt.jpg
    20170330_035907_zpsbhkbfiij.jpg

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Not my best, but donesies.

b97db3aj137j.jpg

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Dang, you're starting to get close to Komets with your sharp details! Props! (also congrats on another weekly top on CMON!).
    ED: what's that brown metal on the backpack? Washed silver or some actual bronze?

Mayday on
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Mayday wrote: »
    Dang, you're starting to get close to Komets with your sharp details! Props! (also congrats on another weekly top on CMON!).
    ED: what's that brown metal on the backpack? Washed silver or some actual bronze?

A mix of balth gold and vallejo polished gold, washed with aggrax and rehighlighted to gold. Then I added metal medium to the gold for the brightest spots.

Edit: and thank you! But I'm nowhere near Ben's level yet.

Kneel on
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Anyone have good resources for doing talons/horns? I have to paint huge 3 arak spiders for an army and have no idea how to do their big smooth talons.

I was thinking of going with this tutorial but its not quite what I was looking for. I am worried that method might only look ok on craggy horns and not smooth talons.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Anyone have good resources for doing talons/horns? I have to paint huge 3 arak spiders for an army and have no idea how to do their big smooth talons.

I was thinking of going with this tutorial but its not quite what I was looking for. I am worried that method might only look ok on craggy horns and not smooth talons.

I learned the glazing technique for claws and horns from Duncan in the second part of his Putrid Blightkings video - it's the first bit he paints here:

https://youtu.be/urm-lWXxtJ0
    Excellent tutorial that opened up the possibilities of glazing to me.

Kneel on
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Straight onto building Rowboat. The sprue layout is fantastic as it manages to avoid most of the mold lines.
    ox05nlbvrq97.jpg

In addition I've accepted my first commission job, painting five Khorgaroths for a friend at £20 a head. Airbrush batch painting will speed things up so hopefully it's an easy £100.

Kneel on
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    Well, I gave over 25 models and he said they would be done in 2 weeks.

2 week! That's more than I've painted in 2 years. And it'll only be $50.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Jebus, he's working for pittance.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    I'm going to be working on some Vallhallans for a friend soon. 25 dudes and 2 tanks, I'm getting paid a whopping Grave Guard box.

• Options
    Speaking of which, I've finally been hired to paint a mini to mu highest abilities - gonna be the DW Watch Master. We'll see how that goes.

• Options
    He used to work for GW too. Said he had a cover of WD, but I can't remember which one.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    @valhalla130 unless we're talking about some super basic speedpainting, that's ridiculous. I charge five bucks minimum for a standard SM (and they're really easy to paint!), and I live in the second world, goddamnit!

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Yeah. Wut.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Well, I gave over 25 models and he said they would be done in 2 weeks.

2 week! That's more than I've painted in 2 years. And it'll only be $50.

Unless he's mostly doing it just for the heck of it and money doesn't matter, or as a favor, that's some bizarre pricing. Less than $2 a model? I always evaluate commission work based on hours per model. "Paint that guy to your requested level? 3 hours work at $X per hour. For that whole squad? Y hours."

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    You sure he didn't mean fifty each? Because two bucks a model barely covers the time spent unpacking them, never mind painting…
    On the other hand, if they do come through at that price, can we get their details?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
  • Options
    SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
    The way that company is headed, it really wouldn't surprise me that this was real.

Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I had almost forgotten that tomorrow was "Fuck you, internet" day again.
    Time flys.

• Options
    Something something April 1st.

https://youtu.be/DJ9w9J7gfJI

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Got some group shots of my evil Frostgrave posse.
    My particular magicman is a dark sorcerer who I've named 'Maligno' and his crew of nefarious minions. I really wanted to go for a whole 80's/90's fantasy movie movie theme: lots of purples and blacks, Jim Hensonesque muppet monsters, and killer bad guy names like 'Maligno'.

First up is the necromancer himself, and his not-so-loyal apprentice, 'Zurko'. His magic wand is a frog with a stick up it's bum.
    frostgrave_sorcerer01.jpg
    frostgrave_sorcerer02.jpg

Next are some of the better paid henchmen, and a lovable muppet.
    frostgrave_soldiers01.jpg

These guys are the grunts. They carry treasure, get into brawls, and complain a lot.
    frostgrave_henchmen01.jpg

Plucky archers who are responsible for the majority of my kill tally, and a very flimsy skeleton who distracts the enemy by falling apart and reanimating repeatedly.
    frostgrave_archers01.jpg

And finally a nice group shot.
    frostgrave_warband01.jpg

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Amazing!
    I love the muppet guy the best. Any more planned?

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Warbands in frostgrave cap out at 10 guys (plus the summoned skeleton), so unless I plan on hiring some more esoteric henchmen like barbarians, monks, or bards, this will probably be the set. They're already veterans in @Sharp101 's campaign, and we might be transitioning over to 'this is not a test' (or shadow war). Making skirmish sized warbands is such a nice break from my main army, and this is the first fantasy one I've done. Made entirely from bitzbox parts I had kicking around from other conversions (mostly empire men at arms that I used as inquisitorial crusaders)

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Oh my god, I just tried to do some edge highlighting on an infantry model and absolutely massacred it

My hands are very shaky. Looks like I'm going to be practicing drybrushing and washes instead.

Edit: on top of this I simply cannot get my paints not to run and smear everywhere. They seem to be extremely thin no matter what I do. I've tried shaking them by hand or spinning them with a power drill at maximum speed and they run everywhere, even when I tried with an unwetted brush. What am i doing wrong? I guess I need to drop something in there as an agitator.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    NastrondNastrond Registered User regular
    I did some experimentation. Honest opinions? Primary concern I have is that it might be a little too dark or not have enough contrast to be visually interesting. Needs to be re-based for sure, boots are pretty flat/bad, and I think I really need to hit the gold with some highlighting of some sort. Also a little concerned it looks a bit too much like a sham job, but can't decide.

hcsr7c5bh6is.jpg

My normal painting looks like this.

a0hjhfc05rtc.jpg

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Oh my god, I just tried to do some edge highlighting on an infantry model and absolutely massacred it

My hands are very shaky. Looks like I'm going to be practicing drybrushing and washes instead.

Edit: on top of this I simply cannot get my paints not to run and smear everywhere. They seem to be extremely thin no matter what I do. I've tried shaking them by hand or spinning them with a power drill at maximum speed and they run everywhere, even when I tried with an unwetted brush. What am i doing wrong? I guess I need to drop something in there as an agitator.

An agitator might help, or you might not be doing anything wrong; some paints are just super thin. If you want to thicken it up, you could try adding a drop of Vallejo Retarder to some paint on your pallette. The Retarder is thick like gel, and I've found (since I'm using it to, y'know, retard the paint drying) that I often have to thin the paint back down to a usable consistency.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

First up, what brand paint are you using?

This discussion has been closed.