As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] vs the unending tide of grey plastic

• Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    J wrote: »
    This is why I asked how you found the build.

Fair enough. It seemed fine until I found it in pieces.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I recall when I had to do some of these, I used a really rough file to make sure the surfaces we were gluging together actually had good bonding points.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Hindsight and all that I guess.

On the bright side, It happened before you put time into paint. Once you feel up to it again you can still apply any lessons learned without worrying about screwing a paint job on top of it.

• Options
    Absolutely.

To make matters worse, I don't handle mistakes well, and spend a lot of time beating myself up for perceived failures, knee-jerk reacting in the worst and most self-deprecating way.

Thankfully Mrs Kneel knows how to help me out of this, that patient soul.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Steer clear of the Storm Eagle kit.

I get terrible pre-build anxiety about every single model I do all because of that thing.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    I just completed my massive Skaven Renegade & Heretic army in time for the Astronomicon tourny in Toronto this weekend!
    I've been wanting to make this army since imperial armour 13 dropped with the R&H army list, and I knew Skaven were going to be my go to because I think they're such a great and characterful range of models (also I already have a guard army, and I didn't want to repeat myself!). With the way the R&H (and the Vraks horde list in particular) can respawn, this is truly the epitome of an endless ravening horde of evil minions (backed up by some colossus stompy robots)!
    I started collecting parts for assembly about a year ago, grabbing bits off ebay. The Skaven Clanrats were perfect to buy in bulk, coming in around only .50cents per model, but then I also needed to stock up on Dark Eldar arms for pistols and melee weapons. The DE arms are a perfect fit and aesthetic, but I had to do a -lot- of shaving off clanrat left arms (shield arms) to add pistol/weapon combos to the majority of the infantry.
    Painting the chaff was geared purely for production line efficiency. They're 3 point models, so they only need to look good 'en masse. Primed brown, basecolour grey/red/metal, a quick dip in Army Painter Strong Tone, sprayed with Dullcoat, pick out eyes/teeth/rivets and base with copious amounts of blood. The majority of the 100 or so infantry models were painted in about a month, on and off.

The army consists of 6x 15 man infantry squads (that respawn on a 2+), 3 Helbrutes, 3 Soul Grinders (see my P&M Blog thread!), 3 Rapiers, and assorted support/command infantry.
    chaos-ratswarm01.jpg
    chaos-ratswarm02.jpg
    chaos-ratswarm03.jpg
    chaos-ratswarm04.jpg
    chaos-ratswarm05.jpg

The Vermin Lord, who's difficult to photograph because of his hunchy pose.
    chaos-ratswarm-lord.jpg

Some officers and banner/sigil bearers to keep the scum in line. The Stormvermin kit is great, and helps to bring the horde up to a more human sized height.
    chaos-ratswarm-officers.jpg

A few flamer carriers (each squad has 2). The flamers are cut down Kroot Rifles, Cadian flamer packs, and some wire for the hose.
    chaos-ratswarm-flamers.jpg

Lascannon Disciple team. They come with the Lord, but they snipe things pretty well.
    chaos-ratswarm-lasteam.jpg

Laser Destroyer Rapier Battery cobbled together from some Manic Forgefather tracks and a bunch of random bits. I know they're supposed to have quad lascannons, but I could'nt figure out a way to make that look good. So they just have magic dragon heads that gives them extra powa'.
    chaos-ratswarm-rapiers.jpg

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
  • Options
    That's quite the infestation.

... of awesome.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    Hokay, palette-cleanser model chosen, and a fair bit of progress made in an hour or so.

Would have been longer but Mrs Kneel is in agony with gallstone pain :(

e19vzbuw4jcg.jpg

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    The army consists of 6x 15 man infantry squads (that respawn on a 2+), 3 Helbrutes, 3 Soul Grinders (see my P&M Blog thread!), 3 Rapiers, and assorted support/command infantry and four hundred-thousand tons of gore and offal.

Fixed that for you.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Well, occasionally the rest of us need to post something so that we're not all constantly feeling inadequate.

It's been something like a year and a half since I first put primer on this, but I finally started actually painting it and it's getting pretty close to done. Mostly just the lantern and the face left.

p17kr1p7ae2v.jpg
    sj6j52vifr79.jpg

I decided to give that non-metal metal thing a shot; I think I like it quite a bit more than metallics.

• Options
    I likes it, those greens really pop.

I shall hide my update behind a spoiler:
    ow1mul5m0u0a.jpg

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Man, Clayface has seen better days.

• Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    Dat horn

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    @McGibs I saw that on one of my blogs this morning and got really excited

Also, you're encouraging me to finish my 40k skaven army.....

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Kneel wrote: »
    I likes it, those greens really pop.

I shall hide my update behind a spoiler:
    ow1mul5m0u0a.jpg

Do you just completely finish sections of a model and work your way across until it's finished? I've never seen anyone do that, it's usually basecoat -> trim -> details -> highlights.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    The base/shade/layer is my method for batch painting, or when I'm doing a bare-minimum job for eBay.

But I took Ben Komets' advice in painting standout models, whereby you paint one segment at a time and maximise the contrast as you go.

It's working pretty well so far.

Kneel on
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    So for Astronomi-con this year I revamped my failed attempt at a Word Bearers army from a few years back. Big blobs of marines didn't work, so lets try the new Legion rules and take Cultists and summon stuff!

The tournament is tomorrow and I still have work to do, so proper pictures will have to wait.

StcT741.jpg?2

KRHdiBG.jpg?2

wNdl5I9.jpg?2

efTHzRi.jpg?2

yPWLV7y.jpg?2

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Awesome armies, Sharp and Gibs! Nothing quite as inspiring to work on my own stuff as a well painted army. In fact, a single masterclass mini will sometimes discourage in comparison.

ANYWAY. Do you think a purple cloak fits this colourscheme?
    NugnQpb.jpg

EDIT: stop awesoming this, it's just a mock-up! :P

Mayday on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Yes, it's an excellent piece of contrast on top of being amazingly painted.

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    ...that's a photoshop mockup though -_-

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Mayday wrote: »

Well, all you need to do now is paint it up like that, then reap the awesomes all over again.

• Options
    It's a perfect contrast. Reminds me of Ahriman's box art.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Wow, Mayday, that cloak is perfect. Definitely the best thing you've ever painted. The rest is fine too but the blending on the cloak, wow.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I did a thing. Well, 3.5 things (one of the Fusiliers was mostly done already).

zEJ6GBsh.jpg

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Still just basecoating to test the color scheme, but I think I like BRIGHT COLORS OMG.

IZfpSP4.jpg

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Mayday wrote: »

The purple tones really tie it into the blues, while keeping the ice contrast of the red.

zEJ6GBsh.jpg

Damn it Keenbean, stop being better at everything I do even when I'm trying to do it first!

I think you also need to include a 40k figure in there, as well as an artist's hand to show just how fiddly small those infinity figures are.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    BRIGHT COLORS OMG

I like it. It fits the theme of underground miners/construction workers/industrial employees that are the standard targets of a Genestealer infestation. Heavy equipment is usually high-vis red/orange/yellow.

Also, semi related, I now have a strange urge to watch Outland again.

• Options
    Crossposting from the 40k thread to show my rat swarms in action:
    astro2017-gameplay01.jpg
    astro2017-gameplay02.jpg
    astro2017-gameplay03.jpg
    astro2017-gameplay04.jpg
    astro2017-gameplay05.jpg
    astro2017-gameplay06.jpg
    astro2017-gameplay07.jpg
    astro2017-ratswarm01.jpg

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular

zEJ6GBsh.jpg

Now paint my Ariadna shit.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I've been working on a kill team for Shadow Wars as a little diversion, the Dark Eldar Wych kit is one of my favourites, but even when I had a DE army I only ever had ten of them cos they just weren't that useful on the table, still, it was fun to paint some up again.

DSCN0554_zpszc1zwmsl.jpg
    DSCN0555_zpszc0as0b0.jpg

DSCN0556_zpsjrxnh1yh.jpg

DSCN0557_zpsu8iiv8iv.jpg

DSCN0558_zpst1zsh2f0.jpg

DSCN0559_zpszamzthgd.jpg

I need to stop taking photos to closely, it really shows up my flaws, oh well!
    I guess I should actually get some proper games of Shadow Wars in now.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Super cool, love the scheme!

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    I finally finished something that's not a bunch of skeletons.

Now back to batch painting a bunch of skeletons.

xku2sztr18mz.jpg

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Slow progress, but progress nonetheless.

rdumrmc5f2o4.jpg

Keeping the main skin colour simple (Zamesi Desert, desaturated with a drop of black) makes it easy to keep things consistent. The highlights and shadows are done via loaded-brush wet blending and glazes.

Kneel on
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    Lies. That's just a bunch of skeletons wearing a dinosaur costume.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    McGibs wrote: »
    Lies. That's just a bunch of skeletons wearing a dinosaur costume.

Oy, I was about to make that joke!

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    C-y7KBEXYAA21Zu.jpg
    Finally got this asshole finished

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    From me to you, a note about ... several things:

Months ago - I won't claim to remember the exact day or month - I purchased a little book about colour theory. It quietly and politely went onto my book shelf. Then it politely went into a box when I moved. Then it quietly went back on the bookshelf. Yesterday I decided I was finally going to read my little purchase.

You see, my monthly Gunpla meetup was last weekend, and I put together a nice little HG (that's High Grade [the cheap, entry-grade kits] for those not in the know) that I really liked and wanted to paint nicely. I still want and need more practice with my airbrush, and with far fewer pieces than the other kits awaiting paint, it became the perfect project. Commit myself and bang out a complete suit by next meetup. But I was really, really hung up on the colour scheme. This, sadly, is something I'm finding about myself in general - apparently I want more than the 10ish standard colours that we can see. So to try and break this spell of indecision I pulled my politely quiet book off the shelf and read through its 60 or so pages.
    The honest truth is that I knew a lot more that was in there than I expected to. Partly, this is because I've been doing these things for years. Partly, it is because the book was hardly advanced. Then again, I'm not sure exactly how one would write an encyclopedia on colour theory and make it approachable to a novice. But I digress. The one thing I'll fully admit I didn't know was proper mixing theory. I knew about the colour wheel, and I knew about complimentary, analogous, monochromatic (etc, etc) colour rules. But I'd long been limiting myself to the colours that were in my paint box and only the most basic of mixing between them; I still did the amateur thing of routinely adding white to a colour and little else. And while reading my little book hasn't exactly revealed the mysteries of the colourful universe to my little brain, this bit of information - this entirely basic bit of information that I just never learned or took the time to seek out - gave me a perspective I desperately needed.

This morning I hopped on to a colour scheme picker and searched out a nice swatch using the two main colours I wanted to use (purple and orange). Where previously this exercise would involve me looking for something I could approximate, today I took pleasure in looking at the colours on my screen and asking myself how I could make them. What would be the right starting point? What would I need to add to make these different colours? How come I didn't do this sooner?

You see, while I had more than those basic colours, I probably still had fewer than 100 (about what's in my paint box). But now? Now it feels like I have thousands. Tens of thousands. More.

TL;DR:
    We all get stuck sometimes no matter our skill level. You can always learn something new, and often it will come from the most unexpected places. Never forget the basics. Try not to miss them in the first place.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I'm considering getting a magnetised bottom case for my Malifaux stuff. Unfortunately it's all on resin bases, so I'll need to drill in to the bottom of the base to fit a magnet.

How hard is it doing this for already based models? Bear in mind I already have a dremel so I'll just need to get an appropriately sized drill bit.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I'm considering getting a magnetised bottom case for my Malifaux stuff. Unfortunately it's all on resin bases, so I'll need to drill in to the bottom of the base to fit a magnet.

How hard is it doing this for already based models? Bear in mind I already have a dremel so I'll just need to get an appropriately sized drill bit.
    I put magnets in the feet of some Malifaux stuff, and pretty much just twirled the drill bit between my fingers to make holes for the magnets. I would assume the bases aren't much worse; you can get a little holder for drill bits that might help, but I dunno that I would try to use a Dremel tool.

This discussion has been closed.