As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] vs the unending tide of grey plastic

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    IMO that is still too thin. Paint should stay on the raised areas when you're putting on the base colour.
    Remember that apart from the consistency, you also need to mind the amount of paint on the brush (i.e. wipe off the excess).

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2017
    If you get pooling (and it's not a wash), there's too much in the brush. You want the brush closer to the damp end of the scale for basecoating.

It'll dry faster too for the next coat.

Echo on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    What does pooling look like?

I guess that fits. Whenever I started the paint went on much more like I would expect, and then it would get fairly thin and scratchy, and then by the end it felt like I was using a lot more...

Edit: okay. Second pass went much faster, taking 30 minutes. It used less paint and I squeezed out the sponge more, and it is looking much better!

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Color is starting to emerge! Though I think the spot on my wet palate where I put the white was not wet enough, so the paint came out thick (and I'm still fighting my brush a bit).

Still, it's a base coat, and I'm glad I've got something other than blue to look at.

qWzQB83h.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    A pair of 2x4 boards under this (to make them easier to put away) and we're cooking.

Can't really fit a 6x4 table in my apartment, but I have plenty of friends with 6x4 tables.

ujg2xbxralby.jpg

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Man, that is the best painted cat I've ever seen, but that's a weird base you have it on.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Painted this a few days ago. pewpew

CEkT0usl.jpg

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Painted this a few days ago. pewpew

CEkT0usl.jpg

I think I have to put some specular highlights on some of my "finished" models. Damn you!

Is that a straight up black as main colour or a dark grey?

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    3:1 panzer grey - black then sprayed from underneath in pure black then panel lined with black.

But in the future I intend to start with pure black.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    How long does something like that take?

• Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    The contractors are demolishing the kitchen ahead of fitting a new one; found this guy under the sink cupboard unit - painted in around 1999.
    3njrjn2beoze.jpg

Kneel on
    Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    TacoForceTacoForce Registered User regular
    After years of either bashing my head against the wall, or just straight up avoiding it, I finally found a way to paint white that I'm happy with. And his almost finished brother.

enu1nn79az1r.jpg
    fkrpwogtyn53.jpg

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    I can be your angle.... or yuor devil

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Kneel wrote: »
    The contractors are demolishing the kitchen ahead of fitting a new one; found this guy under the sink cupboard unit - painted in around 1999.
    3njrjn2beoze.jpg

Some of the old tyranid design aspect from back then were much more interesting, like the fleshy heads for example.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    3njrjn2beoze.jpg

You gotta repaint him in your new nid scheme.
    He would look boss as hell with a modern paint job

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    My next project will definitely not be space marine related, as all these rivets and small trim areas have murdered any motivation I have to paint. I've got to pull my finger out as well if I'm going to be ready by mid August.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    How about some Mechanicus? I heard you like rivets and armour trims. With AM you can get all that and a bunch of tubes, cables, wires, and cog symbols.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Dayspring wrote: »
    3njrjn2beoze.jpg

You gotta repaint him in your new nid scheme.
    He would look boss as hell with a modern paint job

That's the plan, but he's at the back of the to-do list.

EDIT Man Tyranids got big since then.

Kneel on
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    He makes a good Tyranid Prime due to his size.

• Options
    Chrysis wrote: »
    My next project will definitely not be space marine related, as all these rivets and small trim areas have murdered any motivation I have to paint. I've got to pull my finger out as well if I'm going to be ready by mid August.

DD4vTdSUMAIMeWM.jpg
    I'd better get cracking on these guys too

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Your blue looks really clean, and that battle damaged white looks great!

I really want Eldar just to do a big Wraith host force, but Wraithguard are disappointingly expensive.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    Yeah, Wraith units are currently the most enticing option for Eldar in my opinion. They look great, are all plastic except for the HQ, and the units mostly have good rules.

Regarding the price, yes, they are expensive but at least you dont need a lot of them considering that Wraith infantry cost between 35 and 52 points per model. With power levels you can get a Farseer, a Spiritseer, and 20 Wraith infantry and are already at power level 50. Add two Wraithlords, a Wraithknight and a Hemlock and you're already at 101. Thats 26 models for about 2000 points.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    If I ever did an eldar army it would be an Exodite wraithhost using fantasy treemen. I think they have the right size models for all the wraith types with that recent sylvaneth relaunch.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    Slow progress on account of the kitchen being filled with contractors and barely being able to move in the front room.en2xqxwxmccp.jpg

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    The Robot shows converting and a personality
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYHy9Fq2HME

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Someone switched his CPU from read only to read/write mode.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    A few more Neverborn, this time Nephilim. I've had the stuff from the starter for a while, so I did the Scion and Blood Wretches. Angel Eyes will be next after I bash out a couple more Gremlins.

889301_sm-.JPG
    889302_sm-.JPG

• Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Close to finished. Might choose a different base texture. Also amazing how you don't notice leftovers from clipping until you paint over it and take a picture

rzcrceofe026.jpg

• Options
    There's no better way to spot missed mold lines than taking a picture. It is known.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    That tool that GW sells that removes mold lines
    How does it work?

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    That tool that GW sells that removes mold lines
    How does it work?
    you hold it at roughly 45 degrees to the model and lightly drag it along the mold line,
    I have one and I love it, works a lot better than I was expecting.
    That said, I don't think you need the super special GW tool to get the same effect as any hard metal with a decent edge should do.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    Yeah the back of a craft knife works just fine.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I just use a craft knife gently.

Mayday on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Yeah the back of a craft knife works just fine.

Sometimes I forget and accidentally use the sharp edge. Works the same, just dulls the blade into uselessness.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    wait...you can use the back of a craft knife?

• Options
    Anything small and scrapey really. 'Course that gets fucking complicated with tyranids because of course the mould lines run right down the middle of every scything talon arm.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    I'm trying to put together an old Forgeworld Wave Serpent I had lying around.

I now remember why I didn't start putting it together after I finished lhe last one.

• Options
    Finished this guy. Well, almost finished. I think i'll do his knee blue to tie in to my craftworlders, and his base still needs snow.
    DESUmX0V0AAAyJx.jpg
    DESUmX2UwAAb0Xa.jpg

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    wait...you can use the back of a craft knife?

^

Jester is looking awesome, the blue cape turned out really well!
    I feel like the studs on the back of his cowel could be that bright gold to make 'em pop, but then I just like contrasting studs *browwriggle*

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    I'm rebasing some old models. Phoenix Kings and Wraithguard look so much better on 40mm bases. It should also help with the metal models not falling over so easily and by putting the old bases on top of the new bases it mght also help with the size difference if I should get some plastic Wraithguard.

This discussion has been closed.