As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] vs the unending tide of grey plastic

• KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I picked up a paintbrush.

It's the She Orc from Black Sun Miniatures, but I'm totally styling her after my wife's WoW warrior, Mildrith Valmoria.

Just the base greens and the mid thigh shading done so far.

yua52vuuogbj.jpg

Kneel on
    Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    The Idoneth Deakin are finally an army that could get me in Age of Sigmar. I liked the Old World of Fantasy, but did not like the setting of AoS. This army though, whoof.

I felt the same about the Brides of Khaine
    Just I liked the lore of Warhammer but never really got into it past painting the models. AoS seems interesting but I would like to know more about the Aleves

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    I’m converting a Megaboss into a Warboss, and I had a question: I want him to have a kustom shoota that’s belt fed out of a drum on his back, does anyone have any advice on making or kitbashing an ammo belt?

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Since I am working on my NOVA list and I am planning on taking at least one group of oblits I need to convert some because I hate the obliterator models.

I am thinking taking Primaris Aggressors+green stuff to build them out.

The base would be something like this but with some greenstuff fleshmetal virus.

oblit1.jpg

Now I have never used green stuff. Any advice on what to get and maybe blogs/videos on how to use it?

u7stthr17eud.png
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Space wolves terminator kit assault cannon.
    I never tried it but Zinge industries makes flexible ammo belts and cables for miniatures.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    I’m converting a Megaboss into a Warboss, and I had a question: I want him to have a kustom shoota that’s belt fed out of a drum on his back, does anyone have any advice on making or kitbashing an ammo belt?

Tip № 1. Don’t bother. There are places out there that will sell you pre-made belts in resin that you can bend to fit.
    Tip № 2. Buy a box of Flash Gitz; enough random ammo belts in various sizes to wrap around the world. Plus you get some flash gitz too.
    Tip № 3. Armoured belts are easier (less fiddly) than link belts as you don’t have to show individual cartridges; try cutting rectangular plastic rod into equal lengths, drilling a pair of small holes through each, and string it he links on like beads. You can fill gaps with putty after.
    Tip № 4. If you simply must have an open-link belt, make many equal lengths of plastic or brass tube to be the shell cases. Press these side-by-side into a thin strip of semi-set putty, then place another strip of fresher putty on top. Remember I specified tubes? Next you fill the tube with rod that is offset slightly so it sticks out one end (the bullet) and dimples the other (centre fire primer). Now apply tiny blobs of putty to make the bullets.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    honovere wrote: »
    Space wolves terminator kit assault cannon.
    I never tried it but Zinge industries makes flexible ammo belts and cables for miniatures.

Can confirm. Their fexible belts are fantastic.
    https://www.zinge.co.uk/collections/flexible-resin/ammo-belts
    (also ork related, they have lots of flexible "3d decals" for things like checkmarks or flame patterns)

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    *huff*huff*

I made it in time before page 100. I had a goal to finish these 6 models because the OP had a wip photo and I couldn't bear the shame.
    Transformation from:
    nOuG90A.jpg?4

(keep in mind I had to do 6 of these jerks)
    They don't photo well. Too much going on, on all angles. I dont have time to make a super fancy rotation gif like some people :)
    dBLvLkv.jpg

It came out with mixed results, but is more than good enough for playing with (they are going to back up my skaven force, hence replacing the demon rider with clan rats) I learned a ridiculous amount about how to greenstuff for future projects, so I call this a win.

edit: Gratuitous booty angle
    6itvRPS.jpg?1

left one took a spill that scraped some paint off. Not sure what I want to do to fix, I might stain the skin with another wash in just that spot and hope it works

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
    Alas it's been far too windy and work really burned be out as of late other wise I would get back in painting
    I did buy the 3 colours shown in the black Templar dry brush video they did since it looks so easy and a way to get back into painting once again
    But today they showed how to use their glazes
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJxmO5Wy_qo

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    I'd spoken to @Bizazedo about some magnets I grabbed (here from amazon.com) and said I'd update when I had a chance to play with them...

Figured I'd throw it out to the whole thread as well. Started small magnetizing the ends of the sponsons on my Plagueburst Carrier so they can be plaguespitters or whatever Nurgle calls a lascannon.

l08jv43c4z8u.jpg

Inexpensive, came with the bits I need to make sure the wholes are spot on... I reset the one on the left a little deeper and glue is drying on everything now. The glue is still a bit tacky but right now they hold really well.

Bigger projects I'd probably place a few for posability and strength, but even one of these little buggers is pretty strong.

All in all 5/5

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    @DiannaoChong

Those drones look great and the wings are fantastic

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edit: Gratuitous booty angle
    *drops a beat*
    "I love BUG butts and I cannot lie
    Thought those other painters might deny!"

• bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I wanted to post my old Necromunda Goliath bikers that need to be finished. But I seem to be missing ONE wheel. :( Anyone have a spare?
    zmQ0V8U.jpg

(nevermind on the extra wheel, found it in an Inquisitor box I forgot I had)

bobAkirafett on
    akirasig.jpg
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    I do have spares, but I'm in the EU.

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Working on a Daemon Prince. All my Khorne daemons are gonna have green skin, so the blood stands out a bit better against it. Trying out some water effects for his base, it seems like it dries blue instead of clear. So he’s probably gonna be walking through churning purple blood once it gets hit with some red. So I guess he’s fighting tyranids or something.
    QsRVCXy.jpg

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    Hey guys,
    I have decided to bust out the Goliath gang from Necromunda as a break from my DeathGuard.
    which has led me to realise I have never painted non-sickly human flesh before, I would like a multicultural gang and would really appreciate some tips on how to go about doing so.
    cheers

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Viking wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    I have decided to bust out the Goliath gang from Necromunda as a break from my DeathGuard.
    which has led me to realise I have never painted non-sickly human flesh before, I would like a multicultural gang and would really appreciate some tips on how to go about doing so.
    cheers

WarhammerTV has a ton of videos on painting different skin tones:

Tan skin
    Lighter tan skin on an Ogryn
    Super pale
    Salamanders black
    More pale skin
    Dark brown skin

You could also look at their videos on how to paint daemonettes or GSC flesh if you wanted an occasional purplish mutant ganger.

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    All my skin painting advice is based on decades old paints that don't exist anymore.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
    All my skin painting advice is based on decades old paints that don't exist anymore.

Well it was this for me but the Warhammer Tv did give me tips about other skin colors I never did because I didn't know how

• VikingViking Registered User regular
    Viking wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    cheers

WarhammerTV has a ton of videos on painting different skin tones:

Tan skin
    Lighter tan skin on an Ogryn
    Super pale
    Salamanders black
    More pale skin
    Dark brown skin

You could also look at their videos on how to paint daemonettes or GSC flesh if you wanted an occasional purplish mutant ganger.
    thanks, these are exactly the kind of thing I was after

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    edited April 2018

This should kinda help if the paint doesn't exist anymore.

bobAkirafett on
    akirasig.jpg
  • ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I put some paint on one of my plastic action dolls. It’s not perfect, or even that great, but I can feel that I know more about what I am doing and how to approach certain areas according to my ability.
    tjjqgfkcasz7.jpeg
    7479ml5tr04c.jpeg

It’s also not done, need to figure out the base.

ShinyRedKnight on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
    Frank Frazetta’s got nothing on that guy, those thighs look more lethal than the sword.

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    I put some paint on one of my plastic action dolls. It’s not perfect, or even that great, but I can feel that I know more about what I am doing and how to approach certain areas according to my ability.
    tjjqgfkcasz7.jpeg
    7479ml5tr04c.jpeg

It’s also not done, need to figure out the base.

Yo this looks amazing!

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    Frank Frazetta’s got nothing on that guy, those thighs look more lethal than the sword.
    The sword is only there to cleanly remove the heads of beasts after they're murdered by those thighs.

Those skulls don't grow on trees (aside from Dread Ang'kor, the skull tree of the north), and tearing the heads off is just too messy.

Badablack wrote: »

It's funny... first thought I had was "them quads tho"

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • manjimanji Registered User regular
    so, i'm working on gender-balancing my copy of heroquest as my daughter is receptive to playing, but down on the lack of girls. i have the drakkaroth queen for the barbarian, a converted drukhari succubus for the elf and a cool looking lady dwarf from scibor. the wizard is eluding me though. most non-GW female mages look pretty bad. i was mulling over the delf sorceress with a watch sister head and some extra robes out of greenstuff, but (non-finecast!) suggestions are gratefully received.

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    manji wrote: »
    so, i'm working on gender-balancing my copy of heroquest as my daughter is receptive to playing, but down on the lack of girls. i have the drakkaroth queen for the barbarian, a converted drukhari succubus for the elf and a cool looking lady dwarf from scibor. the wizard is eluding me though. most non-GW female mages look pretty bad. i was mulling over the delf sorceress with a watch sister head and some extra robes out of greenstuff, but (non-finecast!) suggestions are gratefully received.

A quick search at Reaper's site shows 57 potential "casters" in robes, if the Reaper sculpts don't immediately turn you off. I tried removing "robes" as a search term to broaden this out, but then things got weird.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    manji wrote: »

Reaper has so many options for female's in all roles. They have an amazing search engine too(link). I have given up on making a D&D character before I find the mini because there's a good chance I'ill have to gender flip them when I find the right mini in my pile. They are also like 3.50 each in bones, so replacing for your board game will not break the bank. You could also use them to teach her how to paint if she gets into it.

edit: Didn't see nips post. whoops!

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    http://badsquiddogames.com

A local company to me, Annie, that woman behind the company, goes out of her way to stock an all female line.

I tend to replace most modern board game minis with Reaper bones models anyway, mostly because everyone likes to put these gorgeously detailed and fragile miniatures in their games now and my game nights tend to involve alcohol and increasingly clumsy people flailing at boards. You can run over Bones models with your car and they’ll be fine.

• FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    I was just thinking last night how awesome it would be to build, just for fun, a really detailed squad or two of veteran Astra Militarum. Each soldier an individual, with some back story.

And then remembered that there's basically no good way to make female Imperial Guard without being a master greenstuff sculptor :(

• JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    J on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    I was just thinking last night how awesome it would be to build, just for fun, a really detailed squad or two of veteran Astra Militarum. Each soldier an individual, with some back story.

And then remembered that there's basically no good way to make female Imperial Guard without being a master greenstuff sculptor :(

There are companies out there that make alternate IG parts that include women that would be great for creating a range of unique soldiers.

• FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    NOICE

Those look significantly better than the ones that were available a few years back...

Damn, that was almost eight years ago...

God, I'm getting old.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    So edge highlighting, lets talk about it. I edge highlighted my first model last night, a Primaris intercessor sergeant. It looks fine (messier than I'd like, but for a first time I'll take it)...but I'm questioning if this is something I want to do for my whole army. It's a lot of work to make look good and it's not conducive to assembly line painting for troop units, unless I am missing a technique. I'm seriously considering not doing a highlight pass on my troops at all. Base coat, block in base colors, light wash then details with light dry brushing for things like guns. I'd keep the highlighting to center piece and large models like HQ's and vehicles.

How are other people using edge highlighting? Are you doing it at all? Are you doing your whole army, or just special models?

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    The GW Way™ is to edge highlight everything, all the time, and edge highlight the edge highlights for important dudes or extra-shiny bits. this is dramatic and emphatic but not to everyones’ tastes, obviously.
    Personally, I prefer the ‘struck edge’ highlight, where you only edge the bits that would logically be lit up by the imaginary light source you pointed at the model. This is more naturalistic and works nicely as a combo with azimuthal highlighting techniques.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    As a tyranid player, all my edge highlights are just slightly more careful drybrushing.

For anything mechanical though, edge highlights of some kind are pretty important to provide detail. Especially on large flat surfaces like rhinos where you can’t cheat with washes to define the details, you need those edges to stand out a little.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Right, which was my preferred option. I'll continue to edge highlight important models and vehicles, but probably not do it for line-of-battle units like intercessors where I need to paint 20 of them for this army.

I think part of it is that I just need to get better at it. Like I said this sergeant doesn't look bad, but I want my highlights to be much cleaner long term. Still getting the technique itself down, how to hold the brush, where to position the model, etc. The 45 degree angle trick only works on certain edges. Getting straight, clean, edges without a clearly raised surface is proving more difficult.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    So... a question for glazes. When I get paid midweek I'll be grabbing some GW glazes (that vid a couple pages back has me interested).

For the below WIP Bloat Drone... glaze green on the armor then highlight, or the other way around?

ioq7zbs856hm.jpg
    w6m6emyep90h.jpg

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
This discussion has been closed.