As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Too Human media floodgates open. Dyack smiles!

CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
logo.jpg
too-human-20070425002710886.jpg

So, that title from Silicon Knights has come good. IGN had a huge preview up last week, with like 4 interviews and an assload of new media.

Now they have up interviews with Dyack, Lobb and a few other guys, and a new cutscene and a huge preview with gameplay footage.

Firstly, yeah the graphics. Come a long way from that jittery and zoomed out affair at e3 so long ago.

http://uk.media.xbox360.ign.com/media/748/748783/img_4473075.html

Huge h-scroll raping image detailing the controls there.

too-human-20060509032838229.jpg

These mostly arent bullshots either, all are stills from in game footage featured in the previews.

In the 1up yours interview with Dyack he says how he is going to run a huge exclusive with them too, this is scheduled for next months EGM.

The game is looking like a fall release this year too. A lot like Mass Effect (same engine, part one of a trilogy, focus on story) it features innovative controls, a brand spanking new camera and director (like, an AI just to manage the camera controls, amazing when he describes how it works)

Dyack it seems has been proved completely right. Being forced by Microsoft lost them a lot of cred and with graphics this good they deserve a lot more hype then they are getting. Check out the gameplay videos for how it works (like, God of War 2 meets Devil May Cry) and it has 4 player co-op ONLINE over live, a loot system akin to World of Warcraft, divvying up loot from bosses, epic items, unique gear, stats system and a fully featured 'epic' narrative focussing around Norse gods in the future.

too-human-20060501024926584.jpg
too-human-20070125021107984.jpg

I mean come on, Ive posted 4 huge game threads today seems like G&T is just not caring about the GAMES anymore and is just one giant console wars non stop discussion on Playstation 3 this or PSP that or look at the sales of the Wii here etc etc. Need more huge games threads, this game is very near to coming out, they have full gameplay videos up, screenshots, interviews and an assload of media that seems to have exploded on the net since the 4th and last week.

hihi.jpg
Carnivore on

• Options
    ConcernedSauceConcernedSauce Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This game looks fantastic. Despite containing spectacular graphics and sweet, sweet online co-op, i have to say that I am most interested in the story. Not only the Norse mythology part, but the fact that its been 10 years in the making...

ConcernedSauce on
    catreturnsigsm9rx.jpg
    Et Earello Endorenna utulien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It's good that they've been given a second chance and are really trying to recover from E3, but the latest videos I've seen still aren't very impressive. I'm withholding my judgement until I can play it myself.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    I almost like the main character's design, but he still falls to the grizzlied bad ass look. Kinda disappointing.

Edit: Durr, I'm going to assume customization.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sweet OP, and man, this game just gets more and more interesting.

Norse mythology fighting shooting RPG 4 player co-op sounds pretty damned awesome to me.

That E3 thing looked very meh, but the game looks right back on track.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Nice graphics.

Generic art.

Oh well.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    too-human-20070416055331601.jpg Hes some sort of Norse immortal or a god.

Grizzled Badass is a look that never gets old. See: Mass Effect, Gears of War, God of War.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh Reginaaaaaaaaaald :whistle:

I DISAGREE!

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Nice PS1 screens, what does the game look like now?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Carnivore wrote:
    Grizzled Badass is a look that never gets old. See: Mass Effect, Gears of War, God of War.

See: why it's boring.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Nice graphics.

Generic art.

Oh well.

Generic art?

Not to sound like Im on the defensive here but what the fuck are you talking about?

Name one other game period that features norse gods roaming around ragnarok with guns and spaceships?

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    agoaj wrote: »

Okay now that's just stupid trolling.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

I'm going to let someone else handle this one because I'm not sure I can wrap my head around all of the stupid.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    i... really want to play this now. Really.

reeeeeally

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Carnivore wrote: »
    Nice graphics.

Generic art.

Oh well.

Generic art?

Not to sound like Im on the defensive here but what the fuck are you talking about?

Name one other game period that features norse gods roaming around ragnarok with guns and spaceships?

Yes, that's the setting. Very interesting.

The art is generic and boring, however. Just look at it. It's another "hyper realistic yet plasticy looking grizzled future" affair.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    GimpyBoyGimpyBoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm mostly excited about the 4 player online co-op. It's giving me the kind of wood that I haven't had since PSO.

GimpyBoy on
    GimpyBoy.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Nice graphics.

Generic art.

Oh well.

Generic art?

Setting is different from art. The setting is interesting enough, but it's just a transplant because people are getting tired of Japanese mythology, general spacey sci-fi, and WWII, and Norse is one that hasn't been explored that extensively (Valkyrie Profile?). The art, on the other hand, lacks notable style. Not a bad thing, it's just that it's not memorable as a result.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Nice graphics.

Generic art.

Oh well.

Generic art?

The art is generic and boring, however. Just look at it. It's another "hyper realistic yet plasticy looking grizzled future" affair.
    Looks like Riddick, and Riddick was good even though it shouldn't have been.
    It really looks allot like Riddick, is Vin Diesel doing any VA in there?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    can you believe how much this games has changed

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    ah i understand. sorry i misunderstood.

yeah the graphics do have that slight plasticy look, but still it is gorgeous, and the breadth of locations they have is also stunning.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I was pumped for this game when I read the big EGM preview a year ago, and then the E3 stuff let me down. I really hope it turns out good. It has so much potential to be awesome.

BiggNife on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Nice graphics.

Generic art.

Oh well.

Generic art?

Im sorry I dont understand what you are trying to do here?

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Did I read 'Stats System'? Oh god I did.
    Guys, my pants. It's everywhere. Oh god. Can't wait for this. Seriously, this needs to be finished and out now.

Varega on
    League of Legends:Varega
  • Options
    CrapfestivalCrapfestival Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

I'm going to let someone else handle this one because I'm not sure I can wrap my head around all of the stupid.

You'd need a pretty long head to do that.

Might I recommend:
    A_Xenomorph.jpg

Crapfestival on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    People aren't going to be happy till it's either cell-shaded or otherwise looks like a cartoon.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Nice graphics.

Generic art.

Oh well.

Generic art?

Im sorry I dont understand what you are trying to do here?

Both games star sci-fi bald sci-fi bad boys who mystical powers and they have a very similar style graphical style.

Riddick should not have been good because it was a movie license game about a crappy movie

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Varega wrote: »
    Did I read 'Stats System'? Oh god I did.
    Guys, my pants. It's everywhere. Oh god. Can't wait for this. Seriously, this needs to be finished and out now.

Dyack practically told Luke Smith in the 1up podcast that Too Human was literally Diablo 2 with God of War fighting system.

There is a hub village, optional quests, boss fights, a trade system, upgrades, 4 player fucking online co-op.

my pants are just ruined now

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    can you believe how much this games has changed

that's kinda painful to watch..

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ah i understand. sorry i misunderstood.

yeah the graphics do have that slight plasticy look, but still it is gorgeous, and the breadth of locations they have is also stunning.
    yeah, the graphics are technically very well executed, but also very forgettable.

still, ill probably pick it up. eventually.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    lazerbeardlazerbeard Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    so do we have a release date? If its over summer thats all Ill need

lazerbeard on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    WHY wrote: »
    People aren't going to be happy till it's on the Wii. This would be awesome on the Wii.

m i rite?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    lazerbeard wrote: »
    so do we have a release date? If its over summer thats all Ill need

Just like Mass Effect no date has been set. It was originally scheduled for last fall but was delayed.

My best guess, judging from what Dyack said, August/September time for release. No later. It is seriously almost done.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    People aren't going to be happy till it's on the Wii. This would be awesome on the Wii.

m i rite?

:lol:

DesertBox on
  • Options
    lazerbeardlazerbeard Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    darleysam wrote: »

m i rite?

no

lazerbeard on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    People aren't going to be happy till it's either cell-shaded or otherwise looks like a cartoon.

Yeah, no, you're entirely incorrect. Thanks for playing.

I hate to draw the comparison, but take a look at WoW. From a technical aspect, not that impressive. I think I read the metaphor "Lego Land continents" on SA a long time ago. However, it's stylized and memorable. Even Gears-oW has some style to it, but this is just bland. Impressive, but bland.

Still, I'm interested in seeing how this whole thing works out. It's got me jonesing for some PSO in all honesty.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Exactly, exactly.

The art needs something to make it unique, interesting, and beautiful.

As a rule, you should be able to look at a random screen shot and not confuse it for another game. Much less several other games.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

I hate to draw the comparison, but take a look at WoW. From a technical aspect, not that impressive. I think I read the metaphor "Lego Land continents" on SA a long time ago. However, it's stylized and memorable. Even Gears-oW has some style to it, but this is just bland. Impressive, but bland.

WoW was exactly what I was referring to when I said that.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think the style looks fine. Maybe not the most inspired, but I'm getting a slight (SLIGHT! I.E. NOT A WHOLE LOT BUT JUST A LITTLE!) Deux Ex vibe from it, which is a good thing.

Ballman on
  • Options
    BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The character designs seem kinda generic, yeah, but the environments look fantastic, especially in the first pic in the OP. Color me excited.

Blakout on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    It should have it's own goddamn vibe.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007

WoW was exactly what I was referring to when I said that.

Alright, if you're going to be like that, then how about Call of Duty? It has a very definite style to it, even though it's in realistic settings.

Wonder_Hippie on
This discussion has been closed.