As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo 3DS] Looks like everyone's favorite handheld finally gets to retire.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Alliance Alive trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7YcClQ8PZ0

A pretty generous launch edition as well.

alliance_alive_glamshot.png

It looks like it's going to be very similar to Legend of Legacy, which may or may not be a good thing depending on how much you liked how obtuse the game was. My understanding is they improved on a lot of that from Legend of Legacy, though I don't know the specifics.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I'm kind of a 3DS nut at this point and I'm considering buying a 3rd system. I have an OG 3ds xl and a MH4U n3ds xl, but there are a few special editions that are very tempting. The N3DS regular edition would be cool to have for the face plates and because it's different from what I've already got. Nintendo sells refurb ones of that for $125 and I've heard good things about buying refurb directly from Nintendo. Anyone here had experiences with that? (It might have been here I read that, can't remember.)

On the other hand the Samus, Galaxy, and MH Gen editions also look super awesome...hrm...

Either way I feel like if I'm gonna get another 3ds, I might should do it soon since it's on the way out. This stuff might get very very expensive or even impossible to find in short order. D:

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    I'm kind of a 3DS nut at this point and I'm considering buying a 3rd system. I have an OG 3ds xl and a MH4U n3ds xl, but there are a few special editions that are very tempting. The N3DS regular edition would be cool to have for the face plates and because it's different from what I've already got. Nintendo sells refurb ones of that for $125 and I've heard good things about buying refurb directly from Nintendo. Anyone here had experiences with that? (It might have been here I read that, can't remember.)

On the other hand the Samus, Galaxy, and MH Gen editions also look super awesome...hrm...

Either way I feel like if I'm gonna get another 3ds, I might should do it soon since it's on the way out. This stuff might get very very expensive or even impossible to find in short order. D:

Friend of mine picked up a refurb n3DS and it works fine and looks great. The faceplates are neat and I'm a little jealous. It's a fantastic idea I kinda wish they had somehow incorporated for the XL line.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Friend of mine picked up a refurb n3DS and it works fine and looks great. The faceplates are neat and I'm a little jealous. It's a fantastic idea I kinda wish they had somehow incorporated for the XL line.

Cool! I just may do that. There are quite a few faceplates that look awesome. One I saw was even wood grain with Mario themed embossed stuff.

• Options
    They do feel small after using/owning XL though, so be prepared for that.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Yeah I'm sorta concerned about that, but I've went back and played a bit on my old DS Lite and it didn't cramp my hands so I figure it'd probably be fine.

• Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/11/nintendo_outlines_black_friday_deals_with_a_link_green_zelda_2ds_leading_the_charge

There's a "Link Green" 2DS bundle coming out for Black Friday that has a 2DS with OoT preinstalled.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    I'm going to need to buy that green 2DS.

edit: Shame I already have Ocarina though. I would prefer Mario Kart still so then we can all play each other with full game abilities. Maybe I'll stick with the blue version if it's still available.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Haha I see I am in like-minded company.

DarkMecha on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Oh, they're making a super mario switch? I might get that.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Remember guys, they're shutting off the Miiverse TONIGHT. So nows the last call to save pics and/or say your goodbyes sadly.

edit: if you log onto miiverse via pc you can make a request to have your post history downloaded to your pc, but you can only request this up until the Miiverse actually closes at 10pm Pacific time tonight.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular

I have the original black 3DS, a new 3DS XL, and a 2DS that I've had for a couple years now and never even opened. (I guess it's my backup backup system at this point) And I still have to try to talk myself out of buying a 2DS XL every time I see them in stores.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    I've owned nearly every iteration of the 3DS because I am a bastion of good financial decisions (also the old ones inevitably crap out after living in my purse for years) but the n2DSxl is friggin' fantastic. It's nine ounces to the n3DS' eight, which is a good balance for screen size VS not having my wrists explode after dumping a million hours into Hyrule Warriors (the n3DSXL was eleven ounces, and I know these are all pretty small numbers but I definitely feel the two ounce difference in weight. The diagonal ribbing on the lid is astonishingly pleasing to my fingers, and I don't need a goddamn screwdriver to exchange the SD card. Microphone has been relocated to the centre between the screens where it belongs. I don't accidentally change the volume when I grip it too hard. There's actually enough space for my thumb to use the nub. I just really like the new shape+style.

Anyway enough shouting about a thing y'all probably don't care about.

Does anyone else do much with the system themes, and does anyone use one that isn't Hanafuda, the Best Theme?

(I'm actually really anal about how my games and badges are sorted, I have specific themes saved based on the season and/or what game I'm playing the most.)

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Mario Party: The Top 100 GameXplain review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edIblHtC8Rk

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Is it just 5 minutes of repeating the phrase ‘Why the fuck is this on 3DS rather than Switch?’ because it really should be.

The relative ease of multiplayer on the systems takes it from instant purchase to never purchase.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I have a list of six 3DS games I want to pick up, and I had 'em in my Target cart ready to take advantage of their B2G1F sale a week or two back, but I choked. I didn't want to spend $80/$160 at the time and now I'm regretting it.

Hopefully Best Buy pulls one of these usual 3DS-centric sales this holiday season.
    Is it just 5 minutes of repeating the phrase ‘Why the fuck is this on 3DS rather than Switch?’ because it really should be.

It's pretty obvious why it's not on Switch. It looks to be a fairly low-effort compilation title using the existing Mario Party 3DS engine as a holiday shelf filler. A similar effort for the Switch would be significantly more expensive and isn't really necessary at the moment as the Switch already has a great holiday lineup.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I feel they put in on the 3ds since it's in it's twilight

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

Honestly, the reason we're getting this burst of 3DS games is probably the fruits of Nintendo's emergency plan B in case Switch wasn't a success. (See also: the "third pillar" nonsense during the DS release.) Even though the Switch is a major success they may as well release what they made and get a return on their investment.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »

Honestly, the reason we're getting this burst of 3DS games is probably the fruits of Nintendo's emergency plan B in case Switch wasn't a success. (See also: the "third pillar" nonsense during the DS release.) Even though the Switch is a major success they may as well release what they made and get a return on their investment.

Yeah, there’s almost certainly STILL stuff in the 3DS pipeline that was started before the Switch was released. Game development takes a while.

• Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular

at $80 and an onboard copy of zelda the new 2DS is preeeetty tempting. At that price point we're talking menial niche benefits like "hatch pokemon eggs on two systems with one under each thumb!" becoming selling points.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Crossposting from the Miib thread - saw this guide

https://amiibochart64.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/amiibochartv13.jpg

and learned for the first time that there's an Ace COmbat for 3ds. anyone tried it?

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    Crossposting from the Miib thread - saw this guide

https://amiibochart64.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/amiibochartv13.jpg

and learned for the first time that there's an Ace COmbat for 3ds. anyone tried it?

Yeah I've played through the campaign and unlocked most of the aircraft. It's a pretty great port of the whole ace combat schtick. I remember being really impressed with the 3D cockpits.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    New Radiant Historia trailer, coming west in February

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Nu4G3wnJfk

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Yessss

I was getting kinda worried since the European hasn't been mentioned at all since the initial announcement. I wasn't expecting it that soon either.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

That VA is... not good. The line "You're the general?!" Has an interrobang punctuation mark and a yelling word bubble. The guy just reads it completely monotone with a tiny note of surprise. Like he's finding out what the five dollar footlong of the day is at Subway.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

That VA is... not good. The line "You're the general?!" Has an interrobang punctuation mark and a yelling word bubble. The guy just reads it completely monotone with a tiny note of surprise. Like he's finding out what the five dollar footlong of the day is at Subway.

I want this to be good but honestly I think I'm better off replaying my DS copy. The Voice acting sounds way to much like one guy putting on an inflection (Not saying it's actually the case just that every voice sounds alike).

Radiant Historia deserves better.

• Options
    It's one of those remakes where I've gone "do we really need this?". The original game isn't all that old and also runs on the handheld it's being rereleased on.

• Options
    In principle I want it to be rereleased so more people get a chance to play it. But from what I've seen they seem to be actively making the game worse.

• Options
    You can still buy the original though, and it runs on the 3ds.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    The new one will be on digital. No rarity or scalper issues.

• Options
    You can still buy a new copy of the old one straight from amazon though, and for a good price.

• Options
    Well yes it's available. But even so I'd welcome even a straight forward nothing added port if it got the word about the game out there and made it easier for people to pick up on impulse. Heck my single biggest disappointment with the 3ds is no one ever did downloadable ds games (don't know if this is because the effort to make it compatible was considered too high or because of Nintendo policy)

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Downloadable DS games on the 3ds isn't really possible. It's not even that the effort is too high, it's that the 3ds itself isn't capable of running DS games at all. It manages backwards compatibility by having the hardware of a DS inside of it. When you're running a DS game it's as if you're not using a 3ds at all, but a DS inside of a 3DS plastic shell. The OG ds had no concept of storage outside of the DS cart and has no means to access an SD card, so there wouldn't be a way to load a game that had been downloaded.

It's the reason why you can't access the home menu when running a DS game, and why even though the 3ds supports WPA2 and more advanced wireless networks DS games are still limited to unsecured networks (and why the DS networks have to be configured inside of the DS firmware and not from the 3ds settings).

LD50 on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Downloadable DS games on the 3ds isn't really possible. It's not even that the effort is too high, it's that the 3ds itself isn't capable of running DS games at all. It manages backwards compatibility by having the hardware of a DS inside of it. When you're running a DS game it's as if you're not using a 3ds at all, but a DS inside of a 3DS plastic shell. The OG ds had no concept of storage outside of the DS cart and has no means to access an SD card, so there wouldn't be a way to load a game that had been downloaded.

It's the reason why you can't access the home menu when running a DS game, and why even though the 3ds supports WPA2 and more advanced wireless networks DS games are still limited to unsecured networks (and why the DS networks have to be configured inside of the DS firmware and not from the 3ds settings).

It can be tricked to access an SD card; the various flash carts prove that. Doing so without using the slot at all might be doable but probably more trouble than it's worth.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Digital DS games would have been an amazing selling point for the New 3DS. Rejigger the hardware so that DS games could load from the SD card; maybe even let the system swap to the home menu without a full reboot.
    LD50 wrote: »

DS games had the network stack on the cartridge. It was literally impossible for Nintendo to patch security issues once a game was printed, if I understand correctly.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    DS games look like trash on the 3DS anyway. The screen isn’t high enough resolution to scale them properly. You either get super distorted fullscreen, or 1:1 accuracy that only fills like 40% of the screen.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    The Advance Wars Days of Ruin Club Nintendo reward exists as one of the weirder anomalies regarding possible downloaded DS games.

Either a true port that speaks of a bizarrely high effort to leave it as a one-off club reward(even weirder, my understanding is this never originally released in Japan, so it was translated too)

Or they were able to do something to make it work. Whatever that something was, it must have been deemed not worth further effort.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    The Japanese version of Days of Ruin originally cancelled, so I'm guessing they just dusted the work off and put it on there because of course the Japanese reward program would get sweeter stuff. There was also the Wario Ware Touched download that was available an early My Nintendo reward. Another Japanese game called Coropata was first released physically then later released digitally, I also recall an English game called Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ or something that did the same. All four of the mentioned games were technically released as DSiWare.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »
    In principle I want it to be rereleased so more people get a chance to play it. But from what I've seen they seem to be actively making the game worse.

Is it just some bad voice acting, or is there more to it?

• Options
    The differences as I understand them are voice acting, portrait redesign (and the addition of animated cutscenes, like what they did for ps1 Chrono Trigger I imagine) and a new sub campaign.

With the redesign they went heavier on the anime stylings which to be fair tastes vary but

C7jkH_DVAAA016n.jpg

Eruca really suffered.

I don't know maybe the sub campaign will be great but it's one I'll be waiting on reviews for.