As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo 3DS] Looks like everyone's favorite handheld finally gets to retire.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Just ordered a blue 2DS with MK7 for my son's birthday.
    Would have been fun to get the Zelda or Mario ones except I already own those games and having extra copies of MK7 is always good for multiplayer.

We've already got a pretty wide selection of games from my own library, but anything good recently for 10 year old? Haven't been keeping up on recent releases.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Anyone else recently pick up Triforce Heroes? It's on sale through my nintendo that ends today.
    First online game was good, but then I kept getting a third player who would stand in front of arrow traps or just pick us up and not let us down.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Would have been fun to get the Zelda or Mario ones except I already own those games and having extra copies of MK7 is always good for multiplayer.

We've already got a pretty wide selection of games from my own library, but anything good recently for 10 year old? Haven't been keeping up on recent releases.

The Kirby games. Planet Robobot got good reviews.

Aside from that, Dragon Ball Fusions is ok. Repetitive in some areas, akin to a Pokémon game, but I like it.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Ooh, Kirby does look fun. Thanks!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I have never played a Kirby game that was ever as good as Kirby Super Star. But as far as Kirby games go, Planet Robobot is a darn tootin' good one.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Planet Robobot is probably my favorite of all-time.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Smash Bros. is another one.

Outside of Nintendo, the Megaman collection is available in the eShop.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I bought Ace Attorney Spirit of Justice when it was on sale last week. Great series as always. But the writing in this game is starting to wear me down. It's not that it's outright bad or anything. But the pun names are some of the laziest in the series. And jesus christ, like every other sentence out of everyone's mouth during a trial is basically some form of "You sure are a piece of shit, you lawyer. Did you know you're a piece of shit? Because you're a piece of shit."

"Oh, you actually conclusively proved us wrong? Well you're a piece of shit. Did you know you're a piece of shit?"

Just... ugh. I don't remember if the old games were this hostile to Phoenix. He was certainly treated as a buttmonkey, no doubt about that. But I don't remember it ever being this fucking oppressive.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    The older games certainly weren't that hostile to Phoenix. In this game the region he's in really hates defence attorneys, because of reasons that you'll find out later in the game.

• Options
    Well, I'm in a lousy way.

Not knowing what the NX has in store, I sent my New Nintendo 3DS XL in for repair through PR, but wound up hanging on to my 32GB microSD card because I hadn't backed it up in a while, and thought this would be a good opportunity.

From what I'd heard, they were just going to swap the touchscreen (the problem area) out, but though they couldn't replicate the problem, they ended up sending me a different unit instead.

Got the unit back, wiped of most everything but a couple of Nintendo DS games and my data (Friends List, Miis, etc.). Put in the microSD, and it won't recognize it. Tried to find out more, but to no avail, and I have a review due in a week, so I tried Nintendo Consumer Service, and they ultimately told me I'd need to redownload everything, but because of the card, it won't let me. Told me to reformat the card and put the backup back on there, but that didn't do it.

So now I'm worried I'm going to lose the last several years' worth of save data, and who knows what else, assuming I can even get this stuff to work again.

I feel like I should have never sent it in to begin with and just taken my chances.

So hey, got my 3DS back last week, data fully intact (near as I can tell). Now I just need to figure out what all of note I've missed since sending it in.

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular

Monster Hunter Stories might be a good one to go with.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Looks like the Radiant Historia remake is out, just got a shipment notification from Amazon. And just like the original's launch, it's completely sold out. (at least on Amazon)

Donnicton on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Looks like the Radiant Historia remake is out, just got a shipment notification from Amazon. And just like the original's launch, it's completely sold out. (at least on Amazon)

Mine hasn’t shipped yet but is supposed to be delivered on Tuesday.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    The progress from the demo carries over to the real game, so if you want to get a head start you can download it and go.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Doesn't release in Europe till Friday *shakes fist*

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I'm in a Farm RPG mood on my 3DS. I've got two options: Harvest Moon 3D: A New Beginning, or Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns.

I've had both in my game library for a few years, never played either of them. (It's a backlog issue).

And anyway, I've just been feeling really farmy lately. Any suggestions on which will give me the better / more fun experience for my time?

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I'm in a Farm RPG mood on my 3DS. I've got two options: Harvest Moon 3D: A New Beginning, or Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns.

I've had both in my game library for a few years, never played either of them. (It's a backlog issue).

And anyway, I've just been feeling really farmy lately. Any suggestions on which will give me the better / more fun experience for my time?

You can't go wrong with Story of Seasons.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    A New Beginning is the last 'proper' Harvest Moon game with the Harvest Moon name and I'm pretty sure all of its mechanics were further refined in the first Story of Seasons game. If you start with Trio of Towns, you might not really be happy going back to ANB in the future but that might be a YMMV thing.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    I've been on a DS kick recently, just finished up Dawn of Sorrow and now I'm looking for similar games from that era. Is there anything out there that I just have to play? That would be in a similiar platforming/metroidvania vein? I'll take 3DS suggestions too.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I've been on a DS kick recently, just finished up Dawn of Sorrow and now I'm looking for similar games from that era. Is there anything out there that I just have to play? That would be in a similiar platforming/metroidvania vein? I'll take 3DS suggestions too.

I don't know if you can still buy it on the DS eshop but the 3ds should have Cave Story+ if you've not played that on one of like a dozen systems it's been on, including the Switch.
    God, I've given them so much money. I've bought Cave Story on the Wii, DSi, 3ds, PC, and Switch. I'd buy the 3d remake on 3ds if I ever saw it on a shelf again, too.

Specifically a DS game: I really enjoyed Megaman ZX Advent. Very much a latter day Mega Man Zero style game, with an open world that also has discrete stages and a number of power ups and transformations, as expected.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Without knowing what you've already played, Aliens: Infestation.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i'm really really enjoying radiant historia and kind of sad i missed it on the ds. i have a few minor quibbles with it but overall its a fun rpg.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Pailryder wrote: »
    i'm really really enjoying radiant historia and kind of sad i missed it on the ds. i have a few minor quibbles with it but overall its a fun rpg.

I had a great time with it back then. It’s not perfect, and I feel it gets a little too much credit by comparing it to the top-tier SNES games it resembles, but it plays well, the story is engaging, the parallel timelines are neat if a bit disappoints for being fairly straightforward, and it ends in a satisfying way. Any RPG that gets me to finish it these days is doing something right.

I’m glad to see it get another chance, though it’s a little amusing that it’s being released on an end-of-life system again.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular

I had a great time with it back then. It’s not perfect, and I feel it gets a little too much credit by comparing it to the top-tier SNES games it resembles, but it plays well, the story is engaging, the parallel timelines are neat if a bit disappoints for being fairly straightforward, and it ends in a satisfying way. Any RPG that gets me to finish it these days is doing something right.

I’m glad to see it get another chance, though it’s a little amusing that it’s being released on an end-of-life system again.

i definitely would have appreciated it on the switch. the biggest quibble i have right now (and i'm still only in chapter 1 i think?) is that i don't have near enough money to buy gear for my party members. I've gotten to the point where i can "find" more money in chests but it still doesn't seem to match. Basically the leveling and story progression don't feel tied to the money i'm earning. Even with back and forth stuff it's painful. It feels like in most jrpgs i can farm for some cash and buy equipment pretty quick. I haven't found a way to do that in RH.

• Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »

Monster Hunter Stories might be a good one to go with.

MonHun Stories will definitely be a pokemon-level off the charts hours-played-by-ten-year-old value return.

In the same category - I'm not sure if the 2ds can handle it or not but
    https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/minecraft-new-nintendo-3ds-edition

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular

Monster Tale!

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited February 2018

i definitely would have appreciated it on the switch. the biggest quibble i have right now (and i'm still only in chapter 1 i think?) is that i don't have near enough money to buy gear for my party members. I've gotten to the point where i can "find" more money in chests but it still doesn't seem to match. Basically the leveling and story progression don't feel tied to the money i'm earning. Even with back and forth stuff it's painful. It feels like in most jrpgs i can farm for some cash and buy equipment pretty quick. I haven't found a way to do that in RH.

Replaying boss battles seems to be a good way for me, at least early on.

A good early one is the fight against the bandits in Standard History Chapter 1 that unlocks the the ability to use bombs, it's right at a node (called "Echoing Hills), is pretty quick and easy, and gives me at least 500 gold a pop for me.

I think higher chains/combos also give you bonus gold (it's been awhile since I played the original). As your characters get more skills they'll be able to get bigger chains which should also help.

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Yeah, higher chains give you more rewards. Remember that alternating attack types increases the combo chain faster combat skill -> combat skill -> combat skill gives a combo of x3, but combat skill -> attack -> combat skill gives x5.

• Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    What is SWD2?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    What is SWD2?

Steam world dig 2 I assume?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    What is SWD2?

Steam world dig 2 I assume?

Yes, Steamworld Dig 2

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I was going to pick it up on switch, but maybe I'll get it on 3ds instead...

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »

Monster Tale!

I looked it up on youtube and this is exactly what I'm looking for, thanks!

I picked up Aliens Infestation as well.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Shenl742 wrote: »

Replaying boss battles seems to be a good way for me, at least early on.

A good early one is the fight against the bandits in Standard History Chapter 1 that unlocks the the ability to use bombs, it's right at a node (called "Echoing Hills), is pretty quick and easy, and gives me at least 500 gold a pop for me.

I think higher chains/combos also give you bonus gold (it's been awhile since I played the original). As your characters get more skills they'll be able to get bigger chains which should also help.

Also for the record, they increased the money things cost in the remake. I think they did it with veterans who figured out how to abuse farming gold in mind, which is why it feels bad for someone new to the game.

• Options
    I was going to pick it up on switch, but maybe I'll get it on 3ds instead...

But the Switch version is porta-- oh, wait...

• Options
    New Detective Pikachu trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuwqoTe836s

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    That trailer makes the game look like so much fun.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    So... is it like a Layton game?

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    My wife's 2DS (the original slate one) lost its circle pad cover and I can't find it anywhere. I thought I would be able to order a replacement from Nintendo but don't see any in their online store. They don't seem to have a way to email for customer support, either (I'm Deaf so the phone is no-go).

Any ideas what replacement cover I need to get? I see bunches on ebay but not sure as to fit/quality. Ideally I want one as close to the original as possible.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.