As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo 3DS] Looks like everyone's favorite handheld finally gets to retire.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Oh my goodness I want one of those.

My favorite Mario game of all time preloaded on a 3dsXL in an awesome color.

I can totally see the appeal.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Amazon Exclusive 3DS? Makes you think they're patching things up. But then like, the NES Classic isn't eligible for Prime shipping. Wtf is that

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Amazon Exclusive 3DS? Makes you think they're patching things up. But then like, the NES Classic isn't eligible for Prime shipping. Wtf is that

Except that the green 3DS was available before the fiasco sale of the NES Classic (and advertised).

I'm wondering if the $99 3DS sale will be just as catastrophic.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I am curious about it but then I have a deep discount for working at hell known to men for working black Friday on the first of dec that I am will either debate about getting one of the $99 if there are any still around after I get off my shift or holding out for a week and get a 2ds for cheap

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    So last night in my sleep I somehow spilled a giant cup of water onto my Majora's Mask 3DSXL. It sat there soaking in it through the night and well into today until I finally noticed it. The damn thing wasn't effected at all, with the power on and everything. This system may appear flimsy, but it's built like a tank where it counts.

Edit: this wasn't just some minor spill, water literally poured out of the clamshell when I picked it up. It actually cleaned the system up pretty good tbh.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Isn't that new Mario Party game out? Anyone play it yet? I understand it's no longer a board game or something. It can't be worse than the last 3DS Mario Party game...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    So last night in my sleep I somehow spilled a giant cup of water onto my Majora's Mask 3DSXL. It sat there soaking in it through the night and well into today until I finally noticed it. The damn thing wasn't effected at all, with the power on and everything. This system may appear flimsy, but it's built like a tank where it counts.

Edit: this wasn't just some minor spill, water literally poured out of the clamshell when I picked it up. It actually cleaned the system up pretty good tbh.

I would worry about some possibly bad corrosion/oxidation on the inside even if it seems to work normally.

nNH5Hom.png

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016

I would worry about some possibly bad corrosion/oxidation on the inside even if it seems to work normally.

nNH5Hom.png

It never actually got inside the system from what I can tell. It just sort of sat there in between the two screens. I opened up the back panel and there was a tiny little droplet up against the back of the plastic but that's it. I freaked out when I saw it but I'd be lying if I said a part of me wasn't sort of hoping it would be fucked so I would have an excuse to get one of those new $99 N3DS's coming out on black Friday. What should I do about the possibility of there being water in places I can't see, rice?

On a semi-related note I'm having an absolute blast with Resident Evil: Revelations. I like RAID mode a lot but I wish there was an alternate mode like RAID but with a horde mode aspect incorporated into it. I've heard the RE: Mercenaries game is like this. My question is is that true and how good is Mercenaries in relation to Revelations? Is the control scheme the same? That's what I like the most about Revelations as it reminds me of RE4. If I love Revelations will I also like Mercenaries?

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    RE: Revelations is definitely awesome, especially Raid mode.

Mercenaries, though...yeah, the graphics are about as good, and it's a pretty cool take on a more fleshed out Mercenaries mode from past games...but IIRC it released well before the Circle Pad Pro, and thus wouldn't support the nub on New 3DSs either. It does have some pretty good control variations available. I got used to it, and remember putting a lot of time into it to unlock everything, with people from all over the world (godlike Japanese players...).

The other caveat is that for whatever reason, the game was originally sold without any way to erase the data and start fresh. Anything unlocked on the cartridge was permanently unlocked, any abilities, rewards, records...all were permanent. Really bad decision for the secondhand market.

However I'm reading that there's a digital release that fixed this problem and offers the ability to delete your data. So that wouldn't be a concern.

Mercenaries isn't the same as Raid mode, but I had a fun time with it. Good luck finding people to play online with, though, I don't have any clue whether anyone would still be playing.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Isn't that new Mario Party game out? Anyone play it yet? I understand it's no longer a board game or something. It can't be worse than the last 3DS Mario Party game...

I've played it. Definitely better than the last 3DS game though that's not saying much. Still nowhere near the originals and you have to unlock most modes and there really isn't a classic style mode. Mini games are still fun and multi is a blast though it's only local. Good news is that you can play with others and only buy one copy of the game. Others can just download a guest version for free off the eShop.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Gentlemen, it's time to draw dicks again

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    A free to start messaging app. Implying the messaging app has in-app purchases. Fuck right off.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    The paid content for Swapdoodle
    Starter Pack – FREE – Includes four lessons, two types of stationery and one coloured pen. Increases maximum note storage by 100 and ink capacity by two units.

Nintendo Premium Pack – £6.29 / €6.99 – Includes six lessons, six stationery types, five coloured pens and four premium pens. Increases maximum note storage by 3,000 and ink capacity by four units.

Sparkling Premium Pack – £6.29 / €6.99 – Includes 14 lessons, eight stationery types, five coloured pens and six premium pens. Increases maximum note storage by 3,000 and ink capacity by four units.

Silver Glitter & Stationery Set – £1.79 / €1.99 – Includes four types of stationery and one premium pen.

Bronze Glitter & Stationery Set – £1.79 / €1.99 – Includes four types of stationery and one premium pen.

Super Mario Basic Lessons – £2.69 / €2.99 – Includes 15 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and one premium pen.

Super Mario Standard Lessons – £2.69 / €2.99 – Includes 10 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and one premium pen.

Splatoon Inklings and Things – £2.69 / €2.99 – Includes 10 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and one premium pen.

Splatoon Inkopolis – £2.69 / €2.99 – Includes 12 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and one premium pen.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time – £2.69 / €2.99 – Includes 11 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and one premium pen.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker – £2.69 / €2.99 – Includes 10 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and one premium pen.

Animal Crossing Standard Lesson – £2.69 / €2.99 – Includes 13 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and one premium pen.

Mario Kart 8 – £2.69 / €2.99 – Includes 14 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and one premium pen.

Prehistoric Life – £2.69 / €2.99 – Includes 15 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and one premium pen.

Nikki's Simply Adorable Animals – £2.69 / €2.99 – Includes 27 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and two premium pens.

Nikki's Animals – £2.69 / €2.99 – Includes 20 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and one premium pen.

Nikki's Simply Beautiful Flowers – £2.69 / €2.99 – Includes 25 lessons, two stationery types, five coloured pens and two premium pens.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    As long as you never have to spend money to make, receive, and send doodles then I don't see what the problem is?

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    I wonder what swapdoodle does different from swapnote that makes it okay to release? Because it looks just like Swapnote + You Can Buy Stuff Too, which I am totally fine with, but it makes me wonder why they pried swapnote out of my grubby little hands so long ago if they were just going to give it back. There's gotta be something different-maybe Nintendo can monitor interactions if need-be?

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Swapnote let you take and send pics with the 3DS cameras.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Ah yes, that feature I almost never used because the 3DS camera is terrible.

I won't miss it.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    It's kinda crazy that Nintendo has to be so conservative about how they allow online communication. I remember news stories about how child molesters could "find your children" using Pictochat. Fucking Pictochat! Meanwhile, parents will give their kids Android and Apple tablets with little to no oversight. The two platforms on which 99% of the world's dick pics are taken and distributed.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    It's kinda crazy that Nintendo has to be so conservative about how they allow online communication. I remember news stories about how child molesters could "find your children" using Pictochat. Fucking Pictochat! Meanwhile, parents will give their kids Android and Apple tablets with little to no oversight. The two platforms on which 99% of the world's dick pics are taken and distributed.

I think it's less that they have to be, and more that they choose to be.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Yes, Nintendo is afraid of the internet. Granted, they're a Japanese company so they've seen some shit.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah they take their family friendly status very seriously. We had several comments about it during testing to make sure things didn't slip through the cracks, either in translations or gameplay. Fortunately not much needed to get changed and the few that did got caught quickly.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    TDawg wrote: »
    Ah yes, that feature I almost never used because the 3DS camera is terrible.

I won't miss it.

I like it as the policy at work they can take away your phone for various reasons while on the clock but they cannot take my 3ds as the wording of that policy says phones or mp3s and you don't get to see crap like this
    HNI_0091_zpsnnggcmfh.jpg

• Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    If I buy a physical copy of Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest, can I still take advantage of the discount on Birthright and Revelations? If so, how do I go about that?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    If I buy a physical copy of Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest, can I still take advantage of the discount on Birthright and Revelations? If so, how do I go about that?

I believe there's an option to buy the other ones as DLC.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    you can buy them both through fates itself for $20

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Ugggh. I want the black 3DS, but I don't want to support stores that are open Thanksgiving, or go into those!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    You'd be boycotting most stores.

Speaking of the Black/White New 3DS, Target in Stoughton, MA has one white and like five black on the shelf right now. I almost bought one, but I realized I don't want/need a 3DS that badly.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    You'd be boycotting most stores.

Speaking of the Black/White New 3DS, Target in Stoughton, MA has one white and like five black on the shelf right now. I almost bought one, but I realized I don't want/need a 3DS that badly.

The POS would have prevented the sale anyway.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    amazon is selling them right now

I'm trying to decide if I actually need a second 3ds. it would be nice to have one where the 3d actually worked, but half of my game are tied to my xl that I would probably still use most of the time

• Options
    amazon is selling them right now

I'm trying to decide if I actually need a second 3ds. it would be nice to have one where the 3d actually worked, but half of my game are tied to my xl that I would probably still use most of the time
    White is already sold out but I really wanted black anyway.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    looks like the black one is gone now too
    I'm sure they'll have plenty more tomorrow though

• Options
    looks like the black one is gone now too
    I'm sure they'll have plenty more tomorrow though

Now I wait and pray that my order doesn't get cancelled. I made it pretty close to the end there.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Man, Amazon was supposed to e-mail me when they started selling, didn't get a damn thing. According to nowinstock they were sold out in an hour.

My concern is that the $99 N3DSes are going to all get hit by scalpers who will then turn around and sell them for more than retail but less than the normal N3DSes. It's certainly not outside the realm of stupidity.

(hint: it's happening on ebay right fucking now)

Donnicton on
  • Options
    I am going to press my luck tonight then since I have to clean up after the chaos

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Tried toys r us. No joy, but it was nice getting in and out of there in like 5 minutes. I would try other places, but not today or this weekend. Plus I have a 20 dollar off coupon at tru

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Tried 4 stores so far and nothing. Gonna try Best Buy during Lunch but I doubt they would have any left.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Yeah I wouldn't count on it, I've tried a few area codes local to family members and nothing. Online availability between stores as well so far has been in the realm of 5 minute windows every few hours. I managed to score one on wal-mart but I have no idea if they're going to honor it, you can't really tell until whether it ships or not.

Donnicton on