As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo 3DS] Looks like everyone's favorite handheld finally gets to retire.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Codename STEAM is unique enough that at $9 it's worth a try to see if it's your thing.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Interesting.

A coworker just asked me if a DS was worth picking up for his 5-7 year olds.

I think the best option is the 2DS - built like a brick, has near full access to DS and 3DS libraries and parental controls, and no chance of the 3D hurting their eyes. And given that the bundle with Mario Kart 7 is $80...

I'm wondering what other games would be good to recommend for budding gamers.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    2DS is definitely the best value for the money in terms of price:library. The more expensive models are better, but the benefits are harder to justify, especially as a starter system for a young gamer.

However, the 3D is a non-issue no matter which model you get. It can be disabled completely under parental controls.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    link between worlds, pokemon, tri-force heroes if there are 3 people that will play together, mario games, mario kart

• Options
    Oh god, I would not risk putting them off Zelda with TFH at such a fragile time.

Another thing to keep in mind is we're talking about 5-7 year olds. They're at an age where they can read, but they might still see it as "work" rather than something to be enjoyed, so YMMV with Pokemon, Zelda, or any of Mario's RPG spin-offs. I'd still recommend them, but with a disclaimer. Obviously the parent will know whether or not their kids are enjoying reading yet.

I'd recommend just about any Nintendo platformer game.
    • New Super Mario Bros. 2
    • Super Mario 3D Land
    • Kirby: Triple Deluxe
    • Kirby: Planet Robobot
    • Yoshi's Woolly World

• Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    Obviously I'm much older than those kids, but I ate Zelda games up at 5-7. Link to the Past and Link's Awakening were formative experiences for me. Granted, they were brand new games when I was that age.
    They'll grok Link Between Worlds, kids are smart.

• Options
    I'm not saying kids aren't smart, and that 5-7 is too young to play. I'm just saying I wouldn't make a blanket recommendation of reading-heavy games to kids unless I knew them a little better.

• Options
    I wasn't putting words in your mouth, honestly. I was just throwing out that I think Link Between Worlds would be just fine. It's not very text-heavy as a part of gameplay like a Pokemon or Mario and Luigi, or even Majora's Mask (woe unto the one giving MM to a 5 year old). You kind of have some NPCs telling you where to go or explaining items and a handful of cutscenes. I think it would make for an excellent "Kiddo's First Zelda".

• Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Kirby is a great starter.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Mario 3D Land / New Super Mario Bros. 2, Kirby Anything. Mario Kart is obviously bundled, and for a good reason.

If they're are compelled to Zelda, I'd say try Oracle of Ages / Seasons (GBC VC). They are still quality games, and lets you test the water for a much more inexpensive price. Obviously, they aren't as flashy as the new ones, but I know a lot of kids that love the "Minecraft Graphics".

They may greatly desire Pokemon but there is a shocking amount of text. They'd have to be strong readers. Yet again, there are VC versions to test the waters if that is desirable.

...Nintendogs?

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    I have a 9 year old who does not enjoy reading at all and LOVES the pokemon games...because he skips all the boring dialogue and gets back to pokemoning his way, which is to say, battling and catching pokemon and who cares what the people are saying he'll come ask dad if he can't figure out where to go.

Kirby games are also fantastic. The Mario Party game or the Mario/Sonic olympic games are fun as well.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Pokemon, Final Fantasy (and Dragonwarrior/quest), Zelda, and other rpgs are probably how I actually learned how to read so well. Most of the books made for my age range just didn't interest me. I probably would have been a terrible student had I been born like 5-10 years later. All the voice acting in games instead of text to sift through info, quest markers everywhere, and super linear paths leaves very little problem solving to be done. (old man voice) Back in my day the important bits were bold or a different color text and we had to find the places without shining compasses leading the way.

Also, asking a parent for help in a game is a concept that blows my mind. Like the only comments I ever remember my dad making was naming my green chocobo in FF7, Butch. And when we figured out how to beat Gannon in AlttP in the pyramid. My mom was pretty clueless.

• Options
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    Pokemon, Final Fantasy (and Dragonwarrior/quest), Zelda, and other rpgs are probably how I actually learned how to read so well. Most of the books made for my age range just didn't interest me. I probably would have been a terrible student had I been born like 5-10 years later. All the voice acting in games instead of text to sift through info, quest markers everywhere, and super linear paths leaves very little problem solving to be done. (old man voice) Back in my day the important bits were bold or a different color text and we had to find the places without shining compasses leading the way.

Also, asking a parent for help in a game is a concept that blows my mind. Like the only comments I ever remember my dad making was naming my green chocobo in FF7, Butch. And when we figured out how to beat Gannon in AlttP in the pyramid. My mom was pretty clueless.

reddit.com/r/lewronggeneration

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I was just about to put in a pre-order for Miitopia, Hey Pikmin, and the Pikmin amiibo when I realize they release exactly a week after Splatoon 2.

Fuck, Nintendo. Couldn't you have spaced these things out a bit more?

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I was just about to put in a pre-order for Miitopia, Hey Pikmin, and the Pikmin amiibo when I realize they release exactly a week after Splatoon 2.

Fuck, Nintendo. Couldn't you have spaced these things out a bit more?

You should just be happy that, for the first time in a long while, you get to say that.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    New Layton's Mystery Journey trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEghLn60yHc

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    So it seems that the Non-XL New 3ds is no longer in production. I'm legitimately frustrated by this as I never even saw the Black Friday models on shelves and the Pokemon bundles sold out instantly everywhere, and the Animal Crossing Bundle was poor timing for me. I'd love to retire my Zelda New 3dsXL because it's starting to take a little wear and tear from being my 'daily driver', so to speak. I've seen the Non-XLs in person, those smaller-pixel density panels are pure candy.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Looks like the demo of Hey! Pikmin is up.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    So it seems that the Non-XL New 3ds is no longer in production. I'm legitimately frustrated by this as I never even saw the Black Friday models on shelves and the Pokemon bundles sold out instantly everywhere, and the Animal Crossing Bundle was poor timing for me. I'd love to retire my Zelda New 3dsXL because it's starting to take a little wear and tear from being my 'daily driver', so to speak. I've seen the Non-XLs in person, those smaller-pixel density panels are pure candy.

Yeah, I would have loved the non-XL for the kids, as the price of the XL models is a bit much I think for them, but I don't like how exposed the screens are on the 2DS. Stinks there is apparently no market for it if they haven't sold well enough to keep producing, but maybe it's just Nintendo being Nintendo.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Yeah, I would have loved the non-XL for the kids, as the price of the XL models is a bit much I think for them, but I don't like how exposed the screens are on the 2DS. Stinks there is apparently no market for it if they haven't sold well enough to keep producing, but maybe it's just Nintendo being Nintendo.

I'm the last person to go "lol because Nintendo", but that's where I'm at, tbh. Animal Crossing model aside (I hold out hope I run across one still), all of the non-XL N3dses they've released have sold out instantly and continue to fetch high prices on the aftermarket. There's a market for them for sure.
    Fret not, though! The New 2dsXL is clamshell and relatively affordable!

• Options

I'm the last person to go "lol because Nintendo", but that's where I'm at, tbh. Animal Crossing model aside (I hold out hope I run across one still), all of the non-XL N3dses they've released have sold out instantly and continue to fetch high prices on the aftermarket. There's a market for them for sure.
    Fret not, though! The New 2dsXL is clamshell and relatively affordable!

I love that it's clamshell, but $150 compared to $80 for a device I'm giving a 9yo is a bit out of my price range. I was hoping for a $100ish range model.

It seems high for an end of generation model, though the GBA micro was a bit expensive when it came out too iirc.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Nintendo say's that the discontinuation has no impact on North America.

A Nintendo of America spokesperson has issued us the following statement: "This announcement does not affect Nintendo of America territories, as the model in question was only sold in limited quantities as special offerings. There are no changes to the sales status of New Nintendo 3DS XL, Nintendo 2DS or the upcoming New Nintendo 2DS XL, which launches on July 28."

"IT WON'T AFFECT YOU BECAUSE WE NEVER GAVE YOU SHIT IN THE FIRST PLACE MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

-Nintendo, speaking from a volcano lair, probably

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-07-13-nintendo-ends-new-nintendo-3ds-production-in-japan

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I'm really happy with my regular-sized New 3DS. It's beyond dumb that the only reason I have one is that I work swing shift, so I am frequently in Walmart after midnight when they are putting things out on the shelves. It should have been a regular production item.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular

FWIW, the 2DS falls squarely in Nintendo's grand tradition of durable hardware. Slap some screen protectors on it. Maybe store it in one of those half-sized padded manila envelopes for travel.

• Options
    Frem wrote: »

FWIW, the 2DS falls squarely in Nintendo's grand tradition of durable hardware. Slap some screen protectors on it. Maybe store it in one of those half-sized padded manila envelopes for travel.

That's good. So far it's survived in the hands of my clumsy 10yo since Feb. I do need to put screen protectors on it.

My 6yo managed to finally break the hinge on my DSlite. It survived so many years.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options

That's good. So far it's survived in the hands of my clumsy 10yo since Feb. I do need to put screen protectors on it.

My 6yo managed to finally break the hinge on my DSlite. It survived so many years.

My wife's totally rad pink DSlite finally bit it in the work of a few moments in my 17 month old's hands. I...don't know how he did it in such a short amount of time but it's borderline irreparable. Hinge completely broken off, cables in the hinge ripped. RIP, Pinky.

• Options

My wife's totally rad pink DSlite finally bit it in the work of a few moments in my 17 month old's hands. I...don't know how he did it in such a short amount of time but it's borderline irreparable. Hinge completely broken off, cables in the hinge ripped. RIP, Pinky.

Ouch. This is cracked so it doesn't stay in any position, but usable at least.

Still impressive though since I used that machine for two games of Ouendan and one EBA. Definitely better built than my OG 3DS.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    My Japanese 3DS is a n3DS, and I 100% love it. If it were available in America I would have upgraded my og3DS in a heartbeat. As-is, I was never comfortable with the XL's and the 2DS wasn't as appealing for me.

I rarely play with the 3D nowadays so I can see the appeal in a n2DSXL, but now that I have a Switch I think my 3DS hours are coming to an end. Clearly, it is a device that isn't meant for me, but I can't help be feel a bit frustrated.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    There's a reason I hopped on getting my Pokemon N3DS the second I saw I could.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular

Glad I picked up two when I had the chance. Now to snap up a few more cover plates before those get ridiculous.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    I finally upgraded my regular 3DS to the New 3DS. Outside of Xenoblade is there anything else exclusive to it worth checking out? Anything worth re-playing on it that looks/runs better on it as opposed to the vanilla version?

• Options
    The only other "exclusive" games are the SNES VC games, which are not on the standard 3DS eShop.

• Options
    Though if you never had a Circle Pad Pro, look up games that support it, since they will work with the right analog nub and extra triggers.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    There are actually a couple of indie games that are exclusive to the New 3DS.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    So I finished Ever Oasis after a solid amount of time, pretty cutesy and lighthearted game for the most part... but then you get to the ending. I can absolutely see why people have said (non-specific spoilers)
    it kills their desire to play the post-game. Man that was pretty damn dark.

I don't think I'm motivated enough to continue after that.

Otherwise, there's an okay amount of complexity to the game, some light resource management and crafting - but there are a lot of annoying aspects that bump the game down a few notches for me. For example there are dungeon and world mechanics that only other residents of your Oasis can clear for you and only if they're a part of your active party, but only one resident will have one ability and the dungeons(sometimes even the same room) typically require multiple uses of different abilities, necessitating returning to town to change up your party every time you hit one of those artificial walls. You can teleport back to town at-will, but it's still two load screens every time. Incredibly annoying. There's also a lot of Metroid-y backtracking where you will hit a treasure chest or blocked area that requires a resident's ability that you may not see for a very good portion of the game, so you have to make note of it as it's very easy to carry on with the game and subsequently forget about later. Also you can only change your equipment while in town because reasons.

But where it gets more bizarre is that these don't appear to be simply design oversights, because other conscious decisions by the devs indicate that there should have been some point where they would have recognized these as issues. I say this because there are other extremely convenient functions added to the game that demonstrates clear quality of life foresight with regard to other potential game annoyances - such as placing extra residents on garden plots later in the game to raise crops for you or sending the more combat-oriented residents out on expeditions to farm the more mundane low level materials for you so you don't have to go back and beat up on level 1 sneks for snek fangs to keep feeding the low level stock of the Oasis' shops. There's also a function that unlocks that lets you restock and collect money from shops in bulk without having to troll through each one individually.

The primary method of making money in this game is by placing shops in your Oasis owned by the residents, and keeping them stocked with materials you acquire through various actions in the game. Your residents will sell their goods primarily to 'Noots' - which are these weird fat little silent and flightless owl/penguin things that nomad in and out of your oasis and aren't explained at all in the game outside of "just go with it". You can place fixtures that attract more of them and they're apparently categorized by color but the mechanics behind how that matters aren't explained at all either. You upgrade the shops by keeping them stocked, and eventually the owner of that shop will ask you to go on a quest of variable annoyance to unlock the next tier of upgrade, which opens up more items for them to stock and sell.

There is also a primitive form of random dungeon you can utilize late game, where you place tiles on a console and what tiles you place before entering dictate the monster type/level. Certain high level crafting materials are only found in these dungeons, but the room designs get so repetitive and the drops are so rare that I couldn't tolerate more than a few runs - much less these supposed "after 10 hours I finally got X material!" posts I've been seeing on places like gamefaqs. No way.

All in all I had a decidedly solid experience. Nothing to write home about mechanically, but it's a decent attempt by Grezzo for what appears to be their first big project since 2010 that isn't just them assisting some other studio with a Zelda game. It does require a level of patience however that I may not recommend someone put upon themselves for full price.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Unsurprisingly reviews for the new Pikmin game are pretty "meh," so be warned.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Dragon Ball Fusions is a pretty fun little RPG. Recommended.

Speed is the most important stat.

• Options
    I, too, like Fusions quite a bit. I want a cart version so I can streetpass fusion with myself but that's silly.
    ...right?

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Monster Hunter Stories trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r46Jbq-ZNok

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Dangit. I can understand why they couldn't be arsed to translate the spoken dialog into English, but it's still pretty annoying that they didn't.
    I