As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[2016 Presidential Election] Vote Early, Vote Often

• Options
    NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    My wife and I went to vote in Kansas. Ran into a few people I was trying to convince to vote when I was walking out.

I figure why not try to flip this state. So tired of Brownback and his toadies.

Noxy on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/cruz-supreme-court-blockade-230363?cmpid=sf
    In a vintage return to his confrontational style, Sen. Ted Cruz indicated that Republicans could seek to block a Democratic president from filling the vacant Supreme Court seat indefinitely.
    To what should be no one's surprise at all.

I hope everyone's liked having a Supreme Court. It's been a good run.

(Who am I kidding, the next time Republicans get a President and Dems have a Senate majority they'll still roll over and confirm his or her 5 or 6 appointments.)

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Canipso wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Oh Jebus, enthusiasts I'm seeing are talking about how they've bet 3k-7.500$ on the Trump. :lol:

Gonna stay in those threads to see how these investments are paying out for them.

Damn, is there no way for me to get in on those bets?

My local furniture store had a promotion about 3 months ago. Buy furniture, pay for it, and then choose which party you think will win the presidency. If you're correct, you get a full refund and keep the furniture. I bought $8k worth of stuff.

Early voted this afternoon, Democrats +1. Turn Texas blue.

Well that's one place that is likely going out of business.

Everything is bigger in Texas, including delusions.

• Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    Aridhol wrote: »
    wandering wrote: »
    Gyral wrote: »
    So, Bill Clinton is in Greenville today for an event. One of my wife's friends just posted that she saw him downtown eating at the best place to get oysters in town. Also the best mixed drinks.
    Wait I thought Bill was vegan. Bill nooo
    You thought Bubba Clinton was a vegan?

Bill Clinton is supposed to eat healthy and not really partake of dietary pleasures, I think due to doctor's orders

So of course I trust an infamously louche libertine gourmand to restrict himself during the high-pressure belt-loosening grind of a heated campaign

For what it's worth, our local vegan place has testimonials from various celebrities, including Clinton, about the benefits of the vegan diet. So at a bare minimum, he's trying!

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »
    http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/cruz-supreme-court-blockade-230363?cmpid=sf
    In a vintage return to his confrontational style, Sen. Ted Cruz indicated that Republicans could seek to block a Democratic president from filling the vacant Supreme Court seat indefinitely.

(Who am I kidding, the next time Republicans get a President and Dems have a Senate majority they'll still roll over and confirm his or her 5 or 6 appointments.)

I think the Dems have a good shot at winning the Senate. The polls are promising. If that happens, the Republicans can't do fuck all.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Nate Silver confuses me.

Earlier he tweets that people are really cherry picking to say the race is tightening, then writes an article about how..the race is tightening and how they were totally wrong about a basketball game last night with the same odds

To be fair, Nate Silver's basketball methodology has no way to account for the Spurs' inside game.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Oh Jebus, enthusiasts I'm seeing are talking about how they've bet 3k-7.500$ on the Trump. :lol:

Gonna stay in those threads to see how these investments are paying out for them.

My local furniture store had a promotion about 3 months ago. Buy furniture, pay for it, and then choose which party you think will win the presidency. If you're correct, you get a full refund and keep the furniture. I bought $8k worth of stuff.

Three months ago Trump was 50/50 and trending upward.

I'm betting that promotion does okay.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

I think the Dems have a good shot at winning the Senate. The polls are promising. If that happens, the Republicans can't do fuck all.

They can filibuster, can't they? Dems may get the Senate, but they won't get a filibuster proof majority.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Long-form article on how the Democratic and Republican parties are out of touch, and their historical context. Includes quotes from an interview with the author's interview Clinton: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/10/31/hillary-clinton-and-the-populist-revolt

Hillary Clinton and the Populist Revolt
    The Democrats lost the white working class. The Republicans exploited them. Can Clinton win them back?
    Two decades ago, the conservative social scientist Charles Murray co-wrote “The Bell Curve,” which argued that inherited I.Q., ethnicity, and professional success are strongly connected, thereby dooming government efforts to educate poor Americans into the middle class. The book generated great controversy, including charges of racism, and some of its methodology was exposed as flawed. In a more recent book, “Coming Apart,” Murray focusses on the widening divide between a self-segregated white upper class and an emerging white lower class. He concludes that “the trends signify damage to the heart of American community and the way in which the great majority of Americans pursue satisfying lives.”

Murray lives in Burkittsville, Maryland, an hour and a quarter’s drive from Washington, D.C. It’s a virtually all-white town where elements of the working class have fallen on hard times. “The energy coming out of the new lower class really only needed a voice, because they are so pissed off at people like you and me,” he said. “We so obviously despise them, we so obviously condescend to them—‘flyover country.’ The only slur you can use at a dinner party and get away with is to call somebody a redneck—that won’t give you any problems in Manhattan. And you can also talk about evangelical Christians in the most disparaging terms—you will get no pushback from that. They’re aware of this kind of condescension. And they also haven’t been doing real well.”

A few years ago, I met a seventy-year-old widow in southwestern Virginia named Lorna. She was a retired schoolteacher, living on Social Security, and as we discussed politics she insisted on her right to use mercury light bulbs, since Al Gore lived in a mansion and used a private jet. Lorna suddenly exploded: “I want to eat what I want to eat, and for them to tell me I can’t eat French fries or Coca-Cola—no way! They want to tell me what to think. I have thought for myself all my life.”

The moral superiority of élites comes cheap. Recently, Murray has done demographic research on “Super Zips”—the Zip Codes of the most privileged residents of New York, Washington, San Francisco, and Los Angeles. “Super Zips are integrated in only one way—Asians,” he said. “Blacks and Latinos are about as scarce in the Super Zips as they were in the nineteen-fifties.” Multiethnic America, with its tensions and resentments, poses no problem for élites, who can buy their way out. “This translates into a whole variety of liberal positions”—Murray mentioned being pro-immigration and anti-school choice—“in which the élite has not borne any of the costs.”

Orca on
  • Options
    TheDrifterTheDrifter Registered User regular

Doubtful. His furniture is hilariously marked up for what it is. Throw in that its 1. Texas, so plenty of true believers and 2. he advertises on AM radio directly to them, I wouldn't be surprised if a Hillary victory isn't his preferred result.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

I wonder if there is a way to use the political betting markets to hedge an offer like that. It seems like there should be, but I'm not exactly sure how it would work.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    As hilarious as this is, they don't track any write ins that aren't official candidates. If you're trying to make a statement or whatever.

As I said, I'm a California Republican; my vote hasn't mattered federal elections for pretty much my entire life. The most recent poll I saw has Clinton taking the state 56-30, and since I had no desire to vote for the tribble-headed goose anyways, why not make the most of it.

Weirdly, as a California Democrat, I am technically in the same boat. The state's gonna go blue whether I vote or not.

I vote anyway just in case, but statistically it's never gonna matter.

I think the fact that our senate race is between the Democratic Candidate and The Other Democratic Candidate really says everything you need to know about the current state of California politics.

More an indictment of the jungle primary, no?

As somebody who thinks there's enough variation within the Democratic Party at this point that I usually have meaningful choices to make on the ballot, can somebody explain to me why jungle primaries are so bad? I'd be voting for DINOs more often than not if that wasn't how elections worked here.

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular

You know how people like Clinton "move" to another state so they have a better chance at winning a Senate seat? I want to move to Texas so I can kick Ted Cruz in the taint.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    a nu start wrote: »

You know how people like Clinton "move" to another state so they have a better chance at winning a Senate seat? I want to move to Texas so I can kick Ted Cruz in the taint.

Give him one for us too.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Also, it should be considered that our sole example of historical erasure occurred like, right at the beginning of our nation, and we haven't done it again despite having other folks commit treasonous acts against the country. Y'know, like the seceding from and declaring war on us.

It's impossible to say that there has only been one - you only know about Benedict Arnold because erasing him from history failed. If it had succeeded you wouldn't know who he was. So logically it's possible that thousands or even millions of people have been successfully erased from history.

• Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular

To be perfectly honest? Disregarding any actual debate or discussion of politics and/or turning and spitting, as a not-rich person I positively applaud your efforts to legally get 8k of free anything. Godspeed!

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Evermourn wrote: »
    Also, it should be considered that our sole example of historical erasure occurred like, right at the beginning of our nation, and we haven't done it again despite having other folks commit treasonous acts against the country. Y'know, like the seceding from and declaring war on us.

It's impossible to say that there has only been one - you only know about Benedict Arnold because erasing him from history failed. If it had succeeded you wouldn't know who he was. So logically it's possible that thousands or even millions of people have been successfully erased from history.

And so since we can't prove that other very important Americans were erased from history, since by definition they would not be remembered... we should assume that there have been an indeterminate number of successful history erasures?

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

Since the conception of our country, best estimates are that approximately 550 Million people have been or are currently American citizens. The vast majority of them were never prominent enough to be remembered in the first place, let alone forgotten and "erased" from history. And that's just America, a country only 240 years old. I'm seeing an estimate that 108 Billion humans have existed on this Earth at one time or another. How many of them made it into the history books? Will you?
    promo_ArbysRoastBeefClassic2_0.jpg

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Successful erasure is very difficult to achieve, and it's only become more difficult as the dissemination of information becomes easier. (Much easier a thousand years ago when you could knock down a few statues and burn a dozen scrolls and that was all the records you needed to destroy.)

The best you can hope for is a demonization of a person's memory, like with Benedict Arnold. I'd go so far as to argue that the intention wasn't actually to completely remove Arnold from the history books, but to vilify him and make him into someone whose accomplishments will never be given much consideration because the specter of his betrayal looms so prominent. Character assassination is so much easier.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Well, this Oregon voter - you know, the state that stayed blue in all the 538 maps? - dropped his ballot in the collection box today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4sT0NFcEus

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    KetBra wrote: »
    ok what happened today to merit a billion posts

Absolutely nothing. There's been no real news, so we're off in the weeds discussing the ethics of protest instead.

Yeah, there's basically nothing really happening anymore. The election feels like it's already over.

It peaked with the FingerBang Bus video leak and then stumbled along for a few weeks until Debate 3 came around and Clinton basically did the race Execution Style.

Now all that's left is a bunch of sad shambling about as Trump stirs up trouble and we wait to see how the news is.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

It's Texas..

• Options

I can't see how since you don't have to pay more money if you lose. So it's only like a straight loss for them.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

I can't see how since you don't have to pay more money if you lose. So it's only like a straight loss for them.

Because a shitload of Trumpkins bet wrong.

• Options
    Long-form article on how the Democratic and Republican parties are out of touch, and their historical context. Includes quotes from an interview with the author's interview Clinton: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/10/31/hillary-clinton-and-the-populist-revolt

The Democrats lost the white working class. The Republicans exploited them. Can Clinton win them back?
    Two decades ago, the conservative social scientist Charles Murray co-wrote “The Bell Curve,” which argued that inherited I.Q., ethnicity, and professional success are strongly connected, thereby dooming government efforts to educate poor Americans into the middle class. The book generated great controversy, including charges of racism, and some of its methodology was exposed as flawed. In a more recent book, “Coming Apart,” Murray focusses on the widening divide between a self-segregated white upper class and an emerging white lower class. He concludes that “the trends signify damage to the heart of American community and the way in which the great majority of Americans pursue satisfying lives.”

Murray lives in Burkittsville, Maryland, an hour and a quarter’s drive from Washington, D.C. It’s a virtually all-white town where elements of the working class have fallen on hard times. “The energy coming out of the new lower class really only needed a voice, because they are so pissed off at people like you and me,” he said. “We so obviously despise them, we so obviously condescend to them—‘flyover country.’ The only slur you can use at a dinner party and get away with is to call somebody a redneck—that won’t give you any problems in Manhattan. And you can also talk about evangelical Christians in the most disparaging terms—you will get no pushback from that. They’re aware of this kind of condescension. And they also haven’t been doing real well.”

A few years ago, I met a seventy-year-old widow in southwestern Virginia named Lorna. She was a retired schoolteacher, living on Social Security, and as we discussed politics she insisted on her right to use mercury light bulbs, since Al Gore lived in a mansion and used a private jet. Lorna suddenly exploded: “I want to eat what I want to eat, and for them to tell me I can’t eat French fries or Coca-Cola—no way! They want to tell me what to think. I have thought for myself all my life.”

The moral superiority of élites comes cheap. Recently, Murray has done demographic research on “Super Zips”—the Zip Codes of the most privileged residents of New York, Washington, San Francisco, and Los Angeles. “Super Zips are integrated in only one way—Asians,” he said. “Blacks and Latinos are about as scarce in the Super Zips as they were in the nineteen-fifties.” Multiethnic America, with its tensions and resentments, poses no problem for élites, who can buy their way out. “This translates into a whole variety of liberal positions”—Murray mentioned being pro-immigration and anti-school choice—“in which the élite has not borne any of the costs.”

I'm not super-concerned about winning the white working class back. The policies and positions you'd need for that aren't exactly great imo.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

Because a shitload of Trumpkins bet wrong.

Yeah but you'd need to be drumming up ALOT of extra sales to make up for that loss. The people who "bet wrong" are just paying for their furniture like normal customers after all.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

Doctor-Who-Karen-Gillan-as-Amy-Pond-28102010_114.jpg?cf8709

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I'd feel a lot more confident about this election if Clinton could get from 47 to 51 in the polls. Frustrated at how stubborn those undecideds are.

I have nightmares about watching the results on November 8th on the reg.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    For the record, vandalism and door to door canvassing ARE mutually exclusive. You can't do both at once.
    Sure though, in infinite energy, time and money land you can do both.

Effort wasted in ineffectual actions like that is wasted and doesn't in any way help your cause(s).

Doing both at the same time is actually fairly easy, especially since there's normally a bit of wasted time waiting for someone to arrive at the door. It's generally counterproductive, though.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Took me six hours on Sunday to go through all the props, school board elections, county and city measures and another two days to make it to the post office, but I finally voted.

Now to sit back and stress the fuck out until Nov 9.

emp123 on
  • Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    Took me six hours on Sunday to go through all the props, school board elections, county and city measures and another two days to make it to the post office, but I finally voted.

That's because you forgot an important step: Stopping by the liquor store on the way home.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

Dammit I'm in Texas too, I could have used some free furniture!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular

I dunno, I'm pretty optimistic, but 3 months ago I still wouldn't have taken that bet.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular

How does that make any sense as a promotion? At best, they're banking 50/50 odds of losing.

The only way that sounds like it might make any sense is if they're planning to declare bankruptcy before the refund checks go out.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

How does that make any sense as a promotion? At best, they're banking 50/50 odds of losing.

The only way that sounds like it might make any sense is if they're planning to declare bankruptcy before the refund checks go out.

I did some googling to try to figure out the store in question, and it appears that the store owner has done this sort of thing before and lost a lot of money doing it.
    Priest wrote: »

I dunno, I'm pretty optimistic, but 3 months ago I still wouldn't have taken that bet.

She's been favored to win basically the entire race. In a pragmatic sense I'm with everyone on the "don't call it a win until it's won", but I'm still confident she will win.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    Priest wrote: »
    emp123 wrote: »

That's because you forgot an important step: Stopping by the liquor store on the way home.

I'm really drunk again right now but I'm drunk not because I feel stressed or worried but because life is good

I think

Fascism lost I'm pretty sure I mean go vote and spit and all that but

I think we won you guys and sure it wasn't because people in general are smart but like I work with this guy, Kevin, who is a decent person but he's been inundated in the general white working class culture all his life and he could very well have said both sides are the same and voted for a Republican who was basically a fascist but that guy emerged and basically that guy was a douche and Kevin is a decent guy and he's not gonna vote for a douche, neither is my mom

So things aren't great but a douche is a douche so I think it's gonna generally not fall apart, hugs all around

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2016

Wait, so the article acknowledges that the bell curve guy is a hack.....and then goes and gives him a soapbox to repeat his points without any criticism? This is that whole asinine argument about taking O'keffe seriously, all over again!

Okay, yes, reading the actual article, that's only a small part of it. But the whole thing still does sound like more of the same concern trolling we've been hearing for months now. It's trying really really hard to construct a narrative. Especially the part about Clinton's first administration. Yes, the economic and political realities of the times meant that he didn't shit rainbows like his campaign promised. BUT THAT'S FUCKING POLITICS. That's pretty much exactly like blaming Obama('s mere existence) for the Republican's historic levels of intractability. Just because one side shits the bed doesn't mean that it's 100% on the side that's actually acting like adults to fix everything for them.

But yeah, I just want to call out the whole "economic anxiety" argument. While it's true that the message may resonate with some people in that demo, the whole thing is being pushed by the media to try to form a coherent narrative that Just isn't really there. Yes, it's terrible that these people were left behind economically. And Yes, it probably behooves the left to not ignore those people. But these stories are more about trying to appeal to peoples feelings and drive viewership numbers than a good faith effort at trying to decode his demos.

Basically? Fuck the media and their narrative normalizations

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

They can filibuster, can't they? Dems may get the Senate, but they won't get a filibuster proof majority.

The filibuster has already been rolled back a fair amount in regards to judicial nominations. If the Senate flips to the Democrats, I think that the filibuster will be limited to legislation only and potentially even gotten rid of entirely. The Republicans have already talked about blocking any SCOTUS nomination that Hillary makes, and you'd have to assume that they'd be horrible about most of her cabinet positions too. As much as Democrats like to play nice, they have to realize that winning the Senate and then leaving the filibuster in place so that the Republicans can crap the bed for at least the next two years will make them look like complete losers, and possibly kill Hillary's re-election chances. Since far too many people will think that if you can't even get your SCOTUS pick confirmed when your party is in the majority then you must suck as a leader, never mind the actual facts and details of the situation.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    But yeah, as to the argument of "think of the poor uneducated whites"? I don't recall if it was an articled linked here, or mentioned in one of the many podcasts I've been listening to (Sidenote: I don't think it's been mentioned before, but http://www.wnyc.org/shows/otm has had quite a few good episodes recently), but I remember a pretty cognizant argument from a couple days ago: The parties were always made of incoherent coalitions. And that it was, in fact, the more harmonious alignment on issues in the last few decades that is the real cause of the increased polarization and dysfunction.

EDIT: found it: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/07/how-american-politics-went-insane/485570/

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    I'm a bit concerned because I haven't seen any political ads on TV. Has Hillary and the Dems conceded in the crucial swing states of Italy and Germany?

It's still on the news a lot though

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
This discussion has been closed.