As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

U mad?

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »
    meanwhile in Montreal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7tR5339xdA

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Can Montreal not afford salt?

I'm sure if the video went a few more minutes a salt truck would have also come in and crashed into everything

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I think my favorite bit is when the second bus comes in

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    meanwhile in Montreal:

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

I'm sure if the video went a few more minutes a salt truck would have also come in and crashed into everything

you can see the plow spread salt as it slides down the hill

• Options
    Shabooty wrote: »
    meanwhile in Montreal:

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

At one point honestly I wouldn't have been surprised if like a satellite fell out of the sky onto the pile, or like somehow a San Fran Trolley just appeared and crashed on in.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Shabooty wrote: »
    meanwhile in Montreal:

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

It's weird, that's not the kind of plow/salt trucks we have here in NY. It's almost like they picked up a high end pickup and slapped a salt system into the back of it.

This is what NYS uses for the most part:
    ZwvN7jD.jpg

The only ones with the long piece are the highway plowers. Most have two on each side they can pull in and out that are a lot shorter than that so they can do the smaller roads. They're also heavy duty enough they don't roll down the hill like that usually. But they also would plow and salt well before it got that bad.

Feels like Montreal is treating snow like they're in the Virginia and only want to buy the cheapest shit.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    montreal gets some serious snow, this seems like it was a flash storm that caught the city off-guard

also montreal has some really steep hills

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Note that the picture linked above is on a highway whereas the Montreal video was on city streets

At least in Ontario we use big truck plows like in those pics on highways, but on city streets you'll often see pickups with plows and salters mounted on them

• Options
    edited December 2016
    That still seems like the worst salting truck I've ever seen. It's something you'd see the driveway plowers driving up in NYS. Up here in Syracuse, we get dumped on constantly though, because we're right off two great lakes and the jet stream picks up all the shitty cold polar air before going over them.

Snowflakes the size of your eyeball.

Edit: like I said, we use the same trucks for plowing our city/town/village streets, just doesn't have that huge wing (two smaller wings on the side that retract).

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    uB7Ix1El.jpg
    6W7ERVul.jpg
    bqj3vull.jpg
    68hEjfCl.jpg

montreal is at least competitive in the international sport of FUCK YOU, GET SNOWED ON cities

toronto is weirdly insulated from cold weather, so it's been a good few years since there's been a heavy snowfall here, and even then it usually only lasts for a couple of days
    which makes me miss the snow a little bit, but not so much that I envy montreal's bullshit weather

• Options
    Yes that's what it looks like down here too.

I just found it odd that they used such a ... not really heavy duty vehicle for dealing with an icy snowstorm.

Some of you may have remembered that picture I posted with nearly 3 feet of snow from 1 night of snowfall.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I think toronto and area doesn't get dumped on as much because we are on the northern shore of lake ontario and the winds usually blow towards the south. Meaning NY State gets the lake effect snow.

SW Ontario gets hit more because they are closer to those other great lakes, and the wind blows over the lakes onto them. North of Toronto is closer to Georgian Bay, so they get more lake effect snow.

We do get hit from time to time but yeah. Everywhere else around us seems to get hit more.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    Al_wat wrote: »
    I think toronto and area doesn't get dumped on as much because we are on the northern shore of lake ontario and the winds usually blow towards the south. Meaning NY State gets the lake effect snow.

SW Ontario gets hit more because they are closer to those other great lakes, and the wind blows over the lakes onto them. North of Toronto is closer to Georgian Bay, so they get more lake effect snow.

We do get hit from time to time but yeah. Everywhere else around us seems to get hit more.

Yeah like 5 of the top 10 snowy cities in the US are pretty much upstate NY based. Syracuse, Buffalo, Rochester, Utica, and Binghamton.

10-15 feet of snow per year on average.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    My wife really wants to get me an NES Mini for Christmas and I think it'd also be a great introduction to games for my daughter

Nintendo apparently doesn't want to sell the damn things though

• Options
    YfogVGB.png

people are getting ridiculous

$500 get the fuck out of here

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    60 dollars is already pushing at the high bounds of what I'm willing to pay for that thing.

That shit is crazy, who is buying that thing for more than 100 dollars i just don't understand.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    I wonder if Nintendo is actually getting in on the reselling action, popping up offers like that in addition to the stupidly low release numbers.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    The rest of Canada won't let Toronto ever forget the one time they got a bunch of snow, and had to call in the army to dig them out.

Honestly, it was a good call by the Mayor, but Montreal, Calgary, and Edmonton were all laughing their asses off.

• Options
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    The rest of Canada won't let Toronto ever forget the one time they got a bunch of snow, and had to call in the army to dig them out.

Honestly, it was a good call by the Mayor, but Montreal, Calgary, and Edmonton were all laughing their asses off.

WE WERE UNDER SIEGE

SNOW UP TO YOUR ANKLES

PEOPLE SNIFFLING IN THE STREETS

WHITE FLAKES FALLING FROM THE SKY

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I'm mad because I've got to pay a £100 on top of a bill because it's late, and it's late because my solicitors fucked up.

I will reclaim it but that'll be hard work I can see it now...

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I'm mad because I haven't had good sleep in it don't know how long and I keep getting anxiety attacks.

God damn it, I know what they are and why they're happening so can they please go the fuck away?!

• Options
    I'm mad we're about to get hit with a fucking mini blizzard in 2 days.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I'm mad because after a semester of essentially working unpaid at an elementary school for 25 hours a week I get to pay $170 for the privilege of taking one of several mandatory exams to become a teacher.

• Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    60 dollars is already pushing at the high bounds of what I'm willing to pay for that thing.

That shit is crazy, who is buying that thing for more than 100 dollars i just don't understand.

Considering you can get an actual original NES on ebay for 50$ on average, and game bundles of 10-20 games for around 5$ each, it's extra dumb!

I bet the original NES's are sturdier than that new thing too! Can still get any old nes working with like a 10 cent capacitor at most half the time, if it's even broken!

Altho finding one that's modded to not have a moving game port is worth the extra few bucks ( unless know how to do that mod yourself)

• Options
    it started sleeting when I got to work

hurrah this must be the start of the 3 feet of fucking snow that's about to drop on me

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I'm mad because some meanie decided the best way to drive last night was on my rear bumper with their brights on.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    I'm mad at myself for not realizing that I didn't have my wifi on while watching streams, last night. I seem to have burned through most of my data for this month (computer is bust, can only use phone right now).

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    My landlord is having all of the unoccupied units in this building renovated (4 out of 6, I live in one of the renovated units, there is only one other tenant here who lives above me and works normal hours). I'm unemployed so I have to stay here while they work for 8 straight hours, turning my place into a Home Depot lumber aisle, complete with the noise and smells! And everything in my apartment vibrating and shaking while they work! FOR EIGHT HOURS

They don't start until 8am and don't leave until 3pm or 4pm, so it's not like I have any recourse whatsoever. If I was working somewhere, this wouldn't be an issue....but they also never told me they'd be doing this. And I was planning on working from home every now and then anyway. I stay up late because it's so hard to get any work done during the day while this is going on, and then I end up being woken up in the morning when they begin their work.

I swear to god my next apartment is going to be a fucking shack in the woods 10 miles from any other human being.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Oh you're gonna move in with Gustav?

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    My anger cannot be contained in the job thread..
    My main problem right now is that I am not a people person. I mean, I'm not a misanthrope... Well, not much of one. But I do have generalized anxiety issues. I have to psych myself up for most interactions I have with people. Being a lab supervisor, I cannot just not talk to people. I want to just be an analyst, but the money is in management.
    So, I have a lot of issues correcting people. Of course I do what I need to, but fuck correcting people who are my level or higher at work. I try not to be too passive aggressive, but I also have a very hard time being direct. I hate having to deal with the fuckups of my fellow supervisors. I hate having to ask them to do shit that they should just do. I hate taking on extra work that they and my boss just won't do. I hate that when I ask one of them for something, they just shut down and won't give me anything.
    I also hate that, since I am not a people person, when I escalate it's seen as whining. Or that I'm on the wrong since I'm not everybody's friend. And if I don't deal with it, I won't be up for promotions or raises. I have to get over it.
    And I'm just so angry at everything right now.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    My landlord is having all of the unoccupied units in this building renovated (4 out of 6, I live in one of the renovated units, there is only one other tenant here who lives above me and works normal hours). I'm unemployed so I have to stay here while they work for 8 straight hours, turning my place into a Home Depot lumber aisle, complete with the noise and smells! And everything in my apartment vibrating and shaking while they work! FOR EIGHT HOURS

They don't start until 8am and don't leave until 3pm or 4pm, so it's not like I have any recourse whatsoever. If I was working somewhere, this wouldn't be an issue....but they also never told me they'd be doing this. And I was planning on working from home every now and then anyway. I stay up late because it's so hard to get any work done during the day while this is going on, and then I end up being woken up in the morning when they begin their work.

I swear to god my next apartment is going to be a fucking shack in the woods 10 miles from any other human being.

How feasible is renting like a small studio somewhere to do art? Might be hard being unemployed though without some sort of regular income from commissions or something.

Shack in the woods is a good alternative though

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    bowen wrote: »

How feasible is renting like a small studio somewhere to do art? Might be hard being unemployed though without some sort of regular income from commissions or something.

Shack in the woods is a good alternative though

Pretty unfeasible! I mean, I'd need a place that offered space, electricity, internet, heat, and parking. Month-to-month. In Boston. I can't even imagine what that would cost. I'm already paying $1550 in rent just for my apartment. I'd have to move my entire computer and Cintiq over there and keep it there, and it'd have to be secure enough to where I'd feel comfortable leaving ~$4000 worth of equipment alone. I wouldn't be able to afford a studio in addition to a living space even if I was back to working full-time.

On the plus side though, the construction guys are nice and apologetic, they understand how shitty this is for me. I don't fault them at all, and I've told them such - they're just doing their job, and it's the landlord who decided to omit this information when I was looking at this place. One of the construction guys also apologized to me for "having a mouth on [him]" (i.e. swearing a lot), and I assured him that, as another person with "a mouth on them", I'm not bothered by that at all. They also told me that the loudest things they'd be doing would be over soon, which is good.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular

The terrible idea that popped into my head when reading this: See if the reno team is hiring? You're awake and unable to do anything you want anyways, might as well try to make some money?
    Heck if you're any good, it would make the reno go faster and get them out of your building sooner. . .

Added bonus: you can build your own woods shack with all the skills you'd learn.

• Options
    there was a booger on my keyboard when I got back from lunch

that means someone sat down at my pc and tried to use it

and picked their nose

and tried to type

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Was it left on the U key?

Because that's what I'd do if I wanted to tell someone what I thought of them.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I don't know how you keep doing things with a booger on your finger

if I have a booger on my finger my first priority is "get this booger off my finger"

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Everything is paid

FUCK ADMIN COMPANIES

• Options
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

E

what does it mean chico

WHAT DOES IT MEAN

• Options
    OH MY GOD THEY TOOK MY FUCKING PEN

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I bet they chewed the end of it too.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

E

what does it mean chico

WHAT DOES IT MEAN

Booger... E....

Boog... E...

Boogie

They would like to take you out dancing.

This discussion has been closed.