As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Stellaris] Utopia and the new social order of my fanatical purifiers!

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    In my current game, it's 2341 and somehow I still haven't unlocked the tech for level 2 powerplants. It's definitely hampering my efforts to do anything, seeing as research, armies, navies and everything else runs off power.

Also while I'm complaining, being able to set your war demands once and once only and for a limited amount of time is awful. In my game right now I fought a long and hard war for absolutely nothing because of one dumb click.

Also the release date for the 1.5 patch can't come soon enough!

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    So, some highlights from yesterday's livestream:

Core Systems Cap has been reduced to 3, with standard Pacifist (rather than a Pacifist gov type) getting +2. This is to get people into their first sector faster. On the flipside, +Core Systems modifiers are now more common and include more than just a late-game repeatable tech.

There will be new techs to help speed up late-game wars.

Automated exploration should show up earlier now.

Brief teaser on the government and civics stuff coming next week's dev diary. By the looks of it, instead of choosing, say, an Indirect Democracy, you choose to have a Democracy with civics that increase starting leader skills and reduce leader cost. If that's true, that should allow for many more options on your government even for Fanatical Authoritarians and Egalitarians who aren't materialist, spiritualist, militarist, or pacifist.

Wiz definitely wants to work on improved Federation politics, more mid- and late-game anomalies once you've run out of places to explore, and better fixes for warfare, but unfortunately big changes on those aren't coming with Banks.

Also, Wiz went on twitch chat afterwards and answered questions, someone transcribed them on Reddit here:https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/5uhauz/post_ett_stream_qa_with_wiz/

steam_sig.png
  • TakelTakel Registered User regular
    I'm a little hesitant in being pushed into sectors earlier if sectors aren't efficient. My biggest beef with sectors is that they can squirrel away a huge amount of energy and when it comes to war, that stuff is just sitting in the balance, taunting you. Oh, that 10k energy sitting around doing nothing could fund the Imperial Navy for the next 10 years? Too bad, you can't have it.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
    Takel wrote: »
    I'm a little hesitant in being pushed into sectors earlier if sectors aren't efficient. My biggest beef with sectors is that they can squirrel away a huge amount of energy and when it comes to war, that stuff is just sitting in the balance, taunting you. Oh, that 10k energy sitting around doing nothing could fund the Imperial Navy for the next 10 years? Too bad, you can't have it.

They did mention that the AI for sectors has been reworked... again... so it's more likely to do things with it's resources.

With energy though, there simply isn't much to do *with* EC atm, other than tile blockers, dealing with enclaves or running a deficit for you navy, so you always get that massive bank that you can't touch. Would be nice if you could declare a surplus point where anything over that cap goes to you, regardless of what the sector tax rate is.

steam_sig.png
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    I don't think I will be eating anyone. xenos are for sending to work that uninhabitable artic world that only they can colonize

Foefaller wrote: »
    Takel wrote: »

They did mention that the AI for sectors has been reworked... again... so it's more likely to do things with it's resources.

With energy though, there simply isn't much to do *with* EC atm, other than tile blockers, dealing with enclaves or running a deficit for you navy, so you always get that massive bank that you can't touch. Would be nice if you could declare a surplus point where anything over that cap goes to you, regardless of what the sector tax rate is.

Oh hey Someone has actually made a mod to do just that

steam_sig.png
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    energy is for terraforming

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Got hitched to a Fallen Empire in my current run. It's pretty cool because I every time they destroy a neighbor I get the territory but good fucking god is it boring. I can't do anything other than colonize planets, research, and continue building up my fleet. My galaxy got an unbidden event which I had hoped would occupy them enough for me to break free but the FE curb stomped it. Now I wait until either I get big enough to fight back (gonna be a long while) or the other FE starts a war in heaven.

edited February 2017
    Yeah I wouldn't attach myself to an FE (especially the no-wars-ever Xenophile FE while that's still pretty much the only thing you can do to develop by the time one wakes up) unless it's a War in Heaven or they woke up to fight a crisis (in which case they try to make you a federation member, not a vassal)

War in Heaven is probably your best hope. The victorious FE doles out territory based on how much it's vassals committed to the war effort, so you can find yourself with an absolute shitload of new planets if you give your 110% in it.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    As much as I've played, I don't think I've ever had two FEs go to war in heaven, even if multiple had awakened. Are there any trigger conditions that favor this happening that we know of?

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Yeah I wouldn't attach myself to an FE (especially the no-wars-ever Xenophile FE while that's still pretty much the only thing you can do to develop by the time one wakes up) unless it's a War in Heaven or they woke up to fight a crisis (in which case they try to make you a federation member, not a vassal)

War in Heaven is probably your best hope. The victorious FE doles out territory based on how much it's vassals committed to the war effort, so you can find yourself with an absolute shitload of new planets if you give your 110% in it.

In this particular game I didn't have much choice. The FE was a border neighbor and when they woke up I was far too weak to defend. I ended up abandoning the game as there just wasn't anything left to do but wait and it didn't seem worth it.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Beat my first endgame crisis: the Unbidden (who I think are generally the easier of the crisis to immediately deal with?). Played out pretty funny: a few different empires, including a rival awakened empire, suddenly opened their borders to me--a day later, bam, they appear on a border zone between two smaller powers. Sent a fleet there, 74K vs 51K, mopped it up fast and checked out the wreckage.

Annoyingly, the situation notice is still there (and isn't updated with any of the ship kills)--but that shouldn't spawn any further events I think. Would like to have seen any further story events if there were there, but that still leaves me with the rival awakened empire (who left their borders open) and a potential robot uprising.

If you had taken long enough on the Unbidden:
    Two other Extradimensional Empires -The Aberrant and the Vehement- would have shown up as well, with their own portals, both of which are hostile with you, the Unbidden and each other. The trigger for the Aberrant is the Unbidden covering 15% of the galaxy, while the Vehement starts to show about 25 years after that

Also, unless you mod it only one Crisis can occur in each game, so if you've had the Unbidden, you don't need to worry about your synths rebelling.

EDIT: Though, if you Leviathans and there are other Fallen Empires out there that weren't awakened by the Crisis (i.e. they aren't trying to form a federation) a War in Heaven could still be on the table.

Yeah, I know the Unbidden answer is to nip it in the bud, so to speak--hence why they're usually treated as the easiest of the endgame crises, I think.

That's very interesting about the AI uprising--I got multiple story messages once I started researching the "dangerous" robotics technologies (which in retrospect was a chump move, because I'd largely stopped growing my robotic population anyway and I don't think any of my governors are allowed to), including the one where the drones are caught designing a ship (all drone populations on that planet dismantled, all two of them), and the one in another system a drone injured someone leading to a popular uprising (no practical effect). I was basically waiting with an itchy finger to pull the trigger on an Empire-wide purge, fuck the consequences, etc.

But I don't think I have anything modded to change who endgame crises work, so I guess all that jump drive use trigger the Unbidden event first. Less interesting, but probably for the best. Now I just need to wait till that Awaken Human Empire isn't looking and scorch-earth their home system (and those insane number of defensive platforms) before they close their borders with me. With your federation partners weren't easily distracted idiots, I could do it immediately.

• EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    The only war in heaven I've seen kind of bugged out...I wanted to join the third party federation against both, instead it just made me leave my current federation and failed to put me in the new one.

So I ended up a neutral party, I think I was the only one. Spent the war watching the game struggle with a "huge" galaxy wide war.

• VicVic Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    The only war in heaven I've seen kind of bugged out...I wanted to join the third party federation against both, instead it just made me leave my current federation and failed to put me in the new one.

So I ended up a neutral party, I think I was the only one. Spent the war watching the game struggle with a "huge" galaxy wide war.

The one time I've seen a fallen empire wake up it bugged out as well, in a strange way. A Keepers of Knowledge empire woke up as the unbidden started rampaging through the galaxy, and soon joined up with me and my friends (4 player multi match) to fight them. It was by far the most epic conflict I have seen in the year, systems constantly being lost and regained for all three players that bordered the dead zone, since our combined fleets (excluding the empire) were only just enough to pick off lone unbidden fleets, but not enough to make any headway into their territory. The war spanned decades, but thanks to the awakened empire we eventually won.

The issue that followed was that we were still in a federation with the empire, and it vetoed any wars we wanted to start. When we eventually abandoned our precious alliance we found that while most of us could get out, it was impossible for the last player stuck with the fallen empire in the federation to leave. In the end I had to wipe it out to let my friend out, but at that point the game was practically over anyway.

Vic on
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Ooh, looks like there's going to be a lot more options, nice. Now there might be an actual reason to switch government types other than "I just researched the better version of what I'm already using".

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I assume both Civics and Authority will not be set in stone, but I doubt you'll be able to just switch 'em around willy-nilly. Or at least, I'd be very disappointed if you could. Maybe an expenditure of influence?

Also, if a Mechanist, Technocratic Oligarchy combines into a Science Directorate, I wonder what a Environmentalist, Police State Democracy is going to be called.

• KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    I assume both Civics and Authority will not be set in stone, but I doubt you'll be able to just switch 'em around willy-nilly. Or at least, I'd be very disappointed if you could. Maybe an expenditure of influence?

Also, if a Mechanist, Technocratic Oligarchy combines into a Science Directorate, I wonder what a Environmentalist, Police State Democracy is going to be called.

Germany.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I wonder if

Wonder what that bonus in the middle is. Maybe extra core sectors if you dont want another ethic?

• The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Well it seems to be the same symbol as the last Authority type. Perhaps its Hive Mind?

Edit: Yeah, it seems like Hive Mind

Also, You can start with two different pop types!

The Brayster on
    Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Also, You can start with two different pop types!

I know the bird-of-prey-with-spread-wings imagery has been used for all kinds of militaristic societies, but this one for Citizen Service looks an awful lot like the one from the Starship Troopers movie, where service did guarantee citizenship.

• RuldarRuldar Registered User regular
    The huge number of features coming in 1.5 has kind of ruined 1.4 for me. I like the current game, but oh my god do I need Utopia.

Aliens not your thing? why not kill them all?

steam_sig.png
    edited February 2017
    Also, Syncretic Evolution is something I've been wanting forever. I already even have an Empire idea for it (where the dumb labor are ancient astronauts, not a second species. Lore had them dying off before the game starts, but now...)

Also, being exclusive to this the Mechanist Government civic... Are we going to be able to start with robot pops too?

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Oh man, each empire is going to have so much flavour.

While I do generally try out a new patch with my chilled out space sloths, the "armageddon" bombing stance might be too much to pass up on for my first play through.

Speaking of playing as space arseholes, how does everyone approach the early game in terms of conquest? It seems to me that the power of space stations early on means you're not going to be actually defeating anyone in war for quite a while. At which point I just do my usual start of rushing straight to colonisation tech and grabbing at least a few planets ASAP.

edited February 2017
    Campy wrote: »
    Oh man, each empire is going to have so much flavour.

While I do generally try out a new patch with my chilled out space sloths, the "armageddon" bombing stance might be too much to pass up on for my first play through.

Speaking of playing as space arseholes, how does everyone approach the early game in terms of conquest? It seems to me that the power of space stations early on means you're not going to be actually defeating anyone in war for quite a while. At which point I just do my usual start of rushing straight to colonisation tech and grabbing at least a few planets ASAP.

Find your neighbors, figure out who hates who and who hates you the least, rival the rival(s) of the one who likes you more, form a NAP. That is your dupe to help you for first couple early-game wars.

After that you start building up, and once you colonize at least one more world (ideally two) and get about 3k worth of fleet power, have a joint war dec where you take everything and they get to humiliate them.

Repeat until you and your dupe are all that's left in your cluster, then break the NAP, build up for the next 10 years, and wardec them once the forced truce is over.

Enslave as needed.

Whenever you run into a point where you can't support any more fleet (normally an EC issue I find, not a Fleet cap one) You should be spending those minerals you can't use on colonizing and Frontier Outposts in places you want to hold/colonize in the future. If you're Militarist you should being getting good influence from your rival (singular, until you're the biggest threat in the area or you start dealing with defensive pacts and federations where they're already joined together) as long as you don't go crazy on the Frontier Outposts. No need to go past NAP with your dupe, unless there is someone close who hates you and is bigger than you, which on higher difficulties is a distinct possibility.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular

Well hive minds are genuinely creepy!

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Disabling the tutorial is a nice touch.

The immortal ruler would be really rng heavy, seems like.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Hive mind looks neat. I was hoping I could borg people with it. I guess the genetic modification is the closest thing?

Hive mind bombs would be awesome. Drop a few and the population starts becoming part of the hive mind. All are one with in.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    It looks like some of those options could point towards your hive-mind being either natural or artificial? Going just by the name, Subsumed Will sounds like someone went and forced a civilization into a gestalt.

Natural Neural Network, on the other hand, sounds more like it's just a particularly alien form of, uh, alien.

• DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    It looks like some of those options could point towards your hive-mind being either natural or artificial? Going just by the name, Subsumed Will sounds like someone went and forced a civilization into a gestalt.

Natural Neural Network, on the other hand, sounds more like it's just a particularly alien form of, uh, alien.

Like the Tholian Assembly or the Protoss. Heh or the Skritt in gw2.

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

I thought those were mandatory civics based on the description of Hive mind itself. Super curious what "subsumed will" adds to that list.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
    That's really cool stuff.

Come on, Paradox, give me the ability to have a permanent cabinet like in your other games! I want a bunch of fawning lackeys waiting for the chance to off my leader and assume the mantle of control!

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

Come on, Paradox, give me the ability to have a permanent cabinet like in your other games! I want a bunch of fawning lackeys waiting for the chance to off my leader and assume the mantle of control!

I'm hoping that is what federations evolve into - a group of superbest friends always watching to make sure the other members don't take over, split, or turn the enlightened democracy into something out of WH40K.

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Hive mind looks neat. I was hoping I could borg people with it. I guess the genetic modification is the closest thing?

Hive mind bombs would be awesome. Drop a few and the population starts becoming part of the hive mind. A̡̢̝̣͖̣l̷̻͔̼͉͞l̢̦̙͜͝ are o̸̲ǹ͓̺͠e҉̸͕̥̮̙̞̙͇ͅ with in.

Makͭ͆ͥ͂e͂̄̄ͤ̚͡ .̴̶͠u͠ş͢ w̶̮͙̙̰h̘ole.̡̨̙͔͍̟͚̹͎͉̩͇̝̯͍̜̬̜͈͟

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Greetings Parts

d8nbf7p3dz7i.jpg

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
    edited February 2017

Now I want it just so I can have a hive mind council of creepy yes-men.

We forsee no other course of action. We proceed as planned.

ArbitraryDescriptor on

I'm hoping that is what federations evolve into - a group of superbest friends always watching to make sure the other members don't take over, split, or turn the enlightened democracy into something out of WH40K.

I really want the influence system to be divorced from recruiting leaders--along with the leader cap. It's just....punitive for the sake of being punitive. Keep modifications, buffs and penalties for your leaders, but the notion that "Nope, you can't appoint a governor, because the rules say so and you already have TWO admirals!" seems like it has everything to do with unwarranted need for a gameplay penalty at the cost of unique experience and complexity.

There probably is a good reason to have it that way though. And there's probably a mod to fix that.

Now I want it just so I can have a hive mind council of creepy yes-men.

We forsee no other course of action. We proceed as planned.

Or the ability to replace a conniving cabinet member with an Advisotron 5000 while they cool their heels in a brain jar.

Psionic lobotomies and Heart plugs wouldn't seem out of the question in this IP, either. The sci-fi possibilities for standard paradox skullduggery and despotic reprisal are endless. I'll buy that DLC.

edited February 2017

I really want the influence system to be divorced from recruiting leaders--along with the leader cap. It's just....punitive for the sake of being punitive. Keep modifications, buffs and penalties for your leaders, but the notion that "Nope, you can't appoint a governor, because the rules say so and you already have TWO admirals!" seems like it has everything to do with unwarranted need for a gameplay penalty at the cost of unique experience and complexity.

There probably is a good reason to have it that way though. And there's probably a mod to fix that.

Will leaders still be paid for out of the new 'Unity' currency? I thought that was taking over for most Influence expenses.

I can't find any reference to this now. Wishful thinking buffer overflow, perhaps.

ArbitraryDescriptor on