As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Casefile four, Page one: 4/15] Dresden Files - Those Swamp Wizards

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I really want to work the aspect "Two Rights Make A Wrong" into Jack's sheet somewhere.

For reasons.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Great session last night, guys. DA, looking forward to catching you up! We didn't do any of the Guest Starring stuff (though there was lots of speculation). We're good to go once we get you hashed out. :)

• Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    I don't even feel like 'great' does it justice. 'Obscene' maybe.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    We set out to generate hooks.

In the end, we created barbed, rusty treble hooks coated in nerve toxin.

Mission: Success.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Flawed characters that you root for and at the same time desperately hope someone stops are the best characters.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Hmmmmmmmm I say. Not exactly what I was thinking but definitely looks like a better fit with the rest of the group.

Did you guys Mumble or were you Audacious? If I could grab the mumble file I can listen to it to catch up. I think Audacity would be a bunch of different files and kinda a pain to get working.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    We did the audacity thing, gimme one sec I'll smash it all up into a single mp3. They're on the Google Drive under Those Swamp Wizards/Episode Audio/20161119.

Edit: Also, we like spoil everything. Spoilers. But we warn you before spoiling. I think.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Are you guys going to be posting these to ThatDnD?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Brody wrote: »
    Are you guys going to be posting these to ThatDnD?
    Yup, they'll be posting after the current backlog.

• Options
    Hmmmmmmmm I say. Not exactly what I was thinking but definitely looks like a better fit with the rest of the group.

Definitely play what you want to play. Don't feel like you need to be this guy to fit in with the group. He just kind of materialized through some of our prologue brainstorming. Definitely not as part of a deep, dark secret that some of us share I Know What You Did Last Summer style, though. No siree.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Ardent didn't clap. :cry:

Edit: He started at clap! It worked. DA, check your inbox.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    So looking over ZAMP, am I right in reading it that the idea is the Sight is basically stuck on so what memories they have are crazy spirit journey-esque memories?

• Options
    So looking over ZAMP, am I right in reading it that the idea is the Sight is basically stuck on so what memories they have are crazy spirit journey-esque memories?

That could be the case, sure.

My intention was that since they're a zombie with the Sight, whatever they had previously seen with it was still burnt into their dead brain. The only memories they have of their old life, essentially, are the ones they got using the Sight. Which is a weird but interesting subset of previous experience to draw on or make declarations with.

• Options
    Oh, that's also really good.

• Options
    I feel like Jdark could use that to do some really crazy foreshadowing and/or melodramatic tension building depending on, you know, what you were and what happened to you.

• Options
    Yea, and it is a satisfying extrapolation of the settings narrative rules. With the downside to the Sight being that what is seen with it can never be forgotten it serves as a natural loophole to the loss of memory. *pushes up glasses*

That and it is a big old present to the GM which I'm always in favor of.

• Options
    I feel like every character in this group is basically just a huge gift to the GM in some way.

• Options
    Dresden Files also has a mechanic for guessing Aspects, which could be extra fun if you're effectively investigating yourself.

• Options
    That could be a really interesting direction to take the first adventure stuff.

Aspect: I Used To Be Somebody (Else)

• Options
    edited November 2016
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Ardent didn't clap. :cry:

Edit: He started at clap! It worked. DA, check your inbox.
    I was just getting ready when you clapped and I was like "fuck it, better throw the switch now."

I need to set Audacity up to not record all of the background noise in here next time.

Ardent on
  • Options
    I've been thinking a bit about Jack's aspects. Specifically "The OPD Chief is my AA Sponsor" and "Orlando's Worst Kept Secret Identity".

A few potential replacements I've come up with;

Orlando Luminaries Blowing Up My Phone
    Everyone In This Town Wants A Piece Of Jack
    I Wear A Mask Because My Face Is On Everything
    Oh Yeah, I Know Them
    Dated Every Executive Assistant In Orlando

The things I'm trying to capture are that; Jack knows a ton of people, especially powerful ones, He's not very good at this secret identity thing and has probably slipped up with at least a few people and He's super famous locally which makes every unplanned Orcish Avenger outing that much more likely to result in youtube footage of Jack DuChamp fighting vampires or something.

I'm struggling on the exact wording, though.

• Options
    I think the middle one does a good job of what you're looking for.

Also, "Orcish Avenger", heh.

• Options
    I like to ask myself, "Can I compelling someone to do something stupid with this?"
    So, ya know, I like these. ;D

Would you change your Rising Conflict?

Also, DA, what are your thoughts on the character? Let's get some revamping in, etc, and we can go from there and finish off character creation before 12/3.

• Options
    I like to ask myself, "Can I compelling someone to do something stupid with this?"
    So, ya know, I like these. ;D

Would you change your Rising Conflict?

Yeah, they'd probably go in Rising Conflict and First Adventure slots.

• Options
    Also, DA, what are your thoughts on the character? Let's get some revamping in, etc, and we can go from there and finish off character creation before 12/3.

Blech, I had this written out but somehow lost it.

Generally positive. Not sure I'm getting what is meant by "Past life Aggression". Which might be just that I think I'd phrase what it is referring to differently.

Mechanically I think I'm good but I might tinker with the skills a little bit. Die by the sword with a giant magic sword is pretty hilarious though.

It is kinda sad that the big reason I don't want to swap Revenant for Zombie is that acronym...

• Options
    edited November 2016
    My intention with Past Life Aggression was mainly a play on words with "past-life regression" that could be used positively as a combat/intimidation boost against anyone you could claim to have known in life and negatively as a stream of people you don't remember anymore but who hold a grudge against you for some reason come boiling out of the woodwork. Or maybe just refuse to deal with you at all because of something you did or because of what you became.

As always, if you'd rather run with something else though, that is very much your option.

Also, R.A.M.P. works just fine. Maybe try to work Driving in on the skill list somewhere, I guess. I'd be really surprised if there wasn't some motor-oriented theme park with those initials in this town.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    Listened to the session rough.

I gotta say we must have been tired, because nobody said "Bob's Discount Voodoo and Donuts."

• Options
    I'm almost done with it now. Oats' audio is off for me by like 30 seconds. With how quiet he was, that makes him basically a non-entity in audio.

Which is a shame.

• Options
    Yeah. Adam's mic was cutting in and out a bit too. I think his phantom power supply was getting unplugged, maybe.

• Options
  • Options
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    My intention with Past Life Aggression was mainly a play on words with "past-life regression" that could be used positively as a combat/intimidation boost against anyone you could claim to have known in life and negatively as a stream of people you don't remember anymore but who hold a grudge against you for some reason come boiling out of the woodwork. Or maybe just refuse to deal with you at all because of something you did or because of what you became.

As always, if you'd rather run with something else though, that is very much your option.

Alright, I had gotten where you were going but the phrasing doesn't gel for me. I actually think Jdark's earlier "Someone I use to know" hits most of the same notes, albeit not quite as violently.

Also, R.A.M.P. works just fine. Maybe try to work Driving in on the skill list somewhere, I guess. I'd be really surprised if there wasn't some motor-oriented theme park with those initials in this town.[/quote]

Hmm...and need like an old beat up muscle car that is also really hard to kill. Wait, oh, did I just become Ghost Rider?

• Options
    More like a Dullahan with a sweet new ride.

• Options
    One of my favorite DFRPG characters was a Warden who rode into town on a magical Indian soft tail.

I'd buy a zombie in a 69 Camaro.

• Options
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    One of my favorite DFRPG characters was a Warden who rode into town on a magical Indian soft tail.

I'd buy a zombie in a 69 Camaro.
    He said Beat-Up and this is Florida, so...AMC SC Rambler (aka "Scrambler"), in my opinion.

• Options
    I flipped out my rising action and first adventure for those other aspects. We'll see how this goes.

• Options
    I love how DA was basically handed a character and says "That's cool, let's add fire."

• Options
    A think occured to me as I was driving north for 4 hours just now;

@DeamonIzual

We talked a little during the last session about how as a knight of one of the courts the catches for your Toughness/Recovery powers is going to be pretty well known and easy to meet for the other court. The thought I had, that I already knew but didn't express during the character building session for some reason, is that this is a lot of the reason that Knights don't go deep on any given Toughness or Recovery power, instead sort of spreading stuff out into other abilities. Because your catch doesn't effect Supernatural Speed at all, for example. And that +X to Athletics when used to defend is essentially Armor X as long as you're usually defending with Athletics (+x to your defensive roll is essentially -x to their success total on the attack, which is in turn -x to their damage dealt).

So Knights might not be crazy tough, but they're still really hard to kill. Even if you're swinging cold iron or fire or whatever.

(This is part of the reason that I will always find a way for my character to have a high, if not apex, Athletics. Because better defense is almost always as good as being really tough, and straight Athletics gets rolled a lot more than straight Endurance anyway.)

• Options
    Whereas Florida Man just pancakes and then jellies back up.

• Options
    Which is definitely another way to go.