As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Flash]: New New Season

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I think we're going to have to learn to accept that everybody on this show has done stupid stuff, and have done so since the very first time Barry thought to himself "Hey, I can't tell Cop Dad that I have super powers in order to protect him".

Honestly, if all the characters did suddenly stop acting like blithering idiots the show wouldn't be nearly as entertaining.
    "Hey, Barry, new meta human showed up...
    "Cool, let me pick up a lead pipe then crack the new meta in the knee at nearly the speed of sound
    swoosh *SMACK* thump
    "Case closed, who wants burgers?

Might be a fun joke once or twice, but hard to sustain a series that way.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Barry's speech to Iris was awful, especially so hot on the heels of calling out just how little the character's been given to work with. Just straight bullshit.

On the other hand:
    Multi-verse Vibe battle was surprising comic book goodness. Minus the most no-frills unearned foreshadowed ending ever. Everything before that was aces.

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    I like having 2 flashes so far, I thought it would annoy me originally. I like how Wally has turned out. Yay teamwork!

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Wouldn't it have been a lot easier to just phase the debris?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

I think that whatever you're phasing has to be moving, maybe? Or that might just be something that I made up to cover over a potential plot hole.
    Alternatively: SPEED FORCE!. That should solve any problems.

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

I think that whatever you're phasing has to be moving, maybe? Or that might just be something that I made up to cover over a potential plot hole.
    Alternatively: SPEED FORCE!. That should solve any problems.

That would sort of make sense from the physics standpoint I suppose.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Tossing shade at STAR Labs security is never not funny.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular

I'm pretty sure the train worked because it was all one connected object so the energy generated from flash vibrating could transfer to the whole train and allow the train to phase. It would have been easier to phase the debris because it was less total mass, but since some of the pieces were likely not directly touching keeping all the pieces phased at once would prove difficult.

Or... SPEED FORCE

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Asking questions like that just ends with asking why the train didn't phase though the rails and ground and end up falling down until it got very, very hot.
    Because SPEED FORCE, obviously.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    You know, I really like how they're developing Barry into a leader. It's especially noticeable with Wally's apprenticeship. Season 2 felt like his character development was in a sort of holding pattern; this feels like a more natural progression from Season 1 Barry. The way they flipped the dynamic with this season's Wells helps with that, too. Run, Wally, run.

Speaking of Wally, I think this is what they had in mind when they cast the character, it just took them awhile to get there. The dynamic he has with the rest of the characters is spot on, managing to hit many of the same beats as Season 1 while feeling different.

I'm kind of two minds about Caitlin this season. On one hand, the whole evil personality thing feels contrived. On the other, I like the idea of superpowers having a psychological effect. Usually, it's that having powers just allows someone to be the hero that was always inside them. Turning that idea on its head is interesting. Handled well, that's a neat counterpoint to the way Barry and Wally love being superheroes. I'm just not sure they're handling it well.

• Options
    Not a fan of Caitlin falling for whoever the guest star for the season is though.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Not a fan of Caitlin falling for whoever the guest star for the season is though.

You never know, they could have him move away instead of die.

I know it's a longshot, but I'd really like if Felton stayed on. I dig the dynamic of having a trusted ally who's kind of a dick.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    This is justified, he looks like the jerk wizard in those movies she liked.
    (You know she shipped Draco/Ron)

• Options
    Flash was mentioned on "Powerless" tonight.

So when can we get a Flash/Powerless crossover?

• Options
    klemming wrote: »
    This is justified, he looks like the jerk wizard in those movies she liked.
    (You know she shipped Draco/Ron)
    She probably never watched them, unless Cisco made her.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Flash was mentioned on "Powerless" tonight.

So when can we get a Flash/Powerless crossover?

Maybe never, but you never know.

• Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I don't watch Powerless, my girlfriend and I couldn't stand the first 10 minutes (Alan Tudyk we normally love you!). Although in terms of Flash crossover, I don't think it's in the same universe at all, since they talk a lot about Wayne? I think the best they could do would be through dimension travelling like with Supergirl. There's already a flash in that universe though, which could be cool to do a meet up sort of thing, but I would bet that the flash we know is much different to the flash that exists in Powerless - much more established and probably part of the Justice League.

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    The multi-verse makes all things possible.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

But not this. Powerless is on NBC. The only reason the original Flash/Supergirl crossover worked is because CBS owns half of the CW.

• Options

But not this. Powerless is on NBC. The only reason the original Flash/Supergirl crossover worked is because CBS owns half of the CW.
    And even then, it didn't effect anyone in the Arrow-verse (other than the two titular characters meeting). It barely affected anyone on Supergirl.

sig.gif
  • Options

And even then, it didn't effect anyone in the Arrow-verse (other than the two titular characters meeting). It barely affected anyone on Supergirl.

You call Kara getting super-fast ice cream and being the happiest person ever born "barely affected?" Pistols at dawn.

• Options

It's Christmas for fanfic.

• Options
    There was once a cross over of Alley McBeal and the Practice when the Practice was on ABC and McBeal was on FOX.

• Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    You know, I really like how they're developing Barry into a leader. It's especially noticeable with Wally's apprenticeship. Season 2 felt like his character development was in a sort of holding pattern; this feels like a more natural progression from Season 1 Barry. The way they flipped the dynamic with this season's Wells helps with that, too. Run, Wally, run.

Speaking of Wally, I think this is what they had in mind when they cast the character, it just took them awhile to get there. The dynamic he has with the rest of the characters is spot on, managing to hit many of the same beats as Season 1 while feeling different.

I'm kind of two minds about Caitlin this season. On one hand, the whole evil personality thing feels contrived. On the other, I like the idea of superpowers having a psychological effect. Usually, it's that having powers just allows someone to be the hero that was always inside them. Turning that idea on its head is interesting. Handled well, that's a neat counterpoint to the way Barry and Wally love being superheroes. I'm just not sure they're handling it well.

Wait if Barry is the mentor then.... does that mean Barry is actually the end of season villain?! You heard it here first: Barry never made it out of the speed force when he tossed the relic in, savitar swapped places with him and has been posing as Barry this whole time! dun dun dun

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    So I'm really not looking forward to the gorilla city two week event. I haven't been a fan of the Grodd episodes thus far, and this just feels like doubling down on awful.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    So I'm really not looking forward to the gorilla city two week event. I haven't been a fan of the Grodd episodes thus far, and this just feels like doubling down on awful.

Yes but we're one step closer to all the speedsters

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Lorek wrote: »

Wait if Barry is the mentor then.... does that mean Barry is actually the end of season villain?! You heard it here first: Barry never made it out of the speed force when he tossed the relic in, savitar swapped places with him and has been posing as Barry this whole time! dun dun dun

Barry's been the season villain since he screwed up time, Savitar's been trying to fix everything.

• Options
    Reverse Flash is the one that b0rked "present day" Arrow-verse.

sig.gif
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Reverse Flash is the one that b0rked "present day" Arrow-verse.
    Nah, it's still Barry's fault for trying to change the timeline. Dude should have known better by now.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Yeah, hopefully he will have learned his lesson and never change the time line again.

So whose excited for him changing the timeline to save Iris?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Well...
    Legends of Tomorrow spoilers
    an undead Barry has been chasing Eobard Thawne. They don't really call him Barry, but he's wearing Barry's suit and doesn't look at all like the time wraith they used before.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Well...
    an undead Barry has been chasing Eobard Thawne. They don't really call him Barry, but he's wearing Barry's suit and doesn't look at all like the time wraith they used before.
    I'm about 150% certain that's Zoom, what with looking 100% identical to him during his undeadification scene.

And because it's Zoom's actor.

And because Zoom's actor said it was him.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Well...

Um...
    That is Zoom. The Time Wraiths turned him into the Black Flash, who in the comics is basically the Speed forces own personal Grim Reaper.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Yeah, hopefully he will have learned his lesson and never change the time line again.

So whose excited for him changing the timeline to save Iris?

Changing time is just something the Flash does. These complaints make me laugh because this is just an aspect of the Flash in the comics. If he learned from his mistakes in the show about this, then he wouldn't be Barry Allen. Barry has broken time and space in the comics numerous times, and in one case completely erased his entire universe permanently. Barry has the single most dangerous powerset in all of DC, and for some reason the rest of the universe is just cool with that. :P

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    It's funny to me how they try to say 'going back in time and trying to alter the future is a bad idea', and he never counters with the fact that he's saved them from a tsunami and magical super-nuke so far.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Yeah, if Barry went back in time sooner and more often he'd avoid a lot of problems!

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    It's funny to me how they try to say 'going back in time and trying to alter the future is a bad idea', and he never counters with the fact that he's saved them from a tsunami and magical super-nuke so far.

Well both those were less than 24 hours. It seems like the further back you go the worse shit gets

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    I liked Barry's time travel when it was limited to 24 hours.

• Options
    Yeah, but even then they were trying to push the message 'when you travel back and try to change the future, bad stuff happens in response'.
    Sure, it was Evil Wells pushing that, but even Barry seemed to agree with it afterwards.
    I mean, sure Cisco's brother getting his hands frozen was bad, but compared to getting his everything drowned along with a few million other people, it seems like a net positive.