As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Elder Scrolls Online] It's the 2nd Era, so is this Oblivion 2, or Oblivion -1?

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    "tiny"... I've never had 27k. :lol:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Well, how odd. It said "Hire guild trader," and there didn't appear to be an associated store, but it wouldn't let me hire him outright. /shrug? In any case, I used the 27k in the guild bank to put in a bid. If we win, I should know on Sunday. If not, I apologize for using up the tiny 27k in the guild bank and will replace it myself, I guess.

If we DO get the trader there, I'll start some sort of weekly donation drive to try to keep him. I don't imagine we'll get a hell of a lot of traffic down there, but it's worth a go.

It's not unheard of for guild traders that don't appear to be hired to be buggy. One of my guilds dealt with that during a week it had lost its bids and the leader was messing around with random traders in the interim.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Just finished the Orsinium main quest.
    1. My player character is stupid. I had figured out that Kurog was bad news and his mother worse WAY before, plus Bazrag being the right choice to back. Surga (?) the high priest of Trinimac was also a case of DO NOT STAND IN THE OPEN YOU IDIO--- welp. Unless you can save her and I didn't know :\

2. That said, Bazrag is legit and I would vote for him for President so

3. I wish there was more done with the orc tribe you can become chief of if you're an orc. They're like "I HOPE YOU AREN'T DOING THIS AS A LARK" and I'm like "dudes if the game would let me I'd settle down here with a fucking house and smother you in affection you're mine now ;-; " but, alas, gameplay and story segregation. Still, I like to think that Princess Punchfist is a good chief and that she has like, 40 wives.

*edit*

Okay also
    Anyone who sacrifices Talvieh the young High Elf nerd to the Vosh Rakh? Fuck you. I'm gonna ban you from the guild you heartless bastards. Nobody touch my precious cinnamon roll. I know he's a High Elf and therefore worthy of contempt but nonetheless: fuck you.

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    1. My player character is stupid. I had figured out that Kurog was bad news and his mother worse WAY before, plus Bazrag being the right choice to back. Surga (?) the high priest of Trinimac was also a case of DO NOT STAND IN THE OPEN YOU IDIO--- welp. Unless you can save her and I didn't know :\

3. I wish there was more done with the orc tribe you can become chief of if you're an orc. They're like "I HOPE YOU AREN'T DOING THIS AS A LARK" and I'm like "dudes if the game would let me I'd settle down here with a fucking house and smother you in affection you're mine now ;-; " but, alas, gameplay and story segregation. Still, I like to think that Princess Punchfist is a good chief and that she has like, 40 wives.

*edit*

Okay also
    Anyone who sacrifices Talvieh the young High Elf nerd to the Vosh Rakh? Fuck you. I'm gonna ban you from the guild you heartless bastards. Nobody touch my precious cinnamon roll. I know he's a High Elf and therefore worthy of contempt but nonetheless: fuck you.

While I liked many of the characters introduced in Orsinium, my main take away from it was that there are good reasons Orsinium ends up a failed wreck yet again and the orcs little more than bigger goblins by the time the first ES games rolled around.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options

*edit*

Okay also

While I liked many of the characters introduced in Orsinium, my main take away from it was that there are good reasons Orsinium ends up a failed wreck yet again and the orcs little more than bigger goblins by the time the first ES games rolled around.

Well, with that said, there's a good 700 years until Arena, so they've got some time to be a pretty great city. I feel like the new King is going to do a great job... and then after he's gone it's all gonna go to shit the next time the place gets sacked.

• Options
    ElixirElixir Saving Your Ass Alchemists and Belts EverywhereRegistered User regular
    So the allure of 'Morrowind' was too great for me so I threw down for the ESO gold edition and the Morrowind chapter. This is my first MMO (at 30 no less) and it's been pretty fun so far! By chance is there a current PA guild on PS4? I didn't see one on the top post, but it can't hurt to ask.

ElixirSulfClipCropped1(s)1.jpg

• Options
    Predictably, we did NOT win the guild trader, and I am very annoyed about that glitch. I will try to remember to restore the 27k to the Guild Bank.

@Elixir , unfortunately there is not a PA PS4 guild to my knowledge :(

• Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    So my wife and I picked this up, and I had a couple questions. If we want to play together from the very beginning, do we need to pick the same alliance and/or race? Also, does the game have any scaling for when a higher level player groups with a lower level player? I'm perusing the newbie resources here and there, of course, but any other newbie tips anyone has are always appreciated.

• Options
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    So my wife and I picked this up, and I had a couple questions. If we want to play together from the very beginning, do we need to pick the same alliance and/or race? Also, does the game have any scaling for when a higher level player groups with a lower level player? I'm perusing the newbie resources here and there, of course, but any other newbie tips anyone has are always appreciated.

The game scales your characters to the world. So level mismatching isn't a super big deal. It's not perfect because skills and gear still matter, but in terms of raw stats, it'll balance out.

As for playing together, I haven't personally tested it but as far as I know, since they went all "One Tamriel" you should be able to meet up immediately after the tutorial and sally forth together thereafter. If you're in the same faction, you can probably do the tutorial zone together, too.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @Vi Monks If you don't care about PVP, then choosing different factions doesn't matter, you can play together as soon as you get in and warp to whomever's starting zone you want.

However, if you think the two of you might get into PVP, same faction would probably be best.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options

The game scales your characters to the world. So level mismatching isn't a super big deal. It's not perfect because skills and gear still matter, but in terms of raw stats, it'll balance out.

As for playing together, I haven't personally tested it but as far as I know, since they went all "One Tamriel" you should be able to meet up immediately after the tutorial and sally forth together thereafter. If you're in the same faction, you can probably do the tutorial zone together, too.
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    @Vi Monks If you don't care about PVP, then choosing different factions doesn't matter, you can play together as soon as you get in and warp to whomever's starting zone you want.

However, if you think the two of you might get into PVP, same faction would probably be best.

Sounds like it'll be pretty straightforward to stick together then. Thanks!

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @Vi Monks Something important to keep in mind: If you start doing questing on your own, there are places where you completing a quest will change the area. If the other person HASN'T completed that quest, the two of you will phase out of sync. Get far enough away and you'll reappear to each other.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    @Vi Monks Something important to keep in mind: If you start doing questing on your own, there are places where you completing a quest will change the area. If the other person HASN'T completed that quest, the two of you will phase out of sync. Get far enough away and you'll reappear to each other.

Thanks, good to know. Does this mostly apply to main story quests? Like could one of us do some side questing on our own so long as we stayed together on the main quest? Or are the quests not really structured that way?

• Options

Thanks, good to know. Does this mostly apply to main story quests? Like could one of us do some side questing on our own so long as we stayed together on the main quest? Or are the quests not really structured that way?

A lot of side quests use instancing on different phases, not just the main quests. It's more prevalent with the main plot quests for a zone but not limited to them.

Steam Profile
  • Options

A lot of side quests use instancing on different phases, not just the main quests. It's more prevalent with the main plot quests for a zone but not limited to them.

Gotcha, thanks. I'll probably just make an alt then if I feel like playing solo.

• Options
    Good grief. I have to say, I do NOT miss the Guild Wars 2 trading post. I know people in this game bitch a lot about the lack of a global auction house, complaining about how hard it is what with everything being separated into guild shops, but imho it keeps the trading post barons from controlling the market completely.

Just today in GW2,
    someone bought 40k sticks of butter JUST to do some weird market manipulation. Doing the same sort of thing in ESO would require going to multiple trading posts in quick succession... and likely the market wouldn't even notice or care. Meanwhile, in GW2, people are freaking out about it, wondering what's been datamined or whatever. Then, due to a recent patch that changed how a certain kind of leather salvages into leather you can use for crafting, the supply of Bloodstone Warped Leather dropped from 13k to five total in about five minutes. Again, it is impossible to do that in ESO, at least, not within five minutes -- someone COULD buy up 13k worth of something, but it would take them longer than 5 minutes to find it all.

So yeah. I'll gladly take having to use TTC to search Guild Stores and having to hoof it around the map over this nonsense.

• Options
    TTC?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Good grief. I have to say, I do NOT miss the Guild Wars 2 trading post. I know people in this game bitch a lot about the lack of a global auction house, complaining about how hard it is what with everything being separated into guild shops, but imho it keeps the trading post barons from controlling the market completely.

Just today in GW2,
    someone bought 40k sticks of butter JUST to do some weird market manipulation. Doing the same sort of thing in ESO would require going to multiple trading posts in quick succession... and likely the market wouldn't even notice or care. Meanwhile, in GW2, people are freaking out about it, wondering what's been datamined or whatever. Then, due to a recent patch that changed how a certain kind of leather salvages into leather you can use for crafting, the supply of Bloodstone Warped Leather dropped from 13k to five total in about five minutes. Again, it is impossible to do that in ESO, at least, not within five minutes -- someone COULD buy up 13k worth of something, but it would take them longer than 5 minutes to find it all.

So yeah. I'll gladly take having to use TTC to search Guild Stores and having to hoof it around the map over this nonsense.

IMO in order for that to become a big concern in ESO there would need to be enough content added to cause such big fluctuations in material prices instead of frequently leaving crafters in limbo.

TTC also isn't up to date if players running the full add on client aren't refreshing it. It hasn't been unheard of to have to spend 20 minutes checking prices and hoofing it to guild traders trying to find one with an item still in stock.

I'd also argue that someone could spike a market in ESO if they wanted to by buying things up in Rawl'kha, Mournhold, Wayrest, Belkarth, and maybe Elden Root so that the Master Merchant data of those city's guilds go nuts and those prices spread when members of those guilds provide price checks to their guildmates in more casual trade guilds, it just wouldn't be as quick. Someone may have done that with the green woodworking material a bit back and caused it to go up over the price of the blue material but far fewer people are involved in commerce in ESO so a lot of people didn't notice.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    TTC?

Tamriel Trade Centre.

It's a combination add-on and app (GET THE APP) that you can use to scan guild stores (lower left corner), and then it posts all the listings in the guild stores to the online database I just linked. As @SteelAngel noted, it's not always 100% up to date, BUT it still can give you a very good idea of what average prices for items are (a MUCH better idea than Master Merchant, which only works if you're in AT LEAST three very large trade guilds -- though MM also has other tools that are pretty great) and a decent idea of where to find those items. If you are lucky, it can be both a huge time-saver AND a way to find items for much cheaper than what you'd get in, say, Rawl'kha and such. I got most of my Silks of the Sun gear at about half market value using it, for instance. Furthermore, if you're SELLING things, it's a good way to make sure that your stuff actually gets FOUND -- the guild I'm in that has a trader, Shades of Sithis, has ours in Balmora, which is out of the way and low-traffic... but making sure things get posted to TTC makes sure that my stuff DOES sell.

I try to scan at least one or two out-of-the-way obscure guild stores a day for this very reason -- those stores often have better deals, and I like helping out players who don't have the luck to be in one of the really big trading guilds.

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    So is it useful at all if you're not in ANY trade guilds? Crippling social anxiety keeps me from joining guilds. I'm only in the PA ones because it's PA...

I just want to know where to go to find the things I'm looking for, without having to run all over the freaking map manually checking every trader.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    So is it useful at all if you're not in ANY trade guilds? Crippling social anxiety keeps me from joining guilds. I'm only in the PA ones because it's PA...

I just want to know where to go to find the things I'm looking for, without having to run all over the freaking map manually checking every trader.

It's useful so long as people who are in trade guilds are updating it and with some other caveats.

The big thing is that it tracks postings but not whether something has sold so if you see something for a really good price there's a really good chance it won't be there anymore when you check the trader if the data is anything more than a few hours old.

Steam Profile
  • Options

Yes, it is. I'm not even in a "real" trade guild; Shades of Sithis is just old enough and big enough to afford a guild trader. They're not a "trade guild" by any stretch of the imagination. And the whole reason I got it in the first place is because I wanted to be able to do price comparison.

I would say @Steel Angel 's caveats don't even apply to you. It's useful if you want to get a decent idea of the prices of things so you know you're not getting ripped off in map chat, and useful for trying to find stuff.

• Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited July 2017

It helps to start out in the same alliance, but it is not required at all. There may be a few hiccups, like some missions sending you to locations in your own alliance. But the only example I can think of regarding the latter is the turn-in locations for crafting dailies, so that shouldn't interfere with you playing together.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    Dizzen wrote: »

It helps to start out in the same alliance, but it is not required at all. There may be a few hiccups, like some missions sending you to locations in your own alliance. But the only example I can think of regarding the latter is the turn-in locations for crafting dailies, so that shouldn't interfere with you playing together.

We ended up rolling Aldmeri together, so it worked out.

• Options

You have chosen wisely.

Long Live Queen Kate Beckinsale! <3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options

You have chosen wisely.

Long Live Queen Kate Beckinsale! <3

Not going to lie, that factored into my decision. Also, I really wanted to play a lion-khajiit dragonknight. I figure khajiit isn't the best fit for dragonknight, but I'm a lion, so I don't care.

• Options
    I pick races based on concepts in my head and they're rarely ever well-matched for the classes I pick for them. :lol:

I mean, right now I'm working on a breton stamina sorcerer. She'd have been better as almost any other race, but I <3 bretons, so whatever. I have an orc warden that's not ideal, either, but I loved the idea of a bear-riding orc with a bear companion just going full barbarian-ranger on the world.

I think barring certain endgame content and/or pvp, the game is pretty forgiving about this sort of thing.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    I think barring certain endgame content and/or pvp, the game is pretty forgiving about this sort of thing.

"Best fit" really is only for top of the line min-maxers who want to get to the top leaderboard slots for Time Trials. You can do 90% of the content just fine with a supposedly sub-optimal race.

As for PVP...? Having spent some time in Cyrodiil, unless you are trying to duel or hunt down individual players, you honestly don't need a super optimized build. I have literally lead zergs with my Nightblade, and she's current in armor that is so abysmally sub-optimal for PVP it's hysterical. But in that particular situation, me being some kind of combat god is way less important than me being able to communicate effectively with the Emperor (or main player in line for it) and other commanders on deck, and being able to get other players to listen to me when I go "k we're gonna go take Brindle bring siege" or whatever.

tl;dr Cyrodiil PVP is less about optimization and more about being able to herd cats. I discovered I'm not half bad at it because I spent all this time in WvW with @mojojoeo in GW2, and thus learned the art of "Hey everyone go over this way and stab that guy."

(Battlegrounds are another kettle of fish, and frankly at present way too unpolished for me to even consider)

• Options
    I pick races based on concepts in my head and they're rarely ever well-matched for the classes I pick for them. :lol:

I mean, right now I'm working on a breton stamina sorcerer. She'd have been better as almost any other race, but I <3 bretons, so whatever. I have an orc warden that's not ideal, either, but I loved the idea of a bear-riding orc with a bear companion just going full barbarian-ranger on the world.

Yeah, I'm a pretty casual MMO player. Endgame stuff and pvp isn't even on my radar right now.

• Options
    ElixirElixir Saving Your Ass Alchemists and Belts EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Predictably, we did NOT win the guild trader, and I am very annoyed about that glitch. I will try to remember to restore the 27k to the Guild Bank.

I figured as much. Ah well, thanks for letting me know. Maybe I'll give it a shot if I end up having more time to play!

ElixirSulfClipCropped1(s)1.jpg

• Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Elixir wrote: »

I'm playing on the PS4 though. I just managed to hit level 15. We should start our own guild, with blackjack, and hookers! Or at least we should pair up for the leveling bonuses and to crush the mind-numbing solitude.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    seabass wrote: »
    Elixir wrote: »

I'm playing on the PS4 though. I just managed to hit level 15. We should start our own guild, with blackjack, and hookers! Or at least we should pair up for the leveling bonuses and to crush the mind-numbing solitude.

If you guys start a guild, I will happily list it in the OP :)

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    I'll join a PS4 guild, if one happens. I suffer from severe alt-itis, though, so probably won't do the hardcore endgame thing.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    So I got my 5 free dwarven crates today from last week's event.

One of them gave me a sweet roll. Which had the option to be extracted for 400 gems.

So I have enough gems now to buy any damn thing I want from any loot crate I want.

This is paralyzing. :lol:

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    A while back, I obtained a housing item called a Crimson Shard of Moonshadow -- I *think* I pickpocketed it off a Telvanni? Or maybe it was from doing Ashlander dailies, I honestly don't recall.

In any case, it's a lighting decoration, and it's VERY EXPENSIVE in guild stores due to the rarity, but I couldn't get anyone to buy... so instead, I decided to use it, and realized that I could use it to get my scale model of Red Mountain to light up! Pix below.
    JpyrGS5.png

p5qgMPb.png

GJOD8JW.png

TAjHiTG.png

PLhX3kv.png

I think I might be able to combine it with a torch or other flame source to have it be ON FIRE in addition to glowing lurid red.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Okay, now you're a super villain.

Congratulations!

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Basil wrote: »
    Okay, now you're a super villain.

Congratulations!

Gracious, you say that like I wasn't already! I'm in House Hlaalu! We're Slytherin meets capitalism!

Admittedly, the miniature volcano DOES fit the #Aesthetic.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    It is like this. If your legions of terror don't have radical uniforms, and you don't have a fabulously sinister laugh, and your pet is not either a cat or a horrifying monstrosity named fluffy or some such, doing evil with them is nothing more than thuggery.

A well done evil lighting scheme in your Lair takes your plotting to the next level. Right there you went from a diorama-enthusiast-in-the-dark to a lunatic-up-to-no-good.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    It is like this. If your legions of terror don't have radical uniforms, and you don't have a fabulously sinister laugh, and your pet is not either a cat or a horrifying monstrosity named fluffy or some such, doing evil with them is nothing more than thuggery.

A well done evil lighting scheme in your Lair takes your plotting to the next level. Right there you went from a diorama-enthusiast-in-the-dark to a lunatic-up-to-no-good.

He needs to have that volcano diorama in the center of a throne room of some sort, with some sort of ornate sinister-looking throne. It'll help enhance his villanous monologuing as he plots the unavoidable, yet completely avoidable doom of his enemies.