As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Elder Scrolls Online] It's the 2nd Era, so is this Oblivion 2, or Oblivion -1?

• Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    I just started ESO on PS4, do you guys have a guild? Are there any good beginners guides? I don't really get how crafting and such work (at least in the starting area I'm in). Any help/info you could give me would be really appreciated!

You won't find crafting stations until you're in at least the areas past the starter zones. So we're talking about Vukhel Guard for AD, Davon Falls for EP, and Daggerfall for DC. Do harvest everything you can though and hold onto equipment to deconstruct it at a crafting station instead of vendoring it. You get far more crafting experience breaking down items than you do for crafting them. In fact, you should never grind equipment pieces for the sake of crafting exp and only ever craft stuff you intend to use, someone else intends to use, or for the daily crafting quests. Provisioning and Alchemy are the exceptions here as they have nothing to break down and actually do get significant progress from crafting items.

As for general tips try to figure out if you want to be a stamina based or magicka based character early. Weapon and spell damage scale off of stamina and magicka respectively so mixing the two on one character isn't recommended. While all class skills start out as magicka skills, after leveling them up a few times you'll get the option to morph them into more advanced skills, one of which is often a stamina variant. All the non-stave weapons are stamina weapons so if you like those that kind of sets you up.

So is there ever a reason why you level up your health opposed to stamina or magicka? I've been going stamina though I think my first upgraded skill I chose the magicka one because I liked the effect better (I'm doing the assassin tree of the nightblade). Where do you upgrade your bags and stuff? I got full pretty quick but I'll make sure not to sell any of my items if at all possible. Thanks for the tip

BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I just started ESO on PS4, do you guys have a guild? Are there any good beginners guides? I don't really get how crafting and such work (at least in the starting area I'm in). Any help/info you could give me would be really appreciated!

You won't find crafting stations until you're in at least the areas past the starter zones. So we're talking about Vukhel Guard for AD, Davon Falls for EP, and Daggerfall for DC. Do harvest everything you can though and hold onto equipment to deconstruct it at a crafting station instead of vendoring it. You get far more crafting experience breaking down items than you do for crafting them. In fact, you should never grind equipment pieces for the sake of crafting exp and only ever craft stuff you intend to use, someone else intends to use, or for the daily crafting quests. Provisioning and Alchemy are the exceptions here as they have nothing to break down and actually do get significant progress from crafting items.

As for general tips try to figure out if you want to be a stamina based or magicka based character early. Weapon and spell damage scale off of stamina and magicka respectively so mixing the two on one character isn't recommended. While all class skills start out as magicka skills, after leveling them up a few times you'll get the option to morph them into more advanced skills, one of which is often a stamina variant. All the non-stave weapons are stamina weapons so if you like those that kind of sets you up.

So is there ever a reason why you level up your health opposed to stamina or magicka? I've been going stamina though I think my first upgraded skill I chose the magicka one because I liked the effect better (I'm doing the assassin tree of the nightblade). Where do you upgrade your bags and stuff? I got full pretty quick but I'll make sure not to sell any of my items if at all possible. Thanks for the tip

Health can be upgraded if you need it. People tend to prefer to boost health via enchantments instead of base stats for some reason but there's no real reason to favor one over the other that I know of. Plus food buffs to health. Those are critical after a certain point.

Bags are upgraded at the pack merchants.

Also, be aware that at any time you can use a wayshrine to travel to another zone that does have a crafting station and bank. You should start out with the first wayshrine to Auridon, Glenumbra, and Stonefalls unlocked.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    You won't find crafting stations until you're in at least the areas past the starter zones.

There's crafting stations on all 3 starter/tutorial islands...

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    You won't find crafting stations until you're in at least the areas past the starter zones.

There's crafting stations on all 3 starter/tutorial islands...

I believe that, while they are there now, they weren't there for the longest time. (Or, at least, they were several hubs into the starter island storylines.)

edited August 2017
    They've been there since beta*. Believe me, I have played through the start dozens of times (at least). :lol:

I guess I can't speak for the Pact as I've only made 2 or 3 of those characters, but for AD and DC, there have definitely always been stations on Khenarthi's Roost and Stros M'Kai.

*Okay, maybe not in beta. I honestly don't remember much of the beta. But at least since shortly after release. :razz:

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    I need to actually log in and do something in this game. It's really a great game to run around in but I keep getting distracted with shiny things. I should at least be getting my daily stable upgrades.

edited September 2017
    I really want to play a warden because individually the skills look fun and the effects are neat. But I sure can't seem to wrap my head around how to build one. Like, every idea I come up with for a warden, I eventually come around to "yeah but this other class does that better." It's like there's no cohesion to the class. They just had a bunch of random animal/plant skills and some frost skills and threw them together willy-nilly.

What am I missing about this class? What kind of builds are people running with it?

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Yoooooooo they're putting in a system for changing the traits on your armor and weapons! Yes, including armor & weapons you get from dungeons, trials, etc.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
    Yeah but you can't change the appearance, which sort of misses the whole point of a transmutation system. /headdesk

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    Yeah but you can't change the appearance, which sort of misses the whole point of a transmutation system. /headdesk

Different systems. They have a separate one for cosmetic style planned but this is another bit thing people have wanted. You haven't had to deal with the hell that is trying to get a monster set shoulder piece from an undaunted reward chest yet, something you're limited to a few times a day. Where you need to get the right set to drop in the right weight. That alone is a 1 in 36 chance for most of the sets but when you added in the traits it became a 1 in 288 chance of getting it in the right set, right weight, and desired trait and you're limited to only a few rolls of this per day since they're tied to daily quests for dungeons.

There's also people that spent months getting a weapon of the right type and right set to drop in the desired trait only to have said trait become lackluster with the last big update's reworking of many traits.

This is huge and way overdue. A big part of why I stopped really playing ESO was due to how much of a pain redoing gear was for anything not crafted. It doesn't solve the other issues I have with having exhausted a lot of the content I have time for, but it's still a big deal.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    edited September 2017
    Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
    Yes, yes, but cosmetic stuff is way more important. ;)

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ... so you guys may recall a while back that some guy made a mod for Skyrim that turned all the dragons into Thomas the Tank Engine characters. https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/48593/

Turns out he plays ESO, and he's putting trains into his housing. Because his name is TrainWiz and apparently this is what he does.
    5exxpkd6vykz.png

More images here

Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/6z5v0i/i_made_another_train_in_my_house/

• DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    ... so you guys may recall a while back that some guy made a mod for Skyrim that turned all the dragons into Thomas the Tank Engine characters. https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/48593/

Turns out he plays ESO, and he's putting trains into his housing. Because his name is TrainWiz and apparently this is what he does.
    5exxpkd6vykz.png

More images here

Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/6z5v0i/i_made_another_train_in_my_house/

Trainwiz is a treasure. It was great to hear that Sotha Sil Expanded content was referenced in ESO: Morrowind (though I can't confirm, still haven't explored as much of the expansion as I'd like).

Woo! Opened my 3 free ones, and I scored the one thing I wanted most from the new Crown crates! :D

... which still leaves me a crapload of gems to find a use for.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Woo! Opened my 3 free ones, and I scored the one thing I wanted most from the new Crown crates! :D

... which still leaves me a crapload of gems to find a use for.

Personally, I bought the glowy senche cub with my excess gems (mostly because I needs all the cats!).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    So this game + a month of prime access or whatever they call it is part of the humble monthly this month.

Other than playing the beta for about 10 minutes I haven't paid much attention to the game, just absorbing information about it apparently being kind of good since the unlimited tamriel stuff.

Not asking for a detailed breakdown on how it plays, I'm just wondering if I would enjoy it as someone who basically just plays mmos on my own with the occasional public quest. No interest in raiding or anything like that. I soloed through most of the class stories in TOR, for example, and did similar in The Secret World for a while.

Also how good is the "getting a big sword and hitting people with it" gameplay?

Aistan wrote: »
    So this game + a month of prime access or whatever they call it is part of the humble monthly this month.

Other than playing the beta for about 10 minutes I haven't paid much attention to the game, just absorbing information about it apparently being kind of good since the unlimited tamriel stuff.

Not asking for a detailed breakdown on how it plays, I'm just wondering if I would enjoy it as someone who basically just plays mmos on my own with the occasional public quest. No interest in raiding or anything like that. I soloed through most of the class stories in TOR, for example, and did similar in The Secret World for a while.

Also how good is the "getting a big sword and hitting people with it" gameplay?

You play MMOs the exact same way I do. ESO is my favorite MMO (and I've played a bunch of them). So, there's that. :)

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • quietjayquietjay Indianapolis, INRegistered User regular
    There is a lot of solo content. There is the main story line, each faction has a story line (thanks to one tamriel you can do any faction's quests at any time, not just your own), each zone has a story line, then there are side quests in each quest hub in each zone.

Become a Star Citizen
    Well those are pretty good endorsements I think. One even comes with the implicit suggestion that the dressup opportunities available are of a high quality.

I'll probably pick it up. Not going to play as a dang-old Dominionist though.

Not going to play as a dang-old Dominionist though.

I understand your reluctance here but... Kate Beckinsale.

<3

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    Well those are pretty good endorsements I think. One even comes with the implicit suggestion that the dressup opportunities available are of a high quality.

I'll probably pick it up. Not going to play as a dang-old Dominionist though.

FOR THE PACT

• squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    So, I decided to update and get back into playing this a bit on the PS4 last night only to find that my account has received a Permanent Ban? I went to the ESO website and filled out their form as best I could from memory from the last time I had played (probably a year, give or take). Is there anything else I can do? Or anything that might expedite the process? I browsed around their forums and judging from people with a similar problem...it doesn't look great.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • NoizlanifNoizlanif MMO-Whore Registered User regular
    Is there an active PC guild out there that is PA based? I'm lvl 30 and kind of enjoying this, thinking of subbing soon, and looking for people to play with.

edited October 2017
    Geez, Jennifer Hale is like six inches taller than I am, a max height Nord. Titanborn indeed.

E: Aaaaand she's trapped forever in another dimension. Good use of good talent, there.

Aistan on
  • SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Started playing last week, I tried to solo a spider filled group dungeon for the fighters guild/dauntless.. that went poorly for my squishy Breton sorcerer.
    Wish I'd paid a bit more attention to the Halloween stuff.. the 100% XP boost would have been handy to get before yesterday.
    Any recommendations for easy bosses to get the Halloween loot drops from? I've been hanging out by anchor locations and in the solo dungeon right outside daggerfall.

SutibunRi wrote: »
    Started playing last week, I tried to solo a spider filled group dungeon for the fighters guild/dauntless.. that went poorly for my squishy Breton sorcerer.
    Wish I'd paid a bit more attention to the Halloween stuff.. the 100% XP boost would have been handy to get before yesterday.
    Any recommendations for easy bosses to get the Halloween loot drops from? I've been hanging out by anchor locations and in the solo dungeon right outside daggerfall.

Any delve boss really. They're all easy to solo when you have you head around how to play and delves have skyshards that you need for skill points. Note that I specifically mentioned delves and not dungeons. Public Dungeon bosses are also generally pretty easy to solo when you're experienced but that will be a while yet.

If you have some of the DLC/expansion content, a few have daily quests that take you to delves and are worth doing in conjunction with the event. Specifically Morrowind, Orsinium, and Dark Brotherhood have dailies that send you to a delve in their respective zones.

I imagine the Clockwork City dlc that recently came out does as well but you probably do not have that.

Steam Profile
    edited October 2017
    I just need 17 more plunder skulls.. which is quite a bit better than the 61 I needed yesterday.

Does the witches whistle stop working after today? I quite liked the XP boost and skeleton costume.

Edit: I have none of the DLC. But the Humble bundle version comes with 15 days of Plus which I am hesitant to activate while still at a low level.
    That material bag is the most tempting part for activating Plus right away.. I have so many materials.

SutibunRi on
    SutibunRi wrote: »
    I just need 17 more plunder skulls.. which is quite a bit better than the 61 I needed yesterday.

Does the witches whistle stop working after today? I quite liked the XP boost and skeleton costume.

Edit: I have none of the DLC. But the Humble bundle version comes with 15 days of Plus which I am hesitant to activate while still at a low level.
    That material bag is the most tempting part for activating Plus right away.. I have so many materials.

Once your 15 days is up, you'll lose the bag unless you sub. Anything you put into it you'll still be able to withdraw but you won't be able to add anything new.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    So has anyone tried out the new DLC? I haven't seen a lot of talk about it since it was released.

Steam Profile
    So has anyone tried out the new DLC? I haven't seen a lot of talk about it since it was released.

I fell down the GW2 DLC unfortunately. With that said, from what I've seen of it, it's SUPER AWESOME if you're an intense lore nerd, and... not that great if you aren't.

• GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
    I stopped playing for the Halloween event (not that I have been playing a lot before it...). I just dislike everything in Halloween. Not for me, at all.

We don't have that tradition in my country and I utterly detest everything with zombies and horror stuff. So it is a double no-no for me.

But I got the Covenant Fisher done at last, happy for that. Now I'm going to start one of the other regions, maybe I start with the Nords...

I fell down the GW2 DLC unfortunately. With that said, from what I've seen of it, it's SUPER AWESOME if you're an intense lore nerd, and... not that great if you aren't.

Kind of what I'm afraid of. I don't have time for raiding so the new trial isn't of much interest to me and while I enjoy the setting's lore a great deal, that's an awful lot of money/crowns to pay for that. The DB and TG dlcs both added some really different ways to play the game that I've really enjoyed. Another DLC that is just more of the same type of game as the base doesn't hold as much appeal.

Steam Profile

Kind of what I'm afraid of. I don't have time for raiding so the new trial isn't of much interest to me and while I enjoy the setting's lore a great deal, that's an awful lot of money/crowns to pay for that. The DB and TG dlcs both added some really different ways to play the game that I've really enjoyed. Another DLC that is just more of the same type of game as the base doesn't hold as much appeal.

Basically the main appeal is that the ... Transmutation system? I think it's called? The thing that lets you swap weapon and armor traits (unfortunately, not appearance yet x_X ) is locked behind that DLC, which is the other reason I'm kinda taking a break. It'd be *nice* to finally set my BSW and Grothdarr to traits that aren't terrible, but... money.

If you have gear you really want to transmute, what might be worth it is to just drop the $15 to sub for one month, then go on a mass transmute spree (and yes, Clockwork City is included in the sub fee)

Basically the main appeal is that the ... Transmutation system? I think it's called? The thing that lets you swap weapon and armor traits (unfortunately, not appearance yet x_X ) is locked behind that DLC, which is the other reason I'm kinda taking a break. It'd be *nice* to finally set my BSW and Grothdarr to traits that aren't terrible, but... money.

If you have gear you really want to transmute, what might be worth it is to just drop the $15 to sub for one month, then go on a mass transmute spree (and yes, Clockwork City is included in the sub fee)

I had been taking a different approach and finally doing a lot of master writs I'd been sitting on to get the home transmute station but then the cost of it was revealed on the PTS and, uh, damn, that's a lot of writs.

Steam Profile

I had been taking a different approach and finally doing a lot of master writs I'd been sitting on to get the home transmute station but then the cost of it was revealed on the PTS and, uh, damn, that's a lot of writs.

Haha yeah I hope you're okay with doing writs for like, the next 30,000 years or something pal

Haha yeah I hope you're okay with doing writs for like, the next 30,000 years or something pal

I haven't bothered doing crafting dailies for a long time since I wasn't gathering much materials while basically just doing a few dailies that can reward motif chapters but I thought I was doing pretty well with about 350 vouchers when the transmute system was announced.

Nope.

Steam Profile
    When I was at 99 of the 100 plunder skulls required, I mentioned it in conversation with the random folk I was farming kills with, immediately one guy ran over, invited me to trade, and just gave me the hollowjack spectre mask runebox and warped away without ever saying a word.
    I have no idea if he'd seen me run over and give a different person a Potent Brew recipe that they'd mentioned needing a bit earlier, or if he noticed I was the only one not wearing a halloween mask or if he had some other motivation. But it was awesome.

Is anyone missing any motifs or recipes from the event? I have a bunch of copies of a few of them.

• JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    I saw something about an event that gives cosmetics from using the dungeon finder? Is that active yet?

Jutranjo wrote: »
    I saw something about an event that gives cosmetics from using the dungeon finder? Is that active yet?

Uh, you mean the halloween event where among other things dungeon bosses can drop plunder skulls that contain masks? That just ended.

Steam Profile