As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The 2016 Conditional Post-Election Thread

JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp.I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
I'm going to put this here, and we'll see how it goes.

If this thread gets terminally stupid, we may take a brief and deserved holiday from politics in D&D for a bit.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Trump's coming on stage now

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Is that the west wing music?!

Please tell me I'm mistaken and that isn't the west wing theme

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I don't want to be afraid of other people. I want to believe that the majority of people are basically good, and that even though they may sometimes make mistakes, they do so out of good faith, and that they'll eventually learn from them and do better in the the future. I don't want to ever write someone off as worthless, and believe that the world has no place for them. I want to believe that the primary thing wrong with the world is fear itself, and that by refusing to fear others I'm helping to make the world a better place.

I'm afraid now. And I'm worried that in being so, I've achieved some sort of horrifying kinship with what I despise.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    how

White people, being scared, blaming it on Browns and Gays.

I'm a gay

I have to leave. I can't stay here.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Holy fuck.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i just can't believe that even the people who pay millions of dollars for polling missed this. i'm sure the clinton campaign didn't see this and god knows how much they paid. and clearly the trump campaign didn't either. it's just baffling. how does this happen.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    I am terrified. I cannot watch this fascist accept his crown. It's going to be all bragging, lashing out at his enemies, and promising vengeance. This is the darkest timeline. We ruined everything.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    how

White people, being scared, blaming it on Browns and Gays.

I'm a gay

I have to leave. I can't stay here.

I'm gay and my boyfriend is brown AND gay.

I don't want to lose him.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    I swear the smug is rolling off Trump in waves even if he's not saying horrible things. Yet.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    I have never been so heartbroken.

I'm trying to sleep but that's not going to happen.

God help us all. I hope there is something like sanity that can be preserved.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Trump's being oddly civil.

Is he coming down? He's being coherent. What the hell is this Trump?

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I am completely unable to sleep.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I think this is the harbinger of a realignment of powers. Speaking realpolitik here. It's not just that the wealth of the US is gonna go down, it's the whole world that will collapse and reorganize itself. Consider the GDP of the US compared to the rest of the world. When that consumption slows or crashes, everybody is going to go down. It's gonna suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

And then someone else is gonna take the lead.

The problem is that only the US has the ability to project power to keep things stable. Which means if Trump follows through on his plans to withdraw from treaty obligations, or appears he will consider that, nations with the economic power and technical know how to develop nuclear weapons will. And they'll be completely rational to do so. South Korea first, I would imagine.

An unstable earth right now is seriously bad for humanity.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    i just can't believe that even the people who pay millions of dollars for polling missed this. i'm sure the clinton campaign didn't see this and god knows how much they paid. and clearly the trump campaign didn't either. it's just baffling. how does this happen.
    monkey's paw

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Yesterday, I thought David Fahrenthold was assured a Pulitzer. Today, I'm worried he's going to wind up in prison.

Jesus, America. You're supposed to be better than this.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Who's the bored kid standing next to Trump in his speech?

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Yesterday, I thought David Fahrenthold was assured a Pulitzer. Today, I'm worried he's going to wind up in prison.

We aren't.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    I wholeheartedly reject the idea that Democrats didn't reach out to white people enough.

We offered them health care and improved infrastructure and access to education. Many rejected that in favor of the chance to kick around brown people. What could we have offered them instead when they apparently really, really wanted to kick around brown people?

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    WHO GAVE BIFF THE ALMANAC.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I seriously can't believe that this shit is happening.

Only hope left is that there exists some vestigal shred of morality in elected republicans and they don't let trump do truly insane shit like backing out of NATO or nuking Guam.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    You have to pretend to be gracious on election night, even he gets that.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Who the fuck wrote this speech

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    Apparently there's a campaign for California (my state) to exit the Union

http://www.yescalifornia.org/

I wouldn't have seriously considered it before

But now

Now I don't know

• Options
    Gaddez wrote: »
    I seriously can't believe that this shit is happening.

Only hope left is that there exists some vestigal shred of morality in elected republicans and they don't let trump do truly insane shit like backing out of NATO or nuking Guam.

That is the terrifying part. For the second one, he doesn't need *anyone's* permission.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Duffel wrote: »

We aren't.

Yeah if there's anything this election has taught me it's that the America I thought we were doesn't exist.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Is that the west wing music?!

Please tell me I'm mistaken and that isn't the west wing theme

This is now the most important question of the night for me. I need to know if this is a thing that happened.

Wait wait wait. Guys. I just got up here in Europe. I just checked the last page of comments. Did trump WIN?

How in the FUCK? How?

I mean this is how elections work. The time to freak out was when he was nominated, because once he was on the ballot in all 50 states his odds of winning were always better than decent. He was always going to carry a huge number of electoral votes...and north of 40% of the popular vote, or real, breathing voters...simply by being on there with one of the two major parties next to his name.

The jump from there to winning was never as large as we wanted to pretend it was.

• Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Who the fuck wrote this speech
    Nobody, probably?

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    You have to pretend to be gracious on election night, even he gets that.

Yeah, but he's still Trump.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    I think this is the harbinger of a realignment of powers. Speaking realpolitik here. It's not just that the wealth of the US is gonna go down, it's the whole world that will collapse and reorganize itself. Consider the GDP of the US compared to the rest of the world. When that consumption slows or crashes, everybody is going to go down. It's gonna suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

And then someone else is gonna take the lead.

The problem is that only the US has the ability to project power to keep things stable. Which means if Trump follows through on his plans to withdraw from treaty obligations, or appears he will consider that, nations with the economic power and technical know how to develop nuclear weapons will. And they'll be completely rational to do so. South Korea first, I would imagine.

An unstable earth right now is seriously bad for humanity.

I think it's more likely that more nations are going to start turning to China for protection and succor.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    I wholeheartedly reject the idea that Democrats didn't reach out to white people enough.

We offered them health care and improved infrastructure and access to education. Many rejected that in favor of the chance to kick around brown people. What could we have offered them instead when they apparently really, really wanted to kick around brown people?

The last thread got closed before I could reply, but the premise of "you can help white folk while helping minorities" is derailed when the white folk you are helping resent you for helping the minorities at the same time.

• Options
    emp123 wrote: »
    Duffel wrote: »

We aren't.

Yeah if there's anything this election has taught me it's that the America I thought we were doesn't exist.

American Exceptionalism really meant white power

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    So this is what dumbfounded feels like.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I have a hard time believing this was about racism or sexism.

People worry about their wallet first and foremost.

Right or wrong, people must've thought Trump would be better for jobs and the economy.

RT800 on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Obama's legacy is gone.

The ACA, gay marriage, financial regulations, antidiscrimination regulations, improved relations with the ME, it's all gone.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Oh boy. Do the people that actually trusted the media's skewed polls have some news to wake up to.

zew4059vcyu4.jpg

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    RT800 wrote: »
    I have a hard time believing this was about racism or sexism.

People worry about their wallet first and foremost.

Right or wrong, people must've thought Trump would be better for jobs and the economy.
    And racism is why they came to that fucking stupid conclusion.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Voter suppression and Comey's fuckup definitely contributed to this unmitigated disaster of a result, but more than anything I think the media is going to bear the brunt of my hatred for carrying Trump's bullshit for him

They played chicken with the country and by the time anyone realized what they had done it was too late to move us out of the way of the train

Well congratulations dipshits! I hear President-Elect Trump (oh god that makes me want to vomit) has a plan to make sure your precious estate only says what he says is okay

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular

I'm legitimately worried that being openly publicly political on FB and Twitter is going to fuck me down the road. Especially with the direct mocking of Trump I did. Regret for it isn't the right word, I regret nothing, but it is causing me to seriously consider leaving before the purges start. Because if I wait to see if that happens at all I might be too late.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    So hi there from Australia where I feel numb.

The best case scenario here will be Trump burns all his bridges in Congress, popular opinion dives and he gets impeached on the basis of his numerous lies and probably outright fraud over the years.

The worst case as I see it is WW3 in Europe when he decides to not respond as Russia experimentally renews annexing border states until it rolls into a NATO member. Or Kim Nung Um insults him and he orders a preemptive nuclear strike on Pyongyang. Or just bombing that results in Seoul being levelled.

I mean this is great - pick any part of the world and there's literally nowhere he can't make things unutterably worse via strongman stupidity.

This discussion has been closed.