As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Post US Presidential Election 2016 Thread

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I think it's definitely fair to say that the DNC should see some regime change. There's a case to be made that they did more harm than good

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Okay, so, real talk...what the fuck happened? All the way up to last night it was "record early voting" and "Clinton has a strong ground game" and "massive GOTV initiatives" and then...lowest turnout since 2000?

This is a big part of what's confusing to me too.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    At least that graph shows how beatable he'll be in 2020. A tiny respite.

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    I really hope people in the media who latched on to ever non-scandal dug up by the republicans on Clinton learn something from this.

Especially after Trumps ego starts hitting them hard.

No I don't.
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    Going to a cabin in the mountains now for 3 nights with no internet or TV. Really wish I could just stay there forever.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Tube wrote: »
    you can't spell far right without fart guys

writing a letter to the daily show

put me in coach, I'm ready

I don't know where you're getting the u and y and s from

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Okay, so, real talk...what the fuck happened? All the way up to last night it was "record early voting" and "Clinton has a strong ground game" and "massive GOTV initiatives" and then...lowest turnout since 2000?

those early voters were probably jazzed about Trump

Okay, fair, but...Republican turnout wasn't great either!

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Where'd Cory Booker go

he's young and charismatic and I think he'd probably be able to beat trump but he's not the guy I'd want in the white house; his ties to the finance industry are even more questionable than Hillary's were

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Shrieking Ball Of White-Hot Rage For Democratic nominee 2020

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    hmmmmm

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Melania Trump looks horrified in all the footage I've seen. There's this ghastly smile and eyes screaming "I can't believe you elected this fucking maniac"

I have a theory that she was planning on filing for divorce today, and is now stuck with him for four more years at least.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular

those early voters were probably jazzed about Trump

Okay, fair, but...Republican turnout wasn't great either!

based on that chart on the previous page, it was about average

lower than previous years but not by much

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I don't think it's that simple. I do think
    Today was the senior class picture at school. I went up onto the roof with the journalism teacher and custodian and the kids all formed a big 17 down below. They took a couple normal photos then the journalism teacher said they would take a "funny"one.

She counts down from three and then without any prompting the entire class of 2017 shouted "FUCK TRUMP"

Brightened my day a bit.

The kids are alright

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    That Mr. Rogers fellow is right. We need to talk with the racist friends and family we know. They're not going away, they're not dying out

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

it seems like the Clinton campaign spent too much time and effort in Florida and Ohio, states that weren't on their path to victory, while not spending enough effort making sure people put ballots in boxes in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania

• Options
    I think it's definitely fair to say that the DNC should see some regime change. There's a case to be made that they did more harm than good

the DNC was banking on a trump nomination under the impression that he was a weak candidate

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    Fuck me the more I think about it that graph is a damning indictment of the dems

Trump didn't win, Hillary lost

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Shrieking Ball Of White-Hot Rage For Democratic nominee 2020
    i accept

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    nate silver voted for johnson

is this a real thing

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

it seems like the Clinton campaign spent too much time and effort in Florida and Ohio, states that weren't on their path to victory, while not spending enough effort making sure people put ballots in boxes in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania

I've heard that Clinton spent too much effort in states that Trump needed to win and not enough in states that she needed to win, and this post does verify that to some extent.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    The only Johnson I'm confident in is this one *grabs crotch* ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    The single most unqualified person has won the presidency. Anyone won days this is Scott policy is full of shit. This was won with demagoguery and showmanship.

I keep thinking back to a video about the philosophy on the house of cards and that politics has no substance. Man that feels apt right now.

What hurts even more is that this is just another feathery in the glass ceiling cap. You can be the single most qualified person for a position, but if you're a woman you'll still lost to a man.

I should probably find food. I haven't eaten in over 24 hours.

• Options

I have a feeling the Benefit Of Hindsight analysis will also show that she wasted effort trying to hit red states that were never going to change. But hey! We were all pretty excited about blue Texas

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

is this a real thing

I certainly believe it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Oghulk wrote: »
    The single most unqualified person has won the presidency. Anyone won days this is Scott policy is full of shit. This was won with demagoguery and showmanship.

I keep thinking back to a video about the philosophy on the house of cards and that politics has no substance. Man that feels apt right now.

What hurts even more is that this is just another feathery in the glass ceiling cap. You can be the single most qualified person for a position, but if you're a woman you'll still lost to a man.

my brain broke yesterday because I couldn't understand how someone so obviously incompetent can get so far

• Options

is this a real thing

actually i'm not sure, i'll edit that out

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Also, it's going to be considerably more difficult to get people motivated for an election, when the goddamn thing starts almost two full years before the first ballot is cast.

I was burned out by January.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Ladai wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Third parties largely didn't spoil any states in this election, unless you assume that literally every vote that went to Johnson would have swung to Clinton.

I know it's incredibly appealing to look for people to blame in this situation, but this all falls on the people who voted for Trump.

And fuck if I know what to do about them.

This is 100 percent true, and I really have to keep repeating this to myself.

I have friends who were Stein supporters, who spent literally the entire election doing nothing but shitting on Clinton.

And today all of them have turned around and are all like "We need to stop Trump!"

And I'm really trying to restrain myself from just blowing up on them with something along the lines of "WELCOME TO THE FUCKING PARTY, PAL!"

I think this is important: Anybody who is now saying "we need to stop Trump!", accept their aid. Act in good faith that they want to help, and resist the urge to complain about who they voted for. Intra-Left hostility doesn't help.

Now if later they get iffy later about why the (D) candidate is bad and maybe we should look at other- that's when you remind them. But not a moment before.

• Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »

my brain broke yesterday because I couldn't understand how someone so obviously incompetent can get so far
    he was born rich

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Some of you already know this through painful experience, but the world isn't fair. Those who espouse hate aren't always ones who lose. Many times progress will be set back, removed, or corrupted by bad actors. Not everyone gets to be at the top, and those who do are often very flawed people. There will always be those with less, and they will always be the most oppressed. There will always be fear and worry, and compounded on that will be old fears and worries we thought were long gone.
    But time marches on, and we gradually claw our way forwards even though we may not be the ones who live long enough to see the kinds of change we so desperately need. It is not the fate of the righteous to live without worry or fear, change always comes with fear and there is never an end to the improvements that we can make to society and ourselves. But out of our fear we find Hope. Hope that if the better tomorrow will not be ours, but that by our actions we will force that better tomorrow further into existence against all the troubles that fight against change so that others will not have to face those same troubles.

It is what we do with that knowledge that defines who we are.
    Do you lay down and stop, and let the world move on?
    Do you turn and accept the more comfortable path, accept the hate for your own gain, and corrupt yourself for your own gain at the expense of others?
    Or do you keep fighting, constantly, inexorably, to make that better day a reality even if you may not be the one to see it?

I know for many of you this isn't a question, because your lives are forced into this struggle against your will, by your very existence, and that you are forced to be the good or be consumed by the problems around us. It's the job of all the great and the good to support each other in any way that we can, and to pick up those who have given up off the dusty road of progress, brush them off, and push them forward.

Yesterday was a great fall on the path of progress, the road has wound back on itself, and ahead of us the way forward is clouded and unknowable. We must move forward each day, one step at a time. We must look out for one another. We must not give in to the temptation to falter, or to not help those who have. We must move on.

In the meantime here are some places to start looking for help with
    Federal Qualified Health Centers are required to accept all patients and offer a sliding payment scale, they are wide spread but that may also meant that there isn't one near you.

Check with your state or local government to see if they offer any medical assistance programs or if there are any free or reduced cost clinics and pharmacies near you.

There are many charities that offer housing and rental assistance, look to see if there are any in your local area, and keep a list of them if you think you will need it.

If you don't feel safe after this election, look for shelters and assistance now.

For those of us who are less immediately threatened by this
    The 2016 Project for Awesome is starting in December. If you have the ability to, make a video for your choice of charity and get their message out there. Even if your charity isn't chosen, thousands of people will have seen it and you can do measurable amounts of good.

Keep an eye out for those here and nearby who may need help. There may be many people who will now need help with basic medical bills. Keep the signature lines visible while browsing and keep an open eye in case there's someone here who you may be able to help. They can't ask directly, so it may be easy to miss someone who you can help.

Keep pushing forwards, never leave someone behind, always stand up for yourself and for others.

• Options
    Honestly even if there was no more voter suppression than the fucking four hour long lines, that's enough. I don't really blame anyone for not being willing or able to do that.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Nate silver voting for Johnson

Well. Ok. Can't call him biased for Clinton that's for sure

• Options
    QuirkyLittleTyrantQuirkyLittleTyrant A Mug Featuring Pichu On A Cloud Registered User regular
    So here's what I think happened. Spoilered because I am largely an idiot and I'm sure people are tired of reading "what went wrong" already.
    30+ years of systematically destroying organized labor left a lot of poor, white and unemployed dudes with no recourse and feeling absolutely hopeless, and they're a big voting block. They latched onto horrible, angry feelings expressed in racism, misogyny, and hatred. They latched onto a candidate who spoke like they spoke and thought what they thought and promised to bring down everyone who had ever hurt them. I'd argue a good portion of the Trumpers were these people who thought they nothing left but a government that didn't listen to them, hated everything, and wanted to fuck everyone - everyone - over so they could "regain" that top place they were promised by virtue of being born white and dudes.

Add in a general tiredness of the people who didn't want a demagoguery, shitty engagement with minorities this time around, voter suppression and a strong belief that all Hillary had was "she wasn't Trump."

The Democrats told this poor, white and uneducated block everything was fine, and they wanted nothing to do with that at all. The party needs to find out how to give these people a voice without tapping into these horrible, easy urges of xenophobia and racism and awful shit, how to step up their platform in a way that engages minorities and ignites the needed passion to really get out the vote.

PSN ID: Khrysocome
    Steam: ZappRowsdower
  • Options
    Honestly even if there was no more voter suppression than the fucking four hour long lines, that's enough. I don't really blame anyone for not being willing or able to do that.

Especially after an 18-month long election season as well. Talk about fatigue.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »

he was born rich

if I may paraphrase the poet c. bennington,

"he tried not hard, but got so far

in the end, it doesn't even matter"

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    I think the insanely long election season helped Trump. It's easier to stay angry that long than it is to stay inspired. It also looks like if you'd move it forward even two weeks she might have clinched it.

• Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Hey so someone spray painted swastikas and Trump's name all over the windows of a local business here in South Philly last night/this morning.

Great.

Link: http://www.phillymag.com/news/2016/11/09/nazi-trump-graffiti-south-philadelphia/

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I got about 2 hours of sleep last night and the whole time it was like something was sitting on my chest. I am exhausted. Mentally and physically and emotionally.

It's like I'm suddenly in a foreign land or something. Suspecting the majority of the people around me right now are... that is unsettling. So I'm giving myself until my next weekday off and then I'm going down to the county Democratic headquarters and I'm registering so, god forbid I'm still here come 2018, I'm gonna sock it to em as hard as I can.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    DrDinosaur wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Like, people want to find something they can grab onto and go "If this one thing had gone differently, we might have won" so they have something specific to blame.

But the reality of the situation is that the only way this was different was if fewer people voted for Trump.

Or if more people turned out to vote

this year had six million fewer folks turn out than 2012

it was a failure of organization on the part of the democratic party and a success of obstruction for the GOP

Holy shit

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.