As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Post US Presidential Election 2016 Thread

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »

Yeah, that random statistic posted completely out of context sure has me convinced.

5% loss vote, most of which is Latino along the Texas-Mexico border, while campaigning against the nominee that wants to build a wall on Mexico and who called Mexicans rapists, etc.

there's the implication here that she didn't try to reach the minority vote much, and that hurt her

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    let's not pretend that story would have affected trump's numbers in any way

I don't think that's a statement you can make about a race that was this close

what indication is there that a single one of trump's supporters would care about him exploiting the system

that's a badge of honor for him

1) trump had fewer votes than Romney. this ongoing narrative that the republican base is an unassailable rock of democratic wherewithal is not based in reality.

2) you should consider it from the other side--that it may have reminded/convinced enough democratic voters to turn out who otherwise would have stayed home

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    why would democrat voters be concerned about beating a guy who was fed debate questions and then lost all 3 debates by a landslide

from the democrat side that story makes trump look like an even bigger incompetent buffoon who will never win, because the debates made him look like a complete non-threat

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    why would democrat voters be concerned about beating a guy who was fed debate questions and then lost all 3 debates by a landslide

from the democrat side that story makes trump look like an even bigger incompetent buffoon who will never win, because the debates made him look like a complete non-threat

it also makes him a big hypocrite and people hate that

• Options
    i don't know how much of the democrat base hates hypocrites more than sexists, racists, and bigots

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    i don't know how much of the democrat base hates hypocrites more than sexists, racists, and bigots

so, like I said, I don't think you're equipped to make such a definitive statement about a race that was this close

• Options
    sorry i'll make sure to go get my diploma in political science before i post in the thread again

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    and it better be a Ph.D! a master's isn't going to cut it here.

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular

Yeah, that random statistic posted completely out of context sure has me convinced.

5% loss vote, most of which is Latino along the Texas-Mexico border, while campaigning against the nominee that wants to build a wall on Mexico and who called Mexicans rapists, etc.

there's the implication here that she didn't try to reach the minority vote much, and that hurt her

Oh, her campaign definitely made mistakes, I won't deny that.

Though I think it's a bit of a leap from there to accusing the Clinton campaign of being outright bad at their jobs.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    let's not pretend that story would have affected trump's numbers in any way

I don't think that's a statement you can make about a race that was this close

what indication is there that a single one of trump's supporters would care about him exploiting the system

that's a badge of honor for him

1) trump had fewer votes than Romney. this ongoing narrative that the republican base is an unassailable rock of democratic wherewithal is not based in reality.

2) you should consider it from the other side--that it may have reminded/convinced enough democratic voters to turn out who otherwise would have stayed home
    1) The votes haven't been fully counted yet. And Trump's loss in votes is far less than Clinton's. I think it proves that the republican base is a (near) unassailable rock.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    He thinks rape is A-OK. In 1972, when he was 31, Sanders wrote a fictitious essay in which he described a woman enjoying being raped by three men. Yes, there is an explanation for it—a long, complicated one, just like the one that would make clear why the Clinton emails story was nonsense. And we all know how well that worked out.

I really want this better explained

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    I think "She ran a bad campaign" is kind of coming at it backwards

She ran a great campaign by the standards of what campaigns have been to this point

That wasn't enough, and that does not bode well

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular

Though I think it's a bit of a leap from there to accusing the Clinton campaign of being outright bad at their jobs.

They were very good at running a typical standard political campaign. It's too bad that hasn't been what wins since Obama rode a wave of progressive populism to the White House in 2008. They're good at the wrong things.

It's not like they were bad enough to lose either, they just didn't win by a large enough margin to win the Electoral College.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    He thinks rape is A-OK. In 1972, when he was 31, Sanders wrote a fictitious essay in which he described a woman enjoying being raped by three men. Yes, there is an explanation for it—a long, complicated one, just like the one that would make clear why the Clinton emails story was nonsense. And we all know how well that worked out.

gender roles are bad

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options

I mean this is just adding evidence to the claim. I'm not jumping from the statistic to the claim, I'm adding it to a growing pile of evidence that she ran a bad campaign.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    wirehead26 wrote: »

I saw this come up in the primaries. It's not really a complicated explanation.

It was a deeply sarcastic and satirical essay criticizing rape culture. So basically he wrote an episode of South Park in 1972. Actually he disavowed that sort of satire years later so he grew more enlightened than the people who make South Park before there was a South Park to be made.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options

She ran a great campaign by the standards of what campaigns have been to this point

I don't think that's true at all. She was campaigning in Arizona, was spending money on ad-buys there and Texas and was in North Carolina the weekend before the election. When was she in Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota, or hell even Pennsylvania? She wasn't in her actual firewall much and I'd say that probably cost her the election.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular

I don't think that's true at all. She was campaigning in Arizona, was spending money on ad-buys there and Texas and was in North Carolina the weekend before the election. When was she in Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota, or hell even Pennsylvania? She wasn't in her actual firewall much and I'd say that probably cost her the election.

Was it a school project or something?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »

I'm glad people are doing this. Its crucial people know everything that is going on right now, facts without spin, even if they are harsh.

And before this thread closes, just have to reiterate: fuck 2016 and fuck Trump.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    Got off work, walked right outside into the Seattle protest.

Gotta say I was not expecting a Monday protest.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Student protest ongoing in Seattle.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Rehab wrote: »

I'm glad people are doing this. Its crucial people know everything that is going on right now, facts without spin, even if they are harsh.

And before this thread closes, just have to reiterate: fuck 2016 and fuck Trump.

It means nothing until the media starts calling him a Nazi and white nationalist. Right now they're calling him "controversial" and holy shit fuck you he's a godamn Nazi not "controversial" you mother fuckers

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Trump is going to be a disaster. I legitimately fear the next four years. May Jeebus have mercy on our souls.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Bye election thread
    I'd say it's been good, but, you know

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Before the GOP kick him out, Michael still try to the president over the difference between work (short term contracts and projects) and jobs ( long-term infrastructure and businesses).

I know I should not expecte it but it would be really nice if someone is GOP would bring up the same line of questioning. Quoting steal word for word.

• Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    Thanks for being around, Election Thread folks. Hopefully we all make it to 2020.

• Options
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

It means nothing until the media starts calling him a Nazi and white nationalist. Right now they're calling him "controversial" and holy shit fuck you he's a godamn Nazi not "controversial" you mother fuckers

I couldn't and won't ever agree with a post more than this.

The outrage needs to be such that years from now Republicans will wonder how there was ever a time they called liberals "pussies."

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    And I'm still mad they put the Inception music over it for no reason.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Sorry for shitty video quality, it's from pre-HD days, but what I hope happens in 2018 with voter turnout against the Trump regime.

https://youtu.be/asQ571k8MfY

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    hi mods

thanks for sharing this fever dream and dealing with our insanity. not that the insanity will be contained to election threads, but you get my meaning.

and, just for posterity's sake
    FUCK DONALD TRUMP

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Warren for Prez 2020

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

I swear, when I'm the cackling, obsidian-throned emperor of the future there's going to be some kind of fucking quota on journalists' use of the word "controversial."

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Let us make good.

• Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Stephen Bannon, Trumps potential chief of staff and accused anti-Semite, has gotten the Gingrich seal of approval because, in Gingriches words Bannon worked in finance and Hollywood, so totally cant be an anti-Semite
    Earlier I tweeted that Gingrich is what stupid people think a smart person sounds like.

I would like to echo that here.

pretty much all of the public conservative intellectuals are complete frauds

Gingrich, George will, david brooks, William krystol

all of them have built careers on slathering a veneer of careful thought over stupidity and bad policy

More and more I've come to believe that the vast majority of Conservative intellectualism is ideology masquerading as pragmatism.

Took you long enough

This could have been surmised by 1995

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    I think her campaign was really interesting to those of us that love political theater.

Like, her social team was brilliant. Fucking brilliant.

I don't think that resonates with most people.

God, I've been so overwhelmed by this result that I'd totally forgotten about her social media team. They did such fantastic work, and in the end it was useless because more people just get some fake news report on facebook made by some kids in Macedonia.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    Warren for Prez 2020
    We can't just keep having the oldest person yet run for their first term as President.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    What, Reagan and thatcher weren't enough? Intellectually bankrupt, callous, fact-free. Conservatism as she is wrote.

• Options
    eat at arby's

This discussion has been closed.