As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Juicero Memorial [Tech Thread]

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Please tell me that is photoshop or someone hacked the screen?

I had a coke freestyle machine get stuck with a windows error at a fast food place before.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Psn bullshit update: even though I own a physical copy of DS3, all my save files are locked out because they used the DLC and the DLC was purchased in PSN

What.

What.

Jesus that's obnoxious shit

Yeah if you don't set the console as your primary device it is going to really limit what you can do offline. It is weirdly restrictive considering how little PS3 games were pirated. But every since The PSP Sony has been ridiculous about that sort of thing.

yes, for some reason neither of my PS4's is the "prime" and thus both are disabled even though I've used and played everything on them before when I had internet. this feels like something Xbox probably does better, if for no reason other than it can't possibly be done worse

how annoying

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Psn bullshit update: even though I own a physical copy of DS3, all my save files are locked out because they used the DLC and the DLC was purchased in PSN

What.

What.

Jesus that's obnoxious shit

Yeah if you don't set the console as your primary device it is going to really limit what you can do offline. It is weirdly restrictive considering how little PS3 games were pirated. But every since The PSP Sony has been ridiculous about that sort of thing.

yes, for some reason neither of my PS4's is the "prime" and thus both are disabled even though I've used and played everything on them before when I had internet. this feels like something Xbox probably does better, if for no reason other than it can't possibly be done worse

how annoying

Microsoft were going to release the Xbox One as having to be connected to the internet or nothing would work.

They rolled back on that pretty hard after the avalanche of protest. I'm surprised Sony snuck this feature out. Or didn't put instructions on how to make your PS4 the prime device on the box.

because holy shit that is terrible.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Wait a minute

How do I make my PS4 my primary console

It's the only one I own, I'm boned if I lose the internet

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    The first time you sign in to PlayStation™Network, you normally choose to activate your system. To activate your system after you first sign in, select (Settings) > [PlayStation Network/Account Management] > [Activate as Your Primary PS4] > [Activate].

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    Wait a minute

How do I make my PS4 my primary console

It's the only one I own, I'm boned if I lose the internet

It's only really important if you buy all your games digitally as the PS4 needs to contact the PS shop to make sure you've bought a legit copy. Same goes for DLC.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I'm buying more and more digital games, so this is good to know. Thank you.

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    My SD card problem solved itself. I'd been trying to transfer files on my Mac, where I was having problems. I tried on my work laptop running Windows and everything "just worked". No hassle.

Thanks for your help, thread :)

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Anyone have experience hooking up a newish console to a pc monitor? I don't think I have hdmi on my monitor and I might be borrowing this wiiu soon and don't want to juggle dozens cables in my living room where the TV lives and get it mixed up with my brothers wiiu.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Uriel wrote: »
    Anyone have experience hooking up a newish console to a pc monitor? I don't think I have hdmi on my monitor and I might be borrowing this wiiu soon and don't want to juggle dozens cables in my living room where the TV lives and get it mixed up with my brothers wiiu.

If you're trying to use analog connections you'll need adapters and will probably have a less than fun time getting everything to look good. Not sure if you'll need an active converter or if a simple input-to-input converter will work.

The former: https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-107113-Component-YpbPr-Converter/dp/B009GUQYBO

The latter: https://www.amazon.com/VGA-RGB-Cable-Male-1-8m/dp/B0096TTOHG

My gut says probably the former.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    It doesn't need to look good really just be playable and listenable.

I'm going to destroy my neck playing on the game pad screen I think.

I wish I could look at the back of my monitor right now. I'm pretty sure it has just vga and dvi but it might have hdmi I just bought it a year or two ago.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options

I wish I could look at the back of my monitor right now. I'm pretty sure it has just vga and dvi but it might have hdmi I just bought it a year or two ago.

Most monitors have HDMI these days so I'd advise checking before making any big decisions. Could save you a lot of hassle.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular

If you're hooking consoles up to a monitor, you can get HDMI to VGA/DVI adapters pretty inexpensively.
    VGA: https://www.amazon.com/Rankie-Gold-Plated-Active-Adapter-Converter/dp/B00ZMV7RL2

DVI: https://www.amazon.com/Generic-GC2080-Adapter-Plated-Connector/dp/B000FUVNX8

The DVI doesn't have audio output, so you'd have to connect the RCA cables for audio somehow with stereo RCA to stereo 3.5mm or something, depending on your speaker hookup.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ArcSyn wrote: »

If you're hooking consoles up to a monitor, you can get HDMI to VGA/DVI adapters pretty inexpensively.
    VGA: https://www.amazon.com/Rankie-Gold-Plated-Active-Adapter-Converter/dp/B00ZMV7RL2

DVI: https://www.amazon.com/Generic-GC2080-Adapter-Plated-Connector/dp/B000FUVNX8

The DVI doesn't have audio output, so you'd have to connect the RCA cables for audio somehow with stereo RCA to stereo 3.5mm or something, depending on your speaker hookup.

Depending on the signal those may or may not work. A lot of stuff needs active conversion, not passive, which gets spendier.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    For audio conversion you'll probably need a 2F/1M RCA cable to plug into followed by a 3.5mm adapter. Those look like small bronze cylinders that have 2F for adapters. I used the same setup when I hooked my PS3 up to my monitor and it's really easy to accomplish. All told it'd cost you maybe $10, maybe $15 depending on where you get it (I got it in person. Amazon and newegg probably sell them for a hell of a lot cheaper).

• Options
    intropintrop Registered User regular
    HDMI to DVI-D is easy: HDMI uses the same physical layer, etc., for video so you can use a passive cable. Read: cheap.

Downside: if you don't have separate audio out from the device (that stays active when the HDMI cable is talking), you have to split the audio out from HDMI separately which requires a little bit of electronics. Read: a few bucks more expensive. You can buy a cheap converter dongle for maybe $30.

Possible downside: not all DVI inputs will talk HDCP (the stupid content encryption that HDMI sometimes uses to "protect" you from copying movies, etc.). Old old DVI monitors will likely be problematic. Newer monitors will likely just work.

Steam ID: highentropy
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I have an HDMI switch that will seperate the audio out of the signal, so something like that might be an option too. It wasn't terribly expensive from memory.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Brolo wrote: »

This is how the robot uprising starts

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    It's grumpy cause it's so ugly

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Its hideous but also I absolutely want all self driving cars to have the overly rounded sci fi look

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i hate self driving cars, i hate cars with gold paint, and i hate technology things that are given human names

so basically this is the worst thing on the planet to me

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Its hideous but also I absolutely want all self driving cars to have the overly rounded sci fi look

I basically want them to look like this, but slightly more modern:

a55c06b435345e9902b428ec8aa06e15.jpg

I love the bubble.

• Options
    Make all autonomous vehicles look like The Homer

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    i hate self driving cars, i hate cars with gold paint, and i hate technology things that are given human names

so basically this is the worst thing on the planet to me

How can you hate self-driving cars? How could having an automated chauffeur be anything but incredible?

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Has anyone here had much experience with soundbars? Any recommendations?

I'm looking about possibly getting one for the TV in my living room to replace my current 2.1 system and make things a little less cluttered.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Has anyone here had much experience with soundbars? Any recommendations?

I'm looking about possibly getting one for the TV in my living room to replace my current 2.1 system and make things a little less cluttered.

Big fan of The Wire Cutter's reviews and they recommend the Vizio SB3851-D0 SmartCast 38″ 5.1 Sound Bar System in the $200 range.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    I will be so happy when self driving cars are a thing. I don't miss taking the bus, but I do miss being able to read while whisked to my destination.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I got a 20 minute drive every day to and from work. I would 100% use a robot car if I could just sit in it and read.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    It be nice, but it will never happen (in our lifetimes). Even if the technological problems of it being unusable in most places are solved, people will legislate/price it it into uselessness.

But we can dream.

• Options
    I don't know if you're, like, super old, but I'd wager self-driving cars will be commonplace in about 10 years, maybe a round 13 for 2030.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    I don't know if you're, like, super old, but I'd wager self-driving cars will be commonplace in about 10 years, maybe a round 13 for 2030.

The technology will certainly be there, but itll likely vary by region. Lots of industrialized nations have been actively fighting against automation, due to not knowing how to handle the resulting unemployment.

• Options
    And that's just one issue. Like most things people are the problem.

Will they run someone down to avoid an accident? That alone will keep it tied up for decades.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    And that's just one issue. Like most things people are the problem.

Will they run someone down to avoid an accident? That alone will keep it tied up for decades.

As autonomous car technology advances, I think this scenario becomes less and less of a consideration. There are a number of accidents that happen because people overcorrect or make the wrong decision under pressure when avoiding a different potential accident. An autonomous car has a data-driven view of the situation and should be able to make the most correct decision possible in the moment, applying the right amount of throttle/brakes/steering input to avoid any potential accident. You shouldn't have autonomous cars overreacting or making obviously incorrect decisions based on the data coming into their sensors.

• Options
    Except there is no right answer, ergo around and around it'll go, decide to wipe everyone out and explode.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Well, I mean, there is a most right answer, whichever one results in the least likely instance of a fatality. Even if it's a miniscule chance that anyone makes it out alive in a given scenario, there's pretty much always going to be an option that is less lethal.

Like, hitting a pedestrian at >5mph should really never be an option, the safety features of modern vehicles will likely assure that wrecking the car against another car or a wall or a lake or whatever has at least a very slight chance of being less lethal.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    People distrust technology enough where, even if a machine-run mistake happens every, say, one in five million instances, they'll be staunchly against it, even if a person-led mistake happens every five thousand.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I don't know how I will handle self driving cars

People fuck up, yeah. But so do computers. The first few generations of "street legal" self driving cars.... I bet they will have some kinks to work out.

An example that comes to my mind is from my job: there are a fuck load of PID controllers regulating things like pressures, temperatures, etc. Most of the time, I leave these things on Auto. Sometimes there are conditions where the controllers go out of whack. Systems could be on nonstandard states, there could be malfunctions, or maybe conditions are just weird for more complicated reasons and the controllers can't handle it. So I need to take manual control. Self driving vehicles will essentially be glorified PID controllers will they not?

I guess as long as the human still has full ability to assume control of the vehicle, and is actually competent enough to do so, it should be fine. I wonder how long it will take for the average person to almost totally forget how to drive properly when self driving cars become standard. Ten years? Twenty?

Most of the time I actually enjoy driving too. I like having a manual transmission, for example. I could definitely deal with having a self driving car in stop and go traffic after a night shift, though.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I work in IT security, so I have related but different concerns about this sort of thing. Frankly I don't trust the engineers to build the systems in a secure fashion, meaning it's just a matter of time before you wake up to find your car is locked down and held to ransom of a few bitcoins by some jerk.. or worse.

• Options
    What's going to happen is they're going to roll out human-supervised automated cars (which are already on the road, by the way, just not available for commercial purchase), and those will be on the road for a few years while everyone says it can drive itself but it MUST be supervised. Then in 5-7 years, there will be fully-automated vehicles and enough test-cases to swing one way or the other, but full automation is inevitable and I'm certain it'll be sooner rather than later, the only thing that will vary is rate of adoption. Asia will probably get it first, then Europe and Canada, then the US, then everywhere else.

This discussion has been closed.