As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Juicero Memorial [Tech Thread]

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Current gen processors are starting to reach the upper limits of moore's law, in re: how much we can fit into CPUs

That's why even 3rd generation intel chips are only marginally worse than 7th gen ones (like maybe 10-20% difference) versus how it was a while back. That's why they're throwing more cores at things, and hopefully SMP becomes far more common in the near future and all these apps and programs take advantage of them if they need it. I'm looking at you civilization 6.

Also why they're focusing on power usage now along with quantum computing, since that kind of computing would basically expand the power of current CPUs by 10 fold plus.

Quantum computing will have no impact on the average person using a computer. Running a web browser or video game is not what they're for. If you want to factor a really big semiprime, or do quantum-scale molecular simulations, they're pretty neat, but they're not really consumer-oriented devices.

sig.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    That's probably the first iteration, which will likely be similar to how mainframes were in the 60s and 70s.

Who knows what quantum computing will be like in the future.

those kind of simulations are oddly similar to how GPUs handle workloads at the moment, so, there's parallels to draw there

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    It seems like finance is a pretty big bottleneck to things like graphics quality too. It doesn't matter how awesome your computer is if taking advantage of it is too expensive for developers. Already with things like animation, hardware is less of a factor than simply having the time and human resources to do it right.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    The most practical use for quantum computers now that the average person will use is cryptography.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Tube wrote: »
    It seems like finance is a pretty big bottleneck to things like graphics quality too. It doesn't matter how awesome your computer is if taking advantage of it is too expensive for developers. Already with things like animation, hardware is less of a factor than simply having the time and human resources to do it right.

I bet at some point we start seeing universal high resolution texture/model/animation libraries shared across games. Like you said, it just costs too much to keep doing it all from scratch.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I want CPUs that tunnel into hyperspace and do calculations faster than light

then I can get 60 FPS in 4k

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Al_wat wrote: »

Where you are going you won't need eyes to see these sick refresh rates.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »

And then you can run Crysis.

• Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    i miss my zune hd

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

I bet at some point we start seeing universal high resolution texture/model/animation libraries shared across games. Like you said, it just costs too much to keep doing it all from scratch.

I think middleware is going to become increasingly important and advanced too. The more animation and assets you can generate procedurally, the better. You don't need to spend a lot of dev time animating hair if some future version of Tress FX looks good.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    webguy20 wrote: »

I think middleware is going to become increasingly important and advanced too. The more animation and assets you can generate procedurally, the better. You don't need to spend a lot of dev time animating hair if some future version of Tress FX looks good.

I gotta say one nice thing about the wall that AAA developers are hitting with graphics is it's a big beacon to all these smaller studios who then decide to be more experimental in their user experiences, instead of just going ultra realistic. Super Hot, Hyper Light Drifter and Night in the Woods to name a few. It is a great time to be a gamer because there are so many unique experiences out there right now.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh, also -- since it had to convert every podcast to video it would take upwards of two hours to move a single podcast over, and it would only save directly, not locally on your machine, so if you disrupted it it wouldn't actually save anywhere and you'd have to start the process over.

And you couldn't turn off the screen to save battery.

And it wouldn't save your place, so if you had to pause a show and it timed out, which took maybe five minutes, you'd have to restart the show or scroll through to find your place, but that was a fool's errand because to do so you'd have to very gently hold right on the scroll pad in the center, but if you did it too fast or accidentally double-clicked it it would just jump to the next show and mark your current show as already listened and marked for deletion, so if you plugged it into your computer it would start syncing automatically, delete your podcast file and to reload it it would have to re-convert it again.

These are all real fucking things that this device did.

I had one of these. To listen to podcasts i just had to download the mp3 directly and put it in a folder. Then you'd have to arduously find it in the awful file manager and play it from there.

Then because a 30 minute car journey wasn't enough to listen to hour+ podcasts it would immediately forget where you were and every time you got back in the car you'd spend a good time minutes scrubbing back and forwards trying to find where you were.

I did use it to watch the entire season of firefly whilst on holiday, once. That was useful.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I mean I used my discman until like 2007 or so.

I remember finally having the money to get something more convenient. I bought a zune.

I had a first gen Zune and it was just so good. I miss that thing every time I think about it. I loved both the physical and software interface.

sighs wistfully

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I have an old Sansa Fuze that I still use to listen to podcasts sometimes.

I should probably get a smartphone at some point.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    I have an old Sansa Fuze that I still use to listen to podcasts sometimes.

I should probably get a smartphone at some point.

Smartphones are super useful

Upgrading to the latest version of flagship phones every year is the craziest thing I've ever heard of though

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Cyvros wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »
    I mean I used my discman until like 2007 or so.

I remember finally having the money to get something more convenient. I bought a zune.

I had a first gen Zune and it was just so good. I miss that thing every time I think about it. I loved both the physical and software interface.

sighs wistfully

the software was garbage until a few versions in, but then they turned it around. I still use it as an mp3 player on my laptop at home actually.

rip zune 80gb

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    ArsTechnica has a pretty good story about how the FBI tracked down a guy that sent a seizure-inducing gif to a man with epilepsy.

There's another story there today about how 40 people watched a gang rape happen live on Facebook Live, but I don't really want to read anything beyond that headline.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    ArsTechnica has a pretty good story about how the FBI tracked down a guy that sent a seizure-inducing gif to a man with epilepsy.

There's another story there today about how 40 people watched a gang rape happen live on Facebook Live, but I don't really want to read anything beyond that headline.

Surely there must be someone at facebook who monitors for awful crap like that

• Options
    Karl wrote: »

But Facebook's just a technology company, not a media/editing company!

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Think about how much shit gets posted on Facebook.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    they actually have a warehouse full of foreign laborers whose whole job is to monitor posted images on Facebook

but I think the process for live streaming is different

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

There is! That's what's so shitty! If one person had reported that video, it would have been bumped to the top of the queue and been shut down in less than a minute!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    It honestly makes my stomach feel sick thinking about that poor woman.

Just. Fuck, man. Sexual assault is one of those things that makes me wanna throw up, I've seen some really gory shit before.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    If they were to shut it down, I would actually kinda hope they would fake it still running for the perpetrators because then they're just gathering evidence and hopefully faces to identify to get them prosecuted. I know Facebook doesn't want to get involved in a lot of stuff, but they could be helpful.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    I think my phone is telling me it's time for a replacement - battery only lasts about 3.5 hours from fully charged, and last night the charging port cover snapped in half spontaneously :p

So what's the good word on current Android devices?

• Options
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    If they were to shut it down, I would actually kinda hope they would fake it still running for the perpetrators because then they're just gathering evidence and hopefully faces to identify to get them prosecuted. I know Facebook doesn't want to get involved in a lot of stuff, but they could be helpful.

The instant that you logged on to that feed Facebook would have all the information you've ever given them. Presumably the person who put up the feed didn't use their own account, but any lookie loos may have done. They'd also have login IPs, any cookies that survive logout...

• Options
    While I'm glad that they caught the guy in the seizure gif case, I'm not thrilled that everyone who engages in cyber stalking now know precisely what he did wrong.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Sooo, anybody know a free tool to recover files on a mac? I accidentally started a new time machine back up when I was trying to restore from an existing one and welp.gif

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Ducking into the thread to drop this thing my boss handed down to me.
    iPhone, Mac owners: How to stymie hackers extorting Apple, threatening to wipe devices
    Security expert spells out steps to take, just in case hacker claims are legit

Hackers claiming to have hundreds of millions of iCloud credentials have threatened to wipe date from iPhones, iPads and Macs if Apple does not fork over $150,000 within two weeks.

"This group is known for getting accounts and credentials, they have gotten credentials in the past," said Lamar Bailey, director of security research and development at Tripwire, of the purported hackers. "But whether they have that many ... who knows?"

There's another reason for not panicking, Bailey said: People can quickly make their accounts more secure, assuming the criminals have only collected, not actually compromised the iCloud accounts by changing millions of passwords.

"The best thing to in this instance is to change the [iCloud account] password, especially if it's a weak password," said Bailey in an interview. Weak, in Bailey's mind, was not necessarily simply short, but "one that was in the dictionary."

Hackers can brute-force passwords that consist of a single real-world word -- one in the dictionary -- by relying on, not surprisingly, lists of words from the dictionary.

Bailey reiterated the long-standing advice to compose passwords from numbers, letters and special characters, such as & and ^.

Changing an iCloud account password is straight-forward; Apple spells out password reset on this page.

"They should also enable two-factor authentication," Bailey continued, referring to the security layer available to those running iOS 9 or later on an iPhone or iPad, or OS X El Capitan (version 10.11) or later.

So, y'know, might wanna change those passwords now before these potentially-compromised accounts are actually taken over.

Apple could write that $150,000 check and make it back by dinner time but if they do that they'll have every wannabe hacker in the world coming after them for a payday.

Nullzone wrote: »
    I think my phone is telling me it's time for a replacement - battery only lasts about 3.5 hours from fully charged, and last night the charging port cover snapped in half spontaneously :p

So what's the good word on current Android devices?

Google Pixel seems top of the heap, still. Real slick and responsive device.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    While I'm glad that they caught the guy in the seizure gif case, I'm not thrilled that everyone who engages in cyber stalking now know precisely what he did wrong.

You'd have to be an idiot not to have thought of that (don't use anything connected to you in a crime) in the first place, so I wouldn't expect this to help anyone avoid getting caught.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The Nova's battery life is so much better than my old phone's.

Granted I've been not using it much, mainly writing messages and a bit of maps and chrome here and there and at night a few hours of flight mode, but it's been running for 75 hours now and is still at 39%.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    $150,000?

That seems like a really low amount of money to demand.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Right? The amount of money doesn't really seem like the deciding factor here, so you might as well go all out. If Apple decides to negotiate with hackers, anything below a million is probably a rounding error.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Doesn't Apple have something like $100 billion in offshore accounts as a war chest?

If you're suing them, at least make it worthwhile. A billion is a drop in the ocean for them, so you may as well go for it.

• Options
    The idea is to be low enough to make paying easier than attempting to avoid paying. Make it too high and they'll be willing to spend the money to try and stop you instead. Encryption schemes play the same way.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    The average incident response engagement is hideously expensive. We're trying to do it more reasonably, but it's generally still cheaper to pay the ransom. Of course, prevention is the cheapest, depending on the hit to your brand value following a publicised breach.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    What would cause my texting apps to not receive messages? And then receive them the next day? It's happened a few times, with textra and the Verizon message app. I was using WiFi and also data at different times.

Other apps and whatnot work, like Snapchat and Instagram and Facebook messenger and YouTube,

• Options
    What would cause my texting apps to not receive messages? And then receive them the next day? It's happened a few times, with textra and the Verizon message app. I was using WiFi and also data at different times.

Other apps and whatnot work, like Snapchat and Instagram and Facebook messenger and YouTube,

Usually happens for me when my phone goes in and out of service. I live out in the country and sometimes I end up with a huge delay on messages I should have gotten the day before.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I had service the whole time.

• Options

Check your Textra settings for System and MMS? I would expect Verizon's message app not to have a problem though. I use Textra though because I don't like Verizon's or the stock.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
This discussion has been closed.