As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Juicero Memorial [Tech Thread]

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    So looks like the Senate passed that awful bill allowing ISPs to sell browsing data.
    Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) argued today that the privacy rules "hurt job creators and stifle economic growth." Cornyn also said the FCC's privacy rulemaking involves the "government picking winners and losers," and was among the "harmful rules and regulations put forward by the Obama administration at the last moment."

I love that no matter what it is, the job creators/economic growth argument is used by Republicans. It doesn't even make sense in this context!

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Oghulk wrote: »
    So looks like the Senate passed that awful bill allowing ISPs to sell browsing data.
    Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) argued today that the privacy rules "hurt job creators and stifle economic growth." Cornyn also said the FCC's privacy rulemaking involves the "government picking winners and losers," and was among the "harmful rules and regulations put forward by the Obama administration at the last moment."

I love that no matter what it is, the job creators/economic growth argument is used by Republicans. It doesn't even make sense in this context!

They've discovered how useful a buzzword it is and by-gum they're gonna stretch it 'til it breaks. Also the "stifles economic growth" line has been what Pai used to complain about literally every decision Wheeler ever made, so it's just a reflex at this point for FCC matters.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    What would cause my texting apps to not receive messages? And then receive them the next day? It's happened a few times, with textra and the Verizon message app. I was using WiFi and also data at different times.

Other apps and whatnot work, like Snapchat and Instagram and Facebook messenger and YouTube,

Check your Textra settings for System and MMS? I would expect Verizon's message app not to have a problem though. I use Textra though because I don't like Verizon's or the stock.

It happened a few times, spread out over a few months, with Textra. I couldn't figure out what was causing it, so I switched back to Verizon message app, and then it did it too

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    So browsers can sell information on your grumble preferences to the highest bidder? Great, just great.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    So browsers can sell information on your grumble preferences to the highest bidder? Great, just great.

Not just browsers, ISPs.

A good reason to route everything through SSL and a VPN.

• Options
    Yeah I'm probably gonna start budgeting in a VPN. They were pretty good in China so I imagine they would be a lot better in the states.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    so uh

where's the best place to VPN my traffic through

England/Canada?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    But then how can you know that the VPN isn't going to sell your shit either?

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

It doesn't stop the selling but it obfuscates your connection to it because the IP tied to the traffic isn't yours.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

It's a different IP address than your actual one. For example in China it was used to get around the firewall, so it masked an IP address in the middle of Beijing as being one in Hong Kong. In the states it wouldn't be necessary to go out of country, just somewhere a bit different.

The VPN could sell the data, but using them operates on the same assumption as anything else in this kinda market; use other providers that promise not to sell the data.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah You'd want to use a VPN in a country that has really good consumer protection rules.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    For example a VPN in the EU.

But then you run into the latency issue v. consumer protection trade-off and it can...really lean towards one side.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Is there a guide to how to set up VPNs?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    A bit of googling will work.

It differs a lot from OS to OS and which VPNs you use.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I can't be bothered to set up a VPN, so I'll just continue to cut out the middleman and post my colonoscopies on YouTube.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Anyone got a good source on the release dates of the upcoming flagship smartphones? I am in need of an upgrade (my 2-year-old Droid Turbo can't hold a charge for shit anymore) and am getting impatient.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    Anyone got a good source on the release dates of the upcoming flagship smartphones? I am in need of an upgrade (my 2-year-old Droid Turbo can't hold a charge for shit anymore) and am getting impatient.

I think the only one that isn't out yet is the Galaxy S8. If you're on Verizon, you can either wait for that (April sometime) or get a Pixel now.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

I get a lot of info from http://www.gsmarena.com
    If you want flagship and want one soon, you're probably picking betweeen the Galaxy S8 and LG G6. I've heard good things from LG this time around. Otherwise, Pixel is still a good choice as we're still 6+ months away from a new one.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I have the LG G6 on pre-order. I know the processor is last year's but otherwise it fit everything I was looking for - and most importantly gets me switched from a lease plan to a real payment plan (the Sprint rep screwed up our account when we originally set it up). Also, it supposedly has better coverage in buildings through HPUE which I was willing to try since my Galaxy gets crappy signal at my desk.

I'm pretty sure the wife and kid are going to go G8 though if there are good deals though.

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular

Some of it's basically down to trust and reputation (and occasionally there's precedent in how they've done with previous public requests for information). My current VPN is run by a bunch of privacy activists and lawyers, all their legal stuff online looks trustworthy, and it has a good rep across multiple online communities.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    A bunch of login pages, including these forums have recently been showing "this page is not secure" on both chrome and firefox.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    A bunch of login pages, including these forums have recently been showing "this page is not secure" on both chrome and firefox.

It's because they use http instead of https, which is a fairly simple form of encryption. Like, it won't keep the Russians out of your PA account if they really want in, but it'll stop low-level bots from casually skimming your PA password. There's been a pretty big push lately among some sectors of the tech industry to make the entire internet https, and Chrome and Firefox have jumped on board by making sure you know when a website isn't using it.

Basically, that message means "this site is no more secure than the entire internet has been for the last twenty years."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere

The Electronic Frontier Foundation has an addon that will always try to use https first, so you don't have to think about it. Also sometimes even if you DO think about it and do it manually, clicking a link on the site you're browsing, even to another aspect of their site, may revert to regular http.

edit: oops punctuation

Ranlin on
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Okay so it's normal, just browsers have been more nagging about it in recent updates.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    yes, but also there is an https version of the forums so you should use that

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Brolo wrote: »
    The most practical use for quantum computers now that the average person will use is cryptography.

Wait, what? Quantum computing is relevant for encryption because a good quantum computer would defeat the bulk of modern cryptography by, essentially, brute force (because of, iirc, Shor's algorithm letting them factor primes fast).

I know there's a push to shift to crypto schemes that don't already have known breaks on a quantum computer, but that's not going to happen until after the first major loss to it is publicized (because corporate :P).

I'm not aware of any application to actually encrypting your stuff, which is what the average person cares about...? Admittedly I'm not 100% up to date on where that stuff's at.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Yeah I think the main uses of quantum computing for the foreseeable future will be brute-forcing older algorithms that can't be done with binary computing due to the sheer time necessary to do so.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i remember reading some time ago that the next practical phase in chip technology was optical circuitry, where instead of a binary methodology the bit could have like 6 or 8 states

but i guess quantum is starting to Really Happen and must be preferred

but isn't a quantum bit really complex? i can't remember

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Cyvros wrote: »

Some of it's basically down to trust and reputation (and occasionally there's precedent in how they've done with previous public requests for information). My current VPN is run by a bunch of privacy activists and lawyers, all their legal stuff online looks trustworthy, and it has a good rep across multiple online communities.

Who do you use, if you don't mind me asking?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »

She could tell you, but then she'd have to kill you...

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    warning: quantum computer pedantry below
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »
    The most practical use for quantum computers now that the average person will use is cryptography.

Wait, what? Quantum computing is relevant for encryption because a good quantum computer would defeat the bulk of modern cryptography by, essentially, brute force (because of, iirc, Shor's algorithm letting them factor primes fast).

I know there's a push to shift to crypto schemes that don't already have known breaks on a quantum computer, but that's not going to happen until after the first major loss to it is publicized (because corporate :P).

I'm not aware of any application to actually encrypting your stuff, which is what the average person cares about...? Admittedly I'm not 100% up to date on where that stuff's at.
    I think Rolo was saying the same thing as you, which is that quantum computers will be used to break existing integer-factorization/elliptic-curve based encryption, not that regular people will be using quantum computers to do encryption. This will affect regular people insofar as the encryption they use will change. Of course, this will probably be invisible to the average person, as it just means your browser and the websites you connect to will now use a different cipher suite when negotiating the connection.
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Yeah I think the main uses of quantum computing for the foreseeable future will be brute-forcing older algorithms that can't be done with binary computing due to the sheer time necessary to do so.

This is the right idea, but it's not so much brute-forcing of an old algorithm, as the existence of a different algorithm which solves the same problem more efficiently. For example, on a classical computer, you use the general number field sieve to factor a number, but on a quantum computer, you can use the aforementioned Shor's algorithm, which is faster. Unfortunately, there really aren't that many problems we know of which can be solved more efficiently on a quantum computer than on a classical computer, with the most important ones being integer factorization and quantum simulation (though there are others).
    Jasconius wrote: »
    i remember reading some time ago that the next practical phase in chip technology was optical circuitry, where instead of a binary methodology the bit could have like 6 or 8 states

but i guess quantum is starting to Really Happen and must be preferred

but isn't a quantum bit really complex? i can't remember

Not sure if great pun or actual question... but unless you do a lot of integer factorization/discrete logarithms/simulation of quantum systems, then you don't need a quantum computer. Optical chips, or 3D chips, or exotic material chips are all more likely next generation processor technologies to affect consumer hardware.

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017

AirVPN.

...oh shit I take that back Kane

Edit: Seriously, though: with any VPN decision, I'd encourage you to not solely trust me and to do some research if you have the time.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    On the flip side of using quantum computing to break encryption, quantum key distribution (which does not actually use a quantum computer, but would be considered quantum cryptography) would provide a way of making sure nobody was eavesdropping on a conversation in between two secured points.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2015/08/reflective-satellites-may-be-the-future-of-high-end-encryption/

• Options
    I just randomly came across this

and I love it for how hilarious it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeESbGPl_Dw

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular

AirVPN.

Edit: Seriously, though: with any VPN decision, I'd encourage you to not solely trust me and to do some research if you have the time.

Yeah, I've been looking around a bit more lately. I'm more or less happy with my current VPN for now, but I'd be willing to switch to a better alternative.

• Options

AirVPN.

Yeah, I've been looking around a bit more lately. I'm more or less happy with my current VPN for now, but I'd be willing to switch to a better alternative.

We came from IVPN. AirVPN's definitely cheaper and does have that privacy activist angle, but the speeds are less consistent. But I hear that in North America and Europe, the speeds are great. YMMV given that you're up in Darwin.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    that's really impressive if it's actually not a black circle drawn in photoshop

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Yea, I'd really like to actually see it, it seems like it'd be fairly mindblowing.

Then I want a pair of short shorts in that material.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Where are my vantablack clothes already?

This discussion has been closed.