As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Juicero Memorial [Tech Thread]

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I want to believe that he pronounces his gamertag as Fatal-one-ty, please tell me this is true.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    My parents really like Numb3rs, and get mad when my wife and I persist in pronouncing it "Numbthreers."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Who?

Oh, you mean Fatal1ty. Sorry, I didn't recognize him without his extraneous digit.

What do you call that, when there's just one accent number in the middle of a gamer tag? An umleet?

kane-clap.gif

sig.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    My parents really like Numb3rs, and get mad when my wife and I persist in pronouncing it "Numbthreers."

Fiveive

Sixix

SeSevenen

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Fiveive

Sixix

SeSevenen

Is there an echo in here?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    HxlLwltl.png

PMY0LrDl.jpg

Ttg6MEsl.jpg

every time I read them I can't help but pronounce them with the number

same thing with anything that uses underscores

like classic forums user randall underscore flagg

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    What about this

4oeoVRF.jpg

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    "did you just say D@rk_Seph1r0th? oh no you pronounced my tag wrong it's actually DatrkunderscoreSephonerzeroth."

• Options
    edited April 2017
    My favorite tony shalhoub movie!

Thir-thirteen-en Ghosts

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Thirteen Reasons Why has like four different spellings in my library catalog because different versions had different Marc records.

Th13teen Reasons Why
    Th1rt3n Reasons Why
    13 Reasons Why
    Thirteen Reasons Why

You have to search for them individually to find copies available since the search function is too simple to pull them all up

It is infuriating.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I take it back I forgot about galaxy quest for a moment.

Dang Tony Shalhoub should get more movie roles.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Thirteen Reasons Why has like four different spellings in my library catalog because different versions had different Marc records.

Th13teen Reasons Why
    Th1rt3n Reasons Why
    13 Reasons Why
    Thirteen Reasons Why

You have to search for them individually to find copies available since the search function is too simple to pull them all up

It is infuriating.

wait but
    the first two don't even make sense in leetspeak

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

Th13teen Reasons Why
    Th1rt3n Reasons Why
    13 Reasons Why
    Thirteen Reasons Why

It is infuriating.

One of my favorite things about cataloging is alternate titles, which allows patrons to search for such classics as God Does Not Like Ugly by Mary Monroe.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options

Th13teen Reasons Why
    Th1rt3n Reasons Why
    13 Reasons Why
    Thirteen Reasons Why

It is infuriating.

wait but
    the first two don't even make sense in leetspeak

I KNOW

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    There's a truck dealer around here called Macl-one-n Ford:
    logo-head.png

(edit: also, this one drives me crazy -- how would you even pronounce the extra accent? Yes, 'colour' is spelled correctly, I'm in Canada.)
    f5bsahnh0zt7.jpg

djmitchella on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    There's a truck dealer around here called Macl-one-n Ford:
    logo-head.png

(edit: also, this one drives me crazy -- how would you even pronounce the extra accent? Yes, 'colour' is spelled correctly, I'm in Canada.)
    f5bsahnh0zt7.jpg

That's an n-ye, isn't it? You roll the o.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    I was thinking of it like the n in "pinata", yeah -- but I still can't work out how to actually make those sounds.. "colour and beyo-nye-nd"? That doubles the n, which seems really weird.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i remember seeing GPU boxes as a kid (they used to shelf stock them at the equivalent of GameStop), and thinking... not only are there no games that look like what's on these boxes, but I don't even want to play whatever game that's supposed to be

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I dunno that Fatal1ty the person is still a thing anyone cares about but the Fatal1ty branding is absolutely still alive. I was looking at AM4 motherboards just last week and came across a couple of Fatal1ty editions.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    He doesn't look that douchey in every photo :https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/07/Fatal1ty_2014.jpg

I was always fascinated by the fact that Thresh went on to found several 100 million dollar+ companies. I spent a good two years drafting against him as a competitor to the company I worked for. Somehow, his empire remains.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    A friend of mine playing the alpha for the new still-unreleased Unreal Tournament once got onto the server where Fatal1ty was playing (who was streaming), and the dude of course had a KDR of like three thousand even though he hadn't played competitively in forever. My friend managed to get a kill on him, and promptly quit and probably uninstalled the game, because you have no where to go but down at that point.

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah, the dude was real dang good at what he did.

At the E3 I saw him at there was a big contest where you could play some game against him and for every kill you'd get against him you'd move up in the prize bracket. Even getting like five kills would net you some $400+ video card, I think.

I watched like five rounds and nobody even walked away with a mouse pad. Dude was on point.

I still think it's pretty douchey branding, but hey, that's what was selling at that point, so I guess good on him?

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Could you imagine how much shit Blizzard would get if they had a tournament where you could play against Flash or Julyzerg and if you won you got a prize? Holy shit that sounds so scummy now.

• Options
    I don't see anything remotely scummy about it

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm having trouble following the logic on that one. Tournaments with prizes aren't really an uncommon thing for promotional tours or events. Heck, Nintendo recently revived the Nintendo World Championship event and people were pretty into that.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    That sounds hilarious to me, it would basically be the Starcraft equivalent of this

sig.png
  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Seems like the issue is that one is being pitted against impossible odds? Which I mean makes sense, it's like playing a carnival game for a chance at a prize.

• Options
    I don't see a problem with that. Basketball teams routinely pick random audience members for a chance to shot a basket from half court for a sizable cash prize. The fact that the odds are extremely long means that failure is expected, but the possibility of someone pulling off a one-in-a-million shot is exciting.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    The Starcraft equivalent you could probably play a hundred thousand games and the underdog would never win. It's possible to take a kill off of Fatality.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    a better first person shooter analogy to winning a game of starcraft against a pro would be winning a full round of like quake deathmatch, not just getting one kill in

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    So it looks like on my new phone I cant look up anything on the internet while on a call? Which really sucked just now when I was talking to someone and needed to pull a piece of information out of my email but suddenly had no data connection

Is that gonna be like a setting on the phone or some kind of hardware limitation or is it just a property of my carriers network/plan?

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    So it looks like on my new phone I cant look up anything on the internet while on a call? Which really sucked just now when I was talking to someone and needed to pull a piece of information out of my email but suddenly had no data connection

Is that gonna be like a setting on the phone or some kind of hardware limitation or is it just a property of my carriers network/plan?

what phone and carrier

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

what phone and carrier

S7 edge and sprint

The plan is a family plan but it should be a pretty good one? Like weve has it forever so it shouldn't have any data limits if that matter

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    were you previously on verizon, out of curiosity? they used (or maybe still do, no idea) to have all their phones set up so they could split calls/data on different bandwidths and that's how they cheated it

Naphtali on
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    No been on Sprint forever, before getting this new phone (and the plan was renewed but I dont think changed) I could absolutely check my email while on a call even if I wasn't in wifi range

I just made another call to check and as soon as I hit call the little lte thing by the sign indicator vanishes and as soon as I end the call it reappears, though maybe that doesn't mean anything

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    hmm... are you making calls on the cellular, or over your wifi? that might be it

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    No been on Sprint forever, before getting this new phone (and the plan was renewed but I dont think changed) I could absolutely check my email while on a call even if I wasn't in wifi range

I just made another call to check and as soon as I hit call the little lte thing by the sign indicator vanishes and as soon as I end the call it reappears, though maybe that doesn't mean anything

You need to enable HD calling or something like that. My S7 was the same way and it took me a while to find an answer.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Huawei is launching a single-board computer in the vein of the Raspberry Pi called the HiKey 960. It uses a Kirin 960 SOC with 3GB LPDDR4 and 32GB on-board memory, plus 2 USB 3.0 ports and one type-C port, and an M.2 slot for adding a true SSD. The cost is $240, which seems a little bit high but it's also relatively powerful for something like this so IDK. I used an RPI as a desktop for a very short time and it was usable if slow, and I liked the concept of using a barebones "just what you need" system.

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/4/27/15459614/huawei-hikey-960-single-board-linux-computer

jgeis on
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017

@Kwoaru did you just upgrade from a Note 3 or an S4 by chance?

Allow me to explain:

the Note 3 and the S4 were the last two phones on sprint with the modem/band capabilities to use simultaneous voice and data on sprint. Most other carriers have rolled out VoLTE (Voice over LTE) which is why those carriers can do simultaneous voice and data, and that capability is baked into Sprint phones.

Sprint is in the process of leveraging SoftBank's expertise to roll out VoLTE in the states, but until such time as that happens you will be unable to do simultaneous voice and data on Sprint.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Kwoaru did you just upgrade from a Note 3 by chance?

That is in fact exactly what I just upgraded from

why that wasn't something special the note 3 did that the s7 edge can't was it

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
This discussion has been closed.