As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Juicero Memorial [Tech Thread]

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Good news, everyone! I found a software fix for my mouse that will keep it alive for now. Thanks for the suggestions, and I will keep them in mind for the future!

Oh hey, that's the same fix I use for my Logitech G600!

From what I've read when I started having the problem (been a couple years now), double-clicking seems to just be a thing that happens to Logitech mice after a while.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Does that work on Win 10?

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Does that work on Win 10?

Yep

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    tech thread is there a way to make it so the basic messages app on the galaxy s7 edge opens text message links in chrome instead of either inside the messenger app in some weird ass way or in the default samsung "internet" app

my old phone had a little thing that popped up every time I clicked a link that asked me which browser I wanted to open a link with and I miss that

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    tech thread is there a way to make it so the basic messenger app on the galaxy s7 edge opens text message links in chrome instead of either inside the messenger app in some weird ass way or in the default samsung "internet" app

my old phone had a little thing that popped up every time I clicked a link that asked me which browser I wanted to open a link with and I miss that

There should be some kind of "app associations" setting you can use to choose your default browser, email app, photo viewer, etc.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Kind of tech adjacent, but does anyone have a good but relatively inexpensive soldering iron the recommend?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Kind of tech adjacent, but does anyone have a good but relatively inexpensive soldering iron the recommend?

This one has really good ratings:

https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-FX888D-23BY-Digital-Soldering-FX-888D/dp/B00ANZRT4M

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017

This'll do you. Unless you need something fancy, but you did say cheap...

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I assume Chris is joking, but don't buy anything without an adjustable temp control

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    I assume Chris is joking, but don't buy anything without an adjustable temp control

That one does have an adjustable temp control knob.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    It's got a dial!

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    tech thread is there a way to make it so the basic messenger app on the galaxy s7 edge opens text message links in chrome instead of either inside the messenger app in some weird ass way or in the default samsung "internet" app

There should be some kind of "app associations" setting you can use to choose your default browser, email app, photo viewer, etc.

Try under Apps > Default Apps

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

This one has really good ratings:

https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-FX888D-23BY-Digital-Soldering-FX-888D/dp/B00ANZRT4M

If you want cheaper, but not a pen I have this thing and have no problems. And if you sit on the page long enough they'll drop the price (or did for me at the time)

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MCVCHJM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495064776&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=aoyue+soldering

I've used it a few times for soldering keyboards, hasn't given me any issues.

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2017
    if you're not in a hurry, use a site like camelcamelcamel.com to track amazon prices and have them send you an alert when they hit a threshold

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options

It's got a dial!

oh, well, that's what I get for looking at things on my phone

• Options

It's got a dial!

oh, well, that's what I get for looking at things on my phone

I read the sellers description - at minimum (200 degrees C) and maximum (450 degrees C) it is accurate, but anywhere in between it can be up to 30 degrees C out... $15 though!

• Options
    I'm only doing basic soldering and likely won't need super specific temperature control at this point.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    So the mousewheel on my current mouse is essentially broken, and I need a new mouse. For teh gaminz. Now I'm not super hardcore, never messed with weights and stuff, and I don't really need extra buttons, maybe one or two thumb-buttons at most. I don't know jack about sensors, and I don't want to spend a bajillion on a mouse. I've been eyeing the steelseries Rival 100, but I'd like to hear some experiences you guys had.

When it comes to competitive games, I mainly play Overwatch, might look at TF2 and SC2 again

e: the Logitech G502 (with silly RGB lights, but ok) is on sale for ~45 bucks, which puts a higher-range mouse juuust about in my budget range. Looks a little cluttered though, 11 buttons? what

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    So, I'm thinking of getting a gaming laptop in a few months - I've gotta save up for it first, obviously. I don't need an ultrapowered thing but I'd like something halfway competent. Does anyone know of a site that can evaluate how well a game *should* run when given the specs of a machine? I know of canyourunit, but obviously that just detects the machine you're using, not the one you want to get.

I was thinking of something like the Dell Inspiron 15 5000 or 7000, probably one of the higher-tier models. Seems to get good reviews for a mid-range gaming laptop without getting too overpriced.

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    I've been thinking about getting this Dell for a while, which is probably one of the models you're looking at.
    Going by some of the reviews on that page, the screen seems to let it down a bit, which might be worth considering.

The IPS screens on some of the more expensive models seem to be very good though.

• Options
    Yeah, I'm thinking I'd go with one of the higher-tier models with a better screen. I'm not TOO bothered by a not-great screen, but...

My real baseline is I'd like to be able to ideally run Witcher 3 on the system with little issue. Unfortunately I don't really having a way of knowing if it will run well, even on the top-line model Inspiron.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Is there a reason it needs to be a laptop?

• Options
    Eh, mainly for the portability aspect? I don't get a TON of time to play games at home and even if I do, I try and restrict myself to mainly kid-friendly titles so as to not expose the kids to too much horrific violence. I'm mainly of thinking something I could bring to work and play on my lunch break or something.

I certainly have looked at desktops and I know you can get much better systems for the same price.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I've bought a gaming laptop before and it was kind of an eh investment, because not only are they expensive for something that doesn't stay that current but they don't last that long because they're always running so hot. The battery also ended up being a real issue, to the point where near the end of its life it got literally thirty minutes. I have a Surface Book that can run a ton of stuff, but not necessarily bleeding edge. It's also not giant, which a lot of gaming laptops tend to be.

• Options
    I'm still months out from making a purchase, but I'm definitely trying to consider the pros and cons of the investment. I know I'd be better off just getting a new PC... Which I may still do instead, honestly. Not like I don't have a 3DS to play on my lunch.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    If you do go with a laptop, you want something with at least a Nvidia 1060 6gb. They're the same as the regular desktop part, though they do tend to run a bit slower do to cooling concerns. To use your Witcher 3 example, a 1060 will run it at ~60 fps at a mix of high and ultra setting. A 1050 ti will be about the same at medium settings.

At 1080p of course. A gtx 1070 would be called for if you want to go to 1440p and maintain settings.

• Options
    Yeah, I was thinking I'd probably want to go with a 1060 at least if I got a laptop.

Right now though I'm definitely leaning a lot more towards just getting a new desktop, though. Mainly because of the aformentioned 3DS, and I'm going to get a Switch at some point too, so it's not as if I'll be wanting for portable gaming.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I've bought a gaming laptop before and it was kind of an eh investment, because not only are they expensive for something that doesn't stay that current but they don't last that long because they're always running so hot. The battery also ended up being a real issue, to the point where near the end of its life it got literally thirty minutes. I have a Surface Book that can run a ton of stuff, but not necessarily bleeding edge. It's also not giant, which a lot of gaming laptops tend to be.

My anecdote of owning a high-end performance laptop for the past 5 years and only having it die recently is that a modern chipset doesn't experience these issues near as often or as severe as one from, say, 8 years back used to. My 9hr batter (realistically about 7hrs) still got 4-5 hours out of a charge at the end of its life and the heat factor which cooked my previous system wasn't really an issue so long as I kept the vents clear. It began to noticeably lose performance in the last year of its life and big-name titles were beginning to get released that the video card couldn't even support but that's kind of the way it goes. It was a 4-5-year-old computer at that point.

Just do yourself a favor and unplug the computer when the battery is full and not in use. It'll save a lot of grief.

• Options
    Right now I'm leaning more towards 'get a desktop instead', but who knows, my mind may change by the time I'm actually able to purchase something.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »

My anecdote of owning a high-end performance laptop for the past 5 years and only having it die recently is that a modern chipset doesn't experience these issues near as often or as severe as one from, say, 8 years back used to. My 9hr batter (realistically about 7hrs) still got 4-5 hours out of a charge at the end of its life and the heat factor which cooked my previous system wasn't really an issue so long as I kept the vents clear. It began to noticeably lose performance in the last year of its life and big-name titles were beginning to get released that the video card couldn't even support but that's kind of the way it goes. It was a 4-5-year-old computer at that point.

Just do yourself a favor and unplug the computer when the battery is full and not in use. It'll save a lot of grief.

If battery life is a concern, I've heard setting it to "high temp" or 80% max charge helps keep it from degrading as quickly as well.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I've never owned a gaming laptop, but I've been following Rock Paper Shotgun's Laptop Quest with great interest. Alec Meer is trying out a whole bunch of them at various price points and talking about the overall experience with each. He's up to four so far, but if you're still a ways out from the purchase, he might stumble across a real gem for you.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Oh my god i am definitely painting my next place in dorkwood and stinky bean

• Options
    See I'm thinking Sindis Poop with highlights in both Bank Butt and Turdly.

• Options
    Sindis poop is nice, yeah. As is stargoon.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I like Grade Bat and stoner blue

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Snowbonk is really funny for some reason.

• Options
    Yukira wrote: »
    Snowbonk is really funny for some reason.

Sounds like a TF2 map.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I am stealing a bunch of those for D&D character names.

This discussion has been closed.