As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Juicero Memorial [Tech Thread]

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Mgrr and pronounce the g the opposite of gif.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    "imgur" is absolutely a play on "imager"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Never let a good pronunciation get in the way of being correct about it.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    image-ur

Oh I have a question about it, now that I've dumped photo bucket, if I'm using the imgur app, how to I get the direct image link for the picture I uploaded?

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    image-ur

Oh I have a question about it, now that I've dumped photo bucket, if I'm using the imgur app, how to I get the direct image link for the picture I uploaded?

tap and hold on it and you should be able to copy the link I think?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Can anyone recommend a decent, but low cost, headset with a microphone to use for online games like PUBG where you need to talk to team mates?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Can anyone recommend a decent, but low cost, headset with a microphone to use for online games like PUBG where you need to talk to team mates?

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-ClearChat-Cancelling-Microphone-Headphones/dp/B000UXZQ42/

It's not amazing but it's a serviceable headset. I used the predecessor to that for like 7 years in wow.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I use that headset for like, professional webinar stuff and talking to clients. It is very serviceable. I've used a version of that headset in one form or another for probably a decade.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited July 2017

If you've got headphones already which I bet you do just get a clip on mic.

I've got one of these but I can't seem to find anything similar anymore.

It's a real shame everything similar is super expensive stuff like the mod mic.

This thing I can just clip onto my shirt pocket and go and only ran me like ~5 bucks shipped.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-ClearChat-Cancelling-Microphone-Headphones/dp/B000UXZQ42/

It's not amazing but it's a serviceable headset. I used the predecessor to that for like 7 years in wow.

That's the exact headset they've used at every service desk job I've had that used softphones

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Just to give options, any more expensive but also better for gaming headsets out there?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    I've been using the PlayStation Gold headset for years. Excellent choice if you want to go wireless.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Anyone got recommenations for a good e-reader?

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    iguanacus wrote: »
    I've been using the PlayStation Gold headset for years. Excellent choice if you want to go wireless.

I do have these. Got them for my PS4. Did not know they worked well on PC.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Just to give options, any more expensive but also better for gaming headsets out there?

What's your price range?

• Options
    godmode wrote: »

What's your price range?

Well if this PS Gold headset works on my PC then $0 I guess since I already own them.

However for giggles let's say $100.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    I bought these headphones on the recommendation of The Wirecutter and they're some of the best headphones I've ever used. I haven't played any games with them yet, but even just listening to some music sounds really good.
    Can't speak to the quality of the mic, but the sound alone, plus the handy little in-line remote make them really good. Big upgrade over the old Razer Carcharias that I had before.

Oh, I've now played games with them and they sound great.

godmode on
  • Options
    I bought these headphones on the recommendation of The Wirecutter and they're some of the best headphones I've ever used. I haven't played any games with them yet, but even just listening to some music sounds really good.
    Can't speak to the quality of the mic, but the sound alone, plus the handy little in-line remote make them really good. Big upgrade over the old Razer Carcharias that I had before.

Oh, I've now played games with them and they sound great.

Those are very nice looking.

• Options
    One of my favorite things about it is the in-line remote that has a built in soundcard to emulate Dolby 7.1 and provide physical mic and sound volume controls.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    I have a logitech g430 headset that I was disappointed in since games sounded weird until I went and disabled surround in the logitech software settings. Now I can actually tell what direction voices/sounds where coming from in games instead of everything just kind of being disembodied.

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Id reccomend like a 10$ stand mic from monoprice and then spend what ever you want on the headphones

They'll weigh less and you can get better sound quality

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Id reccomend like a 10$ stand mic from monoprice and then spend what ever you want on the headphones

Do you have a suggested microphone?

• Options
    I can't imagine using a stand microphone for a game, It seems like the stand would obscure my vision of the screen too much.

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular

Do you have a suggested microphone?

Oh right I got two for 10 in case one broke

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2925

Its what I use and had it for over a year now with no complaints, the swivel screw thing is plastic but when it fails Ill just tape it up right

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    I've always hated stand-alone microphones.

They pick up too much sound since you need to have the sensitivity cranked to capture your voice usually.

• Options
    I think I finally want to setup some better password management stuff.

anyone got recommendations for me? I want something free and not particularly hard to use.

• Options
    1password is what I use, it's my favorite of the bunch

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »
    I think I finally want to setup some better password management stuff.

anyone got recommendations for me? I want something free and not particularly hard to use.

For the first, I honestly do love my kindle paperwhite, though I miss the buttons on the old kindle sometimes, tapping the screen is not too bad. It's been going about 5 years strong now. And if you get the version with ads, there is a trick in that it can only update them when you turn on the wifi. So if you are like me and just buy a bunch of books at once, update, then don't turn on the wifi again, it eventually runs out of ads for you, because amazon aint showing you ads for free.

For password management I use keepass, and an app on my phone and sync the whole thing through dropbox, but I'm sure someone can tell you if they are nefarious. They are free though.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular

@TrippyJing kindle paperwhite still where it's at
    no need for the fanciest one, that one is solid

poo
  • Options
    Isn't there some thing about 1password possibly going to a pay model? I saw Will Smith talking about not being happy with that in twitter last night.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Anyone got recommendations for a good e-reader?

Having helped many patrons with various emedia devices, I'd recommend a Kindle. They appear to be winning the format war, Amazon's delivery service works with pretty much every other ebook delivery service out there, and they have reached Apple levels of Just Working.

If all you want to do is read books, grab the latest Kindle Paperwhite. They're light, a joy to use, and since they're e-ink instead of an illuminated display, you can use them for days and days without recharging them and they're easier on the eyes than any other display.

If you also want to browse the internet, pick up a Kindle Fire. They're actually cheaper than a Paperwhite, and while the battery won't last as long and the text won't be as crisp, you can also use them as a basic tablet when you have access to WiFi.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I wanna say all the ones with apps that have you keep a file in a dropbox or whatever (which I don't even use anymore) were too complicated for me?

How is lastpass, that one seems really easy to use?

• Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Anyone got recommendations for a good e-reader?

Having helped many patrons with various emedia devices, I'd recommend a Kindle. They appear to be winning the format war, Amazon's delivery service works with pretty much every other ebook delivery service out there, and they have reached Apple levels of Just Working.

If all you want to do is read books, grab the latest Kindle Paperwhite. They're light, a joy to use, and since they're e-ink instead of an illuminated display, you can use them for days and days without recharging them and they're easier on the eyes than any other display.

If you also want to browse the internet, pick up a Kindle Fire. They're actually cheaper than a Paperwhite, and while the battery won't last as long and the text won't be as crisp, you can also use them as a basic tablet when you have access to WiFi.

I too would recommend a Kindle Paperwhite if you just want to read books.

• Options
    Isn't there some thing about 1password possibly going to a pay model? I saw Will Smith talking about not being happy with that in twitter last night.

Yeah I prefer it because it's less annoying than the other ones. $2 a month is a small price to pay to never have to deal with changing literally every password everytime something gets hacked (every week).

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    My new phone may arrive today

However, I ordered some other items earlier in the week, and they were delivered somewhere other than my apartment.

Some of the items arrived, one of the items says delivered, but it's nowhere to be found

I hope I get my phone

I need to contact Amazon again today if the missing box doesn't show up

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    My new phone arrived yesterday

Cept now I'm 700 miles away :rotate:

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Uriel wrote: »
    I wanna say all the ones with apps that have you keep a file in a dropbox or whatever (which I don't even use anymore) were too complicated for me?

How is lastpass, that one seems really easy to use?

I've been using Lastpass for 3-4 years now and it's perfect for me. They've even dropped the premium paid model for mobile app use, so you can use it completely free. I still pay for it though because it's $12 a year and they do a good job. The one time they got hacked, it was access to their office environment and it's physically separate and had no chance of reaching their storage database.

The Android app works 99% of the time, popping up and autofilling into apps, Chrome websites, and ties into my fingerprint reader as well. The Chrome plugin works all the time, and even offers extra options for notes (keeping track of question/answer if you don't actually give answers to those weak security questions) and form filling.

I tried the whole independent software with synchronizing my own password database with Dropbox and all, but Lastpass is just so convenient. The only real change I made was modifying the default iteration number to something unique.

I've never tried using the two factor with Yubikey or anything though.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I use KeePass and it works great. Dropbox synch is automatic in both pc and mobile so it does not take much to get it setup. It does not do auto fill though. Copy and paste only as far as I know on mobile.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    quietjayquietjay Indianapolis, INRegistered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    It does not do auto fill though. Copy and paste only as far as I know on mobile.

On Android Keepass2Android has a keyboard so you can enter username and password with a button press instead of copy/paste.

Become a Star Citizen
  • Options
    intropintrop Registered User regular
    LastPass has been my most hassle-free one so far. My wife and I have been using it for a few years, paying for it for two, and I've very few complaints. I have a pair of Yubikeys for 2fa for it and that works fine.

Steam ID: highentropy
This discussion has been closed.