As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Juicero Memorial [Tech Thread]

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Yeah, they hired him (Jeff Jones) like 6 months ago to try and improve their public image, as he had previously worked on rebranding Target.

He cited "incompatible leadership styles" or something like that as his reason for leaving. I'm guessing that he and the CEO were butting heads all the time.

Jeff: Try to be less of an arsehole maybe?
    CEO: No.
    Jeff: Welp.

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Well, it shows that a driver intervened every 0.8 miles. Whether or not they had to or just didn't trust the car is a completely different figure.

I know when we got a self-steering rig for our tractor fifteen years ago, I spent the first couple of months fighting with the damn thing because it was performing precision maneuvers that looked wrong to my eyes, since I would put a much greater margin of error on a turn at the expense of a straight furrow. After I started trusting it, my interventions dropped by a couple of orders of magnitude.

Granted, the mistakes the tractor was making had basically zero consequence, so I'd want a human driver to be much more leery of a self-driving car's decisions, but that report in no way suggests that the drivers were actually in danger every 0.8 miles.

The next stage of programming might be to make self-driving cars maneuver in ways that feel better to human passengers, rather than going for maximum precision and efficiency.

Thing is, Uber stole their self driving technology from Google, and Google gets more than 5000 miles per disengagement. So what the Uber numbers show is that they are dramatically behind (like, nearly 10,000x), even if not all of those disengagements were life-threatening. This makes sense, given that stealing an extremely complex piece of technology is not the same as inventing it.

sig.png
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Tossrock wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Well, it shows that a driver intervened every 0.8 miles. Whether or not they had to or just didn't trust the car is a completely different figure.

I know when we got a self-steering rig for our tractor fifteen years ago, I spent the first couple of months fighting with the damn thing because it was performing precision maneuvers that looked wrong to my eyes, since I would put a much greater margin of error on a turn at the expense of a straight furrow. After I started trusting it, my interventions dropped by a couple of orders of magnitude.

Granted, the mistakes the tractor was making had basically zero consequence, so I'd want a human driver to be much more leery of a self-driving car's decisions, but that report in no way suggests that the drivers were actually in danger every 0.8 miles.

The next stage of programming might be to make self-driving cars maneuver in ways that feel better to human passengers, rather than going for maximum precision and efficiency.

Thing is, Uber stole their self driving technology from Google, and Google gets more than 5000 miles per disengagement. So what the Uber numbers show is that they are dramatically behind (like, nearly 10,000x), even if not all of those disengagements were life-threatening. This makes sense, given that stealing an extremely complex piece of technology is not the same as inventing it.

Fascinating!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Just moved into a house built in the late 50s... Wondering what the odds are that the few three prong outlets in the house aren't properly grounded before plugging in several thousands worth of computer into them

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Just moved into a house built in the late 50s... Wondering what the odds are that the few three prong outlets in the house aren't properly grounded before plugging in several thousands worth of computer into them

That is not a bet I would like to take.

• Options
    intropintrop Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Well, you've good instincts and it's easy enough to test.

introp on
    Steam ID: highentropy
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    introp wrote: »

Yeah man, just grab a fork and get to work, the old fashioned way.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

But hey, at least the wiring is probably actually copper! Cloth wrapped and thus a fire hazard, but whatevs.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I think it is actually illegal to put a three prong plate on a socket that is not actually grounded. Not that it will necessarily stop someone from doing so.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Got myself a Huawei Nova. Compared to my old S4 mini it's pretty snazzy. Battery lasts sooo much longer.

That the UI has no app drawer is the most perplexing design decision I've encountered so far though.

I might install Nova launcher anyway for the extra options and designs but I guess that won't help with the app dawer?

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Got myself a Huawei Nova. Compared to my old S4 mini it's pretty snazzy. Battery lasts sooo much longer.

That the UI has no app drawer is the most perplexing design decision I've encountered so far though.

I might install Nova launcher anyway for the extra options and designs but I guess that won't help with the app dawer?

Nova launcher has an app drawer.

• Options
    Grobian wrote: »

Nova launcher has an app drawer.

Good. I wasn't sure how much a different launcher would change the functions like that.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    What's an app drawer?

• Options
    What's an app drawer?

basically the folder where all your phone's apps are. Usually sortable and searchable. Huawei’s Emui UI doesn’t have that. All installed apps are on your start screens and if you want to remove them from there you have to actually uninstall them which you can’t do with some of the preinstalled apps.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular

Open up the cover plates and look for the copper wire attached near the top or bottom and where it goes. Houses that old it's likely grounded to the metal box, and the ground from the wire is also grounded to the box. If there's a ground. Sometimes it was just a two-pronged outlet and someone installed a grounded one and never installed new wire.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Who the fuck thought not having an apps drawer was a good idea?

• Options
    Karl wrote: »

Apple

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I've never had an Iphone so I had no idea that was a thing.

What do you do with apps you don't want on your home screen? Stick them in a folder and pretend they're not there?

• Options
    edited March 2017

What do you do with apps you don't want on your home screen? Stick them in a folder and pretend they're not there?

Yup. Toss them into a folder on page 5.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    The Moto G4 Play arrived. It's so nice and quick! So much better than my last phone.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options

Huawei also seems to have realized that because the next version of Emui for Android 7 has an app drawer. As the Nova is not a flagship phone I'm not sure it'll ever get that version though.

camera seems nice though and the professionol mode it has seems to provide better adjustment options than my older compact camera.

• Options

But hey, at least the wiring is probably actually copper! Cloth wrapped and thus a fire hazard, but whatevs.

it looks like the whole house was rewired at some point since original construction. i can see most of the circuits from the unfinished basement. no cloth. but the fact that 80% of the outlets are still 2-prong in the house makes me a little nervous

gonna go pick up a meter today so I can read them and make sure they're legit

it was literally the firs thing i noticed when I set down the first box in the office

• Options
    intropintrop Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    I think it is actually illegal to put a three prong plate on a socket that is not actually grounded. Not that it will necessarily stop someone from doing so.
    NEC disallows unlabeled ungrounded three prong outlets. You can replace two-prong outlets with three-prong if they're downstream of (protected by) a GFCI and have a big "no equipment ground" label on them.

(Having said that, I've seen a lot of unknowing / lazy / cheap building owners replace two-prong outlets with grounding-type outlets and either leave the ground disconnected or, less commonly, bond it to neutral right there. Ugh.)

Steam ID: highentropy
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    A lot of people have definitely bootlegged their ground to the neutral on renos.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

it looks like the whole house was rewired at some point since original construction. i can see most of the circuits from the unfinished basement. no cloth. but the fact that 80% of the outlets are still 2-prong in the house makes me a little nervous

it was literally the firs thing i noticed when I set down the first box in the office

As it should be
    bowen wrote: »
    A lot of people have definitely bootlegged their ground to the neutral on renos.

My favorite is when your microwave has too much wattage for the ground so if you use it more than 5 minutes it sets off the breaker cause it's unlabeled.

Oh wait is that just me in my last apartment

yeah

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

I highly recommend a three-light meter. They're cheap, unambiguous, and capable of diagnosing most wiring fuckery instantly.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    introp wrote: »

Yeah man, just grab a fork and get to work, the old fashioned way.

pfft a REAL MAN uses his COCK

jam your weiner into that rusty rocket

show your office who's boss

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »

As it should be

My favorite is when your microwave has too much wattage for the ground so if you use it more than 5 minutes it sets off the breaker cause it's unlabeled.

yeah

I mean

99% of the time you can bootleg the ground like that.

The exceptions are the kitchen and the bathroom.

That will kill someone someday, it's just a matter of when.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    There's actually an exception in most NEC codes for bootlegged ground because it was hyper common for renovations between the 70s and mid 90s, especially for large appliances like dryers, to the point where they had to make the exception.

• Options

As it should be

yeah

I mean

99% of the time you can bootleg the ground like that.

The exceptions are the kitchen and the bathroom.

That will kill someone someday, it's just a matter of when.

The place was a condo my landlords bought in an old apartment complex that the management left. That old apt management apparently did it.

Let my landlords know after we moved out (after three years there case neither my roommate nor I cared we didn't use the microwave enough) and told them how to fix the problem.

They gave me an extra 100 back on my deposit cause I straight up went and fixed it for them when they asked.

It's no wonder that old management company went out of business.

• Options
    There's actually an exception in most NEC codes for bootlegged ground because it was hyper common for renovations between the 70s and mid 90s, especially for large appliances like dryers, to the point where they had to make the exception.

Yeah the newer dryers have to be changed with an adapter now specifically because of that problem.

Which is fine until you end up with an older dryer and the home depot doesn't have the adapter cause ???

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    What's an app drawer?

basically the folder where all your phone's apps are. Usually sortable and searchable. Huawei’s Emui UI doesn’t have that. All installed apps are on your start screens and if you want to remove them from there you have to actually uninstall them which you can’t do with some of the preinstalled apps.

Oh, ok

I know what you mean now

• Options

Yeah the newer dryers have to be changed with an adapter now specifically because of that problem.

Which is fine until you end up with an older dryer and the home depot doesn't have the adapter cause ???

It's a fucking nightmare too.

My dad and I used to fix up houses (he'd buy HUD houses for cheap and resell them fixed up). But the problem with most HUD houses is they're auction based, and you don't really get to inspect them before you buy them (but you can buy houses for like 10-20 grand). You should see the shit some people do with renovations.

• Options
    Hm, Apple made a few changes to their iOS device line-up this morning:

•The iPhone 7/7+ now come in red aluminum.
    •The iPad Air 2 has been replaced with "iPad", same dimensions as the iPad Air 1, A9 SOC (vs A8X in the Air 2), $329.
    •iPhone SE prices stay the same, but storage at each level has been doubled.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Yup. Toss them into a folder on page 5.

You can remove the icons for the built in apps now (as of iOS 10) so it's not so bad.

Until your mum rings up and says 'I thought there was a calendar on here but there's not and I tried to download one on the app store but it's asking all these questions' so she invites you around for dinner as long as you spend 2 minutes signing her up to the app store to restore the icons.

Which is also not so bad, so.. good job apple I guess?

pimento on
  • Options
    same dimensions as the iPad Air 1

for a second I thought this said same dimensions as "iPad 1" and I almost shit myself

A9 is a fine chip. That's a pretty good value

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Hm, Apple made a few changes to their iOS device line-up this morning:

•The iPhone 7/7+ now come in red aluminum.
    •The iPad Air 2 has been replaced with "iPad", same dimensions as the iPad Air 1, A9 SOC (vs A8X in the Air 2), $329.
    •iPhone SE prices stay the same, but storage at each level has been doubled.

Wait, what? There was an Apple© Event™ and not a whisper was heard on the internet?

• Options
    same dimensions as the iPad Air 1

for a second I thought this said same dimensions as "iPad 1" and I almost shit myself

A9 is a fine chip. That's a pretty good value

I would not be unhappy if Apple started doing "retro" chunky tech. I kind of miss when tech had weight to it.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    VeGAaLph.jpg

lookit that fat babby

Brolo on
  • Options
    firewire, chief amongst the hipster cables

This discussion has been closed.