As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PokemonGO] Now with weather effects!

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Maybe I'll finally be able to get a Porygon soon. That's a perk. Solo Raiding hooooooooooooooo!

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Waffen wrote: »
    Maybe I'll finally be able to get a Porygon soon. That's a perk. Solo Raiding hooooooooooooooo!

They hatch from 10k eggs. Got one the other day, unfortunately it was the day after the event ended so despite it being the second I've hatched I'm like 5 candy short of an porygon 2.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I finally walked my one sandshrew into a sandslash

Took a couple months

Now on to alakhazam, machamp, and a few others

I was getting ready to do this but now I think I'll just capture a raid one!

I literally finished getting him two days before that announcement =/

• Options
    SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    How do you catch high CP/rare pokemon? I've missed on my first-ever encountered Charizard recently throwing countless Razz Berries and Ultra Balls at them. And I hardly ever get these things from Pokestops, so now I have no supply to try again if I ever encounter something like that again. I'm trainer lvl 22, so maybe at higher levels I'll get better items. Still...this is getting incredibly frustrating that I can't catch anything worthwhile even with my best items :(

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Smoogy wrote: »
    How do you catch high CP/rare pokemon? I've missed on my first-ever encountered Charizard recently throwing countless Razz Berries and Ultra Balls at them. And I hardly ever get these things from Pokestops, so now I have no supply to try again if I ever encounter something like that again. I'm trainer lvl 22, so maybe at higher levels I'll get better items. Still...this is getting incredibly frustrating that I can't catch anything worthwhile even with my best items :(

Always try to land a great or better curveball. For tough pokes I recommend using the method where you hold the ball to "preset" the circle to about half size. Then wait for an attack animation and time your throw to land as the attack animation ends. You will need to be patient, but landing great or better curveballs really ups your catch chance.

Other things that help are Razz Berries, Golden Razz Berries (from winning raid battles) and having the gold fire medal from catching 200 fire type pokemon.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    Thanks for the tips! Any advice for solo raids? I finally beat one with Charmeleon as the leader...but I couldn't catch him with the premiere balls I earned. I guess people join raid groups or something?

I am only just playing again after only playing during the big flurry last summer, so it's all new to me!!!

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Smoogy wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips! Any advice for solo raids? I finally beat one with Charmeleon as the leader...but I couldn't catch him with the premiere balls I earned. I guess people join raid groups or something?

I am only just playing again after only playing during the big flurry last summer, so it's all new to me!!!

Unfortunately raid groups don't really help with catching the raid Pokemon -- that bit's always done solo. And they're usually harder to catch than normal, sometimes much more so -- it's pretty normal to not be able to catch a legendary on the first (or second, or third) go since the rate's so low. The only thing you can do is berry, curveball, aim, pray.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Rare candy taking up bag space was the worst decision ever. I appreciate they needed a place to put it, but why does it have to take up space!

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    Just had an EX Raid pass show up! It’s for next Sunday :o

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Nobody posted about the new event? That's a chance for world wide farfetched!

https://pokemongolive.com/en/post/pokemongotravel
    NOW till Nov 26 - catch as many Pokemon as you can

Depending on the number of Pokemon caught worldwide, different level of bonuses is unlocked:

500 million - bronze - 2x XP, 6 hr lure modules, more Pokemon encounters

1.5 billion - silver - 2x XP, 2x stardust, 6 hr lures, even more Pokemon encounters

3 billion - gold - 2x XP, 2x stardust, 6 hr lures, Farfetch'd worldwide for 48 hours, Kangaskhan in East Asia for 48 hours

Rewards are unlocked shortly after reaching each milestone and will last until December 1st at 1 P.M PST

Also, a note from NianticIndigo about upcoming feature changes:

We still have more information to share about upcoming feature changes, but it may be a few more days. Stay tuned. ~source

Update: Some of previously unclear points were clarified:

challenge starts NOW

Rewards are unlocked shortly after reaching each milestone and will last until December 1st at 1 P.M. PST

Note that if the goal is at all reachable then the bronze tier should unlock after 24 hours, so that's a long time for double XP.

Grobian on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I'm finally free of this game. I uninstalled it for the first time over the weekend. Hopefully their next game (Harry Potter) is a bit more fleshed out at release.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    I'm finally free of this game. I uninstalled it for the first time over the weekend. Hopefully their next game (Harry Potter) is a bit more fleshed out at release.

why the hell would anyone give niantic a good property again?

• Options

They are the only AR game in town? Or there was that new knockoff game that had like dragons instead of pokemon?

But really, PoGo was insanely successful and still makes money, so why wouldn't anyone give them another license? It's not like anyone thinks less of the Pokemon brand because they dislike this game.

• Options
    Grobian wrote: »

They are the only AR game in town? Or there was that new knockoff game that had like dragons instead of pokemon?

But really, PoGo was insanely successful and still makes money, so why wouldn't anyone give them another license? It's not like anyone thinks less of the Pokemon brand because they dislike this game.

yeah, but it was only successful because it was pokemon

how well did ingress do? I had never heard of it or niantic till pokemongo launched

• Options
    Ingress was good enough to get them the PoGo license. It's still popular, they still run events for it etc. I don't know if they still break a million active players, but I think PoGo has probably driven more players to Ingress (because the game itself has more meat on it)

• Options
    Grobian wrote: »

Hell, the game caused interest in Pokemon in general to go up, judging by the somewhat boosted amount of 3DS systems Nintendo sold.

• Options

I literally have no clue, but I guess if you look at the revenue brought in then that's a good enough reason.

• Options

I literally have no clue, but I guess if you look at the revenue brought in then that's a good enough reason.

what's that revenue look like now I wonder

I certainly won't get a HP game by niantic and I like HP way more than I like pokemon

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular

What else do you think that companies look at besides revenue?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options

if it was me personally, I'd look into seeing if a different company could make even more money by making a less crappy game!

pokemonGo has made a lot of money! How much MORE money could it have made by being a better game I wonder

• Options

You're right. I operated under the assumption that the game would still have a majority of it's players if it wasn't for the boneheaded design choices (removing the tracker, reducing the speed to find pokemon, etc).

Perhaps they'll take the lessons learned into the HP game, but I have my doubts.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Yeah my reaction to the Harry Potter thing was that they don't have the resources to manage Pokemon GO and now they want to manage another one?

I really wish someone else had made this game, because I want to like it. But I just don't anymore. The sad thing is if they do release Farfetched I will probably boot it up just to catch one. Even though it will never happen, it would be nice to complete the gen 1 dex. You know, except for the legendaries I'll never get or Aerodactyl or enough candies for Dragonite...

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    If they had started out with the 7-day rolling bonus and evolution stones from the get-go I think we’d be having a different discussion right now…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    If they had started out with the 7-day rolling bonus and evolution stones from the get-go I think we’d be having a different discussion right now…

nah

the real problems are:

pokestop speed change (can no longer spin while moving over 15-25 mph depending on how fast the game imagines you're going)

terrible gps leading to rubberbanding, improper placement, and disappearing pokemon

terrible location tracking making it take 2-3x longer to get walking candy than it should (again, depending on how fast the game thinks you may or may not be moving)

garbage RNG (if I use the best pokeball and get a great or excellent curveball, I should get the damn pokemon!)

legendary implementation (all of it. especially if you live in a rural area)

random pokemon being on unavailable continents (making 'catching them all' literally impossible)

crappy pokemon being in eggs (since they already take a million years to get, at least make them decent!)

probably a few more, but those are just the problems that spring to mind

• Options

nah

the real problems are:

pokestop speed change (can no longer spin while moving over 15-25 mph depending on how fast the game imagines you're going)

terrible gps leading to rubberbanding, improper placement, and disappearing pokemon

terrible location tracking making it take 2-3x longer to get walking candy than it should (again, depending on how fast the game thinks you may or may not be moving)

garbage RNG (if I use the best pokeball and get a great or excellent curveball, I should get the damn pokemon!)

legendary implementation (all of it. especially if you live in a rural area)

random pokemon being on unavailable continents (making 'catching them all' literally impossible)

crappy pokemon being in eggs (since they already take a million years to get, at least make them decent!)

probably a few more, but those are just the problems that spring to mind

Yeah these are my biggest issues. The GPS stuff especially because it just makes the game so unplayable as Pokemon will just constantly disappear because I see my character flying around the map even though I'm standing still.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Wow, when even @urahonky has quit this game you know it's bad (don't mean it in a bad way, but I remember you being one of the most optimistic ones here back when I was already griping about the game months ago). I've only opened the game a few times since then though it's still on my phone.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    The Harry Potter thing really irritates me.

Supposedly, they have created a whole new team to create, operate, and maintain Harry Potter. So it isn't as if they are stealing any resources away from Pokemon Go. But the problem is, instead of hiring a new team, the resources from HP should have gone to make the PKGO team larger. It takes them like 3 months to push out simple bug fix patches. And those bug fix patches are always attached to new features that introduce new bugs. They need to expand their PKGO team, and operate with two teams, one that does fixes and maintenance on existing software, and one that introduces new features, events, and so forth.

• Options
    It'd also be cool if they'd send out event notifications sometime before the event instead of the day before it ends

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular

I don't think this specifically is the issue with the game, but I think it is widely true: the game was pretty clearly rushed out in order to capitalize on summer + promote Pokemon Sun/Moon coming out in the fall. It did both of these things, and it seems to have done them very well. There were a bunch of features that weren't quite polished enough to be presentable, and a number of features that were obviously missing (like the above).

For comparison's sake, I'd like to see the lifespan and userbase and revenue of Pokemon GO compared to other more typical mobile games. I have to imagine that Pokemon GO still completely bucks the trend because of how insanely flash in the pan popular it was, and I think a lot of the drop-off in player base is simply because a lot of the people playing at launch aren't the kind of people who are ready for the long haul. But you still have to wonder how many more people would still be playing if the game had launched more feature-complete, and if Niantic had been able to do a better job of keeping the game updated and addressing fan issues.

For the record, I still really like the game. It's not perfect and I understand people's frustrations with it (and if you are not having fun, just quit!), but it's a fun diversion while I am doing errands, and a social outing for raids, etc.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    I still play and enjoy collecting, but I'll be damned if I'll give them another dime.

They haven't made the game better since I donated to them, in fact, the game has been consistently worse.

I'd be interested not just in the amount of people still playing, but in the people still paying

• Options
    I still play and enjoy collecting, but I'll be damned if I'll give them another dime.

They haven't made the game better since I donated to them, in fact, the game has been consistently worse.

I'd be interested not just in the amount of people still playing, but in the people still paying

Ah, this might be the root of our differences, I've put less than $10 into the game since it launched, though most of that has been since Raids launched this summer.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I have spent $0 on this or any free-to-play game. I'm still playing the game from time to time, though I moved to a smaller town/rural area recently, so we'll see how that effects things.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    I changed jobs and there's nothing around where I work so I haven't logged in over a month. This happened shortly after I accidentally washed my poke watch. I figured it was time. None of the legendary Pokémon after gen 1 interest me. In fact gen 1 is the only Pokémon that had its claws in me. Every one since is enjoyable but not lasting.

• Options
    I changed jobs and there's nothing around where I work so I haven't logged in over a month. This happened shortly after I accidentally washed my poke watch. I figured it was time. None of the legendary Pokémon after gen 1 interest me. In fact gen 1 is the only Pokémon that had its claws in me. Every one since is enjoyable but not lasting.

Yeah, gen 2 sort of got me back in for awhile, but gen 1 was always my favorite. Considering gen 3 is literally the gen that got me to quit pokemon for years, preeeeeeetty sure they aren't going to replicate me coming back when gen 3 rolls out this time.

And here's the thing too. For awhile I was sort of having fun again because I had basically learned how nests work, so it was like "Ok, even without a tracker (and Niantic determined to shut down any sites that implemented one while also making the game buggier in the process - I seriously got one of their dumb captchas once just sitting in a parking lot) at least I have a real way to track down specific pokemon I want." And that was fun - I got to see some new parks I hadn't visited before, spawns were usually higher there, it was neat (assuming the gps worked at a given park anyways). But that only lasts for so long before you've caught all the nesting pokemon and evolved them (there actually aren't *that* many that can nest). And then the game gets boring again because the ones you need are impossible to get, on top of not working right most of the time and eating my phone batteries - and seriously, on that note, I just had to get a new phone because my old one's battery was basically shot (and it was a hassle to just replace so it seemed more worthwhile to just upgrade anyway)... the thing would die at like 60% power and basically only lasted about an hour... that's 100% because of Pokemon GO and leaving the god damn game on for so long, because god forbid the thing work in the background like literally every other app...

But what really, really made me not like the game I think were raids. Raids were like this perfect storm that exemplified all the issues I had with the game. First, you've got Niantic working on this huge new feature when the game is still basically broken and missing core features like tracking. Second, it's been like a year and this is one of the ONLY big features they've even added since launch outside of gen 2 stuff despite them making an Uncle Scrooge Money Bin's worth of cash. Third, it's once again Niantic treating the game as if everyone was living in San Francisco where there are gyms everywhere and hundreds of people always wanting to hang out and play the game together (and I'm sorry, I know Niantic wants their game to bring everyone together, yada yada, but I am extremely shy and meeting up with complete strangers I met on the internet just seems like a terrifying prospect to me... so basically it felt like they were pushing me out because "this is how you play now"). And then they added time limited legendaries and the god-awful EX Raid Passes with about the dumbest implementation I have ever seen (seriously, you realize people have jobs and lives Niantic, right? You can't just dictate when and where they will show up for a raid...).

Sorry, I was feeling ranty :P I think the Farfetch'd thing has made me mad because I had made my peace with giving up the game, but then they do little things like that where it's like, well if I don't boot it up again I might miss this thing I've wanted since the game launches! Not that I'll ever see a Farfetch'd of course...

• Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    I think my experience must be different to a lot of people on here. I'm still playing the game every day and enjoying it, but like TDawg I've never put any money into it. I just use it when I'm out, spin some stops, catch whatever comes along. Sometimes it's just a day of rats and pigeons, but sometimes I might see something cool - the last Phanpy I need to evolve a second Donphan, or whatever. As a casual player, that's a good day.

I still have a few gen 1 pokemon to capture (still haven't seen a Sandshrew anywhere, so it's just a number in the dex, stupid little desert rat) and some more gen 2s - I'll get Tyranitar eventually, it'll just take time. I've only ever seen one shiny pokemon, so that's another load of cool things I still haven't seen. So maybe that's part of why I'm OK with it - I still have things to do that I can eventually achieve, and I don't need to spend money to do it.

I don't really care about raiding - if I can solo a low-level one I'll do it, but I've accepted I'll never complete the 'dex, so I'm not bothered about legendaries.

I have a pokestop I can sit and spin from my desk, which helps with items. I have a few gyms near both work and home that I can get a slot in pretty easily, and that means I can get coins to buy incubators for my eggs. And if an egg has a boring pokemon in, so what? The next one might be something good! I finally got a Cleffa yesterday, and my first Magby only last week. That's just how the RNG goes.

I don't really experience the wild swings of the GPS that I hear others talk about, but when I do I get to spin a few stops I might not otherwise reach, getting a few new ones and the extra XP into the bargain.

I don't know if my location makes a difference to the experience? I'm in a smallish city in the UK, and once you're in any kind of central area there are gyms and stops everywhere - a church, an old bit of wall, a park gate, a historic fishmonger, whatever. It sounds like that might not be the case in other places.

And now we've got Gen 3 on the way, which was the first game I actually owned myself, so I've got a fondness for it that is probably way out of line with its actual quality. I'm looking forward to catching a Grabinch, though knowing my luck it'll be my Sandshrew for Gen 3.

• Options
    Apparently players have already caught half a billion Pokemon, so double XP and the six-hour timer on incense are a go. Looks like worldwide Farfetch'd will happen.

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Tried to solo a Porygon Raid. Did not go well. He was at 50% by the time I hit the 30 second marker. Probably will need to research more on proper comp building before I try that again.

• Options
    I tried too

got him down to about 30%

I have no fighting pokes because no fighting pokes spawn near me

• Options
    I tried too

got him down to about 30%

I have no fighting pokes because no fighting pokes spawn near me

After playing continuously since launch, my Fighting Type roster is:

Weak Hitmonlee
    Weak Hitmonchan
    4 reasonable or high-level Machamp from Raids (with extra candy from eggs)
    Primeape (eggs)

Really, there just aren't a lot of good, common Fighting Types in the game right now. Hopefully Gen 3 will change that a bit with the addition of Breloom and Hariyama.

• Options
    oh I didn't realize primeape was a fighting type (thought he was normal)

I have one fighting type!