As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PokemonGO] Now with weather effects!

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I'm level 26 (about 20K from level 27). Caught 119, Seen 130. I'm in the Dayton, Ohio area and I'm on Mystic which is definitely not the dominant team in town. Valor is the team of choice around here... then Mystic, then Instinct.

I play primarily for the exercise. Catching them all is a close second (with the buddy system in place it really motivates me to get out there and walk). Plus it's kinda peaceful to take a 30 minute walk while at work and just flick the screen a bit and forget about my shit job and my stressful home life. It's basically my quiet time.

Admittedly I haven't played the game nearly as much in the past 3 weeks... I hurt my back really bad a few weekends ago and walking longer than 30 minutes brings my pain up to a 5 or 6 on the pain scale.

• ChenChen Registered User regular
    Dracil wrote: »
    Yeah, I barely even log into this game anymore. They broke the skinner box by removing the only somewhat viable end-game goal there was in the game. I don't even really see the point of leveling any pokemons anymore because it doesn't even matter, as the biggest reason back then was the CP ladder, and if there's no reason to level pokemon, there's no reason to bother with stardust, or catching pokemon, and if there's no reason to bother catching pokemon, there's no reason to fight gyms for coins for incubators for elusive pokemon.

I'm curious though @urahonky. What level, pokedex completion, and team dominance (are you the dominant team in your area?) and what's your purpose for playing the game now since you seem to be the most enthused of all of us at playing the game now.
    I'm in an sub urban city and I can hold gyms for a few days maybe a week (I'm Instinct so not the dominant team.) I'm lvl. 32 and I can still claim 100 coins every day. I have to work a bit and train gyms but it's alright.

V0Gug2h.png
  • ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    Chen wrote: »
    Dracil wrote: »
    Yeah, I barely even log into this game anymore. They broke the skinner box by removing the only somewhat viable end-game goal there was in the game. I don't even really see the point of leveling any pokemons anymore because it doesn't even matter, as the biggest reason back then was the CP ladder, and if there's no reason to level pokemon, there's no reason to bother with stardust, or catching pokemon, and if there's no reason to bother catching pokemon, there's no reason to fight gyms for coins for incubators for elusive pokemon.

I'm curious though @urahonky. What level, pokedex completion, and team dominance (are you the dominant team in your area?) and what's your purpose for playing the game now since you seem to be the most enthused of all of us at playing the game now.
    I'm in an sub urban city and I can hold gyms for a few days maybe a week (I'm Instinct so not the dominant team.) I'm lvl. 32 and I can still claim 100 coins every day. I have to work a bit and train gyms but it's alright.

I'm in DC and it's impossible for anyone to hold anything now. Mystic has come out of this patch in the best shape (of course) because they are legion, but even for them the highest I'm seeing is level 7, and those are rare.

Instinct survived here only because we had team work and organization. That was the only way any of us were able to hold 10 gyms. We were constantly getting attacked by Mystics trying to expand their turf and Valors butthurt that they couldn't hold any turf at all, but we held our ground.

In the week since the patch the gyms we controlled have all gotten wiped and the Instinct DC facebook page has effectively died. Between this and the death blow to trackers, people are quitting in droves. Some diehards trying to keep the flame going but it's pretty dire.

Me, I'm still playing on my bus commute but definitely less than I used to. This is a solo player's game now, not the social game it once was for me. Kind of a bummer but there you go.

3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    I live in suburban California, about 50 miles north of San Francisco. I work in a relatively isolated office park. I can see two gyms from my desk. Since the most recent tuning, I've never seen either of them stay the same color for longer than 20 minutes. This morning, the further of the two (at a post office) was a level 10 gym with the lowest defender at 2300CP. It has changed teams three times so far today. The closer of the two is at a United Way office and it has flip-flopped five times in the last seven hours.

26904.png
  • DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    I find it interesting, the closest gym to my house, hasn't changed. It was never stuck at level 10 for either team. It goes up, it goes down.

All the patches haven't changed how this gym acts.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Fwiw the only thing killing my interest in this game is the repeated nerfs to playing on public transport. First (way back) the changed the "pokemon scan rate" or whatever you want to call it, so it wasn't possible anymore to catch mons from the train (light rail, basically an overground subway) to work. This got even worse and now I was barely able to sometimes catch something in a select few stations on the way. And then recently they changed it so I can't even spin stops anymore, which means I'm not opening the app anymore on my commute.

I'm squarely in "gonna catch em all" and I was never into the "endgame" of gyms, though. That is partly because I just don't have the time to exclusively devote to this game and partly because I never lucked into any of the good pokemon that get sufficiently high CP to be able to compete.

I still open the app when I go somewhere by foot and I'm still catching pokemon and evolving some I still need, but they deliberately cut like 1.5hours a day from my playtime, which is almost all of it.

• LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    I'm going to Bali in 2 weeks. Fingers crossed I can catch a Farfetch'd!

Lail wrote: »
    I'm going to Bali in 2 weeks. Fingers crossed I can catch a Farfetch'd!

Good luck!

• DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    I got an aradyctal last night. Woot!

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    The changing gyms is better, I prefer fighting against enemy gyms than training up my own teams. However near my house is a bit of a circuit of 3 (you can stretch it to 5 if you wanted two) gyms within which there are 2 pokestops (3 but, one is in the middle of a club that you can only access if you are part of that club - bit of a stupid spot). So I am super low on potions and getting low on revives. I used to spend so much time complaining about getting nothing but potions and revives but now I can't get enough of the bastards!

Plus the changing gyms actually gets me out and walking (running), have to go and catch them back instead of them sitting there for days. Definitely more spawns now than there was when I was going out about 2 months ago.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
    Has anyone noticed an increase in Pikachus? I have been playing daily since release and caught maybe 3 or 4 total so far... Today, while walking around the skate park, I caught 5 of them.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed an increase in Pikachus? I have been playing daily since release and caught maybe 3 or 4 total so far... Today, while walking around the skate park, I caught 5 of them.

lucky

Xaquin wrote: »

lucky

Yeah.. The other reason I ask is because my buddy sent me a text because he finally caught a Pikachu today.

• TaranisTaranis Registered User regular

Maybe that park is a pikachu nest. Another nest migration happened yesterday.

EH28YFo.jpg
    Pikachu is probably the only non-evolved and not super rare Pokemon I'm still missing. I had 3 flee from me, even.

And yeah, if you catch 5 of the same Pokemon in quick succession in the same area, then it's probably a nest. The nest I frequent most changed from Ponyta to Pinsir this week. I got enough Ponytas in the last two weeks to evolve one, which is good. Now to just evade all the Pinsirs until the next migration :smile:

Taranis wrote: »

Ohh I didn't think of that. I'll go back there again today and see if they keep spawning. If so then I'll make sure to post on reddit.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I need to go check the big park by me if there was a nest shift. Previously it was a Seel nest. I was able to go from 0 Seel candy to evolving a Dewgong in two trips out there.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Taranis wrote: »

Ohh I didn't think of that. I'll go back there again today and see if they keep spawning. If so then I'll make sure to post on reddit.

though I have actually had a slight uptick in pikachus

camo_sig.png
    I have had a massive uptick in venonats and ekans

which I don't need or want

I haven't seen an uncommon pokemon for my area since the halloween event

• LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    I could use some ekans. I've only caught one and hatched one this entire time.

Venonats can diaf.

Venonats can diaf.

maybe you need one of those bug zappers

camo_sig.png
    Yeah it's been a confirmed Pikachu nest. Caught 5 yesterday and 5 again today. Coworker went at lunch and caught another 5.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

Venonats can diaf.
    You can have some of mine. They're more common than pidgeys here

steam_sig.png
  • edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    I must say, the pokemon walking and daily streaks have been getting me back into the game. I play it super regularly nowadays. Since I mainly play for the sake of Dex filling, I'm good.

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Got a second snorlax today. This one was 1100. My first one was 300.

I guess I'm getting there....

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I've gotten 4, and none of them have been over 1k :(

steam_sig.png
  • ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    Well, I may not be able to hold onto gyms anymore but at least I can still troll the Valors in my neighborhood

bo6l2ob8efn8.png

3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
    Last night I came across a gym with a single cup 27 gengar. I cleared that and threw my 1400 gengar in.

camo_sig.png
    I've gotten my first snorlax today, hatched from an egg. It has 12/14/13 IVs which is good enough. Spending all it's candies made it my strongest pokemon right away and the first to clear 2k CP.

• TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Was staying at my friends over the weekend. They had a Snorlax at a pokestop down the street, but it was gone by the time I got my shoes on :(

Getting that 7 day item streak sure is satisfying for the item explosion.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Bad news: I just spent 15m trying to locate a porygon that spawned near work. Only to have it despawn right as I was zeroing in (it was in the ER as near as I can tell).

Good news: while i was walking around my 10k egg finally popped
    xgc48a3m7u6x.png

VishNub on
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

So they have figured out events are popular. That said, double XP and stardust is lame and isn't gonna make me turn the thing on more :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Warlock82 wrote: »

So they have figured out events are popular. That said, double XP and stardust is lame and isn't gonna make me turn the thing on more :P

why I agree that by itself is lame, I would bet they do something else

camo_sig.png
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    mts wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »

why I agree that by itself is lame, I would bet they do something else

That's all this event is. Eventually sure, but I'm saying, this event isn't going to make me play more. Increased pokemon spawns (or special spawns like Halloween) or candies are the better events :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Events like this help guys in the sticks like me =)

Though, more pokeballs would really be better.

edited November 2016
    Yeah double XP and Dust* is awesome. Though I'm a LITTLE annoyed that I just did my evolve spree on Friday to get to 27.

urahonky on
    Yeah double XP and Dust* is awesome. Though I'm a LITTLE annoyed that I just did my evolve spree on Friday to get to 27.

oh I hadn't even thought of evolves!

I have almost enough to do a full lucky egg too

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I only just found out that eggs are now colour coded. I've had nothing but 5kers for that long that I thought they were all orange now.

10k egg hype on!

MhCw7nZ.gif
    I hit up the Omanyte nest that was near my house and ended up with only about 4 of them. Then I hatched an egg and got a Kabuto! My missing dex entries is getting smaller.

I've never heard of nor seen those pokemons =(

I'm at 98 of however many

If any new pokemons (or starters) ever spawned around my area it would be lovely!