As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PokemonGO] Now with weather effects!

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Damn, just missed out on a hitmonchan. Only threw one great ball before it ran.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Pokeballs are terrible anyway. Maybe if they sold ultra balls, it might be worth even entertaining the though

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I'm not sure who would buy Pokeballs aside people who have no/limited access to Pokestops.
    And I know I at least would have given up on this game if I was being milked for Pokeballs for that reason.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm sitting on 100/100/70 right now. I also have 130 Max Potions and about 60 Revives just in case the gym scene changes.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'm having to throw away 20 or so Pokeballs each day as it is.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm constantly throwing AWAY Pokeballs. I dunno who would buy them. Even rural people can probably stop at a Sprint store or something to spin for better

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    I'm stop starved...but I need at least great balls for that to be worth it.

I like to ART
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I'll admit that I got a pogo+, and its not uncommon for me to run into issues with running out of pokeballs. But that's because we don't have a ton of super dense stops around here.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I run out of balls fairly regularly. The area around my office has plenty of stops, but it unfortunately isn't the type of area I really want to be walking around playing on my phone...

My office itself is one, but I'm only in the office once or twice a week, and with the shitty GPS I'm usually out of range half the day despite being in the freaking building. It usually has me in the parking lot somewhere.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    It'd be nice if you could "trade" 20 pokeballs for 1 great ball, and 20 great balls for 1 ultra ball. I feel like that'd give Niantic some more money because people would be more likely to spend money on the balls.

• Options
    FYI, there's now a Magikarp mobile game. The goal of the game is to get your Magikarp to be the very best at jumping and not get killed horribly.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I downloaded Magikarp Jump. I don't get it. There's no interactivity here. You just click a button and then the game goes into a cutscene.

I was expecting to have to have some sort of skill-based system to get bigger/better jumps. But no. I just click a jump button and then the computer does the rest. Not very interactive.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I downloaded Magikarp Jump. I don't get it. There's no interactivity here. You just click a button and then the game goes into a cutscene.

I was expecting to have to have some sort of skill-based system to get bigger/better jumps. But no. I just click a jump button and then the computer does the rest. Not very interactive.

Are you playing the new mini-game, or Pokemon Go?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    I saw the shadow of a corsola tonight in Florida. So close and yet so far.

I like to ART
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Are online trackers still a no go?

Or alternatively did they ever put better tracking in? The talk of the GPS being shit doesn't fill me with confidence.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Or alternatively did they ever put better tracking in? The talk of the GPS being shit doesn't fill me with confidence.

They put the pokestop tracker thingy in. It doesn't really work that well, just shows the closest 9 common trash at pokestops, while ignoring the dragonite just a few steps away from you.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    This game feels awful logging in after a an awesome event like Rock Week.

No. I don't want to catch anymore fucking Insect or Bird Pokemon that are Murkrow, Pidgey, or the other Gen II ones I can't remember.

But I did like that Growlithe I found earlier. He can stay. 2 More candies till Arcanine!

• Options
    Yeah and I lost my gym. So I don't even bother logging in to the game anymore.

• Options
    So here we are. No event. Everyone has all the commons. How does Niantic keep people interested in the game, long term?

Chaining events is one solution. But is there something more they can do to engage the playerbase and keep people wanting to log in and play, even if there isn't an event happening?

Also - the Expedition Hat that we got for free from participating in Adventure Week is pretty rad. Too bad there isn't a matching outfit to go with it.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    At the start of the year niantic was talking about three (iirc) big things coming this year and the launch of gen2 was one of them. Next is supposedly a rework of the gym system. That could lead to more player engagement, if they manage to create something everyone can participate in.

Wasn't there also a tweet or blog post about a "legendary" summer recently? The one year anniversary is coming up fast...

And then probably gen 3.

Grobian on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    So here we are. No event. Everyone has all the commons. How does Niantic keep people interested in the game, long term?

Chaining events is one solution. But is there something more they can do to engage the playerbase and keep people wanting to log in and play, even if there isn't an event happening?
    Gen 3!

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options

Also - the Expedition Hat that we got for free from participating in Adventure Week is pretty rad. Too bad there isn't a matching outfit to go with it.

Doing away with how regional it is would help. Still make it so I need to be near water for water Pokémon and stuff like that, but it's somewhat of a put off that there are certain Pokémon I can only catch when I'm traveling out of state.

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

www.pokehuntr.com works most of the time.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular

I think seasonal Pokémon would make a lot of sense. Ghost Pokémon in October, Ice in January and February, bugs in the spring and summer. They could do that for gen 3, but the cat is already out of the bag of gen 1 and 2.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    KorhedronKorhedron Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm constantly throwing AWAY Pokeballs. I dunno who would buy them. Even rural people can probably stop at a Sprint store or something to spin for better

So I live at the edge of a small'ish city by other countries standards, and right at the border to rural territory. I have access to 6 pokestops within reasonable walking distance to work, 3 more within 3 km'ish radius of that, 3 more in the opposite dirction. I've been walking to work since launch, passing 4 stops to work, 6-8 on return.
    Before that was OK'ish. These days it's decidedly not. I need to go to the city centre to not constantly be at 20-30 balls or less. I allready ignore quite a few 'mons. There's just not that many balls recieved from the stops these days. And i refuse to sit idle at some place, spinning the same stop, goddamn it. I got the game to walk, not to sit on my arse.
    I desperately need a game more designed to rewarding me walking actual km, rather than hanging around at a few stops. Because that is a damn good, and enjoyable idea! But current setup seems to also be more prone to spoofing the GPS, to my mind. It also annoys me that people taking the bus, or just sitting at a cafe/job idly spinning has that much of an advantage to a game resource. The game was reputedly designed to keep people walking.
    But I'll bloody well never buy the balls. My word, those rates....

Also, I'd very much like some truly seasonal pokemon. The seasonal changes have worked well for Nintendo in similar "log on daily"-type games. Hello Animal crossing, please don't ever steal my time again...

Korhedron on
    These are the stories of Dwarf Fortress. Legends have been forged there, and meticulousy gathered in one mighty hub: http://dfstories.com/start-here/
  • Options
    Man now would be a good time for another company to make a good geo-location app that the starving PokemonGo players can cling to.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

unfuck their GPS would bring me back

I accept that I can't immediately have every poke, but at least let me hatch and walk some to get them.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    I'm really, really praying the gym revamp will actually give people who don't powerlevel and participate in raids the power and desire to actually fight in gyms and get more of a reward than seeing your Pokemon returned to you bruised and bloody 30 minutes later.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I'm really, really praying the gym revamp will actually give people who don't powerlevel and participate in raids the power and desire to actually fight in gyms and get more of a reward than seeing your Pokemon returned to you bruised and bloody 30 minutes later.

I held a gym for more than a day once. It was on a college campus, over christmas break.

Anyways, yeah, I take the gym at work once per day (assuming its not at level 5+ when I start), put in a weedle, collect my ten coins, and go on about my day. Which I think is literally minimal participation.

• Options
    LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    I wish one time use incubators could be collected from stops. Even if they had a low drop rate. It feels that outside of the events the only chance I have at getting new Pokemon is from eggs - and even then I seem to keep getting the same ol mons.

• Options
    VishNub wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I held a gym for more than a day once. It was on a college campus, over christmas break.

Anyways, yeah, I take the gym at work once per day (assuming its not at level 5+ when I start), put in a weedle, collect my ten coins, and go on about my day. Which I think is literally minimal participation.

I held one in a super small town that I was driving through for work for about a week during the last event. When it. Are back to me my interest in the game diminishes greatly even though the event still has a couple days left.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Lail wrote: »
    I wish one time use incubators could be collected from stops. Even if they had a low drop rate. It feels that outside of the events the only chance I have at getting new Pokemon is from eggs - and even then I seem to keep getting the same ol mons.

Throw them in the pool of "seven day streak" items, along with the evolution items that I have no use for and are just piling up. Yes, I am looking at YOU, stack of Upgrades.

I had a mini impromptu Pokemon GO event this weekend because I went to Fanime and was walking a lot. I hatched many, many eggs.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    They really need to fix the gym/battle system.
    There is nothing around me under lvl9-10 everything 2700+
    There should at least be a way to report what are clearly bot accounts.

I like to ART
  • Options
    Had a pretty good day today while traveling for work. Caught a mankey when I stopped for gas (new dex entry), and a vulpix when I stopped at a rest area. The only vulpix I've had previously was one I hatched.

Apparently all it takes is bitching about how I never see anything new.

• Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

@Doodmann
    You can online: https://support.pokemongo.nianticlabs.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=319948

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

There is a way, but I was report number 27 million.
    I don't think the ones I reported are getting banned any time soon...

• Options
    They actually do look at those reports too. I reported a guy that was at my gym for being a hacker, and he was gone within a week.

• Options
    LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    Maybe if a gym hasn't changed hands in 10 days (or whatever amount of time), it should just reset. Give lowbies a chance to participate in the gym until the big dogs come back to claim it at least.

• Options
    Or implement a slow gym decay. Like after 5 days, it starts losing 1 prestige level per day.

• Options
    Or implement a slow gym decay. Like after 5 days, it starts losing 1 prestige level per day.

I feel like reset is better. A slow decay will just kick out the lower level people, leaving the higher CP mon's in the gym to fight, and giving the people with higher CP mons more benefits while making it harder for lower level people.