As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. [MOVIES]

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I agree that it would be more palatable if the producers just got out and openly said "no one will see this movie if we cast some unknown-in-America Japanese actor so we went with a popular American actor because we've run the numbers and the amount of people who will refuse to see this movie because we cast Scarlett Johanssen is 1% - at best - of the audience we are attempting to reach".

I get why they aren't though, because they figure that getting spoonfed some bullshit is marginally better than being outright told your opinion doesn't matter in the least in the face of cold, hard math.

I also don't really have a problem with ScarJo's casting, personally. Not defending their stance or anything. I just like her in movies, she's a box office draw. I want to see this in the theater after seeing that trailer, and I didn't before. So take that for what it's worth.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Sehr gut, I am no longer worried

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Who's playing Mulan in the live action version, Amy Adams or somethin
    They have already confirmed that it will be a Chinese actress and that most of the cast will be Chinese and that the rumor about having a white male romantic interest/co-star was from a way earlier draft that is no longer accurate

Like hey Hollywood sucks but it sounds like they are at least doing that one okay

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I am now watching Green Room

AAAAAAHHHHH

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I am now watching Green Room

AAAAAAHHHHH

*flop*

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »

where

the FUCK

are the basset hounds

Great now I'm gonna have to go watch it just to see if Batou's doggo is in the film

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/hxeR9Nu0nQs

This looks really cool

I've seen the anime but I don't remember much about it other than the big robot fight at the end, so I don't really hold it to some unimaginably high standard

But this looks stylish as hell

Man, I thought the exact opposite. I feel like it all looks super artificial, but not in the "hohoho, that's part of it!" way that you could go with something like Ghost in the Shell.

The human actors really look like they're walking around on a green screen set all the time (because they are). Pulls me right out.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Yeah I don't like the Major having a dramatic origin and mysterious past, but all that could just be trailer bullshit.

I am sick to death of origin stories.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Yeah I don't like the Major having a dramatic origin and mysterious past, but all that could just be trailer bullshit.

I am sick to death of origin stories.

Tell us about how you became sick of origin stories.

From the beginning, please.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Well you see Inquisitor used to be a person who never asked any questions at all

Until one day...

• Options
    edited November 2016
    I don't even remember any kind of twist
    I thought she was completely synthetic?

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    You are correct

• Options
    edited November 2016
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    You are correct

Okay
    I guess I remembered that being a known quantity the entire time, which maybe it wasn't

edit: I guess I'll hide the spoilers for a... 20 year old movie

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    There are a lot of things that make me angry at that ghost in the shell trailer that have nothing to do with the casting.
    It feels like they're going for a Human Revolution when they should be going for the original Deus Ex. The major seems to be some sort of one of a kind cyborg who passes for human while everyone else has cruder mods and the geisha robots are immediately identifiable as such. Like there is definitely a divide in GITS between people with cutting edge military cyberization and the poorer class who are taking prosthetic bodies for jobs and yeah maybe you don't pass as 100% human after that.

Why is Aramaki gunning people down in the streets?
    Why are we seeing Batou with human eyes? Like why flashback to his time before the rangers? Or are they just changing his backstory and having him get them in the movie?

I'm not even sure what to make of what that world in general is like yet.

Like this is probably just the rantings of someone who is a big fan of the source material but nothing I've seen has inspired much confidence in me so far, especially not them just lifting shots straight up from the first movie.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    I don't even remember any kind of twist
    I thought she was completely synthetic?

Background GITS series spoilers in case people care, also it kind of differs from the movie to the TV show to the later stuff with retcons and different timelines
    In SAC she got a full cyborg body when she was six due to a plane crash.

In ARISE the complications occurred in the womb and her brain was put in a prosthetic body before she was born.

In the movie timeline she used to be human, and I don't know if it's made clear why/when she switched over to a prosthetic body. But a big theme is her wondering if she is still human, ever was human, etc.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    They often say they don't want to take a risk by casting a relatively unknown PoC.

And yet they don't seem to have such qualms about white unknowns, considering how many white A-listers have the story of "got cast into role, made it big, got a bazillion offers".

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i mean, in fairness, the point of making live action anime movies ceased to exist after the one-two punch of cinematic treasures fist of the northstar and dragonball: evolution

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    maybe they couldn't have commanded the budget they got without a big star. And that trailer looks pretty cool to me. But scarlet Johanson sticks out like a sore thumb in what should clearly be an Asian role. Again I think it looks cool, but I feel if ya can't/won't make it right then maybe it doesn't need to get made.

• Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    also that logan trailer was really fucking good, did I miss the chat about that?

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    the lack of yoko kanno (or kenji kawai) in that trailer is... noticeable

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Voice over world building while sad music cuts between slow mo action scenes is, like, the most boring, generic, decision they could have made.

I mean, I know that the people who edit the teasers are usually completely removed from the actual movie production, but everything about the new GitS, from the casting, to the production design, to using the exact same fucking shot as SAC's opening scene, just feels like the most soulless choice possible.

Nothing about this movie looks interesting to me.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I don't like batou's eyes in live action.

No sir.

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    I think they're a little too small in live action. make em a bit bigger

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    They often say they don't want to take a risk by casting a relatively unknown PoC.

And yet they don't seem to have such qualms about white unknowns, considering how many white A-listers have the story of "got cast into role, made it big, got a bazillion offers".

White unknowns can get super popular really fast, yeah.

However, and this is a serious question, how often do unknowns get the lead in really big properties with a lot of hype around them?

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    who had ever heard of Sam Worthington before he bagged both Terminator and Avatar in 09?

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    it's cool that they used a musician from my city but like, a cover of fuckin enjoy the silence? hahaha noooo thanks

i'm still not gonna be interested until they show more of section 9, or some robot tanks, but i'm probably still gonna pass

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    KalTorak wrote: »
    who had ever heard of Sam Worthington before he bagged both Terminator and Avatar in 09?
    And who has heard of him since

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    101 wrote: »
    I think they're a little too small in live action. make em a bit bigger

I get the feeling that they may just he one of those things that looks alright in a cartoon but awful in real life, they maybe should have tried different takes on cyber eyes from other cyberpunk things. Maybe a Mollie Millions razor girl approach would have looked better, or something.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    And who has heard of him since

the point is he got the lead in two huge franchises as a white unknown (with the most generic face in history)

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I liked when they gave geordie cyborg eyeballs.

The only good thing about those movies!

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    TrippyJing wrote: »

White unknowns can get super popular really fast, yeah.

However, and this is a serious question, how often do unknowns get the lead in really big properties with a lot of hype around them?

Quick search got me:

Brandon Routh - Superman Returns

Christoph Waltz - Inglorious Basterds

Orlando Bloom - LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring

Hugh Jackman - X-Men

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Brandon Routh is a bit of a stretch

a better one would be, at least so far, Daisy Ridley. She hasn't been in too much yet but she's attached to a bunch of big shit.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited November 2016

Neither of those was an established big story.

And I've never thought of Kyle as the protagonist of Terminator.

The latter was only big because of Cameron, and I think the color of a live-action protagonist has less meaning when they spend half the movie as a blue CGI Cat person.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    So Cameron could have just as easily secured funding for the most expensive movie ever made if he'd cast an unknown black or asian in the half-CGI-cat person role?

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    i do wonder if steven yeun, now that he's free will be able to break thru to box office success

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    So Cameron could have just as easily secured funding for the most expensive movie ever made if he'd cast an unknown black or asian in the half-CGI-cat person role?
    I think he very likely could've, he had carte blanche with Avatar.

• Options
    How anybody thought Sam Worthington had star power is beyond me. It certainly wasn't based on his acting talent, he couldn't hold an accent together for a whole scene, much less a movie.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    The body suit is so bad

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I was hopeful that they'd focus on the interesting aspects of GitS, but instead it feels like they just went with the excuse to put Scarlet Johansson in a skin tight body suit.

• Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    I'm going to watch Ghost in the Shell.

The original I mean.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
This discussion has been closed.