As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Call of Duty] BLOPS IIII out now, and pretty good despite Activision's best efforts.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Infinite Warfare was an excellent CoD so I'm glad that InfinityWard will actually get the positive buzz it deserves this time around

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    My problem with Infinite Warfare was that...like BLOPS 3 did everything it did but better and it was that games predecessor.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    IW had a much better Lootbox system. There is that.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I completely ignored the lootboxes in both games so I wouldn't know.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    BLOPS3 has a steadier multiplayer balance where fewer things seem outright broken and thus feels like a more competitive CoD to play

Infinite Warfare's multiplayer arsenal ranges from pretty-overpowered to "downright fucking busted", which while not lending itself spectacularly well to a balanced game, appeals to me more in that I don't have to try particularly hard with any weapon in order to kill a bunch of dudes with it (whereas if I don't know what I'm doing with a Black Ops 3 weapon it's basically useless as shit compared to other players loadouts)

Also, I enjoy BO3's multitude of story modes but IW's is my favourite since the original Modern Warfare. I'm legit curious how this reboot holds up

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    man IW had those Akimbo SMGs that melted you in a second. No thanks. It's a shame because IWs campaign is one of my favorite COD campaigns.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    I quite like IW, though I came to the party rather late. Might play a match or two later. There are some overpowered loadouts, but on the whole, it is impressive how well the space M4 holds up, and it’s unlocked at the start.

The worst modern COD, Ghosts, had one feature I’d really like to see revived. Squads. I like the idea of that asynchronous online play, and checking in on my customized teammates to see how well they defended the HQ while I was away. Being able to use the points earned in that mode to unlock gear kept it rewarding, as well. I’d rather do that than play zombies for loot box keys, when I need a break from normal online versus.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    Also I just booted up Modern Warfare 3's multiplayer for the first time in years and apparently people are still playing it (probably just from built up hype for the new one)

Even broke past 1.0kdr on the last few games I played, no mean feat given how much worse my reflexes have diminished in the years since I last played the game

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Also I just booted up Modern Warfare 3's multiplayer for the first time in years and apparently people are still playing it (probably just from built up hype for the new one)

Even broke past 1.0kdr on the last few games I played, no mean feat given how much worse my reflexes have diminished in the years since I last played the game

Sweet. I actually really liked that one. Iron Man suits aside, it really toned down the ridiculousness, in a way I guess some people found boring. On the reflexes thing, I feel you. However, in keeping with the old adage that youth is wasted on the young, I keep encountering players with sharp reflexes, but a pronounced tendency toward tunnel vision and running too high a sensitivity to shoot straight or counteract recoil effectively.

Since I picked up WWII, I’ve been playing War pretty much exclusively. I just built a bridge under fire by myself, manned the MG on a Sherman, and wiped the enemy team to get the tank to the end zone. MVP? Nope, someone else, who never picked up a hammer, and didn’t appear to be in the vicinity of the tank as it moved up. Yeah, that checks out. But my grumbling about that aside, I’m having a lot of fun with it..

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    The open beta for MW seems... Fine? It doesn't feel as immediately fun as BO4 did, but it's fine.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    The open beta for MW seems... Fine? It doesn't feel as immediately fun as BO4 did, but it's fine.

I'm kind of disappointed that there's no Blackout mode, but at least they're apparently adding a larger scale multiplayer mode in the future. I'm just not good enough at the pew pew pew to be good on small team maps where it's more about twitch skills (I played blops4 multiplayer maybe for an hour, but blackout I play almost daily)

Zavian on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I wanna be pumped for the MW reboot but the lack of a radar + doors being openable does seem to cause a lot of camping

• Options
    I'm the exact opposite. I played blackoit like 10 times maybe and played multiplayer for 250 hours. When they dropped the BS lootbox weapons I cashed out.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    I actually find Blackout even worse with the sniping and the twitch reqs to be good.

edit: compared to regular MP I mean.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I actually find Blackout even worse with the sniping and the twitch reqs to be good.

edit: compared to regular MP I mean.

I actually find it easy to get to top 15 in blackout just by using equipment and letting others fight it out. I never was a huge multiplayer fan though so the slower pace appealed to me more I guess, and I usually end up with good rando squad mates so there's also the bonus of actual communication and teamwork compared to multiplayer in my experience, the social aspect of squads is a big positive for me, but in multiplayer with respawns there isn't much communication besides reaction shouts and negative comments

• Options
    man i just mute everybody and shoot guys in TDM, sometimes Kill Confirmed. that is the beginning and the end of what i want from a COD game.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Have they said if Spec Ops is coming back? I always loved doing those challenges with friends. I spent hours getting 3 stars on everything.

• Options
    It's coming back in some form, no real details beyond that.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I'm so pumped for this game, yet I know the lot boxes will kill it for me.

• Options
    I'm trying to get hype but they killed BO4 so hard with the lootbox BS that I'm having a hard time getting there

• Options
    Yup. The last few guns that you can only get through loot boxes are so much better than the default stuff. I'm taking a wait and see approach with this one. Maybe I'll give Siege/Overwatch/insert old fps a chance for a while to get my fix.

• Options
    I haven’t bought COD right at launch since Black Ops 1, but I’ve been thinking of doing so with Modern Warfare. If nothing else, I could have some fun with it before pay to win guns, and gunsmith parts that give benefits without real trade-offs, are introduced later via loot boxes. First, I’ll try and get a sense of whether there’s anything genuinely game-breaking.

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Watched MW beta and to my surprise, the game looks good. The graphics are nice, and the run and gun looks fun.

There was a mode that combines team death match and Counter strike, where you can revive teammates. You can also level up your firearms as well as your rank in multiplayer games, which seems like a good addition.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    If I get it, I'm probably getting it on PC.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Roe wrote: »
    Watched MW beta and to my surprise, the game looks good. The graphics are nice, and the run and gun looks fun.

There was a mode that combines team death match and Counter strike, where you can revive teammates. You can also level up your firearms as well as your rank in multiplayer games, which seems like a good addition.

Watching Jackfrags livestreaming right now. Liking the sound effects so far and the number of bullpup rifles I've seen in the matches he's been in. If I weren't trying to actively avoid preorders, I'd be preordering this right now.

EDIT -

Bear in mind, there's crossplay. So even if you didn't get it on PC, you'd be playing against/with PC players (if you so choose).

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Watching Jackfrags livestreaming right now. Liking the sound effects so far and the number of bullpup rifles I've seen in the matches he's been in. If I weren't trying to actively avoid preorders, I'd be preordering this right now.

EDIT -

Bear in mind, there's crossplay. So even if you didn't get it on PC, you'd be playing against/with PC players (if you so choose).

I believe they stated crossplay is limited console to console and PC will not be included in that.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    iRevert wrote: »

EDIT -

I believe they stated crossplay is limited console to console and PC will not be included in that.

It's definitely consoles to PC too.

EDIT - to expand, during Jackfrags' stream, you can see in the lobby what the other players in the match you're joining are playing on with a handy little icon next to their rankalong the right-side of the player list (PC, Xbone, or PS4).

EDIT2 - by the by, they opened up the 32v32 Ground War mode earlier this evening. It's not too bad...lot of sniping vantage points, but also lots of flanking routes all over the place.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    If that's the case the anticheat better be good on PC.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    So, CoD:MW has in-game VOIP (which makes sense)!

Unfortunately, if you're on PC, it sounds like it's defaulting the VOIP output device to monitor speakers (if present...if not present, then you don't get to hear voice comms).

Even worse, there's no option to change output device in the menu!

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    Modern Warfare beta fun

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    crossplay is consoles and PC, it matches up by control mechanism. so m+kb on PC get matched up with M+kb on PS4, gamepad on pc gets matched up with gamepad on consoles (I dunno if you can do mouse and keyboard on xbone)

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    crossplay is consoles and PC, it matches up by control mechanism. so m+kb on PC get matched up with M+kb on PS4, gamepad on pc gets matched up with gamepad on consoles (I dunno if you can do mouse and keyboard on xbone)

It's all of the above for control methods. I've seen m/kb on console vs controller on console and PC vs m/kb on PC. From what it looks like, once you set crossplay to enable, it just opens the gates and lumps everybody with that option selected in the same player pool.

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Anyone play the open beta? It's free for everyone until Monday.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    canuckontcanuckont Registered User regular
    I can tell the difference when playing against PC from console... just flat out get smoked.

Bunny hoping is terrible... wish anyone in the air was OHK

I saw a kid get handed a JB poster by who I presume was his parents outside my store today....he tore it in half infront of his horrified parents.....There's hope for our youth yet!
  • Options
    Anyone play the open beta? It's free for everyone until Monday.

Played a fair bit of Ground War last night/this morning (anytime past midnight counts as 'morning' right?). It was pretty fun in spite of the horrific chokepointing that can happen around the C flag on that map. Then I tried grouping up with a RL friend and Ground War just wouldn't work: servers crashing, graphical corruption (I'll link that behind a spoiler), random getting kicked from the group at match start...those kinds of things.

And then there are folks talking about how there's a skill-based matchmaker. Honestly, I don't see it. Right now, I just see everybody lumped into the same skill pool, sink or swim.

Here's the graphical corruption at work (context, I could look straight down at the ground mostly okay and managed to get inside a building by looking at context interacts such as "Press F to open door" and I'm running the latest "Game Ready" Nvidia driver that was released for CoD:MW).
    iynp29mzjw2w.jpg

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »

It's all of the above for control methods. I've seen m/kb on console vs controller on console and PC vs m/kb on PC. From what it looks like, once you set crossplay to enable, it just opens the gates and lumps everybody with that option selected in the same player pool.

interesting, according to the email they sent out today that's not how it's supposed to be.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Yeah, was just watching Jackfrags playing a couple hours of Ground War today where he was lumped in with PC-kb/m and console-controller combos. How do I know it was from today? The level cap was raised to 30 (it used to be 20 up until this morning).

• Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    Ground War's complete anarchy in this. It's like they looked at Conquest from BF and decided there wasn't enough stuff blowing up at a given second in that so they'd just do their own version. Also love how stupidly huge the suppressor alternate for the Oden is.
    CJVD666.png

• Options
    edited September 2019
    canuckont wrote: »
    I can tell the difference when playing against PC from console... just flat out get smoked.

Bunny hoping is terrible... wish anyone in the air was OHK

Jeff mentioned winning a lot of his head to head gunfights, in Giant Bomb’s Quick Look of the Beta. Possibly from the higher frame rate or something on PC, where he was playing. IMO, it should be an optional playlist. I want the ability to “nope” out of cross-play if it goes badly, the way one might politely decline to play billiards on a warped table.

I agree that bunny hopping is terrible. Particularly while maintaining a sight picture throughout the liftoff to what can best be described as the cruising altitude, and throughout the landing. My top wishlist item, which is certain to remain in this position long-term, as it will never happen, is to replace Jump with a Mantle button for getting over obstacles, through windows, and across small gaps while sprinting.

On the flip side, being able to introduce your boot heel to the face a of prone enemy when you run across them is a close second. No aiming, for something this instinctive. Just hit the melee button and they’ve seen the end of war.

Zoku Gojira on
  • Options
    Ground War is legitimately impressive in that they've managed to perfectly capture the Battlefield large-scale formula where every game is an utterly one-sided shitshow clusterfuck full of vehicle spawn-camping