Options

[Call of Duty] BLOPS IIII out now, and pretty good despite Activision's best efforts.

1565758596062»

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    i played a bit of this because it came with my graphics card and it was sure weird how you just kinda time traveled to do additional war crimes in vietnam

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I kind of want to pay the Cold War campaign just to see how thick the jingoistic propaganda is.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I kind of want to pay the Cold War campaign just to see how thick the jingoistic propaganda is.

My favourite part is when one of the characters dead serious says (and this ending spoilers to be fair)
    "Those nukes were defensive!"

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    lol I'm excited to see how bad Treyarch's writing continues to lay it on thick, but hearing that they adopted the branching path narrative like Black Ops 2 still has me unironically excited as well

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Its not as branching as 2.

Id say its the best campaign Treyarch has made since the original Black Ops.

• Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    Seen both major endings now. Good stuff. I loved that mission after Cuba, so crazy!

• Options
    edited November 2020
    I really love watching streamers play the game after beating it, as you know what is coming and can see how all the little hints line up.

Like, I knew something was going on, the game probably lays it on to hard for it to be a surprise. But it still is fun.

Also, about the plot, spoilers but this is hilarious:
    So, I knew the idea of left behind nukes in Europe sounded familiar. So I did some googling and was reminded about Operation Blue Peacock, a British plan to do just that.

The best part? Well, due to the fear that cold weather would disable the weapons when left in the ground, there was a plan to fill the nukes with chickens would have enough food and water for 10 days.

https://www.businessinsider.com/uk-developed-chicken-warmed-nuclear-landmines-2016-11

Chicken powered nukes. Reality is stranger than fiction....

JusticeforPluto on
  • Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    regarding War Zone multiplayer:
    isn't it ... "interesting" how I still end up in the big airplane with only one other teammate for my 4 player match, how is it that..
    Say what now?!?! you want me to go to this vehicle, and then what?!?
    Oh, you want to driver over to where?
    OK, now that we're here, at this bunker...
    How did you let me into this bunker?
    OK, now that we've plundered this bunker ... OK, I'll climb onboard...
    52 orange crates later....
    How can I make this match not end...I just want to murder f00lz with U?

• Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    So what's the current state of Cold War on PS5? I may be getting it for Christmas but last I heard it was causing problems, including system issues, and I'll probably hold off on playing it unless those have been resolved.

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Playing on a base PS4 and haven't had any issues, thankfully. There's been a bunch of updates so hopefully that solved the PS5 issue.

Also got my first Longshot medal for Tomahawk, never done that in a CoD before. It was thrilling.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I'm a few missions into the campaign for Cold War so far and while I'm having fun I'm really disappointed at the lack of gore and dismemberment. I hear there is ~some~ in multiplayer, but I'm full on shotguning dudes in the face or firing rockets at their feet in single-player and not a mark on them, they just ragdoll. Like seriously, not even bullet decals on bodies?

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So, tried playing Warzone with a friend for duos. We've been playing Apex Legends pretty consistently over the weekend (we hardly ever win...but we can usually hit top 10 and get a handful of kills each), but I figured should give Warzone a try. Now, we're totally new to the game, so don't have any options for loadouts or any kind of kit. I thought I'd heard that new players get put into kind of a set of placement matches for the MMR to make a determination on who they should be matched against. Is that just kinda...not a thing these days? 'Cuz we were getting consistently dunked on for about an hour of matches (each match might've lasted at most 5 minutes) by people who've almost certainly been playing considerably longer.

Or is this the infamous high skill-rating people dodging their lobbies to get placed into beginner matches exploit I've heard so much about? Because if that's the case, I guess we're just plain done with trying Warzone and we'll go back to Apex (which is kinda what we ended up doing the other night).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    I know there is MMR for multiplayer, but idk battle royal.

• Options
    I know there is MMR for multiplayer, but idk battle royal.

Yeah, it's a thing.

https://youtu.be/il-LgCsUcVU?t=289

(If the timestamp doesn't work, at 4:50 in, Levelcap talks about the various exploits that are ongoing in CoD: Warzone. 5:15 is when he specifically talks about the beginner lobbies)

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    So I was talking with a friend last night and I guess I haven't played a Cod since 2016?

Thinking about maybe changing that. And saw there is a Call of Duty Vanguard game that's about a week away from release?

Is anyone still playing these? I had to go back like 10 pages to find this thread! Is vanguard a normal Cod?

I have a PS5 and a Series X cause I'm a dummy. I'm guessing, if anyone still reads this thread, that it still leans towards Xbox?

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I enjoyed Modern Warfare for the f2p but it wore thin after a while. I don't see myself playing any new cod if it isn't free

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I played Modern Warfare, which seems like it was a turning point in the series.

I really enjoyed it, and the Free Warzone game type was good with friends.

Cold Warfare, which is the current one, I didn't really enjoy and fell off pretty early.

I may give the new one a go, but I don’t have a ton of faith.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    I've dumped a bunch of hours into Cold War and like it well enough. Zombies is pretty good (I spent most of my time in Outbreak, but the traditional Zombie modes are pretty fun), and I really liked the team-based multiplayer modes...right up until the game would only toss me into cheater-filled lobbies. It got annoying after that.

Seriously, CoD (blanket, franchise level CoD) desperately needs a quality anti-cheat system in place. Like, it needed one a year ago...but it just feels like the cheating problem has gotten considerably worse in the past 6 months.

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    At this point I think the rampant cheating is a feature left in to push players to the next game.
    Not just talking about Cold War.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    The Battle.net launcher advertises a new anti-cheat brand which I assume is supposed to be putting a name on whatever effort they're attempting at that these days.

I appreciated the effort Cold War tried to bring a bit of non-linear narrative structure to evoke earlier Black Ops games, but so much of the story itself seemed even dumber and more nonsensical than their previous entries. The fact that it's bled over into Warzone over MW2019's aesthetic makes me want to play that emergent story stuff even less than I do already

In a way, I respect it for wearing its G.I. Joe-ass storytelling openly on its sleeve, but there's only so much "oorah war crimes are so cool" attitude I care for putting up with. Modern Warfare misses the mark on it by trying to edgelord its way through justifying its extrajudicial shenanigans, but at the very least it makes an attempt at empathy - Cold War doesn't even bother for most of it and just wallows in gratuitous violence and mustache twirling like a pig in mud.
    (Also to say nothing about the way Cold War feels mechanically, which is probably technically more 'balanced' than Modern Warfare, but feels more like a regressed caricature of the CoD games like they were in the late 2000s than an actual advancement of the genre).

• Options
    The Battle.net launcher advertises a new anti-cheat brand which I assume is supposed to be putting a name on whatever effort they're attempting at that these days.

I appreciated the effort Cold War tried to bring a bit of non-linear narrative structure to evoke earlier Black Ops games, but so much of the story itself seemed even dumber and more nonsensical than their previous entries. The fact that it's bled over into Warzone over MW2019's aesthetic makes me want to play that emergent story stuff even less than I do already

In a way, I respect it for wearing its G.I. Joe-ass storytelling openly on its sleeve, but there's only so much "oorah war crimes are so cool" attitude I care for putting up with. Modern Warfare misses the mark on it by trying to edgelord its way through justifying its extrajudicial shenanigans, but at the very least it makes an attempt at empathy - Cold War doesn't even bother for most of it and just wallows in gratuitous violence and mustache twirling like a pig in mud.
    (Also to say nothing about the way Cold War feels mechanically, which is probably technically more 'balanced' than Modern Warfare, but feels more like a regressed caricature of the CoD games like they were in the late 2000s than an actual advancement of the genre).

Yeah..."Ricochet"

From the sounds of things, it's a kernel-level anti-cheat thing in vein similar to what Valorant has.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Imagine playing a cod campaign lol. I think the last one I played through was... Black Ops 3? I dunno, it was terrible and then they stopped installing them by default at some point and here's me not bothering to download them.

Vanguard is pretty fun, anyone else playing it? I shrugged it off with a solid meh at launch, but then it was on sale for $39 on black Friday like 2 weeks later so I grabbed a copy for my brother and myself.

I'm not entirely sold on the new zombies thing, but at least it's not as interminable and slow paced as the big map thing they added last time around. If they add in a lot more mission types it could have some legs, but mainly I just wish they would stop adding in these other weird zombies things at the expense of making new regular zombies maps.

The MP is fun but thoroughly unsurprising. I like the pacing thing, and I like that there are way more maps than the like 6 cold war launched with.

Yea I dunno, it's a fine COD game. Nothing to write home about at this point, but without any egregiously bad stuff either at first glance.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    You still on xbox, pook? I been playing a bit of halo and it's giving me some cravings for competitive shooters, but also with teammates. I figured out my old account login but I didn't get cod yet

• Options
    I'm on PS4 but cod is fully cross platform these days

• Options
    I care so little for the cinematic universe they've been trying to use to tie together all the different time periods, I just want them to build on a Modern Warfare 2 at this point and leave the nonsense of Black Ops and Vanguard behind

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Imagine playing a cod campaign lol.
    MW and BO:CW both had great campaigns soooooo

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »

Eh, idk if I'd call the MW campaign great. Serviceable maybe. Bog standard jingoistic military shooter campaign. It was very pretty, though.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »

Eh, idk if I'd call the MW campaign great. Serviceable maybe. Bog standard jingoistic military shooter campaign. It was very pretty, though.

ok let me rephrase, they were both fun

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    I honestly thought they were going to make Captain Price the bad guy with his whole "we get dirty and the world stays clean" thing.

I kinda hope they go that route in 2. Show how being convinced that the evils you are doing are actually good van just make you evil.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I honestly thought they were going to make Captain Price the bad guy with his whole "we get dirty and the world stays clean" thing.

I kinda hope they go that route in 2. Show how being convinced that the evils you are doing are actually good van just make you evil.

I doubt they'd be willing to be that self aware with one of their campaigns. Like, they followed that campaign up with one where you go do war crimes for Reagan.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Yeah but you could be non binary!

It did get me that somehow the nukes stored in Europe was unthinkable and crossed the line for the Characters. Like you work for the CIA and didn't see that coming?

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Infinite Warfare is still my favorite campaign since CoD4, but MW2019 is definitely impressive with its set pieces in a way that strongly evokes the original

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    I got excited thinking y'all were talking about Vanguard but no you're just talking about the garbo campaigns 🤣

My only real issue with Vanguard so far is how long it takes to level up guns, which doesn't pair well with unlocking extremely powerful stuff late in the progression. Like you unlock Stopping Power on some guns at level 55+, which takes a long ass time to get to. Also a couple of the maps are kind of a mess. The larger maps especially (and doubly so once you get a lot of players in them) are just a grinder of dying as soon as you walk anywhere, since there are a billion sightlines from everywhere to everywhere. But overall it's as fun batch of maps.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Man I'm terrible at sniping in these games.

I need like 120 more sniper kills to unlock a character and then never again lol.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    If its Vanguard its all about the MP-40 and STG-44. Maybe the Automaton. The TTK is so fast that its hard to compete with them. Especially doesn't help that the Type 99 (starter sniper) seems to have a really small 1 hit kill box.

• Options
    They added a Big Map Blitz playlist which made it pretty easy to grind out sniper kills even when you're terrible at sniping like me. The mp40 absolutely melts people when it's kitted out, it's true.

• Options
    So, I know this thread has been inactive for the past 4 months. I've still been playing Cold War multiplayer with friends (the number of cheaters there are still insane) and will pop into Warzone whenever the Clash game mode comes up...but I thought it was a good time for a resurrection of the thread to show this little gem of a trailer. Bear in mind: this trailer is for Call of Duty Warzone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_vNYs_Be0k

• Options
    Such a weird tie in. Godzilla versus Kong came out a year ago right?

• Options
    edited April 2022
    They never made vanguard zombies worth a damn and I got bored of the MP so I sold it. Might be the last new COD I buy but we'll see.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    Yeah, I don't touch Vanguard. Basically, my only interaction with the Vanguard stuff is when I go into Warzone for Clash or Rebirth and pick up ground loot Welguns or Owen Guns. For me, it's mostly BO:CW with some dabbling in Modern Warfare to unlock attachments for Warzone. With that said, it does sound like they're working on Zombies content for Vanguard in an upcoming update...but, since it's not really something I play, I don't know what, exactly, that means.