As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Call of Duty] BLOPS IIII out now, and pretty good despite Activision's best efforts.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    It's actually kind of impressive how bad the Thompson is. Like, the Michael Jordan of shitty CoD weapons or something.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Now the Waffe... that's a gun you wanna fuck!

Holy shit, this thing is sexy! Can't wait to get extended mags on it

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Why is the Bren so good in this game? Like I know for a fact that the Bren is basically a gun shaped piece of shit, and yet in this game it puts in some fucking work and I would like to know what dark magic is in play just in case my soul is in jeopardy.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    having fired a bren before they're breddy gud, though fuck any left-handed shooters, also earmuffs and sight picture are mutually exclusive.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    Game's doing that stupid thing where it keeps resetting my soldier to default. If I'm allies, its fine but when it puts me on axis, regardless of division it makes me default infantry guy. I appear to keep my division perks, though.

• Options
    Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    I might be the only human on earth that cares about campaign mode SP in a CoD game, but I played the first two missions last night and thoroughly enjoyed them.
    The first, the obligatory and unsurprising D-Day invasion, did a good job of amping up the intensity. I died quite a few times early on, falling into the all-too-familiar "find cover to heal" trap that modern shooters have trained into my gameplay instincts. Picking up healthpacks may be a decidedly old school "gamey" convention, but not being able to magically heal back to full health every 30 secs is something I do appreciate (especially in a setting where there's no possible sci-fi/tech explanation for why you would auto-heal). The mission manages to end on a note that's simultaneously 'attaboy' yet bleak, and while I certainly don't expect any CoD to pull a Spec Ops: The Line on us, the acknowledgement that you just went through something fucked up was nice, even if it came with the most literal metaphor imaginable (Oh hey! Blood on my hands!).

Mission 2 indulged a bit more in the typical CoD army of one setpieces; Hey, you're jack-jawing infantry! Now you're an AA gunner! Now you're a sniper! Now you're driving a Jeep! Now you're a machine-gunner! But somehow it still worked. The squad abilities mechanic is also surprisingly effective at wanting you to stick w/ your guys (since you're a Private, there's no narrative justification for you to be issuing squad commands, and you don't/can't)
    I suspect a lot of this is working because it's been a good 5-6 years and a solid console generation since I've played a WWII shooter.

My one complaint is that somehow the weapons themselves lack a certain 'impact'. An M1 Garand is a high-caliber rifle, and in the game I feel like I'm running around shooting off a .22. It looks like a gun, and sounds like a gun, but I'm just not feeling it the way I want to. Maybe needs a little more low frequency punch or screen shake/recoil

• Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Why is the Bren so good in this game? Like I know for a fact that the Bren is basically a gun shaped piece of shit, and yet in this game it puts in some fucking work and I would like to know what dark magic is in play just in case my soul is in jeopardy.

I was gonna say, my knowledge on the Bren is that is was a solid LMG and potentially one of the best in class in it's relevant time period. Unless Ian has been lying in his videos. Speaking of videos:

https://youtu.be/FOqkVY_rcSo

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Save your Armory credits. SHG has confirmed one of the 3 ways to get the new guns is via credits/collections.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    New guns? Oh god... is there a new smg? I'm 200 kills away from finishing all the smg marksman challenges... I was hoping to start shotgunning mooks soon.

• Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    Sten, yeah.

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    I do hope that all those calling cards that are not part of a collection suddenly become part of a collection in the future, because each time someone gets an epic calling in the HQ everyone around them starts spamming the laugh emote.

Or that one time, when someone got a heroic emote...

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    Mechanical wrote: »
    Sten, yeah.

D:
    :D

I do hope that all those calling cards that are not part of a collection suddenly become part of a collection in the future, because each time someone gets an epic calling in the HQ everyone around them starts spamming the laugh emote.

Or that one time, when someone got a heroic emote...

I always run up and fire off a "Hot Damn!" emote when someone opens a supply drop.

Also, they need a mute-all function for the HQ. I have to play a game before going to the HQ so I can mute-all first. There was a guy standing by the 1v1 board the other day just yelling into the mic "1v1 1v1 1v1 1v1" and calling out people to "1v1 me" and if they didn't he'd call them faggots or queers. Found the report player function, though!

Reported a lot of swastika emblems too...

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Every time I play I start an Xbox party by myself. Same thing as muting game chat without the hassle of game menus.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    Patch just dropped:

WINTER SIEGE
    Winter Carentan added
    Winter Siege Gear and Weapons added
    Winter Siege Game Modes added

MULTIPLAYER
    Fixed issues relating to disconnects
    Improvements to partying up in custom match
    Fixed various party issues related to crashes and long load screens
    Fixed issue where party members bypass AAR
    Fixed issue where players cannot edit “Force Respawn” game option
    Fixed issue where players first entering MP are unable to select a Division
    Fixed issue where players who assign themselves to spectate in FFA actually load in as a normal player
    Fixed Prestige exploits
    Fixed map exploits on Gibraltar, USS Texas, Pointe du Hoc, Aachen, Sainte Marie du Mont
    Fixed issue allowing players to “frog jump”
    Various splitscreen improvements
    AI behavior improvements in War Mode
    Fixed issue causing error messages when loading out of War Mode matches
    War Mode Operation Neptune in-game UI improvements
    Fixed War Mode issue allowing players to build and destroy buildables outside of the objective zone
    Fixed issue in HC where players are able to steal Care Packages from teammates they kill
    Implemented “3 team kills and you’re kicked” rule in HC
    Fixed issue in HC where team kill deaths count towards KDR
    Fixed UI issue where XP earned from medals was not displaying, leading players to think they were not getting XP
    Fixed UI inaccuracies and general improvements to Divisions menu
    CTF minimap improvements
    Gridiron in-game UI improvements
    Added weapon base name and Division to supply drop cards
    Fixed new item UI
    Added progress bar for “Downloading updates”
    General UI and art fixes and improvements
    Added Mute All and Toggle Mute options in HQ
    Fixed issue where players died instantly after respawning in 1v1 pit
    Fixed issue where players can be killed and/or crash while exiting and entering HQ Firing Range
    Fixed out of world exploits in HQ
    Fixed issue where Orders and Challenges are not tracking properly
    Fixed Contract exploits in HQ
    Fixed issue where players received an incorrect error message when attempting to play a public match for a party larger than six players
    Fixed issue where in public FFA matches where players are kicked for inactivity, no forfeit timer appears for remaining players
    Fixed issue where players who should receive post-match bonuses do not receive them
    Fixed infinite Scorestreak exploit
    Fixed issue where progress for Weekly Orders not tracking
    Fixed audio looping issues after AAR
    Fixed issue where opening supply drops after selecting “Inspect Soldier” or after entering Theater causes loss in functionality
    Fixed issue where M1A1 reticle unlocked at 50 kills, instead of 500 – becomes parity with all other weapons

WEAPON AND SCORESTREAK FIXES
    Fixed issue with fire path of Panzerschreck when aiming for Scorestreaks
    Fixed iron sight alignment on weapon variant for SVT and 1911
    Decreased amount of glare when using heroic shotguns
    Fixed issue with MG-42 VFX
    Fixed ADS fire for MG-42 reticle
    Fixed hip-fire inconsistencies on STG-44 (crouching vs. standing)
    Fixed suppressor VFX
    Fixed issue where Waffe 28 Variant "Soggy" wasn’t attaching sight attachments correctly
    Fixed issues when inspecting weapon and sprinting
    Fixed issue where equipping High Caliber on a rifle blocks player from equipping Steady Aim and Grip
    Improved visibility on Throwing Knife path

• Options
    Does everyone get Winter Carentan? Playing on a new map should be fun.

• Options
    Well, they fixed the camouflage for the Panzershrek with the “kill 5 scorestreaks in a match” :biggrin:

Because before that the road to the Golden Panzershrek was unobtainable, but now :+1:

• Options
    Full event schedule:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSjHhlfoSPE

Seems like it'll be fun! Gun Game's making an appearance. double XP play list including a double soldier/division/weapon XP playlist in the last week.

Really hope I can manage to get the Sten and Gewehr too.

• Options
    There has to be a better solution to teamkills in HC than three strikes and you're out. I'm being punished because 90% of CoD players are mouth breathing mongoloids...

Lotta rubber-banded controller afkers this morning too. Not sure what for since the event hasn't even started yet...

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I love the new deafen players feature of the patch, It is so great hearing the announcer scream "THE TANK IS ON THE MOOOOooooOOOVE" at 100,000 dB.

acidlacedpenguin on
  • Options
    Good lord... yeah, you can buy the new guns with armory credits, but good luck with that. The stuff in the collections is so ludicrously overpriced.

• Options
    But ohhhhh shit! There's a HC winter Carentan playlist, and it includes kill confirmed!

HC Kill Confirmed!

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    The special order this week (or today?) is play 50 MP matches to unlock the Sten for free.

• Options
    HCKC Confirmed? my "PLZ SHG GIVE US HCKC" emblem must have worked... it's a Christmas miracle!

• Options
    edited December 2017
    I haven't actually seen it come up yet in the HC playlist, so I'm kind of worried they just did a copy/paste job for the Carentan playlist descriptions...

At least I'm guaranteed the Sten with this MP order. And thanks to a couple lucky Winter Drops + like... all my credits, I just need the emblem from the Gewehr collection to get that. Shouldn't be too hard to get the credits I need.

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    Managed to snag a G43 from a drop, and of course it's the hilariously short version. I love it.
    IjHzXyi.jpg

• Options
    It's so dinky!

I got one of those Einfeld chubs too. They look so silly.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    @Mechanical Schrek night in the double XP playlist?

Edit: alternatively, I just unlocked full Shovelman build.

Custom Special on
  • Options
    kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    Um... is anyone else having a really hard time actually staying in matches? I've tried to play 8 matches today, was only able to stay in 1. All the others I was kicked out and received a "lost connection to host/server" message.

I think I'm just going to play something else for a while.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    It’s really nice that you can now see all the different models of guns, and uniforms :+1:

And I even received an oversized ATS cap which is one of the Winter Siege exclusive helmets :biggrin:

EDIT: And the Sten that you get from the Complete 50 multiplayer matches Special Order is one which has +10% XP too :biggrin:

Corporal Carl on
  • Options

Not gonna be free for a few hours but might hop on later.

• Options
    Mechanical wrote: »

Not gonna be free for a few hours but might hop on later.

Cool, I'll probably be on in a couple hours after kids are in bed.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Hey, if you have Twitch Prime you can get 2 free Winter Care packages as part of their reward program.

I also open like, 100 supply drops today. I think I got almost every version of the Type 100 and the Kar98. Game loved giving those to me.

My winter Supply drop rate is terrible. I want that Polish Airbone uniform damn it!

• Options
    Got me an epic Sten and I bought out the Trench Knife, as that's my one must-have for this event.

I found out that Inconspicuous is actually really useful, even though Youtubers tend to consider it low tier.

Silenced Sten plus Knife plus Inconspicuous on a lvl 4 Airborne is stabby fun.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Got the Chilled Gewehr variant from the collection! This is a good gun! Three shot kills like the M1A1, but it seems like you can pull the trigger faster. Also love the weapon inspect on it. You don't really look at the gun, you just snap your fingers and point like "Eyyyyyy"

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    I also bought the Chilled Gewehr 43; it was only 7k credits (the Sten is 30k+ :eh: ). It is indeed a lovely piece of kit.

Yesterday’s Special Order was play 50 matches to get the Sten, today it’s play 35 matches to get the Icepick.

So I guess you can get all the weapons in base form by selecting the right special order on a particular day, which is kinda nice :biggrin:

But I don’t now if I’ll have the strength to do 20 matches today to get the Sten so I can activate the Icepick order :lol:

• Options
    Fyi, the Quartermaster is selling really easy, real cheap contracts that give Winter Supply Drops once complete.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Gah, they messed up the Sten's suppressor. It should look like the M3 Greese Guns suppressor, not what every they decided to add. Also fun fact, the Candi/Brandi Grease Gun variant is actually a Polish Underground made version of the Sten.

Edit: Day 3 challenge is up, complete 50 games for the G43.

JusticeforPluto on
  • Options
    HOLY CRAP
    If you ever want to lose the will to ever play a video game, try Gridiron on USS Texas! It is the literal manifestation of being spawn trapped. You have a designated goal, and will only ever spawn on your party of the ship. So the enemy just holds the ball and runs around in your spawn and it never ends because they aren't trying to score and win.

• Options
    Today’s Trench Knife day.

And the “pick up ally Kill Confirmed tags” order doesn’t work for me (on PS4).

• Options
    HOLY CRAP
    If you ever want to lose the will to ever play a video game, try Gridiron on USS Texas! It is the literal manifestation of being spawn trapped. You have a designated goal, and will only ever spawn on your party of the ship. So the enemy just holds the ball and runs around in your spawn and it never ends because they aren't trying to score and win.

KC on USS Texas is terrible as well.

Actually, anything on USS Texas is terrible.