As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Too Human. A game for the XBox 360. Lots of large screenshots. Discuss.

Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
Those who mention anything regarding Denis Dyack's outbursts over the worthiness of one-year-and-a-half-in-advance
game previews will be asked to stop. If they do not stop they will probably be banned for terminal uselessness.

Too Human's release draws closer, slowly but surely. Silicon Knights is a developer infamous for quality over quantity. To that
end, despite being around since the mid-nineties they have but six games to their name so far. The seventh will be Too Human.

toohumancoverkr8.jpg

Too Human begain life as a cyberpunk adventure set in a futuristic urban sprawl. This was to be published on five disks for the
original Playstation. It then moved onto the Gamecube. Presently, it is an Unreal Engine 3 game being developed for the XBox

Here are some preview materials:
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/781/781085p1.html
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/781/781368p1.html

The game itself is a large scale re-telling of Norse mythology. The difference is that, rather than being set in a fantastical, magical
past, Too Human is designed around the notion that human advancement is cyclical. Aesir is a powerful corporation in a highly
advanced society that has reached the stars. Yggdrasil is a series of cables and servos, a gateway to cyberspace.
Jotuns/giants/trolls are warrior tribes of intelligent machines. Loki's children/the world serpent are bioengineered weapons of
mass destruction.

You play as Baldur. Baldur is "Too Human," something he is to be repeatedly chided for. Fear not, as just like the rest of the
Aesir, you will have a branching tree of skills that will allow you to augment Baldur to make him a more efficient killing
machine.

Controls are slightly unusual. Most games either have you attack with a stick or with buttons, but not with both. In Too Human
you use the right stick to attack in a chose direction with whatever melee weapon Baldur has equipped. You use the trigger
buttons to attack with Baldur's firearms. In execution this allows for high combo variety when combined with the large
assortment of upgradeable blades and guns available. You can just hit the triggers to fire at the closest enemy automatically, or
direct your fire with the right analog stick.

Something notable is how beam weaponry works in this game. The damage done by a beam weapon changes depending on
how long it's held on an enemy. As it's held on a single enemy, the beam focuses and the damage actually ramps up. Waving
around beam fire does very little damage because the energy is too dispersed.

Gameplay structure is similar to the dungeon hacking RPGs of old (or Diablo for newer fans of the genre). You have a hub from
which you go to various areas to complete missions, all the while collecting things to upgrade yourself with. Interestingly,
thanks to Silicon Knights' design sensibilities, the game maintains a world design on par with a more linear, story-centric affair.
Vaulted ceilings and architectural structures of high grandeur abound.

To accomodate this, the camera will use static pulled back shots whenever you're exploring, and zoom in to a close up camera
whenever you enter combat. It will function somewhat like the camera of a 3D fighting game, keeping you and your current
target in view without warping your controls in an illogical manner.

This is because the game has an indepth, atmospheric single player component, and is set to be the first of three games,
with weapons and bonus missions downloadable via the XBox Live Marketplace inbetween releases. Like in Wizardry, you
will be allowed to import your Baldur's attributes and armaments from one game to the next.

But wait! There's more!

What it has in single player, Too Human also has in multiplayer, with cooperative play for up to four players over XBox Live.

You and your friends can go through these stylish looking environs with your ever changing upgraded characters to fight
hordes of enemies together. Fun for all. Everyone wins.

Not only can four people play at once, but they can each play as one of five different classes (with more supposedly getting
released over the XBox Live Marketplace as time goes on). Better yet, each class has it's own skill tree.

The most common upgrades are different Battlecries and Ruiners. Ruiners are super devastating special moves that do stuff
very well, be said stuff destructive or benevolent in its objective. Battlecries are more like your traditional spells that can
instantly heal you a bit, increase your speed, etc. Interestingly there are also abilities that will affect not only how high you
can jump, but how quickly you can descend and even hovering capabilities to further aid your combative prowess. You can
have up to two Battlecries set to the controller at once, with the left bumper being used to activate your current Ruiner.

The five classes and their official descriptions from Silicon Knights:

Beserker:
The Beserker delights in the fury of close combat, forgoing defensive strategy in order to adopt all-out offense. Adopting
a twin-blade fighting style and infused with the spirit of the bear, a Beserker will wade into battle for the glory of Odin.

Bioengineer:
A master of cybernetics as well as mundane combat, the Bioengineer repairs damage sustained on the battlefield. He
increases health bonuses for himself and his allies enabling them to take the fight directly into the heart of the enemy.

Champion:
The Champion represents Odin's divine force of retribution. A strong warrior able to deal out a wide variety of caustic force field
and anti-gravity based effects, increasing the combat effectiveness of his allies. One-handed weapons are the Champion's
chosen tools of combat.

Commando:
Favoring technological gadgetry and standoff methods of warfare, the Commando specializes in the use of mines,
countermeasures, demolitions and rifles. Able to support his allies through long range, harrying tactics, the Commando
is truly a force to be reckoned with.

Defender:
With the blessings of Odin and runes of protection, the Defender is the backbone of the Aesir's defense. Heavy armor
enables the Defender to absorb a tremendous amount of damage, leaving his allies to take the battle to the enemy unharried.

So to sum it up, Vikings in space, dungeon crawl with very fast paced action. Strong storyline that is both steeped in and
recreates Norse mythology.

No official release date exists, however the third quarter for the year 2007 seems likely.

Imagery:

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/781/781085/too-human-20070416055139930.jpg

too-human-20070425002708011.jpg

too-human-20070425002710886.jpg

too-human-20070416055337648.jpg

too-human-20070416055339257.jpg

too-human-20070416055336179.jpg

too-human-20070416055342835.jpg

too-human-20070301051101747.jpg

too-human-20070416055340788.jpg

too-human-20070125021107984.jpg

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/715/715437/too-human-20060628050955591.jpg
http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/724/724724/too-human-20060809070704277.jpg
http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/724/724724/too-human-20060809070720636.jpg
http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/726/726083/too-human-20060816054959312.jpg
http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/726/726083/too-human-20060816055002047.jpg

I'm so getting this the instant it's available.

"You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
Neo Rasa on

• Options
    MetalfootMetalfoot Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Question:

I'm 100% human, would I be considered 'too human' to play this game?

Metalfoot on
  • Options
    SladvanSladvan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think the game looks plenty interesting and the visuals alone warrant at least a rental from me.

Sladvan on
    ken2.png
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    These new screens are pretty awesome. Thanks for the detailed OP, Neo Rasa. I've always enjoyed Silicon Knights' games, even their sometimes lesser appreciated fare such as Twin Snakes. I will most definitely be pouring many hours into this game once it releases.

Honestly, I love this engine so much from an aesthetic point of view that they've had me since "Unreal Engine 3."

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I am liking those runes on the cover.

Brings back fond memories of Eternal Darkness incantations.

Chattur'gha, Pargon, Pargon...

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

too-human-20060628051002935.jpg

This is the iteration being used in Too Human.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    what the hell is running that white little box. I'm constantly amazed at the things people are doing with it. I was expecting graphics in the range of Dead rising and such, but wow.. look at the detail on those characters.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I want to like Too Human, especially on a story front. I really hope it turns out well.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm on a big norse/Thor kick right now. Too Human is right up my alley.

Yay for a game based on the best mythology of them all!

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited April 2007
    Renzo wrote: »
    I want to like Too Human, especially on a story front. I really hope it turns out well.
    I think the stories quality is the one thing guaranteed.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    freshmasterfreshfreshmasterfresh Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This thread has me wanting to play something on my 360. I recently decided to cut back a bit and spend more time studying or at least reading, but damn I could go for some Ultimate Alliance or Dead Rising. I'm not going to have any trouble ignoring this urge, since I'm balls deep in a good book, but if this game were available I would be punching my credit card information into a website instead of typing this post.

Thanks Neo Rasa. Totally rastafu, man.

freshmasterfresh on
    happysig.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    still hating the main char and hoping against hope for character customization.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Mr_SnuffleMr_Snuffle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I wasn't really that interested in this game, I'd kinda dismissed it as some generic action game. It has certainly grabbed me attention now

rastafu++

Mr_Snuffle on
    www.eightandahalfbit.com
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't like the logo.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't like the logo.
    the general feel of the cover reminds me of mass effect for some reason.

i do not like the mass effect cover.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I wonder how heavy the Nordic parallels are going to be. Is that a big metal, glowing Ygdrassil? Will Baldur be killed at the end by Loki's trickery, heralding Ragnarok?

Also, needs more beards.

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Houk wrote: »
    still hating the main char and hoping against hope for character customization.

Agreed. He just looks so...bland. And that doesn't help in a game that is stylistically lacking.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    hambone wrote: »
    I wonder how heavy the Nordic parallels are going to be. Is that a big metal, glowing Ygdrassil? Will Baldur be killed at the end by Loki's trickery, heralding Ragnarok?

Also, needs more beards.

Ugh.. man.. and I just played through Tales of Symphonia not too long ago, too.

Thankfully it'll be a long time before A) Too Human is out and B) I own a 360 :(

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Also, needs more beards.
    i really, really hope they dont too closely parallel the mythic story points, cuz i already know all the beats and reversals. hoping they take inspiration to create their own 'mythos'.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Houk wrote: »

Also, needs more beards.
    i really, really hope they dont too closely parallel the mythic story points, cuz i already know all the beats and reversals. hoping they take inspiration to create their own 'mythos'.

'Course if they do someone else will bitch that they weren't true to the mythology and they totally spat in the face of thousands of years of history.

I'm growing ever more excited about this game. Holding the right stick forward for an auto-attack sounds terrible but everything else is just so wonderful sounding. Ironically I think this game will be made or broken by the inevitable Xbox Live demo because so many people are worried about the controls.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    i hope someone does say that so that i can spit in their face.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    To be fair Houk, you wouldn't be so tired of mythology if you didn't translate JRPGs for a living.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The Yggdrasil is a series of tubes.

The left stick directional control and right stick attack is a system I've wanted to see in a fighting game for a long time. It'd be so cool in a swordplay game.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think I like the fact that you have all these guys with guns around you, vehicles with rocket launchers, what have you, and you're so powerful you're walking around with fucking swords and hammers and shit. Yes.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Dareth Ram wrote: »

God of War?

Bloods End on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »

God of War?
    Sorry, the Norse mythology beats out the Greek in my opinion.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Im really excited for the 4 player co-op and the combat system. This is also a game where downloadable content could be fantastic. New classes, dungeons and items to get, it should be great!

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Silpheed wrote: »
    I'm on a big norse/Thor kick right now. Too Human is right up my alley.Yay for a game based on the best mythology of them all!
    God of War?
    Odin is awesome. Only has one eye because he sacrificed the other to gain wisdom, rides a multilegged horse, commands a pair of wolves and feeds them all his food while he himself subsists on nothing but mead and wine? That's a deity one can respect. 8-)

Glal on
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    that is awful, awful boxart right there

Ranced on
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    good job the boxart is going to spend months inside my cupboard cause the disc is in my 360 drive all the time

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    I look forward to this game. I love Norse mythology and I refuse to give up hope that this will turn out to be an excellent game in the end.

Looks fantastic.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Four players man! Four players! Even if it is just merely "quite good" it will rock.

And with a bit of time and luck, it should shine.

I love the whole Norse + futuretech robodoom vibe. Swords and guns, yay.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Glal wrote: »
    I'm on a big norse/Thor kick right now. Too Human is right up my alley.Yay for a game based on the best mythology of them all!
    God of War?
    Odin is awesome. Only has one eye because he sacrificed the other to gain wisdom, rides a multilegged horse, commands a pair of wolves and feeds them all his food while he himself subsists on nothing but mead and wine? That's a deity one can respect. 8-)

i understand what you mean by that, but aren't all horses 'multilegged' by default?
    And i would love to see Odin riding on a single-legged horse. Called pogo.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    God of War?

i understand what you mean by that, but aren't all horses 'multilegged' by default?
    Or "scrapey", depending on how cruel the gods are about horse dexterity.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    MetalfootMetalfoot Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Any news on offline co-op? Because I think if they have online co-op, they'd have offline co-op, but I wouldn't be too sure after Doom 3.

Metalfoot on
  • Options
    SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    According to that one IGN video, they say the game will have "Diablo Like" Multiplayer.

Snowblindvictim on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »
    God of War?

Or "scrapey", depending on how cruel the gods are about horse dexterity.
    "I can make it on my own!"

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

or Li'l Brudder

The_Lil_Brudder_Show%20reduced.PNG

Tiemler on
  • Options
    AegiesAegies Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ranced wrote: »
    that is awful, awful boxart right there

Once you see the cover art for The Darkness, all other cover art becomes beautiful by virtue of not being The Darkness cover art. And goddamn that game is looking amazing.

Aegies on
    eat. sleep. game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

too-human-20060628051002935.jpg

This is the iteration being used in Too Human.

I wonder how common those runes will be in game...

I learned the majority of them from playing so damned much Ultima 7, and I would love to put that skill to use again.

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Tiemler wrote: »

or Li'l Brudder

The_Lil_Brudder_Show%20reduced.PNG

see, i like the idea of Odin riding around on this manically bouncing horse. But i'm happy to go with 'scrapie' or even Li'l Brudder, there.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png