As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Submit to the Peace of Kyros! [Tyranny]

17891012

Posts

  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    The premise for this sounds fucking rad

    a good part of that is because it means there's gonna be some rad Eder story stuff

    TheStigStraightzi
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Huh, the physical copy tier does not include a digital copy of the game.

    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I'm unreasonably excited for dynamic weather with this graphic style

    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    The premise for this sounds fucking rad

    a good part of that is because it means there's gonna be some rad Eder story stuff

    Eder's ascension from Nice Boy to Senpai

    Miss me? Find me on:

    Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    I'm unreasonably excited for dynamic weather with this graphic style

    More dynamic NPCs is great too

  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I was surprised by how short the white march part one is. Enjoyed it though.

    Decided to be friends with the adra dragon and help it escape, despite being over leveled I couldn't kill it and I can't be bothered to spend ages cheesing it or going for a certain build or gear.

    Should take long to finish part two. Then gonna get tyranny.

    SharpyVII on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    korodullin wrote: »
    It's somewhat understandable yet also disappointing that they're resorting to crowdfunding for this.

    It's a shame it's via Fig though.

    Why is Fig a shame?

    Mostly due to its association with Tim "Should Never be Trusted With Money Again" Schaefer.

    Which is a bit unfair to Obsidian, but hey.

    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • IvarIvar Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    korodullin wrote: »
    It's somewhat understandable yet also disappointing that they're resorting to crowdfunding for this.

    It's a shame it's via Fig though.

    Why is Fig a shame?

    Mostly due to its association with Tim "Should Never be Trusted With Money Again" Schaefer.

    Which is a bit unfair to Obsidian, but hey.

    What do you mean?

    Brolo
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Pillars of Eternity had a better "game" system but man, I just could not give two shits about it's story/lore. I would much rather see a Tyranny 2 that focused on not feeling like it rushed the ending

    BroloIndie WinterSpoit
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Ivar wrote: »
    korodullin wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    korodullin wrote: »
    It's somewhat understandable yet also disappointing that they're resorting to crowdfunding for this.

    It's a shame it's via Fig though.

    Why is Fig a shame?

    Mostly due to its association with Tim "Should Never be Trusted With Money Again" Schaefer.

    Which is a bit unfair to Obsidian, but hey.

    What do you mean?

    some people have in their mind that Schaffer/DoubleFine flubbed much of their kickstarting efforts and didn't particularly like the way in which they handled it.

  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    My big issue with Pillars' combat system isn't that I think it's bad, it's that it looks so much like the old IE games but it plays fairly differently, so there's a big disconnect there for me.

  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The combat of both Pillars and Tyranny is heavily focused on using and synergizing status effects on enemies (if you want to do it super well, that is)

    Which requires a lot of knowledge of how those status effects work and how you can inflict them and stuff like that

    Like, a starting rogue character in Pillars will kind of suck, because they're entirely reliant on the enemy being hit with certain status effects in order to deal their good good damage, and before you have all of your other characters constantly inflicting those status effects, the rogue is just kind of a worse fighter

    Also the weapons and armor speed system is kind of tough to approach

    I think it's very good, once you figure it out, but it does take a little bit

  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    It certainly seems really cool. I just need to get used to the fact that it's not the AD&D combat system, which was significantly easier to grasp.

  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I tried to do a Ranger/archer character, who are usually my favorites in Infinity engine games, and absolutely hated it.

    My second character was just a big brick wall shield guy, and that worked pretty well, but also made Eothas a little redundant.

    The spells-per-rest magic system (combined with the limited rests while in a dungeon) made magic feel really weak until my mages got into the higher levels.

  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah, it took me a while too.

    I'd advise playing a class that is super different from it's D&D incarnation as an introduction, as it will force you away from doing things D&D style. So like, Chanters, Ciphers, or Monks, probably.

    Of course your allies will still be traditional types, but you'll still have something weird to work from.

    As for the weapons/armor thing, just remember that anyone can use any type of weapon/armor. Certain classes will be better suited to different types of weapon/armor - weapons have different speeds that they are used at, so if you want to be able to do a lot of attacks in a short period of time, you'll want a faster weapon, and armor effects that speed, as all armors have a -X% to your attack speed, with heavier armors slowing you down more.

  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I liked Chanter, my only issue with it is... when do I get new spells?

  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I liked Chanter, my only issue with it is... when do I get new spells?

    It alternates, I believe. So one level you'll get a new phrase, then the next level, a new invocation. You don't get a ton of phrases/invocations, as they're kind of a more passive thing (I mean, invocations aren't, but you don't get to use those that often). Your chanter should be attacking the whole time they're chanting - their whole thing is multitasking.

  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I liked Chanter, my only issue with it is... when do I get new spells?

    It alternates, I believe. So one level you'll get a new phrase, then the next level, a new invocation. You don't get a ton of phrases/invocations, as they're kind of a more passive thing (I mean, invocations aren't, but you don't get to use those that often). Your chanter should be attacking the whole time they're chanting - their whole thing is multitasking.

    I don't remember what level I was at but it felt like I only ever got one.

    I could be completely wrong, though. It's been a while since I played the game.

  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Oh hey, they're currently at 111% ($1,223,120) of their goal with 28 days remaining.

    TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    Brolosomething a million times dumber
  • IvarIvar Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    Ivar wrote: »
    korodullin wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    korodullin wrote: »
    It's somewhat understandable yet also disappointing that they're resorting to crowdfunding for this.

    It's a shame it's via Fig though.

    Why is Fig a shame?

    Mostly due to its association with Tim "Should Never be Trusted With Money Again" Schaefer.

    Which is a bit unfair to Obsidian, but hey.

    What do you mean?

    some people have in their mind that Schaffer/DoubleFine flubbed much of their kickstarting efforts and didn't particularly like the way in which they handled it.

    What happened with Broken Age is well documented, and that turned out fine in the end, if a little delayed.

  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Finally got tyranny.

    Kinda regret making my character a mage as their magic seems quite underwhelming.

    Playing on normal but frequently keep getting characters knocked out. Using Barick, Verse and the healing dude along with my mage. Any tips for combat?

  • SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Keep at it with the mage. Once you get 3-4 spells up and running and start upgrading them, you'll be a destroyer of worlds.

    RainfallBroloDoobhsomething a million times dumberKana
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    finally finished my rebel run. didn't use the fire weapon enchant this time because it makes the game way too easy, but I played a javalineer which also makes the game really easy because throwing weapons are fucking strong. I was well ahead of everyone else in damage and enemies killed and only got knocked out twice.
    bleden mark actually attacked me even though tunon declared me innocent. maybe there's some trigger to decide how much he likes you because he would not kneel to me even though I didn't feel any need to kill him

  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Sprout wrote: »
    Keep at it with the mage. Once you get 3-4 spells up and running and start upgrading them, you'll be a destroyer of worlds.

    You were right. Now that I've got some more expressions I'm throwing out a lot of healing. I'm running with my mage, Garrick, Verse and Sirin. Might swap Sirin for Kills in Shadow though.

    Really like the companion abilities. Hope that's something they bring over to Poe 2.

    SharpyVII on
    Sprout
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    finally finished my rebel run. didn't use the fire weapon enchant this time because it makes the game way too easy, but I played a javalineer which also makes the game really easy because throwing weapons are fucking strong. I was well ahead of everyone else in damage and enemies killed and only got knocked out twice.
    bleden mark actually attacked me even though tunon declared me innocent. maybe there's some trigger to decide how much he likes you because he would not kneel to me even though I didn't feel any need to kill him

    yeah, had the same thing happen in my game, don't think you can go that route and not fight him

  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    finally finished my rebel run. didn't use the fire weapon enchant this time because it makes the game way too easy, but I played a javalineer which also makes the game really easy because throwing weapons are fucking strong. I was well ahead of everyone else in damage and enemies killed and only got knocked out twice.
    bleden mark actually attacked me even though tunon declared me innocent. maybe there's some trigger to decide how much he likes you because he would not kneel to me even though I didn't feel any need to kill him

    About Bleden Mark.
    I think there is only one way to avoid having to fight him: Do the Anarchy Path.

    Disfavored, Scarlet Chorus, Rebels, doesn't matter. Any of those three and you end up having to fight him.

    Rainfall
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Sprout wrote: »
    Keep at it with the mage. Once you get 3-4 spells up and running and start upgrading them, you'll be a destroyer of worlds.

    You were right. Now that I've got some more expressions I'm throwing out a lot of healing. I'm running with my mage, Garrick, Verse and Sirin. Might swap Sirin for Kills in Shadow though.

    Really like the companion abilities. Hope that's something they bring over to Poe 2.

    Well PoE2 just reached the 3mil mark which includes the stretch goal of party relationships (not just romantic) so maybe that will include combo abilities as well.

    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    Doobh
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    already want to woo birb girl in PoE2

    Miss me? Find me on:

    Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    I don't like romances in these games. I am shocked obisidan is not catering specifically to me

  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I don't care for romances either but there are some other parts of it that I do like

    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    I don't like romances in these games. I am shocked obisidan is not catering specifically to me

    The little bit I saw focused less on sexing NPCs and more on NPCs interacting with one another and how your character navigated that.

    TheStigsomething a million times dumber
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    no give me awkward NPC sex animations



    bonk those barbies together

    Brolo on
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    So a new update and DLC plans got announced at E3

    DLC is called 'Bastard's Wound" and an update is out now/soon that adds NG+.


    Obsidian is working on a new expansion for the isometric role-playing game Tyranny. Called Bastard’s Wound, it shares its name with the game’s new region. The base game receives a massive free update today, which adds changes to gameplay and combat as well as a New Game Plus mode

    “The Bastard's Wound region is all new to Tyranny, with a host of new quests, and new people to kill, betray, or befriend,” Obsidian told Polygon. “With this new expansion, we delve deeper into the mysteries of Terratus as players bring Kyros' justice (or their own version of it) to a new corner of the Tiers. In addition to the new region, Bastard's Wound gives players a chance to learn more about their companions in a trio of quests tied to key members of their traveling group.”

    The DLC will include new story content, as well as new companion quests. Players will get the chance to interact more with Verse, Barik, and Lantry. The game will center around a refugee settlement, where a variety of people have fled the wrath of Kyros, and are eking out a living in secret, hidden from the world. Players will be tasked with determining their fate.

    The Bastard’s Wound is expected later in 2017. In advance of the expansion, Obsidian is also releasing a new “Event Pack” called Tales from the Tiers. It will include a host of new events for players to encounter in the game’s overworld, “encounters and stories that can pop up when the player is traveling from place to place. These events include meeting rebels, hostile ambushes, itinerant merchants, and the perils of travel in a land ensorcelled by Edicts.”

    AnzekayDoobh
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    This is currently half off on the Steam sale.

    You should probably buy it

    something a million times dumberDoobhVikingRainfallDerrick
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    This is currently half off on the Steam sale.

    You should probably buy it

    This is a very good game for half off.

    Virgil_Leads_YouDoobhsomething a million times dumber
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    the worst thing I can say about Tyranny is that it feels dang short, and ends on one hell of a cliffhanger

    otherwise, it was the game that got me through the first hump of Post 2016 election depression

    Miss me? Find me on:

    Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    Brolosomething a million times dumberGundi
  • JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    Finally started this -- still fairly early in Act 1 and hoping I'm not making a complete botch of things.

  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    SUBMIT TO THE WILL OF KYROS AND YOU WILL BE FINE

    Or rather, LIKE YOU HAVE A CHOICE. HER WORD IS LAW.

    BroloJOE_1967something a million times dumberRainfall
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    I'm a fatebinder, I AM THE LAW

    javelineers rule in this game which is one of only two games I have ever said that about? more games need javelins

    JOE_1967
  • JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    And not entirely intentionally, I chose to side with neither faction of the Overlord's army. Although in order to finish the big fight at the end of Act I I had to use the arcane tactic of dropping the difficulty to easy. (And, TBH, I may just leave it there for a while; I'm enjoying the story, but the combat seems a bit fiddly, at least with my current party composition.)

    JOE_1967 on
Sign In or Register to comment.