As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pokemon] Chuck those Pyukumuku, sniff those beds!

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    Knob wrote: »
    NeoToma wrote: »

Why did that dude smoke his own bruxish with crabominable

Yeah that seemed pretty cold

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    Sorry @DrDinosaur, I had some things pop up last night

You going to have some time this week?

@CorporateLogo yep! Added my info to the spreadsheet, so just add me back and either @ or PM me when you're around.

If anyone else is interested in Scrappy Panchams or Unaware Pyukumukus I have spares of both. I also have some high IV Honedges and Careful Cubones if you want to kickstart an Aegislash or Alolan Marowak breeding project.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Should we set up another showdown room until we can start doing it via cart

I was gonna start looking into showdown and this seems like a good idea

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    After a couple resets I caught Lunala in the one moon ball you get in the entire game, feels right

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    so the ditto i got has perfect Att, Def, SpDef, and Speed. so not bad, i was kinda hoping for hp but oh well.

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Jesus this Masquerain just fucked up my team full of Dragons.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I ain't seen ONE fucking Mimikyu in here since the trial
    30 minutes I been running around in here

• Options
    To be fair, they're undereleved Dragons.

But still.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Having pikachu apparently helps

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Having pikachu apparently helps

She's the lead of my party!

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    i didn't realize the samson balls were one of a kind crazy weird old things

WHOOPS

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Still don't have a Pikachu, myself.

Not a problem, though. I'll probably go back and get one when it's time to make the Koko/Pelipper/Raichu team I want.

Not sure what else should go on that team. Toxapex with Toxic, Scald, Infestation, Recover? Or maybe a Starmie with Scald, Ice Beam, Thunder, and Rapid Spin? I guess maybe that's not necessary if I can eventually get a Pelipper with Defog. Swift Swim Kingdra could make for a nice secondary attacker. That's all ideas for one slot, really.

Hm... Hawlucha would be a good check for attempts to hit Raichu with Dark or Bug types- dang. Transfer only.

Enlong on
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016

WHOOPS

I didn't either until I looked up where to buy more and it turns out you can't buy them or find more anywhere!

It is a real bummer they didn't include and expand on the ball shop that gen 6 had

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Enlong wrote: »

Not a problem, though. I'll probably go back and get one when it's time to make the Koko/Pelipper/Raichu team I want.

Not sure what else should go on that team. Toxapex with Toxic, Scald, Infestation, Recover? Or maybe a Starmie with Scald, Ice Beam, Thunder, and Rapid Spin? I guess maybe that's not necessary if I can eventually get a Pelipper with Defog. Swift Swim Kingdra could make for a nice secondary attacker. That's all ideas for one slot, really.

Hm... Hawlucha would be a good check for attempts to hit Raichu with Dark or Bug types- dang. Transfer only.

Toxapex is a great Hazer, I'd do Haze over infestation.

• Options
    Its hard to find a good Naru sig

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular

Friend, have you heard the good word of Life Orb Rain Golisopod?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

WHOOPS

I didn't either until I looked up where to buy more and it turns out you can't buy them or find more anywhere!

It is a real bummer they didn't include and expand on the ball shop that gen 6 had

there's a lot of great quality of life features last gen had that this one just doesn't for no apparent reason

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

WHOOPS

there's a lot of great quality of life features last gen had that this one just doesn't for no apparent reason

so what you're telling me is its a pokemon game

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Pokemon games are always 2 steps forward and 1 step back

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    The good thing is that some of the features will be brought back for Stars/the remake this gen

ORAS had a bunch of QOL that XY did not

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    tumblr_ohbx4rKFYE1uxmwz5o1_500.gif

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I'm curious how they're going to handle the remakes

Will they just remake diamond and pearl? Will they remake hgss? Will they use the laxer space limitations to somehow combine them? Will they skip diamond and pearl and just remake hgss? Will they just put out g/s on virtual console the way they did with rby when it was due for a second remake?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    aw shit, i hadn't considered golisopod in the rain

hell yeah

• Options
    ImperatorXXVImperatorXXV Registered User regular
    So this is the first Pokemon game I've played since so many generations ago. Long story short, I just beat the Elite 4 and I am working my way through several post game activities. With that in mind would anyone be able to explain or link me to helpful resources for breeding, competitive team construction and other relevant shenanigans for someone hoping to get into relatively competitive battles? I get the basics of it but would like to squeeze all the information I can out the particular mechanics involved.

r7r7a0.gif
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular

Will they just remake diamond and pearl? Will they remake hgss? Will they use the laxer space limitations to somehow combine them? Will they skip diamond and pearl and just remake hgss? Will they just put out g/s on virtual console the way they did with rby when it was due for a second remake?

The best generation didn't have any remakes so hopefully they go down that route again.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

WHOOPS

so what you're telling me is its a pokemon game

I don't remember there being this many missing features moving from d/p to b/w

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Wait, Torkoal gets drought now?

But good lord is 20 speed terrible.

But damn does a trick room team with a special attacking Torkal sound fun; Fire Blast + Solar Beam + Drought is a pretty troll combination.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    "second remake" is a phrase that I hate in pretty much any medium

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »
    Wait, Torkoal gets drought now?

But good lord is 20 speed terrible.

But damn does a trick room team with a special attacking Torkal sound fun; Fire Blast + Solar Beam + Drought is a pretty troll combination.

Yep. Torkoal gets drough, Pelliper gets drizzle, and Ninetails gets Snow Warning (which, since it already got drought, is a bit of a duh?).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    I'm nearing the final stretch of the game, and this canyon displeases me
    Let's have a very fast, very strong, Steel-type Pokemon as the equivalent of Zubats for an entire cave! There's no way this will be an infuriating mess.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    So this is the first Pokemon game I've played since so many generations ago. Long story short, I just beat the Elite 4 and I am working my way through several post game activities. With that in mind would anyone be able to explain or link me to helpful resources for breeding, competitive team construction and other relevant shenanigans for someone hoping to get into relatively competitive battles? I get the basics of it but would like to squeeze all the information I can out the particular mechanics involved.

the big 3 you need to know:

Natures: every pokemon has a nature that represents a +10% buff to one stat and a -10% penalty to another stat. There are no natures that affect HP. when breeding, if you give one of the parents an Everstone then all of the children will have that nature.

EVs: Every pokemon you kill gives EVs. EVs are kind of like stat-specific experience points. A Pokemon can have 512 EVs total, and up to 255 EVs in any one stat. 4 EVs in a stat equals 1 extra point in that stat at level 100, meaning you can get up to 63 extra points in a stat. As a rule of thumb you'll max out the EVs in the most important stat, then either max out the EVs in the next most important stat, or split them over the next few most important stats, depending on how specialized your pokemon is.

Every time your pokemon gains experience from killing a pokemon, they get 1-3 EVs from it in the highest stat that pokemon had. There's a lot of ways to speed EV training up. Vitamins, like Carbos, Protein, etc., give 10 EVs in a given stat, but they only work up to 100. Pokerus is a rare condition that your pokemon can be afflicted with that doubles the EVs they receive from every fight. It's extremely rare, but it's also contagious, so people that get it often spread it to burner pokemon to share it with other people. The Power Items, when held, cause your pokemon to gain 8 EVs in the stat they correlate to every time it earns experience points, in addition to the EVs it earns from killing a pokemon. They also stack with Pokerus, which means that if you have both and grind on pokemon that grant 2 EVs, you get 20 EVs per victory. You can buy the power items with BP earned at the Battle Tree and the Battle Royal

But that's not all! If a wild pokemon calls for help in a battle, the ally pokemon grants double the EVs that it normally would. So, random example, you wanna train HP, you go to the lush jungle and find a caterpie, which grants 1 HP EV, and you have pokerus and the Power weight. every time it calls for help and another caterpie shows up, you can kill it and get the 1 base EV + 8 bonus EVs for the power item * 2 for pokerus * 2 for the ally bonus = 36 EVs from killing one caterpie! EV training is the aspect of competitive pokemon that they've worked the hardest on simplifying. You can also use the bounce houses in the festival plaza or Isle Evelup in Poke Pelago to EV train. The bounce houses take a long time to get leveled up enough to be all that useful though, and Evelup makes you wait 2-3 days before the training is finished. The options are there though.

IVs: IVs are the most time consuming part of breeding competitive pokemon. They're a lot better than they used to be but they're still rough. When a pokemon is first spawned, it gets 6 values 0-31 assigned to each of its stats. These numbers translate directly to point bonuses at level 100, so a pokemon with a 31 in HP will have 31 more hit points than the same pokemon with a 0 in HP at level 100. Your IV spread also determines the power and type of Hidden Power. If the pokemon was spawned through a random encounter, its IVs are 100% random... well, mostly (i'll get back to that). If a Pokemon is bred, then 3 of its IVs will be inherited from its parents at random. Females are more likely to pass down HP, Def, and Sp. Def, and males are more likely to pass down Atk, Sp. Atk, and Spd, because Gender Roles i guess. If a parent is holding a power item, then one of the three IVs will always be that parent's IV in the stat associated with the power item. If one of them is holding a Destiny Knot, the parents will pass down 5 IVs instead of 3.

As an SOS battle continues, the IVs of the ally pokemon called in slowly trend upwards, until by the 40th battle, every new pokemon is guaranteed to have a 31 in at least 4 stats.

If you get lucky, you might find a bottlecap or golden bottlecap, either through lotteries at the plaza, while fishing, or by trading shards in for one. You can take these to the mall on the first island for Hyper Training, which increases the effective values of your IVs. They won't let you pass down the heightened IVs and they won't change your Hidden Power, but for combat stat purposes they'll be raised. A bottlecap will let you raise 1 stat on a pokemon to 31, while a golden bottlecap will let you raise all 6 to 31.

the conventional method for breeding is to build up a stable of dittos with high IVs in a variety of natures, and then breed them with the pokemon you want, with the ditto holding an everstone and the other parent holding a destiny knot

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    while researching that i learned that they doubled the power items from 4 evs to 8 and damn pokemon, why you gotta be so cool about some stuff and so stupid about other stuff

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    -SPI- wrote: »

The best generation didn't have any remakes so hopefully they go down that route again.

wait, which are you calling the best generation?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I heard the bottlecap thing also can only be done to level 100 pokemon so it's kind of a pain in the ass to even make use of it

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

Toxapex is a great Hazer, I'd do Haze over infestation.

Oh dang, right. Haze. Can't believe I forgot.

Either drop Infestation for it, or drop Scald for it. Depends on whether my team can wreck Steel types otherwise.
    Wyborn wrote: »

Friend, have you heard the good word of Life Orb Rain Golisopod?

Oooh, that's a good idea. Liquidation, Aqua Jet, Leech Life/X-Scissor, and one other move? Probably Brick Break, Shadow Claw, or... well, ;probably not Swords Dance.

• Options
    Just finished 3rd island.
    Pokedex is at 227.
    Have I caught 'em all yet?

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    first night returning to pokemon simulators: successfully bored an RU player to a concede with restalk curse simple eviolite numel (he had two flying types that couldn't kill it in time (even after eviolite was knocked off) and my only offensive move was earthquake)

so mission accomplished, I guess

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    ImperatorXXVImperatorXXV Registered User regular
    Thank you so much Speed Racer for giving me all that info. Exactly what I was looking for.

r7r7a0.gif
  • Options
    Oh my god Stufful you are adorabl

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Is there any way to get more luxury balls than the one you find and the five Lillie gives you?

This discussion has been closed.