As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Post Election Thread

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Aegis wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    If economic conditions did actually cost us the rust belt, I can't imagine those folks who voted on it are going to see a major upswing in the next couple of years from Obama Administration momentum. Either their communities were doing better under Obama or they weren't, two more years isn't going to make that much of a difference on the current trajectory, regardless of what national unemployment numbers look like.

Democrats could probably capitalize on something to the effect of "Where are those plants you said were going to be moved back to [insert rust belt state/town here], Donald?" Assuming of course they never do come back, anyway.

They won't come back. The question is, is it the material fact of the plants or the feeling they are being "heard". I'm pretty sure heard converges with material reality at some point but is it 2 years or 10 years?

The material facts of the plants isn't really that hard of a thing. Trump can always pretend he did something to keep the plants there and a lot of people will believe him. He is already doing that.

As far as anybody can tell, the only speculation was moving the production to Chicago, not Mexico. I would be surprised if he doesn't do a lot more of this sort of thing and plenty of people in those areas are likely to believe him.
    http://www.courier-journal.com/story/money/companies/2015/11/09/ford-workers-could-get-10k-signing-bonus/75457372/

Couscous on
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I didn't go to school the day after the election. I just couldn't face the world.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Yep, the old "rainmaker" con.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    So flynn's going to be nat sec advisor

fun.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    What's wrong with Flynn is that he is a naked opportunist, but he's not actually incapable of being competent in a national security role. So that doesn't cause me any grief, because it could have been way worse.

Hoz on
  • SealSeal Registered User regular
    Sure are a lot of specifics there, I'm sure the media will take him to task.

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    He owed it to Kentucky? Man, if Trump only wants to be president of the red states, can Hillary run the rest of the country?

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Better than Secretary of defense

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Hoz wrote: »
    What's wrong with Flynn is that he is a naked opportunist, but he's not actually incapable of being competent in a national security role. So that doesn't cause me any grief, because it could have been way worse.

He has very extreme views re: Islam. Confirmation hearings when some of the Russia hawks ask him about his ties to RT are going to be fun.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    No confirmation hearings for the role. It's a west wing job.

What's funny is that now if Ford does end up moving the plant, Trump will take most of the criticism. He basically volunteered to serve as political cannon fodder.

• themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular

Yep. What I want to know is who is SOS, AG and SOD.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck

Yeah he seems pretty levelheaded compared to his compatriots in the Trump administration

KGMvDLc.jpg?1

Oh. Boo.

• Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular

Oh. Boo.

Hence why they're going to keep him away from DoD, aside from the whole eligibility problem.

• Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/11/17/13626514/trump-systemic-corruption
    It is entirely possible that eight years from now we’ll be looking at an entrenched kleptocracy preparing to install a chosen successor whose only real mission is to preserve the web of parasitical oligarchy that has replaced the federal government as we know it.

• themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »
    vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/11/17/13626514/trump-systemic-corruption
    It is entirely possible that eight years from now we’ll be looking at an entrenched kleptocracy preparing to install a chosen successor whose only real mission is to preserve the web of parasitical oligarchy that has replaced the federal government as we know it.

Not sure it had an impact, but wasn't that what the anti-Clinton left said about this election (see for instance @mtracey)

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
    KetBra wrote: »

Yeah he seems pretty levelheaded compared to his compatriots in the Trump administration

Flynn's son serves as Flynn's chief of staff and top aide. He takes after his father.
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/17/politics/kfile-michael-flynn-social-media/index.html

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Dunder wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    If trends continue, we should be at something like full employment in ~2 years regardless. The main thing he is going to fuck up is in responding to events. Both because he is a mercurial know nothing and because he appears to be staffing up with cranks and yes men. When it comes to things the government can directly influence we are basically playing Russian roulette. And with Russia to boot.

Yeah but "full employment" generally doesn't count the people who have dropped out of the workforce (i.e. giving up looking for work). We can have full employment and a shitload of people without work. Which we kind of do, and why unemployment dropping under Obama wasn't a strong selling point.

EDIT: Unless I got my facts wrong and labor participation rates are up to, last thing I heard was that is was at generally low levels.

Full Employment would mean rising labor force participation rates. Also, real wage gains as tight labor conditions increase bargaining power. The Fed will raise rates so things may plateau a bit early, but U-6 is only a point above its average. Things continuing to do as they're doing and we'll start to see pre-crash normality.

• Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    My favorite little viginette from the Trump transition team is the story that they had Christie sign all the transition paperwork and then knifed him, leaving them unable to actually do anything official in terms of transition until they got all that stuff re-signed because to the government, the people on the "team" are officially just a bunch of yahoos and has-beens until that happens again.

This is what running your operation like a business looks like.

I think the time has come to show Christie all the compassion we can muster and commiserate with him about his horrible treatment at the hands of Trump. If it inspires him to plant a few political knives hilt-deep in the Trump administrations' back, well, why not support him in his endeavors?

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    My favorite little viginette from the Trump transition team is the story that they had Christie sign all the transition paperwork and then knifed him, leaving them unable to actually do anything official in terms of transition until they got all that stuff re-signed because to the government, the people on the "team" are officially just a bunch of yahoos and has-beens until that happens again.

This is what running your operation like a business looks like.

I think the time has come to show Christie all the compassion we can muster and commiserate with him about his horrible treatment at the hands of Trump. If it inspires him to plant a few political knives hilt-deep in the Trump administrations' back, well, why not support him in his endeavors?

The enemy of my enemy etc etc.

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

Maybe I'm being too cynical, but I don't see how it's important even if true. His supporters won't care about a follow up detail like this, especially one from the liberal media.

The headline "FORD halts plan to move plant to Mexico" is already out there.

edited November 2016
    twitter.com/kerpen/status/799452143925264386
    Phil Kerpen

Two transition sources tell me ERIK PRINCE on list as potential SecDef.
    Now they have to just be fucking with us. No way even Trump is that stupid.

Edit: Erik Prince founded Blackwater

Couscous on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    If economic conditions did actually cost us the rust belt, I can't imagine those folks who voted on it are going to see a major upswing in the next couple of years from Obama Administration momentum. Either their communities were doing better under Obama or they weren't, two more years isn't going to make that much of a difference on the current trajectory, regardless of what national unemployment numbers look like.

Democrats could probably capitalize on something to the effect of "Where are those plants you said were going to be moved back to [insert rust belt state/town here], Donald?" Assuming of course they never do come back, anyway.

They won't come back. The question is, is it the material fact of the plants or the feeling they are being "heard". I'm pretty sure heard converges with material reality at some point but is it 2 years or 10 years?

The material facts of the plants isn't really that hard of a thing. Trump can always pretend he did something to keep the plants there and a lot of people will believe him. He is already doing that.

As far as anybody can tell, the only speculation was moving the production to Chicago, not Mexico. I would be surprised if he doesn't do a lot more of this sort of thing and plenty of people in those areas are likely to believe him.
    http://www.courier-journal.com/story/money/companies/2015/11/09/ford-workers-could-get-10k-signing-bonus/75457372/

I know exactly how that phone call went.

Trump: Hey, Bill, are you planning on moving production to Mexico?
    Bill: No, why?
    Trump: *click*

Trump: Everyone, I convinced Bill Ford to keep production in Kentucky.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

I know exactly how that phone call went.

Trump: Hey, Bill, are you planning on moving production to Mexico?
    Bill: No, why?
    Trump: *click*

Trump: Everyone, I convinced Bill Ford to keep production in Kentucky.

Assuming it even happened to begin with.

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Why do I come in here?

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Hmm.
    President-elect Donald Trump's daughter Ivanka sat in on his first face-to-face meeting with a foreign leader, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, according to a photo of the impromptu Trump Tower summit released by the Japanese government.

Burnage wrote: »
    Hmm.
    President-elect Donald Trump's daughter Ivanka sat in on his first face-to-face meeting with a foreign leader, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, according to a photo of the impromptu Trump Tower summit released by the Japanese government.

Going off that picture...is she the only one he had with him to meet the PM and his team? Did Trump have nobody from State with him?

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Hmm.

Going off that picture...is she the only one he had with him to meet the PM and his team? Did Trump have nobody from State with him?

Well... he's not really the sitting President yet. I'm guessing this was not considered a formal head of state meeting.

With Love and Courage
    The Ender wrote: »
    Hmm.

Well... he's not really the sitting President yet. I'm guessing this was not considered a formal head of state meeting.

They haven't even talked to State yet, by all accounts. Or Defense. Talked to Putin before DoD.

edited November 2016
    Hmm.

Trump is talking with foreign leaders without state department help.

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2016/11/17/502469121/trump-is-in-contact-with-foreign-leaders-but-not-the-state-department
    Since this story was written, the State Department said it was contacted by the president-elect's transition representatives. The phone call was apparently limited to a discussion about logistics.

The State Department's transition office has been quiet, as Trump and his top advisers remain in New York. State Department spokesman John Kirby says officials stand ready and willing to offer any briefing materials to the Trump team, but so far, there just haven't been any calls.

"It's not our place to inject ourselves into those decisions about who the president-elect is going to speak to and what they're going to discuss," Kirby told reporters Wednesday. "I mean, those are his staff's decisions to make. We, of course, stand ready to assist the president-elect's team in any way that they deem fit. But as I said, there's been no outreach to date."
    Neumann is not surprised that Trump's advisers have been fielding calls from around the world without any input from the State Department.

"I would expect most of these calls will be sort of 'nice to know you, congratulations,' sort of getting-to-know-you calls, but without much substance," he says. "So there wouldn't be much need for a paper."

Thursday, Trump spoke with the president of Azerbaijan, the prime minister of the Netherlands and the president of Poland. He has already spoken with Russia's Vladimir Putin and China's Xi Jinping. Trump's transition officials say there were "appropriate security measures" for those calls, and Trump spokesman Sean Spicer says the president-elect does have his own team to get him ready to talk to world leaders.

"We are not going to discuss those individuals," Spicer says, "but there is a team that is discussing both policy and protocol to make sure he is properly prepared."

Couscous on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Trump literally thinks the Presidency is a Monarchy, and his children the Royal Family. He doesn't want any of the responsibility, just to be the wealthy figurehead that people defer to while he "Makes America Great Again". I am having severe doubts he'll even allow another election; he'll just say that there's no need, his fans will cheer, and he'll ignore anyone telling him otherwise.

Houn wrote: »
    I am having severe doubts he'll even allow another election; he'll just say that there's no need, his fans will cheer, and he'll ignore anyone telling him otherwise.

That's a bit much.

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular

Literally irrelevant to anybody that is already a Trumpist.

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    I am having severe doubts he'll even allow another election; he'll just say that there's no need, his fans will cheer, and he'll ignore anyone telling him otherwise.

That's a bit much.

Can't take anything off the table.

• NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Why am i suddenly filled with the desire to have Ford move the Lincoln plant to Mexico?
    Or Canada.
    Or anywhere [not in the US].

Nyysjan on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    twitter.com/kerpen/status/799452143925264386
    Phil Kerpen

Two transition sources tell me ERIK PRINCE on list as potential SecDef.
    Now they have to just be fucking with us. No way even Trump is that stupid.

Edit: Erik Prince founded Blackwater

Trump is 100% that stupid.

Look at his picks, it's literally just "People who supported me" and "Anyone I vaguely know in that area".

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    Tim Ryan is in Maddow right now making a pretty explicit argument that to woo white working class voters they have to get rid of identity politics. That's the subtext of much of this argument and Tim Ryan isnt making much an effort at subtlety

He is challenging Pelosi on Leadership.

I feel like dropping minority outreach to try and appeal to whites is a recipe to ensure Democrats never get anywhere ever again. We need to find a way to appeal to both, as there's no way we can out-white the Pubs enough to not need minorities.

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Trump literally thinks the Presidency is a Monarchy, and his children the Royal Family. He doesn't want any of the responsibility, just to be the wealthy figurehead that people defer to while he "Makes America Great Again". I am having severe doubts he'll even allow another election; he'll just say that there's no need, his fans will cheer, and he'll ignore anyone telling him otherwise.

The President doesn't "allow" elections.

I doubt he'd even try that, let alone succeed.

This discussion has been closed.