As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Trump Administration

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Trump is practically every negative stereotype about Americans rolled into a single person, and he has a ready made set of large targets with his name on them in giant letters scattered across the globe.

I sincerely hope that there isn't a terrorist attack against them but I'm guessing that they're going to be a security nightmare.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Also, I thought he said he was a billionaire. Selling $40 million of stock for a billionaire is like me saying I've divested any interest I have in sony by selling my playstation.

If he isn't lying about the june sell-off, this would be exactly the reason to hide it.

I bet he is far more worried about what his tax returns say about his lack of wealth than the foreign entanglements.

Now that he's President Elect, and his vested interests ARE a matter of public interest...could his tax returns become viable targets for FOIA requests?

no

• LikeaBoshLikeaBosh Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    This may have already been posted here, but I saw this advertised on facebook.

1477684895061_-1244316210564026426.608w.jpg

It seems like Cheetos is trolling him now too.

https://shop.cheetosstore.com/colour-de-cheetos-bronzer

• ImthebOHGODBEESImthebOHGODBEES Registered User regular
    Also, I thought he said he was a billionaire. Selling $40 million of stock for a billionaire is like me saying I've divested any interest I have in sony by selling my playstation.

If he isn't lying about the june sell-off, this would be exactly the reason to hide it.

I bet he is far more worried about what his tax returns say about his lack of wealth than the foreign entanglements.

Now that he's President Elect, and his vested interests ARE a matter of public interest...could his tax returns become viable targets for FOIA requests?

no

Poop.

Do you, in fact, have any builds in this shop at all?
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    It doesn't have to be about killing him. US actions that result in collateral damage are huge propaganda for ISIS and other groups. Attacking one of his properties and provoking a disproportionate response might get some of them killed, and it might also be a giant boon for recruiting purposes.

Guys, he flips out when SNL mocks him, how do you think he'll react if someone bombs or shoots up one of his hotels? He's someone that holds grudges and does not understand (or doesn't care for) proportionality.

It doesn't have to be a massive master plan. One dude and a handgun could probably send him into a rage.

Some of these groups *want* to pick a fight with the US.

The US bombing yet another country (or stepping up bombing in one of the existing ones) is the effect they want in and of itself.

Edit: Fuck, imagine if someone managed to get a knife or bullet in Ivanka.

Shit would get really dark, really fast.

I think he'd care less about that than if one of his buildings was attacked.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    I am honestly not sure about that.

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    I am honestly not sure about that.

Tiffany Trump, on the other hand...

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I am wondering something and frankly thank God it hasn't happened but

why hasn't Cheney come crawling out of the woodwork yet? This shit seems right up his alley.

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Gaddez wrote: »
    a5ehren wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Is Trump the first president who will be living in a multi unit building? Because there is an actual serious proble that's going to crop up the first time someone calls the EMTs when Trump is there. Is the Secret Service going to waive them and all their metal objects and bags full of things run on in, or are they going to insist on putting them through a security screening while Mr Kowalski on 22 is dying on the floor?

I assume he's going to be in the White House a vast majority of the time, like our other Presidents.

And I don't think they typically screen all entrants to a building just because POTUS is there - they'll secure a floor or 3 and then ramp things up when he's entering/leaving.

That's an extraordinary amount of risk that they are setting up then, since all you need to do is get to the floor under that and plant some bombs and collapse the whole thing without having to ever worry about security (or the president escaping via helicopter for that matter).

Like, there's a reason why the white house has a giant ass yard ffs.

JFC, there's obviously some security for the whole building (more people on cameras, etc). The President has been in large multi-story buildings before, it is a situation they can handle without any major issues.
    The problem is that Trump is talking about doing this every weekend, which means that he is routinely entering into a location that is virtually impossible to secure (due to the fact that it's a giant glass tower home to thousands of people and businesses).

Erego, people can get some basic bomb components (a lighter, a watch, a ciruit board and access to a gas main) in over a period of time and just wait for one of him to come to his death.

Like seriously: there is a reason why the president lives in the white house and not wherethefuckeveryoupeon.

For example. Imagine it is known that President Trump spends every weekend at Trump Tower. You are Russia. This is a major advantage to you if you were to chose to attack, as Trump Tower is far more vulnerable to communications denial than the White House.

If Russia chooses to attack us it doesn't matter because there are no structures in New York or DC that would survive a modern warhead they'd put on the ICBMs. Plus they'd target a joint session of Congress for self evident reasons.

It potentially makes him more vulnerable to a terrorist/assassin, but only marginally so given that every president has had an assassination attempt at one time or another since Hoover (aside from Ike and LBJ).

Nonsense. The white house is a fortress. The Presidents schedule is deliberately kept varied, and all places where he is 'scheduled to go' with large amounts of notice are also fortresses.

Trump Tower is a soft target. Its a literal security nightmare. Any idiot with limited financial backing who is willing to commit a few months work to his evil scheme could target the president in a highly visible attack which would have high probability of success.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »

why hasn't Cheney come crawling out of the woodwork yet? This shit seems right up his alley.

Cheney is a goddamned professional, that's why. He isn't going to sign up without knowing he will be able to accomplish his goals.

DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Trace wrote: »

Cheney is a goddamned professional, that's why. He isn't going to sign up without knowing he will be able to accomplish his goals.

Rise Cheney! Rise from your tomb deep beneath the cursed earth of Nebraska! When hope has fallen, we shall writhe and clutch the demon to our bosom. Set loose your dogs and tear down this false golden idol and reign eternal over this broken land.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, also the fact that Cheney already had eight years to accomplish his checklist.

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Also Cheney can only hold human form for so long

it really taxes him

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Is Trump the first president who will be living in a multi unit building? Because there is an actual serious proble that's going to crop up the first time someone calls the EMTs when Trump is there. Is the Secret Service going to waive them and all their metal objects and bags full of things run on in, or are they going to insist on putting them through a security screening while Mr Kowalski on 22 is dying on the floor?

I assume he's going to be in the White House a vast majority of the time, like our other Presidents.

And I don't think they typically screen all entrants to a building just because POTUS is there - they'll secure a floor or 3 and then ramp things up when he's entering/leaving.

That's an extraordinary amount of risk that they are setting up then, since all you need to do is get to the floor under that and plant some bombs and collapse the whole thing without having to ever worry about security (or the president escaping via helicopter for that matter).

JFC, there's obviously some security for the whole building (more people on cameras, etc). The President has been in large multi-story buildings before, it is a situation they can handle without any major issues.
    The problem is that Trump is talking about doing this every weekend, which means that he is routinely entering into a location that is virtually impossible to secure (due to the fact that it's a giant glass tower home to thousands of people and businesses).

Erego, people can get some basic bomb components (a lighter, a watch, a ciruit board and access to a gas main) in over a period of time and just wait for one of him to come to his death.

Like seriously: there is a reason why the president lives in the white house and not wherethefuckeveryoupeon.

For example. Imagine it is known that President Trump spends every weekend at Trump Tower. You are Russia. This is a major advantage to you if you were to chose to attack, as Trump Tower is far more vulnerable to communications denial than the White House.

If Russia chooses to attack us it doesn't matter because there are no structures in New York or DC that would survive a modern warhead they'd put on the ICBMs. Plus they'd target a joint session of Congress for self evident reasons.

It potentially makes him more vulnerable to a terrorist/assassin, but only marginally so given that every president has had an assassination attempt at one time or another since Hoover (aside from Ike and LBJ).

Nonsense. The white house is a fortress. The Presidents schedule is deliberately kept varied, and all places where he is 'scheduled to go' with large amounts of notice are also fortresses.

Trump Tower is a soft target. Its a literal security nightmare. Any idiot with limited financial backing who is willing to commit a few months work to his evil scheme could target the president in a highly visible attack which would have high probability of success.

Not that I had plans to travel or anything, but I don't think you could pay me to be in a plane anywhere near NYC now. It's an irrational fear that popped up post-election, but I just can't get rid of it.

Veevee on
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    I would not be surprised if the SS either says "Nope" to Trump going to NYC, or tells every person in the building that their lives are gonna be made a living hell so long as Trump is in the building, so they may want to leave.

But really though, Trump can't live in trump tower. He simply can't from purely a security standpoint.

One of the tiny silver linings to this fucking election was that at least it would get Trump the fuck out of NYC, but apparently Trump's desire to flog his brand has taken even that slight solace away from me.

Lawndart wrote: »
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    I would not be surprised if the SS either says "Nope" to Trump going to NYC, or tells every person in the building that their lives are gonna be made a living hell so long as Trump is in the building, so they may want to leave.

But really though, Trump can't live in trump tower. He simply can't from purely a security standpoint.

One of the tiny silver linings to this fucking election was that at least it would get Trump the fuck out of NYC, but apparently Trump's desire to flog his brand has taken even that slight solace away from me.

If he does decide to live there, I want to buy the building across from him and put up a giant billboard saying "America hates you" which occupies every single steradian of his view.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I don't want to be accused of defending Trump but I am positive he'd care more about his family being harmed than one building.

also the point wasn't Trump will be in NY and thus easier to attack directly, the post was specifically about him being in a place where they could block communication

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    I don't want to be accused of defending Trump but I am positive he'd care more about his family being harmed than one building.

also the point wasn't Trump will be in NY and thus easier to attack directly, the post was specifically about him being in a place where they could block communication

Eh. I'm sceptical of readings of the man that involve him not being a virtually sociopathic narcissist.

• LoisLaneLoisLane Registered User regular

LOL

• DeliciousTacosDeliciousTacos Registered User regular
    Can anyone think of any humanizing stories about Trump at all? The closest I can come up with is the time he told that little kid he was Batman, and that still involved self-aggrandizement

granting all of that

his kids are his literal offspring. they also make him money.

even by the most gross logic you can apply, kids still come out on top.

granting all of that

his kids are his literal offspring. they also make him money.

even by the most gross logic you can apply, kids still come out on top.

1. He tossed Tiffany into the garbage because of her mother.

2. If he wanted to really protect his kid he would be in DC already where the SS can protect him

Trump don't care.

alright. sorry I bothered.

alright. sorry I bothered.

Wait, did I say something wrong?

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

About Ivanka, perhaps her husband, maybe Tiffany - everyone else? Doubtful they'd notice.

What would get him upset would be it'd be an attack on his ego, they're his possessions family.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Can anyone think of any humanizing stories about Trump at all? The closest I can come up with is the time he told that little kid he was Batman, and that still involved self-aggrandizement

No. It takes quite a man who makes Cheney look human. Even that Sith Lord admits to caring about his LGBT daughter, like any well meaning father who happens to be darkness incarnate.

Harry Dresden on
    yeah I just disagree and it's a weird thing to focus on and I am legit sorry I made it a thing or more of a thing. happy to move on.

• PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular

For the easter egg roll of course, just as the founding fathers intended

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Someone could attack (hell, I don't think it'd even have to be successful, simply having the gall to try) him, his family, or one of his properties, and I imagine the response would be swift and wrathful.

We don't need to ponder which would piss him off more, the real meat of the matter here is that the US has a president elect who couldn't let go of the Alicia Machado thing, to the point of being up tweeting nonsense and lies (whether he knew they were lies or not is irrelevant) at like 3 in the morning.

This is not a man of poise, of calm, and his whole 'you have to take out their families' bit tells me he is not interested in showing restraint or respect for potential collateral damage.

Whether or not those properties are ever attacked (I think it's a 'when' not an 'if', but that's just my read), I'd be shocked if someone wasn't at least looking into it. I think that him being president will give whatever existing status they may have a massive boost as a priority.

That's it. He's easily baited, short tempered, and has a lot of targets of opportunity.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Apparently he promised something to Sprint.

Presumably removal of regulations.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2016

Like I said, marginally easier. My phone gives me a day's advance warning when Obama is coming to town and will helicopter in to a lakefront park so that I can avoid traffic. Promontory point isn't really all that fortressey. But I'd rather stop discussing the potential assassination of a President.

moniker on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Someone could attack (hell, I don't think it'd even have to be successful, simply having the gall to try) him, his family, or one of his properties, and I imagine the response would be swift and wrathful.

We don't need to ponder which would piss him off more, the real meat of the matter here is that the US has a president elect who couldn't let go of the Alicia Machado thing, to the point of being up tweeting nonsense and lies (whether he knew they were lies or not is irrelevant) at like 3 in the morning.

This is not a man of poise, of calm, and his whole 'you have to take out their families' bit tells me he is not interested in showing restraint or respect for potential collateral damage.

Whether or not those properties are ever attacked (I think it's a 'when' not an 'if', but that's just my read), I'd be shocked if someone wasn't at least looking into it. I think that him being president will give whatever existing status they may have a massive boost as a priority.

That's it. He's easily baited, short tempered, and has a lot of targets of opportunity.

Yeah, he would definitely strike back regardless of how they targeted him. Or he'd at least try. Certainly he'd twittersplode about it.

Because anything would be an attack on his own sense of self and that cannot be allowed to exist.

• a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Maybe blocking the AT&T/Time Warner merger? Possibly some prime spectrum from the FCC?

Number One Tricky
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular

Didn't AT&T try to buy them awhile back? Maybe after they get Time Warner they'll come back around.

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited December 2016

No doubt Softbank realized they could get it for, almost literally, a song: They just had to have a chat with him. Let Trump think that (what was probably already) their investment strategy was his idea, praise his stern negotiating tactics, and humbly request a small favor since he was already winning so much from them.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Is it possible for the POTUS to issue unlawful orders to the military? I want to say it feels like it should be possible for them to be issued and then refused but would they be considered unlawful?

Yes, and depending on how the order is issued it's possible that many would be intimidated into following it. My experience in the military taught me that the vast majority of the machinery of the military is bent towards following orders given to you, whether lawful or not. The onus falls on the person being given the order, in the aftermath, to either show that the person giving the order was unlawful or that they were correct in following the order.

Really simple example.

An E-9 orders me, an E-3, to ignore a broken piece of equipment and use it anyways against regulations. If I don't follow the orders, I have to prove that the orders were unlawful or superceded by another order. Depending on the circumstances, I may have to do this while already on punishment detail and while still working under that E-9. Who may not think I deserve much in the way of leeway while fighting his charges, and even if I prove my case successfully.

If I follow the orders and something goes wrong, I still have to prove that I was right in following the order. But I'm not doing so under the auspices of an E-9 who actively hates me.

It's a little hard to explain because of the sheer amount of power over your present and future the military leadership has when you're in, but basically you gamble with your future when you say "no" in the military. People who outrank you, especially people in leadership positions, basically have the power to charge you with a federal crime for refusing an order, and it will come down to how much trouble you want to get into with whether you say "no" or not.

Dedwrekka on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    a nu start wrote: »

Maybe blocking the AT&T/Time Warner merger? Possibly some prime spectrum from the FCC?

It's such a vague promise too. What are these jobs going to be? Manufacturing? Final assembly? Build another Foxconn? Because they aren't exactly known for treating their workers well.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    a nu start wrote: »

Article mentions Sprint wanted to buy T-Mobile in 2014 and the USG hinted it wasn't happening.

But why stop at all of the above? A personal friend in the big chair at the FCC can accomplish so much more.

• EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Trump is practically every negative stereotype about Americans rolled into a single person, and he has a ready made set of large targets with his name on them in giant letters scattered across the globe.

I sincerely hope that there isn't a terrorist attack against them but I'm guessing that they're going to be a security nightmare.

I figure at this point sane people would avoid his properties just due to the potential danger. Doubly so should one of them very attacked early on.

This discussion has been closed.