As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Eternal Card Game] Set two, Omens of the Past, released!

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Beating someone to death with their own 8/6 Icaria is pretty satisfying.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Also, for clarity's sake, I'm just hard on haunting scream because I like finding weird synergies and Direwolf's tendency to print very obvious synergy combo cards grates on that :P

They also have a lot of fun weird synergies, but it's hard to make them work in a world where there's directly pushed ones.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Also, for clarity's sake, I'm just hard on haunting scream because I like finding weird synergies and Direwolf's tendency to print very obvious synergy combo cards grates on that :P

They also have a lot of fun weird synergies, but it's hard to make them work in a world where there's directly pushed ones.

At least they're not ramming really bad arechtypes down our throat.

I'm talking about RNG class duplicating Rogue in Hearthstone (which entails the player randomly getting cards that belong to the opponent's class. Not deck, class, increasing the probability of the Rogue getting garbage.)

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Patch coming tomorrow (today?), apparently

Two buffs confirmed: Jotun Feast-Caller going from 4/3 to 4/4, Crownwatch Press-Gang costs 1 less

liEt3nH.png
    https://steamcommunity.com/games/531640/announcements/detail/1644254312929186356

Snapping Brushstalker - Now a 5/5 (was a 5/4)
    Crownwatch Press-Gang - Now costs 4J (was 5J)
    Jotun Feast-Caller - Now 4/4 (was 4/3)
    Kaleb Reborn - Now Ultimate: Pay 5 (was Ultimate: Pay 6)

liEt3nH.png
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    https://steamcommunity.com/games/531640/announcements/detail/1644254312929186356

Snapping Brushstalker - Now a 5/5 (was a 5/4)
    Crownwatch Press-Gang - Now costs 4J (was 5J)
    Jotun Feast-Caller - Now 4/4 (was 4/3)
    Kaleb Reborn - Now Ultimate: Pay 5 (was Ultimate: Pay 6)

I haven't played in a month or so: what has allowed "unitless Control" decks to take a position of meta-dominance?

And buffing Brushstalker's toughness seems like the most random adjustment to make.

Hailstorm and Equivocate were great for primal/time based control decks, and they just add some green for weapons and harsh rule

liEt3nH.png
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Sounds rude.

It can be but honestly I don't think it's particularly dominant compared to anything else - which, hey, they basically echo in the notes on that update.

liEt3nH.png
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Want to try out more draft so participated in the draft event, currently at 816. Hope that stays above 1000 (probably not).

I suppose it's difficult to provide in-depth comments as you can't see the non-picks, but this was my 6:4 deck https://eternalwarcry.com/decks/details/Vi_Yc_rHTLw/first-blood-valkyrie-6-4

What I've learned so far: should've picked less 6+ cost cards (went with 1 more spear/inspire obedience at start, ditched those after losing first 2 games) and perhaps adjusted the power to 1-2 less
    And probably should've kept my eyes more open for interesting cards from other factions to splash in, I was beelining for argenport after half of the first pack.
    Rebuke wasn't that useful either.

Alegis on
    The next Sealed League will add an additional booster pack each week for your pool, and cost 2,500 more gold

liEt3nH.png
    I just opened SO MANY PACKS. Finished in the top 400 in the sealed event, so.

The new card backs are going to push me into every single league. Gotta have my cosmetic options.

ew9y0DD.png
    This is what I've got for this sealed, I can post my pool if people are interested in trying to act smarter than me

Hfarkl6.jpg

liEt3nH.png
  • EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    a5a3d1ad204cc8b6a1a76aa1262add8d.jpg

[PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I was playing dronedropper plate months ago

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Folks, if you're building Feln Control you might want to include more win conditions than 4x Channel the Tempest and 1x Last Word.

I just had a Feln vs Feln game, my midrangy control vs their pure control, where I was getting outdrawn all game. I got slapped with their Gift, they countered my Gift, and op saw three Channels where I saw just one. But several (lucky!) Bloodcaster activations drew me their fourth Channel and their only Last Word, and they found themselves without win conditions. And then they found themselves slapped to death with a 2/5.

edited May 2018
    Why would you build Feln Control without 4x ChaCu and 4x Black Sky Harbinger?

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    I have no idea.

How's Bloodcaster these days? It was worse than useless a while back because Rapid Shot was a thing, but now that Stonescar is Just Plain Bad thanks to Hailstorm, I've not seen a single deck playing Rapid Shot. So Bloodcaster might be a good roadblock vs Skycragg?

ew9y0DD.png
    It's good. Shuts down Auric Runehammer, helps break the control mirror. There's lots of 1/1-to-2/2 creatures running around these days so it's an important body you can get down relatively early. Also carries a buff well from champion of cunning.

Token spoiler for the next set

nCu4z7v.png

liEt3nH.png
  • R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    I thought I'd play a bit, maybe knock out some of the theme deck quests, nothing too crazy.

Cue me matching up against a guy running Shimmerpack and the Eternal equivalent of Unstable Evolution.

Le sigh. Uninstall.

Also spoiled: a 2P 2/3 that can't be silenced and makes it so your minions can't be silenced
    R-dem wrote: »
    I thought I'd play a bit, maybe knock out some of the theme deck quests, nothing too crazy.

Cue me matching up against a guy running Shimmerpack and the Eternal equivalent of Unstable Evolution.

Le sigh. Uninstall.

damn shimmerpack is some old school shit

liEt3nH.png
    Also spoiled: a 2P 2/3 that can't be silenced and makes it so your minions can't be silenced

Le sigh. Uninstall.

damn shimmerpack is some old school shit

I forgot what digital collectible card game I was playing for a minute. Look, I just want gold to draft. Is that too much to ask?

I'm having trouble learning how to read this game. Like, I like a lot of stuff about it! Power/Influence is a good concept and well-implemented. The art is good! The client is good. Having Magic-like combat phase with instan--err, fast spells, super cool! The draft mode is *kisses fingertips*. The setting and the story efforts, very welcome additions to the genre!

But then I'm like obviously digital stuff like Warcry and Echo kinda turn me off, definitely Hearthstoney random stuff like I mentioned above is meh. Some of the "Like Magic but" elements? 75 card decks bleggghish.

Maybe I'm not sure if I want the game to differentiate itself from Magic more, but I'm not super into it because it's not Magic? I mean, am I not giving it a fair enough shake here? Like, I feel almost like I want to like Eternal more than I do?

Anyway, sorry for longpost is long, I'm just overbabbling about Eternal right now I guess.

I think Eternal was angling to be as legally distinctly close to Magic as possible, so if that's not what you want your concerns are valid. Two of the design leads (Luis Scott-Vargas and I think Paul Cheon?) made careers out of Magic and more or less tried to do MODO right.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    I'm having trouble learning how to read this game. Like, I like a lot of stuff about it! Power/Influence is a good concept and well-implemented. The art is good! The client is good. Having Magic-like combat phase with instan--err, fast spells, super cool! The draft mode is *kisses fingertips*. The setting and the story efforts, very welcome additions to the genre!

But then I'm like obviously digital stuff like Warcry and Echo kinda turn me off, definitely Hearthstoney random stuff like I mentioned above is meh. Some of the "Like Magic but" elements? 75 card decks bleggghish.

Maybe I'm not sure if I want the game to differentiate itself from Magic more, but I'm not super into it because it's not Magic? I mean, am I not giving it a fair enough shake here? Like, I feel almost like I want to like Eternal more than I do?

Anyway, sorry for longpost is long, I'm just overbabbling about Eternal right now I guess.

Eternal hands out packs like candy, so there's that. Also, its digital experience is more optimized than MtG.

Also, Dire Wolf made the amazing real life game, "Clank!"

Clank's in the same universe as Eternal, too. Or is it the other way around?

ew9y0DD.png
    Kay wrote: »
    Clank's in the same universe as Eternal, too. Or is it the other way around?

Hmm, I never heard a straight answer from that. I certainly hope so.

If its canon, Clank! came first. Nicotraxian, the Clank! dragon, is a card in Eternal. Her brother Curiox follows her Smaug-like M.O. and the Dragon's Eye card also became a card in Eternal (produced by an Elysian explorer card.)

Clank! In! Space! goes far off the rails from Clank's universe, but its basically a massive Clank! balance patch that makes the original inferior.

I actually just now realized it's the same company that does Pokemon TCG Online.

That's a damn good pedigree right there. No wonder Eternal is as polished as it is.

My only complaint is that Blue's nonsense has returned in the form of Shadow.

Fuck Shadow and fuck Jace. Forever.

yeah i hope they buff mill too

liEt3nH.png
    3wZr7om.jpg

ever since the vara nerf means to an end combo just doesn't have it

liEt3nH.png
    Wait what was the Vara nerf?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    edited May 2018
    Wait what was the Vara nerf?

Vara used to count for her own activation, meaning she would activate as soon as she was played. Now she doesn't, meaning she can't be played at 8 Mana anymore and expect to live a turn.

Her superior alternative is now Champion of Cunning, who has the Aegis every fat unit she desperately needs.

Cantido on
    Oh ffs I just now realized that Warcry isn't just a "Hey let's do something silly and different because we're a DIGITAL CCG and not just Magic without the serial numbers" and is to give you something to do when attackers and blockers are just sitting there due to not being able to kill each other.

Oy.

Oh ffs I just now realized that Warcry isn't just a "Hey let's do something silly and different because we're a DIGITAL CCG and not just Magic without the serial numbers" and is to give you something to do when attackers and blockers are just sitting there due to not being able to kill each other.

Oy.

I don't really get the digital CCG complaint thing. Yes, it is a digital CCG, why would they not take advantage of that?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    I have no idea why it was bothering me! I played, and the game introduced Warcry and Echo, and I was all "Oh that would never work in a real card game", which is ridiculous because A) You could figure it out easily enough and B) I play Hearthstone which is chock full of much more ridiculous stuff! I feel like I initially approached Eternal with a bias of some sort and am struggling through it.