As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Eternal Card Game] Set two, Omens of the Past, released!

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I mean, sitting on gold wouldn't have benefited your compensation, but I played for just the final month of closed beta and got 22 packs. The dudes that stream, like Sir_Rhino and LocoPojo, said they got ~150 packs. So that does sound suspicious.

Regardless, I've been playing a bunch this past week; made it to Diamond in draft and Gold 1 in ranked (though now I'm Gold III after messing with various control brews). I've been able to craft ~2 legends a day, which is really opening up the diversity of decks I can pursue, as opposed to just going face with Stonescar or Rakano. Tangentially, blowing up the opposing board with Marshall Ironthorn is really satisfying.

Hopefully some more folks get into the game, as it definitely feels like I run into the same faces repeatedly.

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    I played through the tutorial and a couple of ranked games. Too many of my games started with only having two mana for the first five turns and then topdecking nothing but mana for five turns in a row in the late game. I don't know many of the cards yet, but are there cards/mechanics for tempering/controlling this aspect of the game?

• Options
    Marty81 wrote: »
    I played through the tutorial and a couple of ranked games. Too many of my games started with only having two mana for the first five turns and then topdecking nothing but mana for five turns in a row in the late game. I don't know many of the cards yet, but are there cards/mechanics for tempering/controlling this aspect of the game?

The tutorial is very much just meant to teach you mechanics and is pretty miserable. Variance in terms of resources is a part of Eternal, as it is with Magic, so you'll get flooded and screwed and that's just how it is. But the mulligan in Eternal does guarantee between 2 and 5 sources of power, and given sufficient consistency in deckbuilding you can reduce your susceptibility to resource issues.

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Are there ways to remove power sources from your deck (other than the few fetch cards you see early on) or use power sources for anything other than gaining mana? Also is it possible to destroy your opponent's mana crystals?

In terms of Magic I'm thinking about cards like Land Tax, Mana Severance, Seismic Assault, and Armageddon. Are any of those kinds of things in Eternal?

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    FWIW you can go into your card collection and click on crafting to show every card in the game

http://www.numotgaming.com/cards/ I don't know if this database is up to date with the most recent patch (i didn't check, i just googled it)

But no there's no mana destruction

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    There's a neutral card that fetches any basic sigil for 1.
    There's a Rampant Growth for 2T.
    There are sigils that change into creatures once you've hit a certain power threshold.
    Every color has a 1C spell that has a minor effect and searches up a sigil of that color.
    Time/Justice have creatures that search for sigils and creatures that function as power (i.e. Llanowar Elf).
    Whispering Wind lets you discard any card, including sigils, to get a random card from your deck that costs more than what was discarded.

Etc...

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Hrrrm. Could just be the quests not doing much for it, but I prefer Hex for the "magic experience" and campaign more, and I prefer hearthstone for the hearthstone. This is alright, but it isn't doing much special.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Made it to Masters in Ranked & Draft just before the holidays started. Had a ridiculous draft queue in which I had to play against Amaz twice, Patrick Sullivan (from the dev team & former Magic pro), and a couple of other top 10 Eternal drafters like sunyveil & Grimfan — needless to say, I didn't win many matches in that queue, but I did manage to cross into Masters nonetheless.

The constructed meta is a bit stagnant at the moment, as the changes made during the transition to open beta didn't dramatically shake things up, other than letting Shimmerpack through the door. That said, if your inclination is to climb, it's at least feasible to climb with a large number of decks, including at least two really strong budget lists ("Pantsless" Rakano Aggro & Haunted Scream Combo). I played most of my Diamond matches alternating between a Bant Control brew, Stonescar Burn, Elysian Midrange, and Sir_Rhino's Feln Control list.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    are there any strategy sites for eternal yet?

• Options
    are there any strategy sites for eternal yet?

Nothing especially great; the two "biggest" are:

1. RNG Eternal
    2. Numot Gaming (Has an Eternal section)

• Options
    webberwebber Registered User regular
    There's a subreddit for it that pretty active too.

This lucky penny is bullshit.
    Hearthstone - Webber #1330
    3DS: 0920-3235-4071
  • Options
    While the season may be but a week old, I've already hit Masters in draft and am currently #2 in the top 100. Obviously it helps that the nature of Eternal's MMR and Point Allocation means that while my opposition is guaranteed to be another top 100 player, every victory nets me ~20 points yet losing is only ~5 points. Regardless, I'm quite happy about my performance and a string of 7-win runs has really helped accrue the shiftstone necessary to flesh out my collection of Legendaries.

Ladder is kinda gross at the moment due to so many players trying to force a quick ascension via all-in aggro decks like Jito Queen, but I'm not super concerned about making Masters in Ranked again and am happy to fiddle with random brews. Now that I have 4 Great Parliament my goal is to figure out a delightfully durdly Parliament Control deck.

• Options
    So was there a wipe or does the mobile app not recognize desktop progress?

• Options
    there hasn't been a wipe in some time

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    there hasn't been a wipe in some time

i haven't logged in for several months so that could be it. the surprise was that i am getting the tutorial again when i load up the mobile app

• Options
    the wipe was when it went from closed beta to open beta

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I liked this at first, but the longer I played ranked the more I realized there are like 3 meta decks everyone plays, and everyone else just has slightly modified starter decks. Getting the dust or crystals or whatever they are to craft the legendaries is kind of oppressive. You have to win to really make gold to draft to get cards/dust, but if you don't have the legends you get curbstomped by the the people who do. I do like the drafting in this, but I'm pretty much eternally plagued by never having any luck in my cardpools. But that has always been a thing in magic, hearthstone, and any other game.

• Options
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    I liked this at first, but the longer I played ranked the more I realized there are like 3 meta decks everyone plays, and everyone else just has slightly modified starter decks. Getting the dust or crystals or whatever they are to craft the legendaries is kind of oppressive. You have to win to really make gold to draft to get cards/dust, but if you don't have the legends you get curbstomped by the the people who do. I do like the drafting in this, but I'm pretty much eternally plagued by never having any luck in my cardpools. But that has always been a thing in magic, hearthstone, and any other game.

i didn't play the game enough to really see how what the acquisition rate ended up being. i felt drafting was fine, but mostly the same as literally every limited format i've played in any game. they all boil down to really boring interactions. only with the added caveat of involving cards i have no interest in actually playing with.

is there any sense of what the monetary buyin to go from zero to competitive would be? overall my frustration level is much lower if i just buy enough to get a reasonable deck and go from there. instead of bashing my head against "well they just had better cards than me" wall a ton of times, or being bored for months playing limited

• Options

i didn't play the game enough to really see how what the acquisition rate ended up being. i felt drafting was fine, but mostly the same as literally every limited format i've played in any game. they all boil down to really boring interactions. only with the added caveat of involving cards i have no interest in actually playing with.

is there any sense of what the monetary buyin to go from zero to competitive would be? overall my frustration level is much lower if i just buy enough to get a reasonable deck and go from there. instead of bashing my head against "well they just had better cards than me" wall a ton of times, or being bored for months playing limited

I don't know how accurate it is, but I saw this article comparing costs to Hearthstone recently

https://rngeternal.com/2017/01/23/going-deep-freer-to-play/

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

I don't know how accurate it is, but I saw this article comparing costs to Hearthstone recently

https://rngeternal.com/2017/01/23/going-deep-freer-to-play/

cool, i'll check that out later. thanks!

• Options
    Also I have to say, as someone who decided to play Burn Queen a few weeks ago, feeling pretty smug about that site declaring it tier 1 this week

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    just skimming the article, but assuming those numbers are correct i think i could live with shelling out $50-60 got a viable deck and just playing the shit out of it. although it also doesn't appear to be an inhuman amount of games just grinding it so a combination of the 2 wouldn't be unpalatable since this would definitely be a tertiary ccg for me

• Options
    Just got an e-mail saying they're releasing the equivalent of a Hearthstone adventure next week; can be purchased for 20,000 Gold or 1,000 Gems (basically 10 dollars). It'll be 16 "missions" vs. the equivalent of Gauntlet Boss battles, except you know what the wacky modification is. Defeating each boss unlocks a playset of a new card.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I just went 7-2 in a draft! First time I've managed to do it. Usually I just kinda lose steam at 5 on a good day. My deck was bonkers though, I had a bunch of the cheap warcry cards (red/green) and a handful of weapons. I also snagged 3 brightmace paladins which combined with warcry and weapons was just too strong.

Constructed is still kind of terrible, but I gotta do it to get more gold for drafts...

• Options
    Apparently the next patch will bring approximately 20 card-changes, including a number of which put a greater emphasis on mono-color influence:
    Scaly Gruan costs 2P (down from 3P)
    Jarrall Iceheart is 6/7 (up from 6/6)
    Subvert costs 4SS (up from 4S)
    Azindel's Gift costs 7SSS (up from 7S)
    Soulfire Drake costs 5FFF (up from 5FF)
    Umbren Reaper costs 5SSS (up from 5SS)
    Explorer Emeritus is 0/2 (up from 0/1)
    Crownwatch Paladin is 2/1 (down from 2/2)

I haven't played much of late due to my gaming time being devoted to the slew of recent PS4 releases, but I like the look of everything in that list. The change to Azindel's Gift is the only one that I think will have a dramatic impact on a given card's playability, but I think most folks should be ok with Gift no longer being splashable in whatever derpy 4-color brew someone could conceive. Paladin might get pushed aside for cards that won't trade with Grenadin tokens, but I think it'll still be a strong two-drop.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I hereby resurrect this thread from the depths of the past!

Set two, Omens of the Past, released late last week, and I've been having a blast with it. They added five new color pair factions, so each color pair now has multi-color cards that officially represent them. Drafting now alternates between set 1 and set 2, with set 2 being first.

Here are the new card keywords:
    • Spark. The mechanic of the Fire/Primal pair, Skycrag. When you play a card with Spark, the effect is gained if the enemy player took damage this turn.
    • Lifeforce. The mechanic of the Time/Shadow pair, Xenan. Lifeforce triggers every time you gain life through any means.
    • Warp. The mechanic of the Time/Fire pair, Praxis. Warp cards can be played from the top of your deck. Only you can see the top card of your deck if it has warp, your opponent can't see it.
    • Mentor. The mechanic of the Justice/Primal pair, Hooru. When you play a mentor card, you can exhaust one of your units to be used as a Student. Most mentor cards give benefits to the mentor, and some cards even gain benefits from being a student.
    • Revenge. The mechanic of the Justice/Shadow pair, Argenport. When a revenge card is sent to your graveyard, it is placed into the top 10 cards of your deck randomly. It loses Revenge and gains Destiny, which means when you draw it, it comes into play immediately.

Anyways, there are a ton of new decks on ladder right now and nobody knows what's going on, so it's super fun to play right now. Anyone else been playing this? I know it's not super popular compared to other card games, but it's always felt very similar to Magic while being free to play.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Eternal Tournament Series is starting soon, for anyone who wants to see some tournament gameplay:

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Hello, I just started playing.

I built a very simple mono-Fire Burn deck for Gauntlet, and have been enjoying Forge a lot. Gauntlet gets pretty hard on the last opponent with the arbitrary buffs!

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    Finished up the tutorial quests for the intro decks today. I think the first major deck I'm going to build will be a Stonescar deck of some kind, maybe burn or jito. Most players will probably be playing Rakhano to start off, so Stonescar will probably be pretty well positioned to do decently until I can get more cards.

@Spawnbroker Just a question - why do you think most people will be playing Rakano?

I ask 'cause I got a Rakano theme deck reward for playing yesterday, and was planning on playing an aggro deck built entirely around Warcry, because the mix of Justice and Fire looks stronger on the creature and removal side than just Fire Burn with Warcry.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    Kay wrote: »
    Finished up the tutorial quests for the intro decks today. I think the first major deck I'm going to build will be a Stonescar deck of some kind, maybe burn or jito. Most players will probably be playing Rakhano to start off, so Stonescar will probably be pretty well positioned to do decently until I can get more cards.

Spawnbroker Just a question - why do you think most people will be playing Rakano?

I ask 'cause I got a Rakano theme deck reward for playing yesterday, and was planning on playing an aggro deck built entirely around Warcry, because the mix of Justice and Fire looks stronger on the creature and removal side than just Fire Burn with Warcry.

Rakano is heavily played in great part because it is viable with minimal investment and games tend to be quicker, allowing a player to jam games with relative ease and steadily climb the ladder. For much of Eternal's closed beta and the early months of open beta Rakano was somewhat problematic in terms of its overall power, and even after a number of nerfs you can still find very basic Rakano decks doing well in Diamond-tier ladder.

• Options
    Rakano is still a tier 1 deck because it's very hard for control decks to disrupt its plan due to all of the aegis, warcry, protect, and burn effects that it runs. Even a good midrange deck will have a difficult time stemming the flood until it can win, and Rakano can still have some blowouts where it equips an 11/11 hammer on a dinky 1/1 flier to swing for lethal.

• Options
    If you've just started playing you can do a lot with a Budget Rakano Aggro list

I presume budget Skycrag lists can also do quite well now

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Wheeeeeeooo.

Cracked Master Gauntlet today. (Master Forge was much, MUCH easier.)

I used this deck:
    4 Elder's Feather (Set1 #128)
    4 Finest Hour (Set1 #130)
    4 Oni Ronin (Set1 #13)
    2 Pummel (Set2 #6)
    1 Pyroknight (Set1 #16)
    4 Torch (Set1 #8)
    2 Champion of Glory (Set1 #314)
    4 Crownwatch Paladin (Set1 #139)
    3 Ornate Katana (Set1 #23)
    2 Piercing Shot (Set1 #25)
    4 Rakano Outlaw (Set1 #20)
    3 Vanquish (Set1 #143)
    1 Hero of the People (Set1 #156)
    2 Shogun's Scepter (Set1 #26)
    4 Silverwing Familiar (Set1 #152)
    4 Sword of Icaria (Set1 #315)
    2 Valkyrie Enforcer (Set1 #151)
    6 Fire Sigil (Set1 #1)
    5 Justice Sigil (Set1 #126)
    2 Emerald Monument (Set1 #422)
    4 Rakano Banner (Set1 #427)
    4 Seat of Glory (Set0 #56)
    4 Diplomatic Seal (Set1 #425)

Does it look good enough to at least putter around in ranked with this?

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Welp. Steadily improving my Rakano Aggro list, got a full playset of Champion of Glory, and a second Pyroknight. Slimmed down the weapon package (I just had too many), and picked up some Rampage. Keeping Pummel, I like the scry. I'm thinking I should maybe find room for a pair of Protects, though.

Edit: I also went 7-2 in the weekend event, which was great!

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    With regards to weapons, you'll often find that Rakano lists are described as either "Rakano Pants" or "Rakano Pantsless"; the usage of weapons became less and less prevalent as Armory decks became increasingly en vogue, as giant Relic Weapons give no fucks about aegis units, so it's been a while since true Rakano Pants decks have been a thing.

• Options
    Yeah, think I'm removing the Katanas and Feathers, putting in some more relics.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    Just started playing this the other day. Ton of fun though I find it hard constructing decks and keepong them to just 75 cards. But thats just me wanting a lol tje beat.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    Means To An End is

fun

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    draw a million cards

and

kill u

ew9y0DD.png