As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Final Fantasy] V Four Job Fiesta starts Monday! Play for charity! Play for fun!

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    Red mages have historically been hybrids. Even as far back as final fantasy 3 when they were introduced they were the only mage class that could use a variety of swords.
    They were in FF1, actually.

Oh right. I should have remembered that since my one character playthroughs are usually red mage because it's ez mode.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    We also have classes called Shikari, Bushi, Foebreaker, and Uhlan. I like the introduction of new ideas to the series.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    We also have classes called Shikari, Bushi, Foebreaker, and Uhlan. I like the introduction of new ideas to the series.

No I want everything to be the same as it was in the past.

:P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I'm guessing Time Battlemage is to let you know that it's going to use a weapon to attack and not just case haste/slow and what not, because otherwise the job would probably be a pretty bad choice.

One day we'll have a game with a job system where every job is one of the strange or one-off jobs. Mediator, I'm looking at you!

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I have waited so long to actually play through FF12 because I wouldn't play it till I could play the complete version.

But now I still have to wait because I only have a PC :(

Kai_San wrote: »
    I have waited so long to actually play through FF12 because I wouldn't play it till I could play the complete version.

But now I still have to wait because I only have a PC :(

They released the x remaster on pc, I bet this one will get the same treatment soon.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I have a love/hate relationship with XII.

It's beautiful, and I could listen to Fran talk forever.

But, everything about Vaan and Penelo is terrible, and the story just disappears about a 1/3rd of the way through.

And, man, I spent so many hours grinding money/EXP/LP on the oil platforms in the Sand Sea....

• GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    I have a love/hate relationship with XII.

It's beautiful, and I could listen to Fran talk forever.

But, everything about Vaan and Penelo is terrible, and the story just disappears about a 1/3rd of the way through.

And, man, I spent so many hours grinding money/EXP/LP on the oil platforms in the Sand Sea....

100% agree with you. I love the art direction and character design SO much, but after the first 1/3 of the story, which I love, it all falls apart.

I saw an interesting video about how the heroes are the bad guys in XII. Not that I believe it, but my next play through will be under that lens...for fun.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    It's really hard to give a damn about FFXII's story, when it's Star Wars, but Luke is intolerable.

Fencingsax wrote: »
    It's really hard to give a damn about FFXII's story, when it's Star Wars, but Luke is intolerable.

Wasn't Vaan essentially forced onto Matsuno? I still wonder how it would've turned out with more focus on Basch and with Matsuno staying on until the end.

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    What is a shikari? 叱り - Scolding? 然り - Archaic form of the copula?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    What is a shikari? 叱り - Scolding? 然り - Archaic form of the copula?

FF Wiki says it's Hindi for "hunter."

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Shikari

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    Are the iOS versions of FFT or FF3 any good? I'd be playing them on an iPhone SE for what it's worth.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    HeraldS wrote: »
    Are the iOS versions of FFT or FF3 any good? I'd be playing them on an iPhone SE for what it's worth.

tactics is the PSP version, with those cutscenes and translation.

I personally think it is superior to the original PSX version, but if your nostalgia is tied into strange script of the original you may not like it.

Other than that, its a pretty great game to have on a mobile device. I sunk an ungodly number of hours into it

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    They aren't shared/universal apps, though. So buying on an iPad does not let you play on an iPhone.

Unfortunately

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    You can play the iPhone version on an iPad though.

It just looks like shit.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Oh, I didn't hear about the zodiac-system being rejiggered again. I'll have to make a new and improved decision to ignore the game.

Specific espers still lock a bunch of random licenses for every job, right?

PLA on
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

I personally think it is superior to the original PSX version, but if your nostalgia is tied into strange script of the original you may not like it.

Other than that, its a pretty great game to have on a mobile device. I sunk an ungodly number of hours into it

My nostalgia is tied to a game that actually functions without constant slow down.

edited May 2017
    Tried Episode Gladiolus.

A pitiful 20 minute DLC that feels like a horrible fighting game?

So disappointed.

Sirialis on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Tried Episode Gladiolus.

So disappointed.

I mean. I haven't played it. But I'm not surprised. XV as a whole was an entirely mediocre experience at best. And some of it was less than mediocre. Disappointing DLC is par for the course for this game.

Best we can hope for now is that XVI doesn't suck.

Lucascraft wrote: »
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Tried Episode Gladiolus.

So disappointed.

Best we can hope for now is that XVI doesn't suck.

Releases in 2026.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Lucascraft

How do you feel about FFXV

edited May 2017
    After you complete Episode Gladiolus, a "Final Trial" will appear... Defeated Cor the Immortal the second time I tried fighting him, he makes Gilgamesh look like a total pushover, he basically evades and dodges 65% of your attacks, yes even your limit breaks.

If you dont learn parrying, might as well not even attempt to fight him... Of course he can also evade parries.

Sirialis on
    After wasting a day on this decision, I'm moving FFXII to discount-buys.

XII's remaster makes me wish we had a new version of Vagrant Story. Of course, I say that every time someone mentions XII, but still :P

• MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I made Vaan into a Paladin-esque character and Basch into a Samurai. Regardless of his appeal in the cutscenes, my Vaan was a badass. I remember Basch's chain crits with Katana and how quickly things would melt as well.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
    A new version of Vagrant Story would be delicious.

MagicPrime wrote: »
    I made Vaan into a Paladin-esque character and Basch into a Samurai. Regardless of his appeal in the cutscenes, my Vaan was a badass badabs.

Fixed.

...I'll show myself out....

• OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

My nostalgia is tied to a game that actually functions without constant slow down.

Slowdown issues were addressed in a patch way back, but that was more than a few iOS updates ago.

Randomly played through FFVI again. That's a great game that's really hard not to make trivial very quickly, especially if you're a completionist.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    @OneAngryPossum agree. It's tough not to be overpowered. I also hate that u have to actively hinder yourself to get some sort of challenge. Still a pretty good FF.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    Fuck me, I looked at license-boards for twelve hours.

edited May 2017
    Managed to get that final (and hardest) 1000.000 Score Attack achievement in Trials of Gilgamesh, that was a little... Rough.

Landed on 1150.000 by the end of it, was initially doubting I'd ever get this one because it seemed impossible... Well it was, until I actually learned to parry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jINKNLz4EEM

Sirialis on

Slowdown issues were addressed in a patch way back, but that was more than a few iOS updates ago.

Randomly played through FFVI again. That's a great game that's really hard not to make trivial very quickly, especially if you're a completionist.

Oh really?

Did they add the spell casting quotes back in?

• Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular

Oh really?

Did they add the spell casting quotes back in?

They didn't, at least not in Android, which really sucks.

PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
    Bummer. I loved those, even with the old wonky translation.

It's unfortunate that they updated versions really are a tradeoff. I love the retranslation and the animated cinematics, but there's a noticeable drop in sound quality for spell effects and some other in combat sounds.

Some people are saying that if the second job's board goes around a tile locked by an esper, and touches the part on the other side, you can just keep going on the first job's board while ignoring the esper-lock.

Fuck this Spatial Reasoning Exam XII. I've seen enough psychologists to see where this is going.

• OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    The Tactics talk resulted in me reinstalling on my phone. I liked the game the first time around years back, but the story was convoluted and difficult to follow out the gate, so I never got too drawn in beyond loving the job system.

Way different now that I've got a vague memory of motivations and the endless character names. The gameplay starts slow as hell, but the storytelling is way more intriguing than I remembered right out the gate.

Not sure how long it'll take me to play through again, but this thing is quickly growing on me.

edited May 2017
    The Tactics talk resulted in me reinstalling on my phone. I liked the game the first time around years back, but the story was convoluted and difficult to follow out the gate, so I never got too drawn in beyond loving the job system.

Way different now that I've got a vague memory of motivations and the endless character names. The gameplay starts slow as hell, but the storytelling is way more intriguing than I remembered right out the gate.

Not sure how long it'll take me to play through again, but this thing is quickly growing on me.

Tactics is pretty awesome. It came at a time when Square was really knocking it out of the park with story and direction. Multiple antagonists with their own agendas, forming threads that weave between the layers of the mundane and the fantastic. Delita, alone, is probably the most realized and fleshed out character ever created in a Square game, to say nothing of the other main characters, who are all solid.

Nightslyr on
This discussion has been closed.