As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Final Fantasy] V Four Job Fiesta starts Monday! Play for charity! Play for fun!

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    We installed it and tried it out, music sounds much better than the original. Seems like they updated PC version audio to the PS1 audio.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Just this week of work left and then I'm free for 7 days. Come on Friday.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    With all the talk about the combat speculation in FFXV I'll wait to see the game before in depth before I make my opinion on that matter.

I can totally understand that the combat make look basic or uninteresting to some people, so perhaps wait on your purchase till some people here explain it more in detail after we have got our claws on it?

I love deep combat games but I also love my turn base RPGs so I'm just as interested as any one else to see under the hood.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    With all the talk about the combat speculation in FFXV I'll wait to see the game before in depth before I make my opinion on that matter.

I can totally understand that the combat make look basic or uninteresting to some people, so perhaps wait on your purchase till some people here explain it more in detail after we have got our claws on it?

I love deep combat games but I also love my turn base RPGs so I'm just as interested as any one else to see under the hood.

Try the combat out yourself in the Judgement Demo.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Dark Souls combat is perfectly fine. I don't know why you want to use it as a comparison as its settings, themes, style of combat, and entire point of view about it is so totally and tonally different from final fantasy 15.

Because we aren't talking about the feel or the actual mechanics.

You said you found it visually dull. You chose that word.

So just because the letters on the box are different the animations in the game have to be a certain way or it's dull? But if the box said something different suddenly it wouldn't be dull any more? We are definitely in crazy town now.

And you yourself said you can't compare it to turn based games so don't go talking about "final fantasy precedence" now. You already shot down comparing the old games to this yourself dude. You can't use comparisons when they work for you and then tell others they can't do the same because in that situation it doesn't work for you.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Be extra careful out there!

Youtube spoilers are supposedly getting bad!

I'v been just blocking the landing screen off whenever I go so I can just click on the channel I wan to go to.

Patch notes Menu access while driving sounds like a great addition.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I'm not sure I like those "Wait Mode" additions; it kind of makes it seem less like a precision tool and more like "Here, let's make the game easier for you. . ." The other QOL changes sound great (warping in field, music outside of the car - as the background world music seems to take WAY too long to proc).

And thank god I've only been watching election videos, Jeff Greene playthroughs and DPS fail compilations. My FFXV clicks haven't altered my recommended video page. I did see one video title, but it was a spoiler that wasn't really a spoiler:
    Was about "Old Noctis" facing off against some person. . .no idea what the name was as I immediately looked away like it was the Ark of the Covenant.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    I'm hoping, from reports based on Judgment, that the combat is a lot more fluid and intuitive.

The combat kicks ass. It is very fluid, and is going to take I think people quite awhile to really feel like they've mastered it (I can't wait to see the combat combo videos, as well as the dumpster fire that will be the DarkSydePhil playthrough).

Most who have played the previous demos (I couldn't get past the toy-box bullshit and didn't play Duscae), most have said the Duscae demo has the most in common with what we have now.
    This is not good news. Duscae combat (both versions) was somewhere between a train wreck and a dumpster fire. It was functional, but probably the most anti-fun combat I've ever experienced in an action RPG.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    The Sauce wrote: »
    I'm hoping, from reports based on Judgment, that the combat is a lot more fluid and intuitive.

The combat kicks ass. It is very fluid, and is going to take I think people quite awhile to really feel like they've mastered it (I can't wait to see the combat combo videos, as well as the dumpster fire that will be the DarkSydePhil playthrough).

Most who have played the previous demos (I couldn't get past the toy-box bullshit and didn't play Duscae), most have said the Duscae demo has the most in common with what we have now.
    This is not good news. Duscae combat (both versions) was somewhere between a train wreck and a dumpster fire. It was functional, but probably the most anti-fun combat I've ever experienced in an action RPG.

Most in common with does not mean the exact same as. It's that plus updated. As you said it was functional. It's been tweaked to be made into something better. Doesn't mean it's going to appeal to you necessarily but again the one thing no one who has played the JD demo has been naysaying is the combat including folks who DIDN'T enjoy Duscae. So in a general sense it's very good news.

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure I like those "Wait Mode" additions; it kind of makes it seem less like a precision tool and more like "Here, let's make the game easier for you. . ." The other QOL changes sound great (warping in field, music outside of the car - as the background world music seems to take WAY too long to proc).

And thank god I've only been watching election videos, Jeff Greene playthroughs and DPS fail compilations. My FFXV clicks haven't altered my recommended video page. I did see one video title, but it was a spoiler that wasn't really a spoiler:
    Was about "Old Noctis" facing off against some person. . .no idea what the name was as I immediately looked away like it was the Ark of the Covenant.

IIRC, they originally pitched "wait mode" as being for people who wanted an easier, more laidback experience. I'm not surprised it has modifications beyond just stopping time. Though like most games, I wish you could switch all that stuff on or off at will.

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular

Try the combat out yourself in the Judgement Demo.

I have already, played the one on the PSN JP store about 4 days ago.

I somehow feel there's more at least or like to believe in the full game.

• Options
    edited November 2016

IIRC, they originally pitched "wait mode" as being for people who wanted an easier, more laidback experience. I'm not surprised it has modifications beyond just stopping time. Though like most games, I wish you could switch all that stuff on or off at will.

I still can't tell if all that is Ascension tree stuff. If it is than you can just not unlock the stuff to avoid. But who knows! I hope it works out for those who want that style though. I'm going full action mode but I support the option being there for others.

EDIT: The more I read it the more it's written the same as the other Ascension stuff. It seems like it really does have it's own ascension stuff now, that isn't just default stuff.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Ultimate Edition shipping emails just went out!

I HAVE A TRACKING NUMBER.

Its happening people.

• Options
    ShadowofVTShadowofVT Robot Overlord Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Ultimate Edition shipping emails just went out!

I HAVE A TRACKING NUMBER.

Its happening people.

Yup, got mine today too.

Only 6 more days before I go dark, since I've got an extra week of waiting thanks to work travel.

• Options
    Turkey day break has officially started so that gets me through to Monday to no issue. But man.. Tuesday at work is gonna be brutal...

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    okay yeah

that's pretty fucking hilarious

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular

Ruined by the fact that there's an XBox 1 title peaking out from underneath it.
    No one in Japan has an Xbox!

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    That seems like an error but its sold out anyway so whatevs.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Duscae ruled

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    So what is day 2 and day 1 gonna be? Is Day 1 Garland?

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    2 would be Firion days.

1 WOL days, ???? days, or Ask Prishe days.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    That seems like an error but its sold out anyway so whatevs.

I saw it on CNN.com; if VGChartz is to be believed MS is getting creamed in pre-orders by about 5 to 1. Getting a few copies in the hands of those who haven't already jumped at a significant discount to show first-week activity (and move more units) isn't a bad idea.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    2 would be Firion days.

One more day until Goblin Princess is with her beloved.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    If anyone is on the fence, NewEgg has it for 30 bucks on XB1. 50 bucks on PS4. The demand for the XB1 version has got to be adysmmal. FFXV sits at 19 and 94 for the PS4 and XB1 versions respectively, a 6 and 21 for within eco-system game charts (FFXV is beaten by the requisite sports games and DEEP discounts on Skyrim and TLoU).

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Just realized that Amazon is sold out of both special editions. Everyone else seems to have it, though?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    I was going to order from Amazon for that Prime discount on pre-orders, but I happen to have the day off on Tuesday and sometimes deliveries don't show up until 3-4 in the afternoon and that seems like a waste of a perfectly good all morning video game session.

I've never pre-ordered a digital PS4 game, will there be an early download option? What time does it unlock?

• Options
    There is an early download, yes, and here on the east coast games typically unlock at midnight EST

• Options
    Man seeing some pictures of people receiving their copies in the mail already...

And I've decided to be a good bf and see my gfs choir concert thingy tuesday night.

Thank goodness I took a 4 day weekend after that!

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I have a five day weekend starting now until Tuesday. You'd think I'd be sour that I wouldn't get that break when FFXV comes out, but I'm not.

There's no "wrong" way to play games, you do you. But with a 10 year conceptual wait as well as waiting for ages for the next numbered FF, I really want to suggest that folks not try to marathon it as fast as they can. I'm going slow and steady, I want it to last.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I'll probably get it in a few months, after I get a PS4 and play through Gravity Rush.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Also, not to dredge up "that" topic again, but I couldn't help but take notice at the newest piece of countdown artwork posted today:

It's probably just an artist's interpretation and not in the game itself, but fuck.....that's a way better outift.

So many years of grief they could have saved if they went with that....

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Ah fuck...I wish I would have waited before I downloaded.it then.

Oh well.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Goggles are pretty great.

• Options
    Family was watching football, I was paying it no mind like a good American

And then I heard some music and thought "that sounds like FF" and turned around and saw an awesome FFXV commercial

So they're definitely spending ad dollars, at least

• Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Family was watching football, I was paying it no mind like a good American

And then I heard some music and thought "that sounds like FF" and turned around and saw an awesome FFXV commercial

So they're definitely spending ad dollars, at least

Yeah, saw the same, was specifically an XBone version ad.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    2 would be Firion days.

All I'm gonna say is it better be "Onion Knight days" and not anything about the remake.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    But which Cecil for IV?

Which Cecil???

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
This discussion has been closed.