As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Final Fantasy] V Four Job Fiesta starts Monday! Play for charity! Play for fun!

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Yeah, BLM has two modes:

Astral Fire
    Umbral Ice

AF is gained by using fire spells. It increases their punch while also increasing the amount of MP drained.
    UI is gained by using ice spells. It increases MP regeneration like whoa.

So, the basic idea is to nuke as much as possible with fire spells until MP is drained, then use ice spells to regen MP, then switch back to fire spells to nuke, then switch back to Ice spells, then....

Thunder is woven in because it's a damage over time (that has a fun proc).

• Options
    And, most jobs have some sort of hook like that to keep them interesting.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I heard recently the demo for FF14 is forever now? Is that true?

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Can I cast the spells that make the peoples fall down?
    010503.jpg

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Yes. No time restriction, caps at level 35, some other restrictions on stuff.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

So level everyone to 35 before paying for it?

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular

It is, but only for new accounts. So if you say, bought the game and didn't get far several years back, you can't use that account.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

So level everyone to 35 before paying for it?

Maybe? You might want to level one class first before switching to the others. Leveling other classes is easier when you have more resources (like gil to buy nifty equipment, or your chocobro).

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    @cj iwakura also, if you really start going, set up your... extended? (can't remember the exactly term) hotbars via the triggers. Makes doing a lot of different actions a lot easier.

Gosh I love that game but I always bounce off of it after maybe a month back each time. I'll try again sometime soon I'm absolutely sure.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I was thinking about doing some of the free to 35 FF14, but then I remembered how much there is to have to grind out to get through the main story. Which is what you have to do to be able to do almost everything.

The required main story of the base game is nearly 200 quests. Which is before all the extra stuff after 50 and the expansions. That is downright daunting, especially since at least back in the beginning some of those were dungeons and stuff.

Though I did read you can try the PVP at level 30 now, and it was given some attention. That gave me some interest in just seeing it.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    They've actually introduced (will introduce?) something to deal with that. They're called Jump Potions. You buy them for real money, drink them in-game, and automatically have all the story quests complete. $18 to skip the base game, and $25 for one that skips the base game and the first expansion.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    If you are going to charge real money to skip the main story in your game... Yeah, I dont even know, that just seems like Activision levels of being a shitheel.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    It's a response to a systemic issue of all MMO's that have been out for a while.
    Telling someone that ff14 is good, but you'll have to play it for a few months before you are able to get to the 'real' game is a hard sell.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Charging money to skip your own games shortcomings seems like a bad way to go about it.

10 days until Episode Prompto is out, hope it will be better than the Gladiolus one.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    There's such a volume of main story out there now that, with subscription fees, you're almost certainly paying that much to clear the story regardless, just because of the time it takes to do so. Regardless of the quality of the story.

• Options
    It's not really a shortcoming though? The MSQ is really good. The jump potions are for if you really gotta play with your friends now, when your friends are already caught up.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Yeah, if the main story is good thats fine and all.

My problem is charging a bunch of money to simply skip it, especially in a monthly subscription game.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    The first 30-40 levels are not that good. The end of the base game was decent.

What I heard was good was basically everything added after that, especially the expansions

• Options
    The money is basically you paying for the month or so it would've taken to clear it normally. So there's little difference between someone who does use the potion and someone who doesn't, except for the actual time. Free is always nicer, of course.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Sirialis wrote: »

My problem is charging a bunch of money to simply skip it, especially in a monthly subscription game.

When you start to get 2+ expansions deep into games you run into situations where you want to play the new stuff with a friend, but you can't because you've got to play catch up forever.

That's no fun. So skip mechanics are helpful.

They need to give you one for free though if you're buying the base game and both expansions at once.

Viskod on
  • Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    The money is basically you paying for the month or so it would've taken to clear it normally. So there's little difference between someone who does use the potion and someone who doesn't, except for the actual time. Free is always nicer, of course.

Well I mean, you don't suddenly get to play for free by doing that. The difference is the one person is paying the 15 a month or whatever and waiting, the other pays $33-$40 immediately then resumes paying $15. That also doesn't factor in that you may be actually buying the game. Lots of people can't shell out $100 for a game then continue paying for it monthly that easily.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Paying to jump through all the hoops right to the end is damn near an MMO staple now. It's not a great staple, given what it represents, but I don't think there's really a good alternative. Other than being magnanimous and not charging for it I guess (I think Blizzard now gives away a free one with every expansion now or something). I would personally never do it if it was my first time through a game. But for alts, or an MMO vet who's jumping ship, doesn't care, and just wants to start playing with their friends as fast as possible, it's about the only decent option available.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »

It's an MMO thing not an FF14 thing. It's not them being shitheels it's them offering a product that people ask for and has shown to be used (at an even higher cost) in other MMOs.

• Options
    I think charging for it and discouraging new players from using it is a good idea too. It's there if you really need it, but new players are cutting themselves out of experiencing some of the best content the game has to offer by using that potion.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    I think charging for it and discouraging new players from using it is a good idea too. It's there if you really need it, but new players are cutting themselves out of experiencing some of the best content the game has to offer by using that potion.

Yep. When dealing with a multiplayer game like this there has to be SOME sort of cost.

Otherwise you would be punishing players that do want to experience the story, which there are quite a lot of.

When you look at the big picture and actually understand the whole process it all makes sense. Jumping to conclusions never helps anyone.

• Options
    Apparently it is/was FF V Job Fiesta time. Saw a 4-person Fiesta speed run on Twitch today.

• Options
    You know what's really disappointing? No FF compilation on the Switch. Games I-VI in one bundle, with the classic sprites and sounds, to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the franchise.

• Options
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Apparently it is/was FF V Job Fiesta time. Saw a 4-person Fiesta speed run on Twitch today.

Starts Monday, a cursory Googling has informed me.

• Options
    CSStheGr8CSStheGr8 Registered User regular
    Usually starts at the end of The Run, wind jobs have been posted now. Got black mage, same as the first year. Still have yet to do blue or knight.

3DS FC: 2363-6921-5075
  • Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    You know what's really disappointing? No FF compilation on the Switch. Games I-VI in one bundle, with the classic sprites and sounds, to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the franchise.

For that I might actually buy a Switch.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    I paid for the jump potion and spent some time watching cutscenes. I don't regret the decision. All my friends are already power leveling new content and it got tiresome being stuck out in the woods by myself most of the time aside from linkshell chat. So functionally I'm starting from HW which I heard isn't as much as an outright slog. I just don't have the time to crank out legit some 120-150 post 50 quests to even get the option to start the expansion stuff.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I was really digging FF14 at first then then 'MMO thing' hit like a ton of bricks. It's very polished, yet still not as much as TSW(which has stellar voice acting for every quest), but maybe I'm just spoiled. I'll probably still dabble in it here and there to see if it picks up.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I was really digging FF14 at first then then 'MMO thing' hit like a ton of bricks. It's very polished, yet still not as much as TSW(which has stellar voice acting for every quest), but maybe I'm just spoiled. I'll probably still dabble in it here and there to see if it picks up.

The quality of the game takes a big upward turn once you get past the first part of the story. Mostly because the initial 2.0 stuff was what they had when they first transformed the game into a good game from the disaster it was before. After that they had more freedom to actually work on the story stuff and start using voice acting more and more the further you get. It takes a while to get there but it only gets better.

• Options
    Yeah, it's important to remember XIV's history.

It was an absolute debacle at launch. A system hog that was also just a bad game. Square-Enix basically paid millions for a game that was considered one of the worst in the genre between weird systems, bad performance, and literal cut-and-paste zones (seriously, look up 1.0 zones on YouTube... large swaths were simply cut, rotated, and pasted into different spots). Not wanting to simply punt on a multi-million dollar investment, SE brought Yoshi-P in to fix it.

The game you're playing now is a 100% rebuild. The in-game 5 year gap between what happened during the Calamity and now is actually about the transition between the old game and the new iteration. 1.0 ended with Dalamud turning red and filling the sky. 2.0 starts after that.

So, everything you're currently dealing with is backstory. As maligned as 1.0 was, it set up the Primals, the conflict with Garlemald, the various nation states, etc. From a story perspective, character levels 1-40 is about you (literally) getting off the boat in a new land, finding your way while learning about its history and the current status quo. It's a crash course on what happened in 1.0 It's not balls-to-the-walls excitement, but necessary to understand the rest of the story. Without it, nothing else makes much sense.

It's also worth mentioning that a lot of the current systems weren't even around during the A Realm Reborn (2.0) phase. The rebuild took a lot of effort, and it was a bit paired down compared to other MMOs out of the necessity of getting it out the door. The patches and expansions since have really added to the experience.

• Options
    Yea it's funny playing through the story after all the patches are out from the start because each time you pass the point of one patch to the next you can legit see a noticeable increase of voice acting. Each one is a bit more than the last.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    So if I wanted to try out a realm reborn the , the first 35 levels are free as a demo? Would I find it in the demo section of a realm reborn on PSN?

never die on
  • Options
    never die wrote: »
    So if I wanted to try out a realm reborn the , the first 35 levels are free as a demo? Would I find it in the demo section of a realm reborn on PSN?

Just download ARR, and it lets you play it free.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Blue Mage for the Wind Crystal. I'm gonna have to remember where to get the big ones, been a couple years since I played.

• Options
    Blue Mage for the Wind Crystal. I'm gonna have to remember where to get the big ones, been a couple years since I played.

You can get Bloodfeast from the bats in the first cave, and Aero from the Wind temple, both of which are great for early game.

This discussion has been closed.