As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[League of Legends] Preseason is upon us!

• credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Jookie wrote: »
    credeiki wrote: »
    I just got reprimanded today in normals (while carrying as Jhin, although ultimately everyone else did poorly and my team surrendered although we could win teamfights...) for building Youmuus. I get that it's not good for other adcs any more since they took off the AS, but it is bad on Jhin/bad in general? It seemed fine? I guess on champion.gg people are building ER+RFC+IE...did changes to lethality make it bad or something? What's the deal? I was doing tons of damage (but I was also fed, so hard to tell).
    It's not as good early but it's ultimately fine. It just takes a while to scale up to its old effectiveness, which sucks because if you're looking to scale up most people might as well build the original scaling critical build. I don't think lethality is dead and I know that there are Jhin mains that still build him straight lethality first. It's not a bad, awful, worthless item. It still costs less and spikes faster than any crit item.

If memory serves, Youmuu's was effectively nerfed in comparison to all the old items since the old items all had ten armor pen, Youmuu's had twenty. Now all the upgraded dirk items have fifteen so they grant more pen eventually.

Ah, ok. My team was like "you messed up! Now you won't do any damage!" and instead of arguing I was like "sorry my b" (I was 6/1 and destroying fights and teammates were like 0/x, so....). I still like the movement speed, too. But ok, I'll go back to the crit build and see how it feels--especially if a youmuu's rush is going to signal to people that I am behind the times.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Reminder to self: Maximum of one person per group allowed to play off-main at a time if we want to actually stand a chance of winning.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Man, Shyvana is back big time. Won the last five flex games with her jg on very not-one sidedgames.

1&2: Top and Mid feed or lose lane hard. Carry by diving the enemy squishies and protecting the adc/support.
    3: Our good Blitz support DC's 20mins in. Slowly claw our way to a 4v5 victory over the next 25mins.
    4: Leona support constantly AFK a good chunk of laning phase making our Vayne get smashed. our Mid Anivia DC's for a good 7+ mins at the end parts of laning phase. Leona DCs again later too for a good 5mins. Still win, tooth an nail, after losing a previous baron and lots of dragons and an inhib while we were very behind on towers.

Bloodrazor --> Frozen Mallet --> Full Tank is legit. She gets so much damage off her new E it's stupid.

And Colossus gives you that dragon-saving shield when you jump right in the middle of the enemy team, I love it so.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0Ftj-7jgfg

The newest Doom Bot mode, I guess.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0Ftj-7jgfg

The newest Doom Bot mode, I guess.

These new stealth changes are ridiculous.

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I just got reprimanded today in normals (while carrying as Jhin, although ultimately everyone else did poorly and my team surrendered although we could win teamfights...) for building Youmuus. I get that it's not good for other adcs any more since they took off the AS, but it is bad on Jhin/bad in general? It seemed fine? I guess on champion.gg people are building ER+RFC+IE...did changes to lethality make it bad or something? What's the deal? I was doing tons of damage (but I was also fed, so hard to tell).

Essence Reaver, Rapidfire, IE is the core Jhin build now, but it's not like going ghostblade instead of reaver is going to lose you a game you would've otherwise won. Lethality isn't good early game now and Ghostblade doesn't given enough stats any more for ADCs.

• Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    Well if estimations are correct chests will reset tomorrow with the start of Season 7. (Why is it patch 6.24 and not 7.1, if it's the start of season 7?) I got 16 chests this year, which feels pretty good; 2 are still unopened, waiting for key frags. I got a few chests more out of luck than skill in modes like One For All and Ascension, but most felt I worked for them. Anybody really go for it and get a ton of chests?

• IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Red Raevyn wrote: »
    Well if estimations are correct chests will reset tomorrow with the start of Season 7. (Why is it patch 6.24 and not 7.1, if it's the start of season 7?) I got 16 chests this year, which feels pretty good; 2 are still unopened, waiting for key frags. I got a few chests more out of luck than skill in modes like One For All and Ascension, but most felt I worked for them. Anybody really go for it and get a ton of chests?

I got the initial four plus one every week. (Edit: 41 chests this year. I was tired last night when I was looking and missed a couple.) Unfortunately, thanks to a combination of not playing much in the past few weeks and losing when I do, I have 6 unopened and only two key fragments.

(You did ask.)

Ivellius on
    Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
    Dear League of Legends thread:

I hereby resolve not to play Ranked during the first week of placements when matchmaking is a total shitshow due to the reset.

Hold me accountable to this resolution!

...honestly maybe I should wait two weeks, but can I do it? I'm totally fine abstaining from ranked during the preseason but somehow knowing the real thing exists is too tempting.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I accidentally played a placement match as it switched over while we were in a game. Good thing we won.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    edited December 2016
    Psh, I'm hyped AF to play ranked on day 1 of the new season. I don't care about matchmaking, I'm just excited for a new season. Even if the week 1 placements cause me to place lower it's not going to keep me from getting wherever I'm going to end up anyway.

Speaking of which, I thought today was the beginning of the new season but I guess it's tomorrow. Nooooooooo.

Joshmvii on
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Psh, I'm hyped AF to play ranked on day 1 of the new season. I don't care about matchmaking, I'm just excited for a new season. Even if the week 1 placements cause me to place lower it's not going to keep me from getting wherever I'm going to end up anyway.

Speaking of which, I thought today was the beginning of the new season but I guess it's tomorrow. Nooooooooo.
    It's partially about the placements, but it's partially because my least favorite games are the ones where toplane is crazy imbalanced to the point where even winning bot hard can't save us from the unstoppable fed juggernaut top, and I think those games are much more likely to happen while elos are crazy compressed and there's a high chance of silver-plat lane matchups. And sure, I'm as likely to get the plat as the opponents but...still probably not worth the risk.

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

It's partially about the placements, but it's partially because my least favorite games are the ones where toplane is crazy imbalanced to the point where even winning bot hard can't save us from the unstoppable fed juggernaut top, and I think those games are much more likely to happen while elos are crazy compressed and there's a high chance of silver-plat lane matchups. And sure, I'm as likely to get the plat as the opponents but...still probably not worth the risk.

Um excuse me those are the most fun games :p

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • JookieJookie Registered User regular
    Now that Camille is coming out, Warwick's update should be the next "new" champion. Whether that's the new patch just now going on the PBE or a future one I don't know.

butts
  • imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    What sick monster decided it was ok to give us ascension two weeks in a row and then all for one two weeks in a row?

When you're hanging out botlane, maybe 1-0-1 up 20 cs and maybe a dragon or something, just chilling, haven't taken the tower yet

and enemy top lane gets first tower and is like 4-0 and TPs bot and kills you

and then the whole team starts yelling

and then you try to take bot tower but this time enemy toplane just walks bot and kills you again

and then you maybe want to group mid or something but enemy toplane is like 8-2 and you have barely completed your first item and have no armor pen yet

ded

edited December 2016
    My new season resolution is to actually play a bunch of ranked games and not repeat the "over prepare in normals, do placements, don't play for 6 months" of my first two years in League of Legends. :p My realization this fall that normal games are silly and ranked games are more reasonable should make that pretty easy, though.

Red Raevyn on
  • Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    6.7 million final prize pool last worlds, from one skin and some icons.

http://www.lolesports.com/en_US/articles/2016-league-legends-world-championship-numbers

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    imdointhis wrote: »
    What sick monster decided it was ok to give us ascension two weeks in a row and then all for one two weeks in a row?

I wish I had not upgraded to the beta client because I either cannot find the rotating modes or they're not available there.

I also don't care enough to roll back the client (if that's even an option). But it's good to know I haven't missed any great times. Hexakill, poroking and ARURF are where it's at.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Oh hey new Gangplank skin on the PBE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKce96nhHVY

Plus a bunch of new Warring Kingdoms skins. Azir, Garen, and Vi. And Heartseeker Lucian and Quinn.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Oh hey new Gangplank skin on the PBE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKce96nhHVY

Plus a bunch of new Warring Kingdoms skins. Azir, Garen, and Vi. And Heartseeker Lucian and Quinn.

A space pirate and a subtle Tobias Fate reference all in one skin!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXudpBa8vn8

(For those who don't get it, Tobias mains Kano in Mortal Kombat X.)

Dac Vin on
    edited December 2016
    Penumbra wrote: »
    imdointhis wrote: »

I wish I had not upgraded to the beta client because I either cannot find the rotating modes or they're not available there.

I also don't care enough to roll back the client (if that's even an option). But it's good to know I haven't missed any great times. Hexakill, poroking and ARURF are where it's at.

They aren't there in the new client. You don't have to roll back though, before you put in your password there's a link in bottom right to launch the old client. Coming weekend is Nexus Siege, then it'll be 2 weekends of Poro King.

Edit: 6.24 added rotating game mode to the new client, but starting with Legend of the Poro King. So weekend after this one they'll be there.
    "ROTATING GAME MODES Rotating game modes are now available in the updated client starting with Legend of the Poro King. "

Red Raevyn on
    Red Raevyn wrote: »
    My new season resolution is to actually play a bunch of ranked games and not repeat the "over prepare in normals, do placements, don't play for 6 months" of my first two years in League of Legends. :p My realization this fall that normal games are silly and ranked games are more reasonable should make that pretty easy, though.

I quit playing normal games as soon as I realized that ranked is exactly the same thing except you get to see if you're getting better at the game over time. I play champs I've never played before in ranked, and it's 50/50 whether I'll carry or get stomped. I just don't care.

Granted, this season I plan to just play ADC every game and actually try to climb to see if I can get to plat over the course of the season, but if I get the itch to play whatever else I'll do it too.

They haven't announced the reward for getting gold+ in both solo and flex have they? Flex queue has been trash for me and I may not even bother with it, but that depends on what i'm going to get if I play until gold in that queue.

edited December 2016
    Two games into my new solo Q placements, queueing bot/jungle both times. First game I am Graves, get a kill bot but then all 3 lanes feed hard, including Teemo top who never wards once and dies until Jax jungle is 4/0. Second game I'm jungle, team asks me to play a tank so I play Vi. Get a kill bot. Try to go top and gank Illaoi bc I had baited her ult the previous gank and didn't think it would be back up, instead it is up and she double kills Fiora and me. Oh well, I'll just pressure bot and mid while the Fiora plays safe. Suddenly bot is dumpstering, and mid gets in on the party. Our Caitlyn went like 15/0 and our Lux mid went like 12/1.

Oh league.

Man, 3 games into placements queueing bot/jungle, 3 jungle games. I thought autofill was supposed to help with this. Not really mad though, because the 2nd and 3rd games I played Vi and my whole team just dumpstered the enemies. I'm not even very good with Vi, and I don't think I could personally carry a game with her, but if my team gets leads I feel like I can snowball their lanes and close the game with her.

What's a good Vi build that doesn't include Triforce because I don't want to spend that much gold on offense? These two games I went Warrior->Black Cleaver->Dead Man's Plate->started building Banshee's but the games ended.

Joshmvii on
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Warrior>Cleaver>Tank is solid. You'll erase their armor on the first combo. Triforce does give you a lot more output, but...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy

When you're hanging out botlane, maybe 1-0-1 up 20 cs and maybe a dragon or something, just chilling, haven't taken the tower yet

and enemy top lane gets first tower and is like 4-0 and TPs bot and kills you

and then the whole team starts yelling

and then you try to take bot tower but this time enemy toplane just walks bot and kills you again

and then you maybe want to group mid or something but enemy toplane is like 8-2 and you have barely completed your first item and have no armor pen yet

ded

He didn't TP but the game I just played was so much like your description it was eerie. We'd actually crushed bot (51 cs to 19, 4 kills, first turret) and tried rotating to get the next turrets, but the rest of the team just did not want to win. At least I got to do this super satisfying play - you can take me out of the jungle, but it's still in my blood!

https://youtu.be/e_kuHcuUNHc

Polaritie wrote: »
    Warrior>Cleaver>Tank is solid. You'll erase their armor on the first combo. Triforce does give you a lot more output, but...

Thanks, that was my thoughts. I'm not interested in building triforce on Vi. I'd play another champ if I wanted to go full offense.

So I'm 4-2 in placements so far, and every game has been a clown fiesta.

Wins:

Vayne - whole team stomps including me
    Vayne - whole team stomps including me
    Vi - whole team stomps including me
    Vi - whole team stomps including me

Losses:

Graves jg - Enemy team stomps across the map.
    Shyvana jg - I outfarm my whole team by far plus get kills, but i'm 6/2 and everybody else on my team is like 0/4 and we go on to get stomped from that.

I'd sure like to get a game that was actually competitive for more than like 10 minutes soon.

• imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    Are the servers messed up? I keep getting patcher errors and sometimes it just refuses to connect to the update server at all

• KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    So when do I get to start playing ranked games? I'm only level 12 at the moment.

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    Koreg wrote: »
    So when do I get to start playing ranked games? I'm only level 12 at the moment.

Level 30 and when you have.... 12? champions unlocked.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
    I think they screwed up the auto-fill, because last week it was working decently well so I didn't get my secondary role every game. Now I'm queueing bot/jungle and have gotten jungle 5 out of 7 placements.

• Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    My coworkers forced me to play ARAM.
    First game I got Draven, what the fuck does Draven even do? I have no idea and I don't feel like I'm any wiser than when I started.
    I went 1/8/17 and I honestly don't even know if that's as bad as it could've been. I definitely don't like ARAM.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular
    Penumbra wrote: »
    Koreg wrote: »

Level 30 and when you have.... 12? champions unlocked.

You have to have 16 champions unlocked for ranked, though A) that's not all that hard to get and B) there's a decent chance it changes soon (they've talked about including more bans). The reason is no one can have the same champion, and there are 6 bans, so you have to be able to have something left to pick in case everything you have is picked or banned.

There are currently 12 champions that cost only 450 IP, and you should still be able to get 3 free champions for following Riot on Facebook (Tristana), YouTube (Alistar), and Twitter (Garen, so he does fall into both categories).
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    My coworkers forced me to play ARAM.
    First game I got Draven, what the fuck does Draven even do? I have no idea and I don't feel like I'm any wiser than when I started.
    I went 1/8/17 and I honestly don't even know if that's as bad as it could've been. I definitely don't like ARAM.

Catch axes, basically. I am a bad Draven, though.

Howling Abyss haters unite!

Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I think the biggest thing I hate about this game is time.

1) Nobody ever surrenders at 20 unless their base has already been broken to pieces anyways. It's not ranked, just let it go already. I mean, yes, people tend to be awful at closing games out and you can often win by dragging it out to the 50 minute mark where diminishing returns let you catch up (plus easier farm from being pushed in), but you could have gotten another game or two in by that point.

2) Practicing a champion requires practicing their laning first and foremost (because otherwise you're always behind and then the answer is "hide and farm" no matter who you are). But laning is maybe 10 minutes out of 30-40, so you have to spend all that time just waiting for a conclusion to occur before you can practice lane again.

Basically, it feels like the only way to ever be relevant to a game is to play someone you've practiced to death, but practicing means you waste 75%+ of the game time not practicing.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    You know, I'm really unsure which queue I want to roll into this year. I'm actually thinking I may go into Flex, if just because there's a chance for the rest of my team to be queuing together and so actually trying to win and work together more.

EDIT: Fish & Dragons: We get the job done.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    @Polaritie I would use a mode that just ended the game at 10 minutes and gave you some smidgeon of IP. Could learn so much, so much faster.