As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pokemon] SE++ League in planning, yo! Page 95 or OP, yo!

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    Melding wrote: »
    The thing with Smogon is they do have their own metagame within the community. A build i suggested and is popular because it counters or compliments another popular build. without that the tiers kind of break down a bit. there is also the whole thing of tiers being based on use and not actually power, which is why a lot of strong fire types don't get play because stealth rocks is popular in smogon which greatly reduces fire types. In a metagame with less stealth rocks fire is a lot more viable.

yeah but stealth rock is popular because it's an excellent move

that depends on how you define "excellent"

"softens up targets, wears down stall teams, severely weakens many pokemon, breaks sturdy and focus sash" seems like it'd reach most standards of "excellent" to me

I think it's the third thing that bothers me. The rest of it I'm fine with, and see the point and necessity of

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i dunno at this point it's been a Thing for more gens than it hasn't

i used to hate it but at some point that's just the way things are

plus defog makes it a lot weaker than it used to be

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    So I guess I just...HAVE a Zygarde now
    or at least a partial form
    is this... gonna be important later

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Make Stealth Rock get destroyed by a particular type when it switches in, like what can happen with Toxic Spikes.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    the most frustrating element to me is that they still do that thing where they change available TMs or what pokemon can learn what TMs over generations, but still let you import pokemon with those moves

which means that what I'm assuming is supposed to be a balance change completely fails and actually does nothing but raise the barrier to entry for people that want those moves on their pokemon

if you don't want everything and its brother to have stealth rock then you should strip it out of imported pokemon's movesets if they can't learn it in the game they're moving to

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    ph blake wrote: »
    I've only messed with the prebank OU stuff on showdown, cause fuck dealing with nonsense like Genesect and Aegislash.

It's a pretty fun format since so much stuff is locked behind ORAS move tutors and no one has any idea what what they're doing.

It's that defined by what's in the Aloladex rather than what's available in-game? 'Cause you can get Honest from island scan.

Huh, I just checked and yeah Aegislash is allowed.

I guess most people running prebank teams on showdown are those who want to mess around with the new stuff and that's why I haven't seen him.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    So I guess I just...HAVE a Zygarde now
    or at least a partial form
    is this... gonna be important later

not really, it's just a neat pokemon you can use if you want

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    The Pain: Bug
    The Fear: Poison
    The End: Grass
    The Fury: Fire/Flying
    The Sorrow: Ghost

Volgin: Electric, evolves into Ghost/Fire

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    The Fury is definitely Fire/Ghost

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Whats the point of banning cosmog

Same as Phione.

• Options
    Liquid Snake: Fox/Die

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Jonathon Joestar Fighting/Fire
    Dio - Dark/Ice or Dark/Ghost
    Joesph Joestar - Grass/Dark
    Kojo Jotaro Dark/Fighting
    Josuke Higashikata Fairy/Dragon

man this is hard

NeoToma on
  • Options
    The question arises from a conversation SilverWind and I were having while taking a drive

If we monotyped them then Link, Ganon, and Zelda would probably be Fighting, Dark, and Psychic respectively

But Zelda really feels like a Psychic/Fairy

And if we put him in a vaccum, Ganondorf feels like a Dark/Fairy, though SilverWind argues he's Dark/Ghost since he's got the whole deathless thing going on

Link is definitely fightman, but Fighting/Fairy also feels appropriate, possibly with a Hidden Ability where his attacks ignore immunities???

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    the most frustrating element to me is that they still do that thing where they change available TMs or what pokemon can learn what TMs over generations, but still let you import pokemon with those moves

which means that what I'm assuming is supposed to be a balance change completely fails and actually does nothing but raise the barrier to entry for people that want those moves on their pokemon

if you don't want everything and its brother to have stealth rock then you should strip it out of imported pokemon's movesets if they can't learn it in the game they're moving to

I bought a copy of Emerald and played all the way to the Battle Frontier just so I could get a Shuckle and teach it Defense Curl for an incredibly gimmicky and practically useless Power Trick + Defense Curl + Rollout combo, since Emerald was the only game it could learn Defense Curl in. That was a solid 20 hours or so of my life and by no metric was it "worth it".

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    The question arises from a conversation SilverWind and I were having while taking a drive

If we monotyped them then Link, Ganon, and Zelda would probably be Fighting, Dark, and Psychic respectively

And if we put him in a vaccum, Ganondorf feels like a Dark/Fairy, though SilverWind argues he's Dark/Ghost since he's got the whole deathless thing going on

Link is definitely fightman, but Fighting/Fairy also feels appropriate, possibly with a Hidden Ability where his attacks ignore immunities???

Oh absolutely all three have fairy subtype

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

Take your favorite fighty fiction character

If they were a pokemon, what sort would they be? No need to use existent species

Ryu: fighting
    Ken: fighting/fire
    Chun-Li: water
    Cammy: bug/flying
    Guile: fighting/flying
    M Bison: dark/psychic
    Balrog: dark
    Vega: steel
    FANG: poison/dark
    Akuma: dark/fighting
    Blanka: electric

• Options

Oh absolutely all three have fairy subtype

Link needs an ability that's a Fairy-equivalent of Water Absorb, so he heals HP when hit with Fairy attacks.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    NeoToma wrote: »
    Kojo Joestar Dark/Fighting
    Josuke Joestar Fairy/Dragon

man this is hard

That supposed to be "Kujo Jotaro"?

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I was going to do one for Ezio Auditore but depending on how you play them, any Assassin could have almost every conceivable typing

• Options
    edited November 2016

man this is hard

William Antonio Zepelli: Grass/Psychic. Moves include Solar Blade, Psycho Cut, Heal Pulse, and Healing Wish.

Enlong on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Whats the point of banning cosmog

and phione

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    For extra points try to figure out what kind of stats they'd have

You can assign an ability or make one up, if you want

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    And Jonathan Joestar would be able to learn every move that can be buffed by Mega Launcher. Which is probably his Ability.

Enlong on
  • Options

Link is functionally a ninja/archaeologist. Ganondorf really likes Substitute. Pretty big on mindcontrol, too. And he's weak to stupid distractions.

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    OoT Gannondorf is dark/fairy but when he evolves into WW Gannondorf he becomes dark/ghost.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options

If they were a pokemon, what sort would they be? No need to use existent species

Isn't Shun Goku Satsu Fairy-type?

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »

man this is hard

William Antonio Zepelli: Grass/Psychic. Moves include Solar Blade, Psycho Cut, Heal Pulse, and Healing Wish.

False Swipe.

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Samus is... steel/fighting? Focus on S.Atk with the Mega Launcher ability for all those good good beam-like moves
    Ridley is dragon/flying, Meta Ridley is dragon steel
    Kraid would be dragon/grass? Because it's in a grassy area? Maybe just dragon
    Phantoon is ghost, maybe ghost/fire
    I want to say Draygon is water/dragon but that feels like too many dragons

Mother Brain is psychic and then psychic/steel when it gets its metal body

Chozo would be flying/psychic

Care Free Bomb on
    8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    Spirit Tracks Zelda is just Golurk.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Samus is... steel/fighting? With the Mega Launcher ability for all those good good beam-like moves

dark samus would be steel/dark

metroids are bug/flying (that fits almost too well)

nightmare is steel/ghost

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    So I stopped thinking for about 5 seconds and saved after getting my Type:Null. It's got the Bold Nature, which I guess isn't the absolute worst and realistically I'm never going to use it in competitive because I'm sure Silvally gets the banhammer if it isn't already.

But dangit I even saved right before, all I had to do was NOT constantly save! Curse you, fear of losing progress!

• Options
    fuck i didn't even thing to see if type null could breed i just assumed it could

• Options
    does silvally really need to be banned

its stat total is pretty low and it effectively can't hold items

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »

Eviolite Type:Null is a hell of a normal type Pokémon

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    John Cena - Fighting
    AJ Styles - Fighting/Flying
    Seth Rollins - Fighting/Dark
    Roman Reigns - Fighting/Rock
    Dean Ambrose - Fighting/Dark
    Kevin Owens - Fighting/Poison
    Sami Zayn - Fighting/Normal
    Bray Wyatt - Fighting/Ghost
    Daniel Bryan - Fighting/Dragon
    Becky Lynch - Fighting/Fire
    Charlotte - Fighting/Dark
    Sasha Banks - Fighting/Steel
    Shinsuke Nakamura - Fighting
    Samoa Joe - Fighting

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Phantom Blood Dio is a Dark/Bug type, who knows Sucker Punch, Leech Life, Ice Punch, and Beat Up.

His ability is either Cursed Body, or a new ability that can cause Freeze on contact.

Stats heavily leaning towards speed and Attack, with a healthy amount of HP as well.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Samus is... steel/fighting? With the Mega Launcher ability for all those good good beam-like moves

dark samus would be steel/dark

metroids are bug/flying (that fits almost too well)

nightmare is steel/ghost

Dark Samus spends much of her existence being mostly ethereal so Ghost/Dark would make more sense, imo.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Eviolite Type:Null is a hell of a normal type Pokémon

hm hm yes that does seem pretty good

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

If consider steel for Link for the same reason I gave Vega steel (the weapon)

Or maybe just a unique ABI
    PLA wrote: »

Isn't Shun Goku Satsu Fairy-type?

I have no idea. I had to look that up to know that it's the Japanese name for Raging Demon. How is it fairy?

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    stealth rock was the start of me losing interest in competitive pokemon, it's just so fucking annoying to deal with since there's so few spinners to choose from and saying defog is a counter feels dumb when most defoggers lose most of their health coming in to deal with it

and yes, it is possible to have more granular systems than just "smogon or nintendo"; my old PO server was its own community with its own forums, and while it started from Smogon rules they diversified and made further balance decisions on their own, like banning Shadow Tag Chandelure but still letting you use Flash Fire Chandelure and the like (and made these decisions quicker than Smogon because we had a smaller council & community to consult) and also we had the item clause which I've shown a bias towards before

like, it's not EASY to maintain your own tierlist, but if you really want a better experience than what Smogon can provide it is possible

that said my baseline for any league to actually be enjoyable is just immediately ban all pokemon with a BST > 550. They're just too far above curve, a you-can-only-fight-fire-with-fire thing because they're too good and too well rounded for anything but mirror matches and hyper specific counters with lower stat totals to counter them. There's always going to be an upper tier, but when you lower the top tier so that it doesn't include those that are great at everything, there's a better flow because counters are easier to come across.

and then you spot ban the things that are still particularly problematic and every team is better off with it than without it, like aegislash

I'm also a big fan of the metagame balance philosophy of "if this mechanic invalidates an entire set of options when team/deck/whatever building it's a bad mechanic", so boot out stealth rock since it just means only the best bug and fire types can even be considered an option

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
This discussion has been closed.