Calling all gym leaders! Calling all gym leaders!
Do you have what it takes to be a leader in the PAX Pokemon League?
We're looking for up-and-coming trainers from around the world to don the green scarf and join the ranks of the PAX Pokemon League Leaders at PAX East 2017!
Our application process is pretty in-depth, but the full application is posted here. You will have to make an account on our personal forums to make an application, but all leader activities are done in that forum too!
Gym leaders are responsible for accepting challenges from eager champs-in-making, and awarding their personal badges to those they deem worthy.
Basically, in less romantic terms, as a gym leader, you'll be wandering the halls of PAX accepting challenges and playing a lot of Pokemon and having a lot of really excellent battles and giving out pins!
We're looking for players of all skill levels! This is NOT
a Pokemon tournament, and the only requirement is that you have a copy of the newest Pokemon games and can put together a team that is unique and fun to play against. If you're thinking about applying, go for it!
0) First off, being part of the PPL requires a time commitment: you'll be playing lots of pokemon, and we have meetups on every day of PAX where swarms of challengers will be clamoring to challenge you. We really recommend you go to at least one of these meetups. The best leaders will wander the halls doing what they like but will always be up for a battle. Gym leaders have battled in the Expo Halls, while queuing, during panels, all over the place. The Pokemon action never stops! Well, it does stop, you don't have to accept challenges 24/7. But we don't want you to be so elusive that no challengers can ever find you.
1) Your gym has to have a theme, and you have to train a team of Pokemon to go with that theme! You don’t strictly have to have a full team of 6 (though most leaders do, even if they don’t use them all in every battle; sometimes it’s fun to have a team of 6 and do 3-on-3 battles!) and your team doesn’t have to be at a certain level (we use flat battles, so your pokemon will be leveled appropriately). Also, and we repeat this point because it’s important: YOUR TEAM DOES NOT HAVE TO BE SUPER COMPETITIVE OR TOURNAMENT-FOCUSED.
In fact, we discourage it: gym leaders should have teams that are fun to play against, but beatable. We encourage you to build your team with Pokemon you love.
2) You MUST have passes for at least 2 days of PAX or have a very reliable way to obtain them. If you don't secure badges for at least 2 days, you can't be a gym leader! Don't make us give you the boot!
3) You're also going to be responsible for designing and ordering your badges. If you are not artistically inclined we have many people who are that will gladly give you a hand creating your badge. In the past we've gotten discounts through PureButtons, it's usually fairly inexpensive - expect to spend around 20 dollars for a set of 100, plus up to 10 dollars for shipping. You will also be responsible for having a PPL Green Scarf. Those are all handmade by one of our leaders and the cost would only include the cost of materials - we are not
4) The league involves interacting with lots of people, and a lot of people choose to go with the flow and go with their persona full-scale. We've had people cosplay as existing gym leaders, as well as people go all out and design an original persona for themselves to play. We don't require cosplay or themed outfits, but we greatly encourage it!
I WANT TO SUBMIT MY APPLICATION:
Click here to begin your application!
Applications will close on January 4th, 2017! Get your applications in by then if you don't want to miss out!