As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Digital Card Games] – Finally, a Morrowind sequel

• Options
    Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure Duelyst's time as a notable game is pretty well over. They had an ok game with an original mix of ideas that they never really capitalized on, and now that the big names are moving into CCGs there's no way they could keep up. Especially since some of these games seem actively good rather than "well, it's not Hearthstone". And while I don't expect the Smite game to take off, it looks like they cribbed Duelyst's main distinguishing mechanic and made it more interesting, so that's not a good sign.
    Duelyst's design and core gameplay is still solid for the most part, although I'm not sure it was ever really a particularly notable game from a business stand point. I mean I assume it's doing fine given that they're still supporting it, but it was probably never going to become a big name without some incredible publicity luck.

My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    updates:

duelyst has had a new expansion, with new playable generals
    eternal is in the process of spoiling its next expansion
    hearthstone's next expansion is out on the 7th
    shadowverse probably has had a new release
    elder scrolls legends has put out a new mini-expansion
    gwent continues to continue
    dota 2 card game is still probably a long, long way out

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    please make the new eternal expansion have a wider variety of aoe in different colors

• Options
    also just remove shadow entirely

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    actually add no AoE and remove harsh rule

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

going wide is way too hard to punish presently

conversely, going big is way WAY too easy to punish because fuck shadow

• Options
    edited December 2017
    new purify was a pretty major help though

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

going wide is way too hard to punish presently

conversely, going big is way WAY too easy to punish because fuck shadow

Alright, add more small AoEs, sure. But Wrath just feels horrible in this game, and LSV even agreed with me that it puts a huge damper on the new player experience when I mentioned it in chat.

Maybe I'd be more OK with it at triple green.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    the only reason going wide is easy is because primal and big combrei aren't major players in the meta

these types of queen token decks have been around before - and you should have seen them when Jito was good - and they eventually left the meta because Lightning Storm just shits on them or combrei healer into titan just broke their back

the meta always adjusts to tokens and kicks them out, and the only reason it'll happen at an abnormal time now is because a new expansion is coming out so people aren't putting a ton of effort into adjusting

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    it's not just queen decks, party decks and chalice also go wide

and the problem is something you already mentioned, that storm is the only really big counter to them

or lifegain if you can last long enough to make it matter, but that's not likely in anything except chalice

it just blows me away that fire doesn't have a cheap and viable aoe or that time doesn't have some sort of reasonable fog effect

• Options
    have you considered that some colours are designed to have weaknesses to encourage you to play another colour with it

also, chalice decks are not particularly amazing right now as they're being oppressed by praxis and xenan midrange lists, along with queen

also i have no clue what a "party" deck is. do you just mean a deck that plays scouting party? because those aren't good

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    have you considered that some colours are designed to have weaknesses to encourage you to play another colour with it

also, chalice decks are not particularly amazing right now as they're being oppressed by praxis and xenan midrange lists, along with queen

also i have no clue what a "party" deck is. do you just mean a deck that plays scouting party? because those aren't good

I understand the notion of rock/paper/scissors style of game design, and I view it as a flaw (and one of the major flaws of hearthstone)

chalice was brought up as a deck that can and does go wide, and it's considered tier 3? 2? right now, which is not amazing but certainly something to still consider

also, https://eternalwarcry.com/tournaments/details/SFuM0F-o1nY/ets-world-championships-top-8
    party is a low on the curve sorta midrange that still wants to go wide

• Options
    I will say though, the inclusion of a sideboard in tournament structure pretty much secures my feelings that eternal is the superior digital card game except for maybe magic

but MODO is :rotate:

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    is this thread just for ccgs or can I talk about slay the spire in here

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular

It's digital, and it's a card game, so I think it counts.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »

okay

slay the spire is very good

• Options

okay

I don't understand

since when can card games be good

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

okay

I don't understand

since when can card games be good

it's single-player, that probably helps

• Options
    Speaking of which...

https://youtu.be/AxaMLfI444Q

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    It's kinda funny reading that f2p article because I just tried getting back into hearthstone with the new expansion, and it dumped a bunch of classic packs on me, I had enough dust to craft a legendary that was interesting to me, and a few hundred gold for packs. I've always enjoyed the weird experimental metagame in the first few days of an expansion, but having not saved up thousands of gold for this one I can make half of an interesting deck, and the process of getting the rest of the way there would take way longer than the time when everyone will be using the same 5 net decks.

So yeah, hearthstone's shit f2p model kept me from coming back to it. I dunno if they're running into player retention issues, but the thing where they shoveled classic packs at me when I came back makes me think they wanted me to stay, but the fact that those were classic packs instead of the newest expansion made it so I absolutely wouldn't.

I get that they want people playing and saving gold or money in anticipation for new releases, but when I see a bunch of new toys that make me want to play again, getting one of them and seeing the rest of them locked behind $100 or months of grinding, that really pushes someone like me away.

I wonder how gwent is doing. I liked the gameplay but I felt like decks were to small and easy to draw the entire thing so the better deck would basically always win, regardless of luck or player skill.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Speaking of which...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

If this is a digital version of the physical card game I am pretty turgid about this news.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Speaking of which...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

If this is a digital version of the physical card game I am pretty turgid about this news.

It's taking that as the base but also tweaking lots of stuff.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Speaking of which...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

It's taking that as the base but also tweaking lots of stuff.

Please show me where the money hole is for me to insert said money, then!

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    For those of us unfamiliar, any sort of tease of the actual game would have been welcome in their video. :(

EDIT: I just googled. Fantasy Flight is involved? Please make room at the money hole, I would like to go second.

Cog on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    If this paves the way for a digital version of Netrunner then I am 110% for it.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    That is an Octodad avatar completely unremarkable normal human avatar and I like it very much.

Cog on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    What? No, it's just me as a normal human father.

• Options
    Of course, my mistake. Could you please hand me that precariously full pitcher of grape juice?

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    Everyone play Slay the Spire

It's getting weekly updates and it is fantastic. I cleared a run for the first time the other day and it felt like a real accomplishment.

• Options
    I'm so tilted in Eternal because the only combat trick I think about is Giant Growth (when they have green up) because it's busted and then I always get blown out by like Synchrnoized Strike or Rapid Shot or something instead.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    Everyone play Slay the Spire

It's getting weekly updates and it is fantastic. I cleared a run for the first time the other day and it felt like a real accomplishment.

I'm wondering if they're planning to make the game longer, eventually

• Options
    If anyone's interested, FFI looks to be doing streams on Tuesdays and Thursdays talking about LOTR. The Tuesday one didn't seem to be archived, but today's did.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Gwent is still relevant with a new expansion coming later this month
    Including 111 cards with features such as
    • Discover but it's called Create!
    • Stealth but it's called Immune!
    • Duel - Cards attack each other until one dies!
    • Items!
    • Row limit of 9 cards!
    • Reno Shupe!
    • Half-Reno Ciri!
    • New leaders!
    • and more!
    You can't preorder it because it uses the same kegs! Install Gwent now!

• Options
    A4YTgeO.jpg

WE MILL NOW BOYS

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Gwent is still relevant with a new expansion coming later this month
    Including 111 cards with features such as
    • Discover but it's called Create!
    • Stealth but it's called Immune!
    • Duel - Cards attack each other until one dies!
    • Items!
    • Row limit of 9 cards!
    • Reno Shupe!
    • Half-Reno Ciri!
    • New leaders!
    • and more!
    You can't preorder it because it uses the same kegs! Install Gwent now!

So, what you're saying is that Gwent is on its deathbed if not already dead.

• Options
    Does eternal have a battle of wits equivalent?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Eternal's expansion is OUT!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Eternal's expansion is OUT!

Quicker than anticipated! Figured it'd be at least another week.

kshu0oba7xnr.png