As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A [Chat] of Fry and Laurie

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    simonwolf wrote: »
    I SWEAR TO GOD

DO WE HAVE PACK OF COYOTES OUT THERE OR SOMETHING??????????????????????????

THE 2-3AM HOWLING EVERY NGHT IS WEAR TO GOD

college kids, am I right

Coyotes are allowed to go to college, y'know.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Daredevil is only watchable if you accept the basic premise that Matt Murdock is a shitty person and a huge hypocrite and you're intended to see him that way

If you try to view him as a straight heroic figure it implodes on its own ontological shittiness

It is okay for the protagonist of a show be a bad person

Just gotta be honest with yourself about that.

I thought that was what we were supposed to think?

It's debatable whether this is actual authorial intent, because the show undermines the narrative of Matt being a self-absorbed violent shithead with how totally awesome he is at it

I call this the Breaking Bad Problem

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Daredevil is only watchable if you accept the basic premise that Matt Murdock is a shitty person and a huge hypocrite and you're intended to see him that way

If you try to view him as a straight heroic figure it implodes on its own ontological shittiness

I really do not think that this is how the show presents itself.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    I SWEAR TO GOD

DO WE HAVE PACK OF COYOTES OUT THERE OR SOMETHING??????????????????????????

THE 2-3AM HOWLING EVERY NGHT IS WEAR TO GOD

college kids, am I right

Coyotes are allowed to go to college, y'know.

OBAMA'S AMERICA

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Is wear to god?

A fair question.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Coyotes are everywhere

Except I think our local pack got wiped out by wolves

Yay wolves

So much better

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    I'm going to add "have you ever killed someone" to the list of questions I'm asking the JET Programme applicants I'll be interviewing

if they give you an answer besides a straight "No" then you side-eye that shit something fierce

Watch him get a war veteran who completely breaks down at that question and now simon feels just awful and awkward

as a rule you shouldn't actually ask someone if they've killed someone

because the answer for the overwhelming majority of people is "No", and if it's anything besides no you've just waltzed into an ugly situation of either dealing with a person who is possibly some kind of sociopath, or a person who has had a very complicated life and likely has really complex feelings about their answer.

That knowledge doesn't generally benefit you or make the social situation better

How else am I supposed to know whether they can join my zombie fighting troupe and whether my two further questions apply?

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Coyotes are everywhere

Except I think our local pack got wiped out by wolves

Yay wolves

So much better

um wolves are totally better

you don't see hundreds of nerds wearing coyote shirts, do you?

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2016

he's wracked by guilt and beating out his frustrations on criminals while attempting to atone for his sins.

the punisher is the perfect counter-point to his character because that's a man with very similar skills and ambitions who was not afforded the same comforts or pragmatism.

it's not even some big specific guilt. just general existence type of stuff where he feels better going to sleep at night after having punched a face and being punched in the face but he actually feels like he is making a difference. Matt Murdock does it for himself just as much as he does it for everyone else.

which is a nice change.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    even tho i was exempt from conscripted service, i spent a while after therapy today trying to track down the idf's visual requirements, and it looks like they are slacker than i realized for non combat roles

*runs from problems*

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I'm saying if any of you idiots think people don't notice you or care, they do. We may have minor cliques but this isn't high school.

This from the guy who literally told me I'm not allowed to post in this thread on account of being insufficiently vetted.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    A guy who spends his free time defending people is such a monster. What a total asshole. Better if he just sprayed a bunch of bullets and took down the bad guys!

• Options
    Matt Murdock angsts a whole lot about the idea of premeditated, intentional murder.

And there are people in his life who call him out on being a violent vigilante, but mostly on a level of how dangerous it is to him personally or how it's a risk he shouldn't personally be taking.

Authorial intent paints Murdock as an adrenaline junkie who resolves a lot of personal issues through violence, that he does heroic things for sometimes kinda shitty and selfish reasons

But that those things are still basically heroic and that we should think they're completely bad-ass

This is where I think the show breaks down and kinda implodes from its own gritty realism, because irl that person would be a bad guy

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular

Well...
    I don't remember if it's S1 or S2, but Matt straight-up tells a guy he's torturing, "It's not just that I want to fill the gap where the police can't or won't go. I'm not just beating you up for justice. I like it,"

And then he, like, drops the dude off of a roof or something.

So yeah, the show does tell the audience up front that they're rooting for a sociopath.

With Love and Courage
  • Options

It's debatable whether this is actual authorial intent, because the show undermines the narrative of Matt being a self-absorbed violent shithead with how totally awesome he is at it

I call this the Breaking Bad Problem

Personally, I think that's what we're meant to think about Murdock. Unfortunately it gets undermined a bit by the genre and storyline trappings. They can't do 100% realism otherwise the entire premise would fall apart whenever DD hit someone for real.
    Or dropped them off a building.

• Options
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I'm saying if any of you idiots think people don't notice you or care, they do. We may have minor cliques but this isn't high school.

This from the guy who literally told me I'm not allowed to post in this thread on account of being insufficiently vetted.

Haven't you been here longer than Castle?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Aren't they going to be really surprised, though, when they arrive and
    everything is hybrid robot/organic?

@visiblehowl

I'm not sure if your post is a joke, but
    Andromeda is going to ignore your choices from the original trilogy, including the ending. Andromeda is a new galaxy, and everything that happened in ME3 only affected the Milky Way.

Bioware has steadfastly refused to declare that any of the ME3 endings were canonical. If, in some time in the future they choose to pick one to be the true official ending, I would expect them to pick Red, because that's the most distinct of the three.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Aren't they going to be really surprised, though, when they arrive and
    everything is hybrid robot/organic?

visiblehowl

I'm not sure if your post is a joke, but
    Andromeda is going to ignore your choices from the original trilogy, including the ending. Andromeda is a new galaxy, and everything that happened in ME3 only affected the Milky Way.

Bioware has steadfastly refused to declare that any of the ME3 endings were canonical. If, in some time in the future they choose to pick one to be the true official ending, I would expect them to pick Red, because that's the most distinct of the three.

Definitely a joke.

Although yeah, I didn't think of that until after I'd posted it.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited December 2016

I apologize for that. I hadn't seen you post in here much ever and had an impression you just came in to stir shit up and leave. Now I know you post often and take an interest in everyone.

It wasn't appropriate either way.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    I think we as a group sometimes interact with each other in ways that a person unfamiliar with the dynamic might perceive as hostile or cliquish.

and maybe that is something we can work on improving about ourselves

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Cambiata have you just been lurking in here the entire time?

• Options
    In general, I think vigilantism is amoral and I'm pretty harsh on it as a concept.

The more realistic a show tries to be with its portrayal of the sort of person who resorts to vigilantism, the more I expect from it in terms of exploring how harmful vigilantism is and how it's ultimately bad

This is super double extra true when a vigilante's reason for vigilantism is because they... want to? For like, personal reasons? And not because they have a specific superpower or something and that there are threats only they can handle on account of that.

Luke Cage is really good at this entire business, Daredevil kinda fuckin' sucks at it

• Options
    Matt Murdock angsts a whole lot about the idea of premeditated, intentional murder.

And there are people in his life who call him out on being a violent vigilante, but mostly on a level of how dangerous it is to him personally or how it's a risk he shouldn't personally be taking.

Authorial intent paints Murdock as an adrenaline junkie who resolves a lot of personal issues through violence, that he does heroic things for sometimes kinda shitty and selfish reasons

But that those things are still basically heroic and that we should think they're completely bad-ass

This is where I think the show breaks down and kinda implodes from its own gritty realism, because irl that person would be a bad guy

Plus the narrative paints Murdock's role as necessary and by extension his critics as shortsighted and wrong.
    It can't have it both ways!

• Options

I will say the show delivered the best
    reveal for a character discovering their friend is a super-hero.
    It's the gold standard for me with that subject.

WTF :(
    A guy who spends his free time defending people is such a monster. What a total asshole. Better if he just sprayed a bunch of bullets and took down the bad guys!

?

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Man, I spotted the skfm from day maybe 2 and I still valued his hanging out. He did drop some heavy sadness on us. I felt bad not many other people know who it was cause family was king for that guy.

What was the sadness he dropped

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »

Cambiata's never been as good at shitposting as many of us are

• Options
    edited December 2016
    knitdan wrote: »
    I think we as a group sometimes interact with each other in ways that a person unfamiliar with the dynamic might perceive as hostile or cliquish.

and maybe that is something we can work on improving about ourselves

Yes I see in my post cambiata quoted I said "idiots", and I would not say that without affection. I meant knuckleheads who should know better they were appreciated. I see the error.

Which I do think my general phrase if you idiots think we don't care made clear but still. I can do better.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    we tend to go for the jugular sometimes and I can imagine how it looks to someone whose first glance at chat is a page making fun of certain people's kinks and whatnot.

• Options
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »

Cambiata's never been as good at shitposting as many of us are

I dunno, she can lay down the law pretty good when she wants to. That's why I'm glad I don't get into arguments with her. lol

• Options
    Man, I spotted the skfm from day maybe 2 and I still valued his hanging out. He did drop some heavy sadness on us. I felt bad not many other people know who it was cause family was king for that guy.

His wife miscarried and it has been really tough on them both. Their marriage is suffering a lot. They're trying for #2

• Options
    It's why I really dislike super gritty and realistic portrayals of Batman that try to downplay the superheroic elements and the absurdity of the foes he faces (see: the Nolan films)

Because that Batman is a self-absorbed jerk-ass who uses every tool and advantage at his disposal to satisfy his own fucked up problems and urges and inflicts horrific violence on people because... he has problems?

He's not heroic, he's a narcissistic jerk who believes only he can do what he does and shit and it's all a bunch of fucking fart noises.

Superhero Batman who lives in an absurd superhero world? Okay sure.

But don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016

His wife recently miscarried

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    So that is who that was

Well that's a wound reopened

• Options
    @Cambiata this ain't a clubhouse. you're welcome here. chat should be a place where anyone can just say a thing or give an input

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    It's why I really dislike super gritty and realistic portrayals of Batman that try to downplay the superheroic elements and the absurdity of the foes he faces (see: the Nolan films)

Because that Batman is a self-absorbed jerk-ass who uses every tool and advantage at his disposal to satisfy his own fucked up problems and urges and inflicts horrific violence on people because... he has problems?

He's not heroic, he's a narcissistic jerk who believes only he can do what he does and shit and it's all a bunch of fucking fart noises.

I feel the opposite , I want to revel in the horror of what is portrayed. If we're going to be fascists we may as well make it uncomfortable.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    I will be honest I got suspicious of the recent alt and their true identity pretty much immediately based largely on their expressed opinions on games and game design, especially for RPGs

It's such a particular and uncommon set of opinions, even for this forum, that it made my eyes narrow immediately

I wasn't the only person who noticed, someone called him out by the name at the time.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

Season 2 especially compares him multiple times to an alcoholic

Multiple people think he's pushing them away because of his drug or alcohol problem

They're wrong on the specifics, but not on the selfish harm he's causing to people near him

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

I feel the opposite , I want to revel in the horror of what is portrayed.

I agree that I like the idea of Batman as a broken person fighting other broken people. which is something that good writers explore.

I do not like nolan's version of batman.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

I feel the opposite , I want to revel in the horror of what is portrayed.

That, imo, only works if it's being portrayed as horrible

Like, I'm not a huge fan of DKR as a comic but I will give credit that it portrayed its version of Batman as nakedly fascist and self-absorbed and shit-headed and cruel

Well, at least until Frank Miller got older and got the brain-spiders and decided that fascism was totally awesome...

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I will be honest I got suspicious of the recent alt and their true identity pretty much immediately based largely on their expressed opinions on games and game design, especially for RPGs

It's such a particular and uncommon set of opinions, even for this forum, that it made my eyes narrow immediately

I wasn't the only person who noticed, someone called him out by the name at the time.

Eddy with the goodfellas was shockingly on point

This discussion has been closed.