As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Steam - Final Winter Charity Total: $5,315.84

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I've not played Shenzhen yet, but if it's anything like TIS-100 or Human Resource Machine then the C# comparison isn't really apt. I write C# and JavaScript in my day-to-day, and everything is way more abstract. I never have to think about registers. I seldom think about timing the way one does when programming at a very low level, and I don't really have to care about things like memory constraints. Object orientation, and creating complex objects on the fly makes things very, very different when programming for applications or the web instead of programming against the metal of a specific machine.

It's all problem-solving, but I can visualize the objects that I'm working with and see the database records I'm interacting with. The fact that people use to have to write complex programs in low-level languages is astonishing to me, and I don't realistically think I could do it.

camo_sig2.png
    SumanaiKoopahTroopah
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Lara Croft Go is on Steam now.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/540840/?snr=1_4_4__100

I've played it on mobile and it's excellent.

VikingTeeManRoyceSraphimTalus9952Werewolf2000adHeatwave
  • an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    How do you programmers out there do this day in and day out? I know that Shenzhen is kids play compared to C# et al. but its kicking my ass.

Years of school, years of experience, and pride in our work. Just kidding, it's really tea/coffee, Stack Overflow, and copy-paste.
    ToyD wrote: »
    billions of studs

Only stud I need is right here *looks in mirror*

<Holds stud sensor to body> Just check this out... Uh, I think the battery must be dead. ;-)

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
    shdwcastercooljammer00ElvenshaeCroakerBCTeeManKoopahTroopahToyDdestroyah87Talus9952bloodatonementSteel AngelDaxterMax
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I'm slowly learning how programming works with Shenzhen I/O.
    I've had to crib *alot* of notes from Scott Manley and watching his vids over and over again.
    But the good news is that I've been able to go back to earlier puzzles and figured out how to optimize them to use few lines of code and/or power on my own.
    How do you programmers out there do this day in and day out? I know that Shenzhen is kids play compared to C# et al. but its kicking my ass.

Not to say that Shenzhen I/O is harder/easier than programming, but dealing with waveforms is more circuit design (which is a orthogonal skill), and most people don't have to deal with memory management when programming to the level which this game appears to (a couple of my friends at work have it, I still haven't found the time to dive in, sorry D: ). Assembly programming is a WHOLE different ballgame from a high-level programming language.

Sumanai
  • shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    an_alt wrote: »

Years of school, years of experience, and pride in our work. Just kidding, it's really tea/coffee, Stack Overflow, and copy-paste.

Also the question of "How will I pay for internet, food, shelter, and Giftbombs if I don't have a job?" Right, back to the C# and SQL mines for me. :)

an_altCroakerBCTalus9952
  • AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I've had to crib *alot* of notes from Scott Manley and watching his vids over and over again.
    But the good news is that I've been able to go back to earlier puzzles and figured out how to optimize them to use few lines of code and/or power on my own.

Not to say that Shenzhen I/O is harder/easier than programming, but dealing with waveforms is more circuit design (which is a orthogonal skill), and most people don't have to deal with memory management when programming to the level which this game appears to (a couple of my friends at work have it, I still haven't found the time to dive in, sorry D: ). Assembly programming is a WHOLE different ballgame from a high-level programming language.

This, pretty much. I enjoy assembly programming, because I'm a masochist ( at least, according to other programmers) but the actual puzzles in Shenzen / TIS are actually mainly handled by compilers in the real world - the assembly is generated, and registers are handled pretty much entirely by other systems built previously, by people far smarter (and masochistic) than I, and I just program in my little language, standing on the shoulders of (masochistic) giants.

n57PM0C.jpg
    CroakerBCTalus9952Steel Angel
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular

My phone is bad so it could barely run it, but what I played of it was very good. Of course, like most puzzle games, I got super stuck, frustrated, and gave up.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    It's not even pure assembly, there's also a significant aspect of route and placing, and even boolean logic and an FPGA you can use (which they really should have had bonuses instead of penalties for using)

steam_sig.png
  • imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    I kinda get how to use construct, does that count?

• DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    Finally got done with Dishonored 2! It has its moments, but those are overshadowed by unreliable stealth mechanics (I once had the game fail to trigger the "choke out enemy" prompt while standing right behind guards *four times in a row*), the stealth detection feels spotty, it's poorly optimized, the writing is rigid and unimpacting, and the quick load isn't particularly quick.

I recommend waiting for it to be on sale for ten bucks or so before I can really recommend it. Cool art and spells, though.

Corsini
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Oh hai Mark Steam Thread

signature.png

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
    KarozDarlanQuicalan_altRoyceSraphimAsheEd GrubermanPixelated PixieElvenshaeIoloStollsBeryllineHyphyKezzyElderPaodestroyah87Talus9952DissociaterGear Girlshdwcastermori1972
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    2pwrJmD.png

My library isn't fat @Antoshka, it's big boned.

Karozan_altHeatwaveKalnaurRoyceSraphimStollsBeryllineHyphyKezzydestroyah87PoketpixieTalus9952SkutSkutGear GirlshdwcasterSpoitCorsinimori1972
  • xiearsxiears It isn't sexual Strictly confectionalRegistered User regular

Hopefully they put more effort into the port than they did with Hitman Go. Bugs, terrible controls and broken achievements galore. I loved the game on ios, ended up getting a refund on the steam version.

steam_sig.png
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    All this C talk makes me hate my college choices.

Blade Kitten is fun

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I put my new computer together yesterday! I'm now in the process of copying the roughly 2.5 TB of stuff from my old PC to the new one and it's taking much longer than expected, but hopefully I'll be playing the new DOOM later today.

SmokeStacksIanatorHeatwaveCorriganXElvenshaeIoloBasilStollsBig ClassyHyphyKezzyToyDKoopahTroopahTalus9952JragghenWerewolf2000adKai_SanSumanaiGear GirlKalnaurAntoshkaPolaritieshdwcasteran_altRoyceSraphimhackswordCorsinimori1972DaxterMax
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    In 7th grade I programmed in LOGO, moving a turtle around the screen to make geometric shapes.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Sir CarcassDaimarKoopahTroopahMirkelf3rretTalus9952MaguanoTetraRayElvenshaeKalnaurAntoshkashdwcasterHeatwaveSmokeStacksDrakeWolf of DresdenRoyceSraphimFry
  • ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    Antoshka wrote: »

This, pretty much. I enjoy assembly programming, because I'm a masochist ( at least, according to other programmers) but the actual puzzles in Shenzen / TIS are actually mainly handled by compilers in the real world - the assembly is generated, and registers are handled pretty much entirely by other systems built previously, by people far smarter (and masochistic) than I, and I just program in my little language, standing on the shoulders of (masochistic) giants.
    Spoit wrote: »
    It's not even pure assembly, there's also a significant aspect of route and placing, and even boolean logic and an FPGA you can use (which they really should have had bonuses instead of penalties for using)

So what you guys are saying is that it's like designing using micro controllers? I.... I think I'm going to go look at this game now.

steam_sig.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I'll chime in with the others that Shenzhen looks more like circuits and machine language than any OOP language. I code in JavaScript and HTML all day, it's not so bad. If I had to code in machine language and keep track of memory registers I'd probably burn my desk down.

Talus9952SumanaiPolaritieshdwcasterSteel Angel
  • ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    I'll chime in with the others that Shenzhen looks more like circuits and machine language than any OOP language. I code in JavaScript and HTML all day, it's not so bad. If I had to code in machine language and keep track of memory registers I'd probably burn my desk down.

It's really not that bad. You just have an extra step when using your variables because you have to load them specifically. Plus you can do register shift math which makes some people's skin crawl.

steam_sig.png
    KoopahTroopahPolaritieSpoit
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Apparently I still had some games left in my inventory to give away.
    signature.png

signature.png

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    BeryllinejclastEd GrubermanHyphyKezzyAsheKarozTetraRaySkutSkutElvenshaeGear GirlIoloshdwcasterStollsan_altKalnaurPixelated PixieHeatwaveRoyceSraphimCorsinimori1972
  • Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    @Bobkins Flymo

Another drop in the bucket:

VwfOQGw.png?1

I bought the bundle and 100% of it went to charity. I selected Child's Play but sadly they don't really show you that info on the receipt.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
    HyphyKezzyTalus9952JragghenHiT BiTjclastbloodatonementKarozAsheTetraRaySkutSkutBeryllineElvenshaeIoloKoopahTroopahshdwcasterStollsPoketpixieArcSynKalnaurPixelated PixieHeatwaveTeeManDrakeRoyceSraphimCorsinimori1972DaxterMax
  • Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    ToyD wrote: »

It's really not that bad. You just have an extra step when using your variables because you have to load them specifically. Plus you can do register shift math which makes some people's skin crawl.

Is this bit shifting? Like the << or >> operator in C++/C#?

steam_sig.png
    ToyD
  • AsheAshe Registered User regular
    @Bobkins Flymo

A leetle contribution.
    uayqorba5vly.png

100%ed it to Child's Play.

Also, look, hit a thing with a stick, for sport! Out of the Park Baseball 2017 free to a baseball-loving home.

Loading...?

steam_sig.png
    Ed GrubermanjclastTalus9952TetraRaySkutSkutBeryllineElvenshaeIoloHiT BiTKoopahTroopahshdwcasterKarozStollsHyphyKezzyArcSynPixelated PixieHeatwaveTeeManRoyceSraphim
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    Democracy 3 is fab. On my first attempt, despite a bunch of positive changes to the UK, including big boosts to health, education and the environment, as well as huge drops in crime, I was beaten by an absolute mile at the first general election. Politics is a cruel game.

On the bright side, I wasn't assassinated.

I recommend grabbing it in the latest Humble Bundle if you want to have a play at running a country (into the ground)!

steam_sig.png
    Talus9952IoloDrakeBeryllineRoyceSraphim
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Man, some stages on Assault Android Cactus are a total bitch to get S+ on. I actually left several ungotten in World 4 and decided to advance a bit because after trying and losing my combo in the same stage something like thirty times I was starting to get testy.

And then, after dunking Venom, I arrived on world 5 and was greeted by Centrifuge. See, game, this is what I'm talking about. One robot lady, one gun, one small room, five hundred murder robots, go. That was an absolute blast.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
    cB557PolaritieKarozRoyceSraphimchris: waffle king
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Ashe wrote: »
    Democracy 3 is fab. On my first attempt, despite a bunch of positive changes to the UK, including big boosts to health, education and the environment, as well as huge drops in crime, I was beaten by an absolute mile at the first general election. Politics is a cruel game.

I recommend grabbing it in the latest Humble Bundle if you want to have a play at running a country (into the ground)!

First time I played I was assassinated after two years. Second time (with a little FAQ help) I survived my first term and was so awesome, won reelection with 100% of the vote.

AsheRoyceSraphim
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    I finished Pony Island in about 2 hours yesterday. Its difficult to put into words since I don't want to heap a ton of praise on the game but I also didn't dislike it, it just never wowed me. It knows what it wants to do and doesn't overstay its welcome, and I would consider replaying it to get more tickets in the future.

edited December 2016

First time I played I was assassinated after two years. Second time (with a little FAQ help) I survived my first term and was so awesome, won reelection with 100% of the vote.

My second attempt was going swimmingly. The achievements were piling up, re-elected twice via landslides, we were a crime- and poverty-free, egalitarian, healthy, educated, green UK, mere fingertips from a blissful utopia.

And then the bloomin' capitalists shot me.

Ashe on
    steam_sig.png
    HyphyKezzyKalnaurBeryllineshdwcasterRoyceSraphim
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Man, some stages on Assault Android Cactus are a total bitch to get S+ on. I actually left several ungotten in World 4 and decided to advance a bit because after trying and losing my combo in the same stage something like thirty times I was starting to get testy.

And then, after dunking Venom, I arrived on world 5 and was greeted by Centrifuge. See, game, this is what I'm talking about. One robot lady, one gun, one small room, five hundred murder robots, go. That was an absolute blast.

I definitely don't recommend doing S+ till you've beaten the entire game. That way you have all the androids unlocked and are familiar with all the levels first.

Still, play the way you want and have fun. I still need to S+ all the levels with all androids, which I think I might have through the second or third zone. I just have problems keeping my combo up with Shiitake and Aubergine.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

My second attempt was going swimmingly. The achievements were piling up, re-elected twice via landslides, we were a crime- and poverty-free, egalitarian, healthy, educated, green UK, mere fingertips from a blissful utopia.

You have to throw the opposition a bone even if it prevents a utopia.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    I finished Pony Island in about 2 hours yesterday. Its difficult to put into words since I don't want to heap a ton of praise on the game but I also didn't dislike it, it just never wowed me. It knows what it wants to do and doesn't overstay its welcome, and I would consider replaying it to get more tickets in the future.

How much did you beat it?

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Drascin wrote: »

I definitely don't recommend doing S+ till you've beaten the entire game. That way you have all the androids unlocked and are familiar with all the levels first.

Still, play the way you want and have fun. I still need to S+ all the levels with all androids, which I think I might have through the second or third zone. I just have problems keeping my combo up with Shiitake and Aubergine.

I try to get S+ on at least one android before advancing, but World 4 shortcircuited that. Mostly because just beating the levels is honestly kind of really easy because the life mechanics of this game are super lenient, so I challenged myself to getting one S+ on every level. I allow myself to shift androids for it often - Molly, Cactus, Coral, and Starch excel at different areas!

And yeah, I have legit no idea how you're supposed to keep a combo going on Shiitake. It feels like shifting to secondary weapon kills your combo most of the time due to the combination of switch delay, mine laying delay, and explosion delay.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • MudzgutMudzgut OhioRegistered User regular
    Looks like the drive is moving right along, just wanted to put a reminder out, every time we hit a new increment of $250, another level of VCD will be streamed and hopefully actually cleaned. If we hit Bery's cute stream level, that's FOUR levels cleaned!

Mudzgut's Cleaning Incentive:
    Mudzgut wrote: »
    Was chatting with some folks tonight and decided to go ahead with an inventive for the charity drive this year.

I'm sure we've all heard of Viscera Cleanup Detail and of course its other stand-alone precursor, Viscera Cleanup Detail: Santa's Rampage.

It turns out that VCD has 18 built in levels now. Then another Halloween themed level in DLC. And of course, Santa's Rampage is out there as well. These are listed as taking anywhere from 45 minutes to 3 hours on average and I'm assuming that's for a solo player. Both games have multiplayer and I have one person who has shown an interest in playing the game with me, there may even be another thrown in the mix. The best part about that is they have seen the game, but never played the game. If you know about VCD, you'll know why that's probably going to make things worse in all the best ways.

So here is the incentive, for every $250 dollars, I will stream a level of VCD, starting with Santa's Rampage since it makes sense for the season. With any luck, I'll have some help, but if not - I'll be cleaning solo. The better the charity drive goes, the more janitorial duties I have to perform. Make a mess for the kids!

I know we're already over the initial amount and that's just fine with me, think of that part as a gift inventive for the class you've already shown this time around. Santa's Rampage confirmed.

@Bobkins Flymo - user incentive for the drive. Thanks!

steam_sig.png

Twitch/Mudzgut
    Fall down seven times. Stand up eight.
    IoloKalnaurElvenshaeHeatwaveHyphyKezzyTeeManSumanaidestroyah87BeryllineStollsKarozRoyceSraphim
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

You have to throw the opposition a bone even if it prevents a utopia.

Can't you just murder the opposition and ensure your own version of utopia?
    Sure, technically that's called tyranny, not utopia, but hey, whatever works, right?
    I mean, it worked for the Rebellion against the Empire, right?

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    steam_sig.png

• HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    I just checked out my Steam Library and just found out apparently The Devil lives in my computer!

ssxzg1cilar4.jpg

THE HORROR!

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

JragghenKalnaurIoloElvenshaeSir CarcassHeatwaveMudzgutQuicalTetraRayan_altDrakeBeryllineKetarStollsKarozAshef3rretKoopahTroopahCorsini
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    A reminder to periodically check GOG Connect. They added a few more games you can get at GOG if you own them on Steam.
    I just checked out my Steam Library and just found out apparently The Devil lives in my computer!

ssxzg1cilar4.jpg

THE HORROR!

\m/

HalfazedninjaSir CarcassSmokeStacksDrakeBeryllineStollsKarozRoyceSraphimKoopahTroopah
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    So, too many folks wanted this for me to just gift it to someone:

signature.png

G&T Adventure Team only, I'll hand the Humble Link to the winner on Monday. :biggrin:

I got super lazy about reposting this. In any event, @Jazz is the winnar! Sending the link presently. Also, stay tuned.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    steam_sig.png

JragghenJazzjclastBeryllineElvenshaeIoloStollsKarozRoyceSraphimHyphyKezzyTalus9952Corsini
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I just want to pop in and say that, as every year, I am amazed at the generosity of this thread, especially when it comes to charities.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    skinkbaaKalnaurScratchyan_altDrakejclastBeryllineElvenshaeIoloMudzgutStollsshdwcasterRoyceSraphimGhlinnPoketpixief3rretTalus9952KoopahTroopahmori1972
This discussion has been closed.