As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

a Horizon: Zero Dawn thread - now with cold!

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    There was one thing I did where an electric rattler was pretty good but I don't recall what it was.

Most of the time it's only good for humans in close quarters.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I used the electric rattlers to destroy those stealth robots.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    New patch is up.

QOL improvements for the most part, except for the thing where it looks like they've halved the distance at which you can lure something over with a whistle

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    The rattler is garbage.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I spent hours hunting down parts to buy the shadow rattler then never used it even once

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Been playing this for the past couple of days. Level 33 and I've taken down nearly everything in the bestiary aside from a couple gray icons, which is pretty good considering I only just got to Meridian. Prior to going to the city I was faffing about all over the map looking for Vantages, mugs, flowers, etc. I even went to some places I'm positive I'm not supposed to have gone to yet, like this one Vantage that said it was found near The Mountain That Fell, a giant military thing inside a literal mountain which I couldn't find the entrance to.

Not much is a threat to me at this point unless I get swarmed. I have the majority of the Shadow weapons aside from Blast Sling and I think Tripcaster. Triple arrows tend to bring down whatever I'm trying to kill, even thunderjaws. The only annoyance are glinthawks, who love to swarm and ruin my day with freeze spit. They go down with twin fire arrows, sure, but still annoying.

Current goal is to clear out some side quests, grab more treasures, unlock these tallnecks, and delve into a cauldron or two before resuming the main story again. Speaking of which, going by the Vantages and my own observations here's my early guess at what happened/is happening in the story.
    Okay, so Aloy is either a clone or something close enough to count. She was found in front of an iron door in the mountain, who is called All-Mother. Myths originate from kernels of truth, especially in this world built on the ruins of the old. In old, common lore the only goddess I can think of who would be close to this "mountain" ideal would be Gaia, mother of the Titans. I don't think they went with the Greek lore though, but the more common Earth Mother modern naturism aspect. So my guess is that All-Mother was derived from Gaia, though I have yet to hear Gaia in relation to the story so this may just be a wild guess.

Pressing on, there's clearly something inside the mountain. This is also why I thought of Gaia and the "mother" part of the mythology. The lore of the All-Mother states that those who reside in the Sacred Land are in her eternal memory and that those who don't are not in her eternal memory and thus are deemed The Forgotten. Sounds appropriately mystical for a religion, but again it's gotta be based on something from the old.

Another guess. Inside the mountain, which I'm just going to call Gaia to apply my early theory, is a facility holding genetic information for humanity. The "eternal memory" was derived from its original purpose to preserve humanity through that genetic information in order to reseed the planet after a cataclysmic event. A literal memory bank. Aloy originates from that facility, which was probably programmed to generate her after a set amount of time OR if a condition was met. Maybe by that woman in the Focus video, who I think was talking to the computer when she told it that it needs to listen to her and not Ted. Don't know who Ted is, but there's also the case of the would-be murderers. These people are chasing Aloy to kill her, indicating they know something of her origin and purpose. Maybe they found a different facility and their intrusion tripped a failsafe that caused the Gaia facility to create Aloy?

The Carja though, they worship the Sun. Or do they? Keeping to my idea of their myth based on past truth, I'm of the mind that the original "Sun" was either a powerful machine, weapon, or the very cataclysm that wiped out the world so long ago. Over time the tales of the survivors drifted down generations and became the mighty Sun, a god that ruled over all. This sort of thing seems to be indicated by the King's Fall Vantage point, which says the speaker had seen how the world would end. I don't know what he saw just yet, but I'm guessing the answer lies inside the Mountain That Fell.

Guess I'll find out which of my guess are right soon enough.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    New patch is up.

QOL improvements for the most part, except for the thing where it looks like they've halved the distance at which you can lure something over with a whistle

i didn't even realize the whistle had a maximum range that could be halved

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    There were plenty of times I whistled for a guy and somebody three guys away came over. Which could make things pretty dicey if you actually wanted to be sneaky.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I'm about 50 hours in and really enjoying it

having the option to abuse the aggro leash mechanic on machines has made combat less stressful

it's my GOTY for sure

Xehalus on
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    more games need shielded armor that constanly flicker across you

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I like that I got not a single comment on my magic armor from anybody, lol.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    more games need shielded armor that constanly flicker across you

The sound it makes once it's recharged is the most satisfying shit

I do wish it had a visible armor meter though

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Didn't the latest patch put that in?

• Options
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Didn't the latest patch put that in?

Maybe? I haven't played since I got the Platinum

I'll revisit it one day

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    So the patch that adds the super easy mode has finally brought me back in

I don't really care for the combat, but the story has been cool

I just learned that Ted Faro is a very dumb person

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    It took a long time for the combat to click with me, but once it did, it clicked HARD.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I nearly had a panic attack from how mad I got at Ted Faro

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Accounting for the fact that (I haven't beaten the game so I don't actually know these for certain, i'm just assuming) you never actually meet him, he has no knowledge of the protagonist, all of his actions occurred in the past, and he's long dead. Even with all those things Ted "Shitbag" Faro is easily at or near the top of my list for characters I hate the most within their stories. Fuck that fucking dude.

Aistan on
  • Options
    Boy I was not expecting Lance Reddick's character to just BE Lance Reddick

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Travis Tate is worse than Ted Fero

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I you've finished the main game and think that, I can't disagree strongly enough.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Best character moment in the game might be when Lance Reddick goes "see? this proves that your belief that the earth is flat is false, idiot" and Aloy just goes "wait what I never believed that" and just gives him a list of scientific reasons why and he just goes "...oh"

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »
    I you've finished the main game and think that, I can't disagree strongly enough.

UPDATE: Ted Faro is very bad

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHpovgOvwXw
    So as of tomorrow there will be more game of this to play

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Bought the expansion months ago. I can't wait for more of this game.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Shit man, I just started AC Origins. You're killing me here!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    I'n gonna trade in AC Origins today and get a PSN card

And now I know what to spend it on!

I look forward to more Horizon though it being mostly a snow thing is kinda upsetting, you couldn't ask for something more bland visually

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Snow is awesome.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Oh my god, I'd forgotten that this DLC comes out. Got no time to play this week, but next one I have entirely off and now I know what I'll be using that time on.

I like that thing where she jumps off a Glinthawk to shoot another one, looking forwards to doing that!

• Options
    There's no pre-order bonus or anything, is there?
    If there isn't I guess this'll keep until I'm done with Origins and Odyssey.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    There's no pre-order bonus or anything, is there?
    If there isn't I guess this'll keep until I'm done with Origins and Odyssey.

The only bonus is a PS+ discount that I assume is still active.

• Options
  • Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular

I cannot fucking wait for both of these things

hurry up work day

and time

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    I don't remember how to play this game at all. First fight in the wilds killed me a lot. Think maybe I should go back to the starting area to try and figure out how stuff works again.

I also forgot how incredibly pretty it is.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I’m very impressed by this expansion so far. Lots to do, the snow tech is really something. It’s reminding me why this is my GOTY.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    The voice actor playing Burgrend sounds really familiar but I can't place him.

• Options
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Would it help if he started talking about those damn juicy Advent burgers?
    (It's Gary Anthony Williams)

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Would it help if he started talking about those damn juicy Advent burgers?
    (It's Gary Anthony Williams)

ahhhhhh thanks

I would not have recognized that line, but I knew his voice from "I'm Sorry", which is hilarious

• Options
    New character
    the shaman. Ourea?
    She looks exactly like Robin Wright, yes? I'm not imagining it?

• Options
    Okay as I interact more the impression is not as strong
    That first cutscene though I was really surprised